• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#21921 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 February 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

Also I'm now on RG after finishing ROTCG.

I'm a pace behind you, about halfway through a ROTCG re-read...I forgot how good this book was!

On the topic of Malazan rereads, I finished Deadhouse Gates today. That ending never really loses its impact

Yeah Ando I felt the rage and sadness begin to rise as I got closer to the end...

QT yes! And the ending is a really full on convergence that starts about 3/4 of the way through and just keeps picking up pace! So good...

It's always blown my mind how the end (THAT end) of DG, has even more impact, even knowing what is coming.
The conclusions of the other storylines are pretty epic too tho. I've always liked that about the book, you get THAT, but then you get that.

Just hit the halfway point of RG. Trying to pick up speed so I can get to my 3rd attempt at RotCG.

I think you and I are at right about the same place right now, BK. Where exactly are you atm?

#21922 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

Lol, I JUST passed that about a day ago.

#21923 User is offline   Fiddler Farstrider 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 February 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

Literally every step towards Golgotterath is immeasurably brutal, beautifully laid out, and sublimely written. It's been a good long while since I read anything this good.

What a fantastic ride. Easily my favorite series outside of the Malazan universe. Brutal, thoughtful and highly cerebral. I felt drained running up to the conclusion, almost in a sweat. Please Mr. Bakker we need more and it sounds like he is up for the challenge.

I would say Bakker's works fall into the Literature category right along side of the best of Erikson. Any other works out there that could be in this sentence?

#21924 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostFiddler Farstrider, on 23 February 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 February 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

Literally every step towards Golgotterath is immeasurably brutal, beautifully laid out, and sublimely written. It's been a good long while since I read anything this good.

What a fantastic ride. Easily my favorite series outside of the Malazan universe. Brutal, thoughtful and highly cerebral. I felt drained running up to the conclusion, almost in a sweat. Please Mr. Bakker we need more and it sounds like he is up for the challenge.

I would say Bakker's works fall into the Literature category right along side of the best of Erikson. Any other works out there that could be in this sentence?

In certain ways i put Stover's ACTS OF CAINE in there, or at least hovering close on the periphery of it, but after that it is hard to think of more.
I suppose Gaiman's SANDMAN graphic novels are just as cerebral, but not nearly as gloriously ugly as Malazan and Bakker can get.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#21925 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

I'm never a fan of the whole idea of distinguishing 'literature' and genre, but if we're talking high-grade, thematically-dense writing in SFF, and we're not mentioning Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, we're doing it wrong. It's very different from Bakker/Erikson, but it's an amazing work.

I also tend to think of The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan in that category, but not everyone agrees. This is one that definitely doesn't get the double-stamp. But if you like theological cyber-mythpunk, and are willing to wait for quite a while before the absolutely nutbar plot comes together into something that makes sense, it's definitely worth a go.

Daniel Abraham and China Mieville are two writers who I like as much but they don't have that aforementioned density of theme, which I kind of guess is part of what you're looking for.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#21926 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:26 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 February 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'm never a fan of the whole idea of distinguishing 'literature' and genre, but if we're talking high-grade, thematically-dense writing in SFF, and we're not mentioning Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, we're doing it wrong. It's very different from Bakker/Erikson, but it's an amazing work.

I also tend to think of The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan in that category, but not everyone agrees. This is one that definitely doesn't get the double-stamp. But if you like theological cyber-mythpunk, and are willing to wait for quite a while before the absolutely nutbar plot comes together into something that makes sense, it's definitely worth a go.

Daniel Abraham and China Mieville are two writers who I like as much but they don't have that aforementioned density of theme, which I kind of guess is part of what you're looking for.

If Bakker is "literature" so is Malazan. And most definitely, Gene Wolfe's New Sun.

Where would you place Gormenghast?

I think that the category of literature is too overblown sometimes - I have read quite a bit of literature that frankly is just not very good. And every time someone starts talking about it, I can't help but remember that old Terry Pratchett quote -

“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”

#21927 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

View PostAndorion, on 24 February 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

When I was younger I tried a number of times to read Gormenghast and didn't get into it at all, so nowhere really. It'll be on the list again at some stage, but not that soon I'd imagine.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#21928 User is offline   Fiddler Farstrider 

• Recruit

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 February 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'll have to check out Hal Duncan, looks interesting. Speculative fiction comes in so many different forms. We have Nobel prize winners who dabbled in the genre. 100 years of solitude by Garcia and the most recent winner Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go is certainly in that genre. Atwood, Bradbury, Zamyatin, Orwell all tried and true authors of speculative fiction that have great critical success but epic fantasy authors still have not broken that threshold.

I've read Mieville, PSS was fantastically odd and disturbing and Abraham's Long Price Quartet was delicate and haunting and I thought very well done.

Of all that I read, only Erikson and Bakker could breach the annals of epic fantasy as literature. But as noted, more importantly first and foremost it must be a enjoyable read with a good story and characters.

#21929 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 February 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 24 February 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

When I was younger I tried a number of times to read Gormenghast and didn't get into it at all, so nowhere really. It'll be on the list again at some stage, but not that soon I'd imagine.

Me too. When i read an article that it was one of Stephen King's favorites I tried twice to get into it but couldnt do it.

Might give it a holler again someday.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#21930 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

Gormenghast IS literature. It's also gorgeous.

And Gene Wolfe is already lauded by so many SFF authors as being the best in the genre. (Le Guin called him "our Melville".)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#21931 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 February 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Gormenghast IS literature. It's also gorgeous.

And Gene Wolfe is already lauded by so many SFF authors as being the best in the genre. (Le Guin called him "our Melville".)

I read that as "our Mieville" at first as was so confused. Though China Mieville is awesome.

#21932 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

Finished Chapter House Dune.
Ask your questions BK

This post has been edited by Macros: 24 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

#21933 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

Which ending.

Spoiler time I guess
Spoiler

In short, it didn't make me want to read more, as I don't think it was intended too. Sure the son says there were notes for dune 7, but I'm sceptical of how much there was. It seems like a fairly natural end point, a clean break as it were from chapter house. And with scytale gone as well, it seems like an end of the atriedes hold on idaho

#21934 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

250 so pages into the second Sandman Slim book, Kill the Dead. Much better, more focused book than the first, but also struck by the same glaring plot holes.

The book is very much driven by "The Rule of Cool" and often leaves ordinary logic behind. There's been at least three times in the book now where things go very bad and instead of using his shadow door ability, Stark drives around the city instead. It makes no god damn sense. I feel like the author made an over powered deus ex machina ability and forgot to build in a reason not to use it.

Also, now the author is stripping Stark of his healing powers?! But why!? Why do writers do this? Don't neuter your characters, turn up the difficulty of the obstacles instead.

#21935 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

About 150 pages into TUC

Spoiler

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#21936 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

In light of the recent announcement, I'm re-reading Consider Phlebas, having last read it 5+ years ago.

#21937 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 February 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 February 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

Started HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD and huh, this is not very good.

Ignore the villain of the book when you get there...but the story that is interesting in there is about Albus living in his fathers shadow, and Scorpius living in his fathers shadow, and who those two older men have become long AFTER their exploits. On THAT level...it's a GREAT story...but some of the framing narrative is a little hinky.

Little? They got practically everything wrong in that book. I just pretend its fan fiction

I'm not sure what issues you have with it, I found it fine.

Several issues

Spoiler

Also other stuff I am forgetting at the moment

Replies in red within the spoiler tag.

Replies and additions"

Spoiler

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

Is that stuff "official" official or did she just say ok you have my permission to make a play now give me your money? This doesn't sound like good stuff imo.

From reading the book/play I got the impression that Rowling had very little input and the authors she gave permission to just did their own thing. I have seen many HP fans say that they will treat it as fan fiction because of this

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 01:59 AM, said:

I've always really wanted the 19 yrs later stuff but I don't want that for sure!

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2018 - 02:37 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 February 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

View PostThe Swampfather, on 22 February 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

Is that stuff "official" official or did she just say ok you have my permission to make a play now give me your money? This doesn't sound like good stuff imo.

From reading the book/play I got the impression that Rowling had very little input and the authors she gave permission to just did their own thing. I have seen many HP fans say that they will treat it as fan fiction because of this

This is incorrect. She wrote out the story with Thorne and the other author, and then Thorne scripted it. Any story points she not only approved, but had her hands directly in. Rowling is NOT one to let others randomly play in her franchise unchecked. This is not something she does.

Yeah, critique it all one wants, but it's no more fanfic than ICE's books to SE's.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2018 - 02:05 AM, said:

Part of the problem with CURSED CHILD is just the format... it's a theater play script, and that requires certain elements (exposition, lame fx, movement limited by staging) that were never in the HP books or even the movies.
It sets the entire thing off on the wrong foot because the author could be Rowlings' clone and not be able to work with the world the way she did.

At the halfway mark and it's gotten better. ish. Will finish.

Yeah I was very unimpressed reading it but I would still go and see it given half a chance!

Just finished HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD.

I don't regret reading (earing) it, but the limits of the format truly limit the story to the point that, having enjoyed the original HP books (and been left mostly meh about the movies), I can't say it was more than just an ok read as a story taking place in a world I have a fondness for.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

Sure, I would see the theater play, but mostly for the same bits, not the overall story.

On to Pierce Brown's IRON GOLD.

ETA ...briefly started Hearne's IRON DRUID short story collection, BESIEGED. Couldn't do it. Atticus in Egypt was ok, Atticus and Will Shakespear's Excellent Adventure was another example of why this narrator should never do accents, and by the time Atticus insulted an earth elemental by call the State of Idaho 'boring', i was out.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#21938 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

Dual reading for once.

In dead tree it's
Christian Cameron's Killer of Men
And on the phone it's
Django Wexlers Infernal Battalion

#21939 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

Alright Assassin's Quest has shown me why most authors skim over the long monotonous travelling sections of their stories.

This book really does rank up there with the sloggiest of slogs.

Now that said, now that Fitz is traveling on the road surrounded by characters that are much more interesting than he is, the book is finally picking up again.

#21940 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostJPK, on 27 February 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Alright Assassin's Quest has shown me why most authors skim over the long monotonous travelling sections of their stories.

This book really does rank up there with the sloggiest of slogs.

Now that said, now that Fitz is traveling on the road surrounded by characters that are much more interesting than he is, the book is finally picking up again.

Yeah, Hobb really doesn't know how to write pacey books. Like at all. I sometimes can't finish them in one go as a result. I recall the second trilogy being a BIT better in that regard....but the third (most recent trilogy) jumped back to the sluggish pacing of the first. Her first book in the series is inarguably the best simply because it's the shortest and most "to the point". The bloat comes after.

This is not to imply they are not good books...but they can be VERY sluggish.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users