• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27461 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 12 July 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 12 July 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

Maark Abbott, on 12 July 2021 - 07:36 AM, said:

I have Witness 1 now. Tempted to fuck off Irvine for a bit and read me some Erikson.

I have emailed BookDepository and asked them why the fuck they'd have a PRE-ORDER option for it when they don't ship it out the day it hits the streets (Jul 1st)....because here we are 12 days later and it's not shipped to me and there's been no communication at all. This will be the last time I pre-order from BookDepository...I'll just pay the shipping next time from AZ UK.

Ridiculous.

I had also asked them, and they replied:

We are currently experiencing some delays obtaining stock from our suppliers. We expect to receive stock imminently. Your patience and understanding is appreciated at this time.

Once we have stock this title will be dispatched to you. If you do not wish to continue with this order, please advise and we can cancel this for you. I am very sorry that we could not have been of more assistance in this matter.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Not helpful!

I could understand if these were normal orders, but pre-orders should not be suffering any setbacks like this. The whole point is that you get a pre-orders and you line up your orders to come in so they can go out release day...otherwise it's not a pre-order at all.

I'm probably just griping but I'm annoyed.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27462 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Question for you Gene Wolfe fans.

Everyone says that these books must be reread to be fully appreciated. Do you recommend doing a full read of the Solar Sun Cycle before going back to the beginning? Or should I read The Book of the New Sun, and then reread it before continuing on to Urth of the New Sun?

I've only just started BotNS. I'm enjoying it, but that's typical for me with the beginning of a new series.

#27463 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:04 PM

Briar King, on 12 July 2021 - 03:54 PM, said:

Urth is the coda to New Sun so yes read New 1st.

I will definitely read BotNS first. My question is whether I'm supposed to read BotNS twice before moving onto Urth.

#27464 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:55 PM

QuickTidal, on 12 July 2021 - 01:51 PM, said:

I have Witness 1 now. Tempted to fuck off Irvine for a bit and read me some Erikson.

I have emailed BookDepository and asked them why the fuck they'd have a PRE-ORDER option for it when they don't ship it out the day it hits the streets (Jul 1st)....because here we are 12 days later and it's not shipped to me and there's been no communication at all. This will be the last time I pre-order from BookDepository...I'll just pay the shipping next time from AZ UK.

Ridiculous.

We are currently experiencing some delays obtaining stock from our suppliers. We expect to receive stock imminently. Your patience and understanding is appreciated at this time.

Once we have stock this title will be dispatched to you. If you do not wish to continue with this order, please advise and we can cancel this for you. I am very sorry that we could not have been of more assistance in this matter.

Not helpful!

I could understand if these were normal orders, but pre-orders should not be suffering any setbacks like this. The whole point is that you get a pre-orders and you line up your orders to come in so they can go out release day...otherwise it's not a pre-order at all.

I just got an email that mine shipped today. I'm hoping that you get a notification soon as well.

#27465 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:03 PM

End of Disc One, on 12 July 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Everyone says that these books must be reread to be fully appreciated. Do you recommend doing a full read of the Solar Sun Cycle before going back to the beginning? Or should I read The Book of the New Sun, and then reread it before continuing on to Urth of the New Sun?

I've only just started BotNS. I'm enjoying it, but that's typical for me with the beginning of a new series.

I agree with BK. You can do Urth in sequence without having to do two reads of BotNS first. Coincidentally, I'm currently working on my third read through of SWORD OF THE LICTOR. I can confirm that this is a very rewarding series to reread. My advice to you as a new reader to the series is to take this slow and pay attention like you would a Malazan novel.

#27466 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:30 PM

Are you going to include the Short Sun and Long Sun in the reads?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27467 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 July 2021 - 02:53 AM

JPK, on 12 July 2021 - 08:55 PM, said:

Ridiculous.

Not helpful!

I just got an email that mine shipped today. I'm hoping that you get a notification soon as well.

I got my shipping notification earlier today too.

