• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#21901 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 February 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

Started HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD and huh, this is not very good.

Ignore the villain of the book when you get there...but the story that is interesting in there is about Albus living in his fathers shadow, and Scorpius living in his fathers shadow, and who those two older men have become long AFTER their exploits. On THAT level...it's a GREAT story...but some of the framing narrative is a little hinky.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#21902 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Ignore the villain of the book when you get there...but the story that is interesting in there is about Albus living in his fathers shadow, and Scorpius living in his fathers shadow, and who those two older men have become long AFTER their exploits. On THAT level...it's a GREAT story...but some of the framing narrative is a little hinky.

Little? They got practically everything wrong in that book. I just pretend its fan fiction

#21903 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 February 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

Little? They got practically everything wrong in that book. I just pretend its fan fiction

Goodreads winner for best fantasy book of the year

#21904 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

I'm not sure what issues you have with it, I found it fine.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#21905 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

Several issues

Spoiler

Also other stuff I am forgetting at the moment

#21906 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Several issues

Spoiler

Replies in red within the spoiler tag.

#21907 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

Finished Ruthanna Emerys' WINTER'S TIDE. Satisfying. I enjoyed the original take on the Cthulhu mythos, even if i found it a bit jarring from the usual. The finale suffers a bit for using magic as a catch-all problem solver, but the characters and world are solid, and overall i enjoyed the book and would consider reading the next one.

Yeah, Tor.com seems to be doing a lot of "contemporary authors in conversation with HPL" recently, and I have to say I'm quite enjoying how they turn out. I found "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" to be dreadfully boring, but Kij Johnson's DREAM-QUEST OF VELLITT BOE is pretty cool. She's off to see Randolph Carter (!) right now...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#21908 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 19 February 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

Finished George Orwell's Down and Out In Paris and London on the way into work this morning. If you've only read his novels, I think you're probably vastly underrating how good Orwell actually was. His non-fiction is riveting and (despite some, what appear to be, missteps primarily due to him being a man of his time, place and class) wonderfully humane.

Total agreement. The sections that consider what the dispossessed owe (or rather don't owe) the rest of society, even when on the receiving end of charity, really did have an impact on the way I think, feel, and act.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#21909 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:11 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Several issues

Spoiler

Replies in red within the spoiler tag.

Replies and additions"

Spoiler

#21910 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:36 AM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

Is that stuff "official" official or did she just say ok you have my permission to make a play now give me your money? This doesn't sound like good stuff imo.

From reading the book/play I got the impression that Rowling had very little input and the authors she gave permission to just did their own thing. I have seen many HP fans say that they will treat it as fan fiction because of this

#21911 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:05 AM

Part of the problem with CURSED CHILD is just the format... it's a theater play script, and that requires certain elements (exposition, lame fx, movement limited by staging) that were never in the HP books or even the movies.
It sets the entire thing off on the wrong foot because the author could be Rowlings' clone and not be able to work with the world the way she did.

At the halfway mark and it's gotten better. ish. Will finish.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#21912 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:30 AM

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

Is that stuff "official" official or did she just say ok you have my permission to make a play now give me your money? This doesn't sound like good stuff imo.

From reading the book/play I got the impression that Rowling had very little input and the authors she gave permission to just did their own thing. I have seen many HP fans say that they will treat it as fan fiction because of this

This is incorrect. She wrote out the story with Thorne and the other author, and then Thorne scripted it. Any story points she not only approved, but had her hands directly in. Rowling is NOT one to let others randomly play in her franchise unchecked. This is not something she does.

#21913 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:37 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 February 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

This is incorrect. She wrote out the story with Thorne and the other author, and then Thorne scripted it. Any story points she not only approved, but had her hands directly in. Rowling is NOT one to let others randomly play in her franchise unchecked. This is not something she does.

Yeah, critique it all one wants, but it's no more fanfic than ICE's books to SE's.

#21914 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2018 - 02:05 AM, said:

Part of the problem with CURSED CHILD is just the format... it's a theater play script, and that requires certain elements (exposition, lame fx, movement limited by staging) that were never in the HP books or even the movies.
It sets the entire thing off on the wrong foot because the author could be Rowlings' clone and not be able to work with the world the way she did.

At the halfway mark and it's gotten better. ish. Will finish.

Yeah I was very unimpressed reading it but I would still go and see it given half a chance!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#21915 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

Also I'm now on RG after finishing ROTCG.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#21916 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

Literally every step towards Golgotterath is immeasurably brutal, beautifully laid out, and sublimely written. It's been a good long while since I read anything this good.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#21917 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

I'm a pace behind you, about halfway through a ROTCG re-read...I forgot how good this book was!

#21918 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 February 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I'm a pace behind you, about halfway through a ROTCG re-read...I forgot how good this book was!

On the topic of Malazan rereads, I finished Deadhouse Gates today. That ending never really loses its impact

#21919 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

On the topic of Malazan rereads, I finished Deadhouse Gates today. That ending never really loses its impact

Yeah Ando I felt the rage and sadness begin to rise as I got closer to the end...

QT yes! And the ending is a really full on convergence that starts about 3/4 of the way through and just keeps picking up pace! So good...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#21920 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

Yeah Ando I felt the rage and sadness begin to rise as I got closer to the end...

QT yes! And the ending is a really full on convergence that starts about 3/4 of the way through and just keeps picking up pace! So good...

It's always blown my mind how the end (THAT end) of DG, has even more impact, even knowing what is coming.
The conclusions of the other storylines are pretty epic too tho. I've always liked that about the book, you get THAT, but then you get that.

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users