• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#23901 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

BK, starting Fiery Trials

#23902 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

Read the latest Steph Swainston book, Fair Rebel. Fuck me that really kicked things up a notch on the return to the Castle series. In looking for info on the next book I saw that she's been suffering from cancer and going through chemo, so all the best to her.

Then I re-read Small Gods by Pratchett. It's Pratchett, so it's good, but I always felt this one was slightly overrated and although the re-read did catch one particularly insightful criticism of organised religion I hadn't previously caught, it did otherwise re-affirm that it engages with the subject on a much shallower level than other books, including two by Pratchett himself (Carpe Jugullum and Nation) and is past that neither that funny nor that strong with characters. But it's okay.

Now I'm reading The Tiger and the Wolf, the first in Tchaikovsky's iron-age shapeshifter series. Really drawn me in. I love this kind of pre-Roman setting and wish we'd see more of it in fantasy tbqh.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#23903 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 20 January 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

Read the latest Steph Swainston book, Fair Rebel. Fuck me that really kicked things up a notch on the return to the Castle series. In looking for info on the next book I saw that she's been suffering from cancer and going through chemo, so all the best to her.

I'm reading Book 2 right now, and after a bit of a plodding beginning, things just really escalated in Tris when

Spoiler

I haven't made up my mind on these books yet. The setting is intriguing, but the plots (so far) haven't really grabbed me.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23904 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Bleak Seasons is a very...interesting book. Not sure how this will continue to develop but as of now (like 20% in) this certainly seems to be a whole new level of narrative experiment. Remains to be seen if that works out. From what I've heard, the later books in BC aren't necessarily up to the standard of the earlier ones. Any feelings on that?

#23905 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:01 PM

View PostZetubal, on 22 January 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Bleak Seasons is a very...interesting book. Not sure how this will continue to develop but as of now (like 20% in) this certainly seems to be a whole new level of narrative experiment. Remains to be seen if that works out. From what I've heard, the later books in BC aren't necessarily up to the standard of the earlier ones. Any feelings on that?

For me it's where the series starts to erode, but i acknowledge i'm in the minority with that view even tho i'm right, they're wrong, and the nanites will fix their brainz soon, yessssss, soooooonnnn.....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23906 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

I think the post-Croaker books are very different than the initial trilogy in just about every way possible. I think they're still pretty great, though.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#23907 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:22 AM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 20 January 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Oh goodie! Pass me up and tell me if I ll get my popcorn! I've gotten very little of it so far. Worst book by a mile for me so far if series. Pg 351

Did you notice the mistake on very 1st heading?

Ok, BK I am upto November Year of God 905, and there is just so so so much setup. Its all setup, all the time. And there is so little emphasis on the Charisians, frankly I don't really care about Siddermark at all.

#23908 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

I've rounded the 75% mark on James Islington's THE SHADOW OF WHAT WAS LOST, and I think I can safely say that this is one of the best fantasy debuts I've read since Lawrence or McClellan. It's literally FULL of unexpected plot points and character progressions. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and can't wait to finish it so I can get into book 2!

I haven't seen much chatter about it here (I think Ando has read it?), but you guys should definitely check it out.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23909 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 23 January 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

I didn't think I'd be alone in finding it frustrating. On pg 389.

So BK, I finished it....Posted Image

It doesn't really get better. This entire book is a transitional setup book for the next section of the series. The last chapter ends in a very cool, very "totally shake everything up" way, but other than that.... meh.

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

I've rounded the 75% mark on James Islington's THE SHADOW OF WHAT WAS LOST, and I think I can safely say that this is one of the best fantasy debuts I've read since Lawrence or McClellan. It's literally FULL of unexpected plot points and character progressions. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and can't wait to finish it so I can get into book 2!

I haven't seen much chatter about it here (I think Ando has read it?), but you guys should definitely check it out.

Yeah I read it and the sequel, I liked the first book better to be honest.

It reminded me a lot of Wheel of Time in some ways.

#23910 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

le sigh

more books for the pile

#23911 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

I also finished Worm. Pasting my review here

As for the book itself, its big (obviously!) and complex. Complex not in the sense that a gigantic book is going to have a lot of things going on complex, as it does not really do multiple PoVs, but a single one with interludes, but in the sense that some of the concepts developed and used take some understanding and digesting. Sanderson fans are going to be annoyed that the "magic"(?) system is not really explicated that clearly, but develops gradually from a very nebulous place.

What works for the book is character development. The PoV character arc is superb, and several of the supporting ones are outstanding as well. I have a problem with one character who sort of faded away after the 60% mark, and another who became extremely annoying in the last part, but other than that not a lot of problems.

The worldbuilding is huge and complex. What is worthy of note is that again after the 60% mark the potential scope of the story world balloons exponentially and this manifests to its full potential in the last 20% of the book. The expansion in size of the stage can be compared to going from a football field in the first half to the Russian steppes in the second.

One extremely remarkable aspect of the book is the range and diversity of superpowers. Props to the author for not only imagining a mind-boggling variety of powers but also their very diverse and often disturbing applications. As is emphasized in the book, its less about what powers you have and more about how you use them. Batman would be pleased.

The tone of the book is very dark. The PoV narrator is not a happy person, the world is not one where good things happen. Even before the paradigm shifting events of the last part of the book, the essential world dynamics as set out in the beginning are really quite sobering and worrying. What this book needed was a Deadpool/Spiderman character as humour is sorely lacking.