#27468 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:47 AM

Started on Widnes.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27469 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 13 July 2021 - 02:53 AM, said:

JPK, on 12 July 2021 - 08:55 PM, said:

Ridiculous.

Not helpful!

I got my shipping notification earlier today too.

I got the "We are experiencing delays" email...so maybe next up will be my shipping one?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27470 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:46 PM

amphibian, on 12 July 2021 - 09:30 PM, said:

Are you going to include the Short Sun and Long Sun in the reads?

Yeah, will plan to read through the full Solar Cycle

#27471 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 13 July 2021 - 02:38 PM

I've only read the Long Sun books once. Still need to read Short Sun, but I want to reread Long first (which is what is holding me back, to be honest.)

BotNS, however, I have reread half a dozen times (with Urth only a couple of times) and it gets richer every time. I think you definitely get more out of a BotNS reread after reading Urth.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27472 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 13 July 2021 - 02:48 PM

Salt-Man Z, on 13 July 2021 - 02:38 PM, said:

I've only read the Long Sun books once. Still need to read Short Sun, but I want to reread Long first (which is what is holding me back, to be honest.)

BotNS, however, I have reread half a dozen times (with Urth only a couple of times) and it gets richer every time. I think you definitely get more out of a BotNS reread after reading Urth.

I would read Short asap. It's some of his best work. I have read all of Sun, have yet to do reread, but I think about it.

#27473 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2021 - 03:13 PM

Salt-Man Z, on 13 July 2021 - 02:38 PM, said:

Same same exactly.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27474 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:52 PM

Wait,

you're telling me I actually got a book before you canadian bastards?

HO YEAH!!!!

#27475 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:44 AM

Macros, on 13 July 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

Wait,

you're telling me I actually got a book before you canadian bastards?

HO YEAH!!!!

I am also loving all the references to the BOTF stuff in this.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27476 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:58 PM

Posting here. Thought about putting it in the messing with groove thread in the Phoenix Inn, but I think more eyes will pass across this post and possible help can come from putting it here.

So on the Amazon site, there is a "Look Inside" feature, where you can click on the image of the book which will bring up the first few chapters (or so) for viewing. This is no longer working for me. I've done all the obligatory - delete cookies, clear cache, etc. and "Look Inside" still doesn't work. Do any of you guys have this issue?

#27477 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:08 PM

Finished The God Is Not Willing -- 5 Stars.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27478 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:52 PM

Briar King, on 14 July 2021 - 10:46 PM, said:

I actually went to go buy it today. No luck… The temp store is in the mall which for some reason doesn’t open up the stores till 11 AM atm. Pissed me off. I wasn’t going to join the old people power walkers to wait. So no new Malazan book for me today.

You can't get it in the US yet unless you have it shipped from overseas. US release is in Nov.

#27479 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:39 PM

Getting into nk jemisin. Good stuff. When is Black future month is a collection of short stories and is excellent. Onto her other stuff. Also just read rothfuss, NothW was fine but overrated after all I’ve heard of it. I haven’t read like I used to for years and am just back into it and it feels glorious.
Error: Signature not valid

#27480 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:34 AM

I cancelled my $15 Amazon US Kindle preorder of THE GOD IS NOT WILLING, and bought the UK Kindle version for like $14 instead. I'll probably read that next, it's been like 5 years since I've read any Erikson.

In the meantime, I've been reading Tanith Lee's SECRET BOOKS OF VENUS. Like the SECRET BOOKS OF PARADYS I read last year, it's a series of disconnected stories set in a fantastical alternate-world version of a real city (Paradys=Paris, Venus=Venice).

The first book, FACES UNDER WATER, took me a while to get into, but really hooked me a ways in: a little bit of a murder-mystery/thriller in a neat setting. I'm currently on the second book, SAINT FIRE, which is proving quite interesting, if not nearly as gripping, about a young girl with the ability to call down fire who catches the eye of the Catholic church, and one knight in particular.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users