• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24221 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

View PostAptorian, on 23 March 2019 - 05:28 AM, said:

Added Permafrost to my Kindle library. No idea when I'll get around to reading it.

I grabbed it as well. :p
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24222 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

I lied. I'm 40% into Permafrost. It's good though the real timey wimey stuff hasn't kicked in proper yet. But it is good.

#24223 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

Finished Permafrost.

A fine time travel story, a la twelve monkeys but I'm not as hot on the book as Stone monkey. It's a competent time travel take but not much more than that. I was hoping for more recursive nonsense and paradoxes.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 23 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

#24224 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Since I'm already on Kindle, I skipped the next Belgariad or Cormoran Strike book and jumped into Kelanved's Reach.

In to chapter 2 it's a fast moving book.

On a side note, using kindle on my phone rather than my old kindle tablet is a revelation. Maybe it's just because it's a phone app or maybe my old Kindles are out dated, but the interface and options are so much more versatile and user friendly on my phone.

#24225 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

View PostMentalist, on 23 March 2019 - 06:04 AM, said:

Finished "Angels and Demons". What a twisted little drama this turned out to be.

Now I feel tempted to just power through a Da Vinci Code re-read (I originally read it in a day), and then also read "Last Symbol" (I got it as a gift many years ago; I should probably read it).

If you enjoyed ANGELS and CODE, you probably shouldn’t.

In commute, finished "Gunmetal Magic" . A bit too heavy on the emotional side for my tastes, but once the murdering of mythical things took centre stage, it became a good urbf fix. There's another novella in the volume, but I think I need to power through that at home, so I don't finish it in half my trip home from work and then get stuck with no book.

The struggle is real. ... I suspect the second story is either Magic gifts or Magic Mourns. Either is worth the read.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24226 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

I'll second the pooping on Dan Brown. His novels are fine, cool suspense novels, but if you've read more than one of them, you'll realize they're all the same formula. Twist follows twist follows twist.

Angels and demon and Davinci are his best books, the rest just feels like rehashes.

As for Kelanved's Reach, I'm twenty percent in. Like the last two I am surprised by how much I enjoy Esslemonts writing now.

I agree with the criticism that the books pace is too fast and I want much more detail but the writing is really solid. There's absolutely no fat that needs to be cut away. Every chapter, every pov is great and the book just goes and goes.

#24227 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

Re: Permafrost - and seeing as it was only published in the last week...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 23 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#24228 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

Well, when you put it like that, my brain just feels all full of fuck!

I guess there are layers or time related Chess moves to factor in, but the plot on the surface could have used a bit more oomph.

#24229 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Of course, I may just be overthinking the text a little. Which is what I do, I suppose :p
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#24230 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:59 AM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Finished "Angels and Demons". What a twisted little drama this turned out to be.

Now I feel tempted to just power through a Da Vinci Code re-read (I originally read it in a day), and then also read "Last Symbol" (I got it as a gift many years ago; I should probably read it).

If you enjoyed ANGELS and CODE, you probably shouldn't.

In commute, finished "Gunmetal Magic" . A bit too heavy on the emotional side for my tastes, but once the murdering of mythical things took centre stage, it became a good urbf fix. There's another novella in the volume, but I think I need to power through that at home, so I don't finish it in half my trip home from work and then get stuck with no book.

The struggle is real. ... I suspect the second story is either Magic gifts or Magic Mourns. Either is worth the read.

I will always argue that if you read Angels and Demons, and only Angels and Demons, you would consider Dan Brown to be a very competent thriller writer.

#24231 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:50 AM

If you enjoyed ANGELS and CODE, you probably shouldn’t.

It was Magic Gifts. Makes sense, since it takes place same time as events of Gunmetal. Anyway, finished now. Cool background bits on the Neo-Vikings.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24232 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

View PostAndorion, on 24 March 2019 - 12:59 AM, said:

If you enjoyed ANGELS and CODE, you probably shouldn't.

I will always argue that if you read Angels and Demons, and only Angels and Demons, you would consider Dan Brown to be a very competent thriller writer.

I’d extend that to CODE.

Unfortunately everything else of his i’ve read, the opposite.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24233 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

Finished Black Leopard Red Wolf. Like I said before, it's a long, sometimes difficult book, and the first third or so is dedicated strictly to character and world building. The plot doesn't really kick in till about then. Once it does, it's actually (and somewhat surprisingly) a quest fantasy, and a really smart, engaging one at that, full of well-drawn characters, tension, and some truly great monsters. I really zoomed through the back half (after I took a short break), and so much of what happens is rewarding due to all that stage-setting before. I'd still say its closest antecedent, in my limited familiarity, is Book of the New Sun, though Tracker is a much different personality than Severian, and it's eventually more plot-driven, with the promise of bigger things to come.

I will say, for such a long book there aren't that many errors in it (have it on Kindle). But the ones that are there aren't typos so much as when the author or editor misidentifies who said what (like, wrong pronoun) and you have to go back through the dialogue chain to the last person identified to make sure who said what. That only happens two or three times, but with this writing style it always stands out.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24234 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

Oh and now I'm gonna read Permafrost, just to see what's up!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24235 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

Looked up the blurb for Black Leopard Red Wolf.

Tracker is known far and wide for his skills as a hunter: "He has a nose," people say. Engaged to track down a mysterious boy who disappeared three years earlier, Tracker breaks his own rule of always working alone when he finds himself part of a group that comes together to search for the boy. The band is a hodgepodge, full of unusual characters with secrets of their own, including a shape-shifting man-animal known as Leopard.

As Tracker follows the boy's scent—from one ancient city to another; into dense forests and across deep rivers—he and the band are set upon by creatures intent on destroying them. As he struggles to survive, Tracker starts to wonder: Who, really, is this boy? Why has he been missing for so long? Why do so many people want to keep Tracker from finding him? And perhaps the most important questions of all: Who is telling the truth, and who is lying?

Drawing from African history and mythology and his own rich imagination, Marlon James has written a saga of breathtaking adventure that's also an ambitious, involving read. Defying categorization and full of unforgettable characters, Black Leopard, Red Wolf is both surprising and profound as it explores the fundamentals of truths, the limits of power, the excesses of ambition, and our need to understand them all.

Is this secretly the dark gritty fantasy version of the jungle book and is Mowgli actually the chosen one?

#24236 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:45 PM

View Postworry, on 24 March 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

I'd still say its closest antecedent, in my limited familiarity, is Book of the New Sun, though Tracker is a much different personality than Severian, and it's eventually more plot-driven, with the promise of bigger things to come.

Yup, this was exactly my take. The GoT comparisons are assinine. New Sun isn't a perfect comparison (it's also much less densely written, for one thing), but it's way closer.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24237 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

I am very much enjoying the Raven Tower by Ann Leckie.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#24238 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

What is reading?

All around me are familiar faces...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24239 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

209 pages into King's The Stand. Not sure how much more I'll read today, as I seem to be coming down with a wee cold. Going to venture out to the store to get some aspirin...

#24240 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 March 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

Are you trying to make a funny hunny?

No, I'm totally fine, I prom--cough cough cough...--ise.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 27 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google