• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27441 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:53 AM

Finished A Deadly Education a week or so ago. Found it a fun, not overly deep, read. Definitely enjoyed it and will be reading the next when it comes out in the fall.

Currently two thirds of the way through The Hidden City, which I picked up after reading raves about the House War series here. Planning on stopping by a couple used book stores tomorrow to see if I can find the more of the series without ordering online.

#27442 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:29 AM

You're both getting old. Maybe you just need to browse the Large Print section.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27443 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:47 AM

Briar King, on 08 July 2021 - 03:24 AM, said:

Maark Abbott, on 07 July 2021 - 07:39 AM, said:

Briar King, on 06 July 2021 - 11:52 PM, said:

I think I'm pretty close to putting Dreamblood down. I think I'm also pretty close to putting Gaunt 11 down to. I think I'm pretty close to reading nothing at all. I've not not had a book to read since age 11. Hopefully I snap out of this before it gets there but I just don't feel like it once I pick a book up these last 2 months or so.

This is what Kings of the Wyld did to me. Took me eighteen months to get a proper book in my hands again and not even Erikson could lift that funk.

It's a strange and shitty feeling yet I can I think no longer not ask myself if at present I'd be better off without anything for a time. It's an inconceivable prospect after a constant 30 years of reading something.

See for me it was a reaction to what I was reading. "Shite like THIS is what publishers think people want to read?" - and from there a spiral into an eighteen month funk where I couldn't stomach a novel at all.

re Irvine - I'm not hugely impressed so far to be honest. His characters have a tendency to infodump in a very unnatural way and some of the character interactions don't really flow at all. Suspension of disbelief getting flimsy.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27444 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

Gwynn ap Nudd, on 08 July 2021 - 02:53 AM, said:

Finished A Deadly Education a week or so ago. Found it a fun, not overly deep, read. Definitely enjoyed it and will be reading the next when it comes out in the fall.

About halfway through this, very much enjoying the fantastic world building. Expecting El to do something pretty nuclear before the end!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27445 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:41 PM

Maark Abbott, on 08 July 2021 - 07:47 AM, said:

I think I'm pretty close to putting Dreamblood down. I think I'm also pretty close to putting Gaunt 11 down to. I think I'm pretty close to reading nothing at all. I've not not had a book to read since age 11. Hopefully I snap out of this before it gets there but I just don't feel like it once I pick a book up these last 2 months or so.

This is what Kings of the Wyld did to me. Took me eighteen months to get a proper book in my hands again and not even Erikson could lift that funk.

It's a strange and shitty feeling yet I can I think no longer not ask myself if at present I'd be better off without anything for a time. It's an inconceivable prospect after a constant 30 years of reading something.

See for me it was a reaction to what I was reading. "Shite like THIS is what publishers think people want to read?" - and from there a spiral into an eighteen month funk where I couldn't stomach a novel at all.

No. The issue is that publishers exist to make money...and for most of their existence they've not cared how that happens, whether it's dreck or literature...will it sell? And in the case of KINGS OF THE WYLD, it sold like hotcakes, so they were right even if you hated it.

If you want your art to be elevated beyond that, and only want to read art beyond that then that's absolutely cool...but the notion that publishers want to do anything beyond "make bank" is kinda silly.

Hell, those stupid Shades of Grey books not only made tonnes of cash worldwide, they were parlayed into films too...and they seem like they are written by a set of brain damaged orangutangs.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27446 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:41 AM

QuickTidal, on 08 July 2021 - 12:41 PM, said:

Maark Abbott, on 08 July 2021 - 07:47 AM, said:

No. The issue is that publishers exist to make money...and for most of their existence they've not cared how that happens, whether it's dreck or literature...will it sell? And in the case of KINGS OF THE WYLD, it sold like hotcakes, so they were right even if you hated it.

If you want your art to be elevated beyond that, and only want to read art beyond that then that's absolutely cool...but the notion that publishers want to do anything beyond "make bank" is kinda silly.

Hell, those stupid Shades of Grey books not only made tonnes of cash worldwide, they were parlayed into films too...and they seem like they are written by a set of brain damaged orangutangs.

True, 50 Shades and Justin Bieber are also massive sellers, despite being absolute garbage.

Even so, the despair and demoralisation that book caused for my reading was pretty immeasurable. I think that Witness 1 will be the first new new book I've bought in absolutely years, when I can finally get hold of one.

#27447 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

Taste is subjective.
in your opinion Kings of the Wylde was shite, in my opinion it was a lot of fun. My dad loved it too, judging by the sales we weren't alone.
You love Bakker, personally I find his work fucking dreadful, but publishers keep publishing shite like that....