Lastly, pacing. To be honest, this was my major worry going into this book and I have to say, the author nails it. The events of around 20% in and 70% in could comfortably be finales in any other work. Even when gigantic things are not happening, things are moving, developing and changing all the time.

Its not an easy read, but I will highly recommend it.

#23912 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostAndorion, on 23 January 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

I also finished Worm. Pasting my review here

As for the book itself, its big (obviously!) and complex. Complex not in the sense that a gigantic book is going to have a lot of things going on complex, as it does not really do multiple PoVs, but a single one with interludes, but in the sense that some of the concepts developed and used take some understanding and digesting. Sanderson fans are going to be annoyed that the "magic"(?) system is not really explicated that clearly, but develops gradually from a very nebulous place.

What works for the book is character development. The PoV character arc is superb, and several of the supporting ones are outstanding as well. I have a problem with one character who sort of faded away after the 60% mark, and another who became extremely annoying in the last part, but other than that not a lot of problems.

The worldbuilding is huge and complex. What is worthy of note is that again after the 60% mark the potential scope of the story world balloons exponentially and this manifests to its full potential in the last 20% of the book. The expansion in size of the stage can be compared to going from a football field in the first half to the Russian steppes in the second.

One extremely remarkable aspect of the book is the range and diversity of superpowers. Props to the author for not only imagining a mind-boggling variety of powers but also their very diverse and often disturbing applications. As is emphasized in the book, its less about what powers you have and more about how you use them. Batman would be pleased.

The tone of the book is very dark. The PoV narrator is not a happy person, the world is not one where good things happen. Even before the paradigm shifting events of the last part of the book, the essential world dynamics as set out in the beginning are really quite sobering and worrying. What this book needed was a Deadpool/Spiderman character as humour is sorely lacking.

Lastly, pacing. To be honest, this was my major worry going into this book and I have to say, the author nails it. The events of around 20% in and 70% in could comfortably be finales in any other work. Even when gigantic things are not happening, things are moving, developing and changing all the time.

Its not an easy read, but I will highly recommend it.

Who's the author?

#23913 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Man... finished Lord Foul's Bane / Thomas Covenant #1 and I really didn't love it that much. I didn't dislike it because of Covenant's un-likability or that particular scene that every hates. Most of it was a boring travelogue, and I just felt like I missed something because nothing stood out to me as interesting or important. I really like the idea of it, and I liked the beginning a lot. I like the struggle between committing to this new reality and maintaining his old ways, but by halfway through I found myself thinking "what the hell is he going on about?" any time Covenant said anything.

Is it worth persevering? If I read the next one I'm thinking I'm doing a paper book, not an audiobook, maybe it's the format that's getting to me.

#23914 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

View PostDadding, on 23 January 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

Is it worth persevering?

Definitely, although I might be biased. Each book in the first trilogy changes things up considerably from the book before. (And then the subsequent sequel series take that up to 11.) And the first book is very much the most "traditional" in terms of plot, and easily the weakest of at least the first two trilogies. I'd recommend at least checking out The Illearth War before giving up on the series.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 23 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#23915 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostAndorion, on 23 January 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yeah I read it and the sequel, I liked the first book better to be honest.

It reminded me a lot of Wheel of Time in some ways.

Yeah, it's got a bit of a WoT vibe at points.

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 23 January 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

I fully intended to get when all 3 are released. Love the cover feels of 1-2.

You will like this series. Guaranteed. Book 3 comes out in December.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23916 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:54 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 20 January 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

Now I'm reading The Tiger and the Wolf, the first in Tchaikovsky's iron-age shapeshifter series. Really drawn me in. I love this kind of pre-Roman setting and wish we'd see more of it in fantasy tbqh.

Finished this now, it is highly enjoyable if slightly predictable. The ending seemed a little rushed and easy considering how it was built up but hopefully it's built on in sequels. One minor note bothered me though... I looked back at the map after having read the book and it's rubbish! It just makes no sense whatsoever, either in scale or in the direction various people travel throughout. Makes the world seem really small too when while reading it that wasn't the case.

Now I started reading Flowers for Algernon, which is all very sad and depressing...

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 23 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#23917 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

Rereading Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora

#23918 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 24 January 2019 - 01:29 AM, said:

Love this book. I recommended them to a friend who read them and said 3rd was his favourite. I haven't spoken to him since....

#23919 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

View PostHammerhead88, on 24 January 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 24 January 2019 - 01:29 AM, said:

Love this book. I recommended them to a friend who read them and said 3rd was his favourite. I haven't spoken to him since....

That's so funny! I JUST had this convo with a friend who I recommend books to...she recommended the Lamora series, and I said I'd already read them but that they got worse as they went...and she said she liked the 3rd best....dafuq?

#23920 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Book 3 wasn't terrible. It ended with a very poor sequel hook, but up to that point I quite liked it. While the underhanded election-riggting shenanigans may seem dumb, you have to realize that there are parts of the world where things are STILL done that way- so it's nowhere near as absurd as you may think it is.

The flashback storyline fleshed out the characters, and overall, it was a fun book, up until the point when Lynch decided to suddenly give Locke a "special" backstory.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook