• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#23861 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

oh didn't catch Promise of Blood on the list.
Yeah, backing up QTs reco, go for it, the whole Trilogy is hella fun, and the new series is shaping up very well too. 2/3 novellas that that you can read after the first trilogy as well.

#23862 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Language

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

View Postworry, on 13 January 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Finished City of Stairs. Liked it but didn't love it. Would put it squarely in the middle of the RJB pack.

My thoughts exactly. City of Blades is a tad better imo, and all in all the series consistently maintains the same level of good-ish entertainment.

#23863 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 January 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

Also listening to Clive Barker's Imajica. Apart from the sex scenes which are irritating, its not bad.

Yeah pretty cringy tbh. Still don't think I liked that book despite enjoying the concept of it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#23864 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Just finished Jonathan French's THE GREY BASTARDS.

That was SO MUCH FUN.
More or less classic fantasy, marches on the edges of Grimdark but never quite goes full dark or grim.
The lead characters are all half-orcs in the classic fantasy sense. The Big Human Kingdom gave a badlands border kingdom to its freed half-orc slaves to act as a buffer between it and the real orcs.
The half-orcs formed into Sons of Anarchy type gangs that ride warboars and rule/patrol their territory. Throw in well written, likeable/unlikeable characters, a plot that swerves but never quite twists, bike-gang politics, shitty human royals, mad wizards, mysterious elves, the odd meddling god, and tribes of insane kill-frenzied centaurs, and you've got a great fantasy story.

Utterly sets the stage for more books but is satisfyingly self-contained. Will absolutely read the next one.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 January 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

Also listening to Clive Barker's Imajica. Apart from the sex scenes which are irritating, its not bad.

Yeah pretty cringy tbh. Still don't think I liked that book despite enjoying the concept of it.

Clive Barker doesn't need me to 'defend' his work, but for its time it was pretty edgy... he was one of the few flat out gay fantasy/horror authors doing some fairly sick stuff at the time (see BOOKS OF BLOOD, which make anything in IMAJICA look vanilla). Point being, for context, Barker was trying to push things a bit. I never thought that was the most memorable thing about the book but many seem to focus on it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23865 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 12 January 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

Started Dragonbone Chain (Bk 1 of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn)

I started my first reread of (MS&T) this weekend, after finishing The Library at Mount Char. I'm really excited to jump back in. It's been at least 2 decades since I read Dragonbone Chair. I can't really remember most of the plot at this point.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#23866 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

Finished "Rapture" last night. It wrapped up well, I was a bit worried after volume 2, but Hurley did some interesting things with this world.

Starting "Luna: New Moon" by Ian McDonald. Given I have about 10 hours of travel in the next 2 days, I'm expecting to get through a good chunk of this.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23867 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 14 January 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

I started my first reread of (MS&T) this weekend, after finishing The Library at Mount Char. I'm really excited to jump back in. It's been at least 2 decades since I read Dragonbone Chair. I can't really remember most of the plot at this point.

I remember being really surprised when the guy in the bloody tutu started massacring the elves.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23868 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

Doing something unusual. Reading the giant superhero webserial - Worm. 40% into it, its really really good.

I would love to read Worm, but I love killing trees. There's no way to read it as the byproduct of a tree...yet.

#23869 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 14 January 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

Doing something unusual. Reading the giant superhero webserial - Worm. 40% into it, its really really good.

I would love to read Worm, but I love killing trees. There's no way to read it as the byproduct of a tree...yet.

I'm waiting for an official ebook, because there's no way I'm reading that massive sumbitch on a computer or my phone. I know there are "pirated" ebooks out there but the author doesn't approve, and my backlog is big enough anyway.

#23870 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

View PostMentalist, on 14 January 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Starting "Luna: New Moon" by Ian McDonald. Given I have about 10 hours of travel in the next 2 days, I'm expecting to get through a good chunk of this.

Great book, think this one has got a good following from malazanites.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#23871 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:24 AM

View PostCyphon, on 14 January 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 14 January 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Great book, think this one has got a good following from malazanites.

Roughly half-way through. Yes. It is quite good.

#23872 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:46 AM

Almost 2/3 of the way through Niven and Pournelle's The Gripping Hand, and they've only just started interacting with the Moties. Way too much scene setting in the early half of the novel.

#23873 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:13 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 15 January 2019 - 02:46 AM, said:

Almost 2/3 of the way through Niven and Pournelle's The Gripping Hand, and they've only just started interacting with the Moties. Way too much scene setting in the early half of the novel.

I remember being terribly disappointed in that book, despite my love for the first.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#23874 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:31 AM

View PostAbyss, on 14 January 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

I remember being really surprised when the guy in the bloody tutu started massacring the elves.

TBH this would vastly improve To Green Angel Tower

#23875 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:59 AM

Shots fired!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23876 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostAndorion, on 15 January 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 January 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

TBH this would vastly improve To Green Angel Tower

Never trust a dude in a tutu and hair helmet made of blood.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#23877 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

So I'm just over the quarter-point mark in James Islington's THE SHADOW OF WHAT WAS LOST (not to be confused with the Tad Williams MS&T novella of the same name), and can honestly say that it's FANTASTIC. Classic-trope doorstopper fantasy with no over-descriptions, a great cast of characters with lots of depth, and it's literally FILLED with twists and turns, and the world building is interesting and complex without feeling convoluted.

I haven't enjoyed a debut novel like this since the first Powdermage novel. Will chime in when finished, but for now it's really hitting the spot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23878 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:43 AM

Finished "Luna", as expected. Solid book, I wasn't sure how well McDonald would be at mixing up cultures after his sequence of "country studies" books, but it works. The plot is solid dynastic politics, and that ending is brutal and explosive. I'll certainly be looking out for the sequel.

Moving on, I need a new commute read. Before jumping into Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, I'll got for the second Fourlands book, "No Present Like Time"

At home, still working through "Ships of Magic", but progress stalled somewhat cause I had a busy couple of weeks so unwinding playing Metro seemed like a less taxing option.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 16 January 2019 - 05:43 AM

#23879 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

Read Fool Moon last night.

about a 1/4 of the way in the pace picks up and doesn't relent, so I just kept reading. A step up in quality from book 1 I'd say, enough to bring me back for book 3

#23880 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 January 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

Read Fool Moon last night.

about a 1/4 of the way in the pace picks up and doesn't relent, so I just kept reading. A step up in quality from book 1 I'd say, enough to bring me back for book 3

Butcher does frantic pacing really well, especially with his first person novels.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users