(I agree with you on the Bieber and 50 shades front)

#27448 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:53 AM

Macros, on 09 July 2021 - 10:49 AM, said:

Taste is subjective.
in your opinion Kings of the Wylde was shite, in my opinion it was a lot of fun. My dad loved it too, judging by the sales we weren't alone.
You love Bakker, personally I find his work fucking dreadful, but publishers keep publishing shite like that....

Bear in mind that I (correctly) hate Spinal Tap so this is likely why I (also correctly) found Wyld to be awful.

Man imagine if we ever had beers together. Shit would be wild. Grumpiness unknown to this world...

Anyway Irvine continues to have fucking wacky pacing. His stuff is a bit all oert oyle. Hopefully it picks up soon but it has that million mile a minute pacing that I don't get on with ever.

#27449 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:42 PM

Maark Abbott, on 09 July 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

Macros, on 09 July 2021 - 10:49 AM, said:

Taste is subjective.

Bear in mind that I am cold and dead inside. Also, a communist. Possibly a Cylon.

ftfy
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27450 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:15 AM

Clear that none of you have even read Bieber's fantasy series and are just haters.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27451 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 08 July 2021 - 09:10 AM, said:

About halfway through this, very much enjoying the fantastic world building. Expecting El to do something pretty nuclear before the end!

Finished this book, utterly loved it. Definitely getting the second one when it comes out.

Are Novik's other works worth checking out? I remember some kind of discussion about it at one point but who knows what was said...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27452 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:50 PM

Brian Stavely's Empire's Ruin is really great. It makes most sense if you've read Skullsworn in addition to the three Unhewn Throne books. I was very surprised he went the direction he went with the main characters and it paid off beautifully.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27453 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:43 PM

Going to read War of the Wolf by Bernard Cornwell as I still haven't quite finished that series. Always enjoy going back to this series when I've got a break between books (TGINW arriving next week!)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27454 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:31 AM

Tiste Simeon, on 10 July 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Tiste Simeon, on 08 July 2021 - 09:10 AM, said:

Finished this book, utterly loved it. Definitely getting the second one when it comes out.

Are Novik's other works worth checking out? I remember some kind of discussion about it at one point but who knows what was said...

Glad you enjoyed it too. Uprooted is definitely worth reading. I enjoyed Spinning Silver, but not so much that I would put it on my highly recommended list. When I asked previously, others thought more of Spinning Silver than I did, but most didn't seem overly thrilled with the Temeraire series. I have not read any of the Temeraire books, so can't give you my opinion on them.

#27455 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 July 2021 - 01:39 PM

Finished Sullivan’s latest NOLYN (really solidly great!), and ended up in a reading slump (WILLING still hasn’t shipped...arg)...

So jumped back into an old comfortable familiar and am rereading Gemmell’s TROY series.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27456 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:13 AM

I've been in the worst funk Reading. I've barely read anything in the last 6 months. Between working constantly and the fam I just let it slip.

Well that ends today! Today i make time to start reading again, cause i enjoy it dammit.

Even worse, I think the last new series i read was the Dagger and the Coin series. Yeah, I know.....

Gonna wrap up the 2 below, then dig into something fresh.

I should find Midnight Tides to wrap up my re-read, but its in a box in the basement and digging through that sounds exhausting. Were cleaning out the basement before school starts this fall, i'll find it then.

Gonna finally get around to a re-read of the Lord of the Rings. I've read it 3-4 times, but its been way over a decade since my last. Read the first half last night, and it just like a comfortable old friend.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27457 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

I have Witness 1 now. Tempted to fuck off Irvine for a bit and read me some Erikson.

#27458 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

Maark Abbott, on 12 July 2021 - 07:36 AM, said:

I have Witness 1 now. Tempted to fuck off Irvine for a bit and read me some Erikson.

Dooooo eeeeeet ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27459 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:51 PM

I have emailed BookDepository and asked them why the fuck they'd have a PRE-ORDER option for it when they don't ship it out the day it hits the streets (Jul 1st)....because here we are 12 days later and it's not shipped to me and there's been no communication at all. This will be the last time I pre-order from BookDepository...I'll just pay the shipping next time from AZ UK.

Ridiculous.

#27460 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

QuickTidal, on 12 July 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

I have emailed BookDepository and asked them why the fuck they'd have a PRE-ORDER option for it when they don't ship it out the day it hits the streets (Jul 1st)....because here we are 12 days later and it's not shipped to me and there's been no communication at all. This will be the last time I pre-order from BookDepository...I'll just pay the shipping next time from AZ UK.

Ridiculous.

I had also asked them, and they replied:

We are currently experiencing some delays obtaining stock from our suppliers. We expect to receive stock imminently. Your patience and understanding is appreciated at this time.

Once we have stock this title will be dispatched to you. If you do not wish to continue with this order, please advise and we can cancel this for you. I am very sorry that we could not have been of more assistance in this matter.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Not helpful!

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. pat5150