• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#20961 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Speaking of Sanderson. I finished Steelheart.

It's a disappointingly mediocre book. It wasn't as much of a clone of Mistborn book one as I'd feared but it's incredibly formulaic. It's like he attempted to replicate the American action film formula, where you have a team of badasses that all fill out generic roles. Like the tough no nonsense girl, the charismatic but mysterious leader, the sensitive muscle dude, the guy with the mouth and quirky personality, etc.

It's a book about super villains taking over the world but there's so little about the story that actually concerns itself with super powered people. It's frustrating and boring. There's so much you want to know about what happened in the aftermath the Epics emerging but the book goes out of its way to ignore it. The book also telegraphs most of its twists or reveals so inelegantly that you have to roll your eyes.

It's not all bad though. As a Young Adult novel it's sort of okay. It has plenty of action and it moves fairly quickly. The dialogue can be fun all though it remains juvenile though out.

Because I'm a masochist, I'm going to read the sequel but so far I wouldn't recommend the series. 3/5 Epics.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 29 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

#20962 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 29 September 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Speaking of Sanderson. I finished Steelheart.

It's a disappointingly mediocre book. It wasn't as much of a clone of Mistborn book one as I'd feared but it's incredibly formulaic. It's like he attempted to replicate the American action film formula, where you have a team of badasses that all fill out generic roles. Like the tough no nonsense girl, the charismatic but mysterious leader, the sensitive muscle dude, the guy with the mouth and quirky personality, etc.

It's a book about super villains taking over the world but there's so little about this books that actually concerns itself with super powered people. It's frustrating and boring. There's so much you want to know about what happened in the aftermath the Epics emerging but the book goes out of its way to ignore it. The book also telegraphs most of its twists or reveals so inelegantly that you have to role your eyes.

It's not all bad though. As a Young Adult novel it's sort of okay. It has plenty of action and it moves fairly quickly. The dialogue can be fun all though it remains juvenile though out.

Because I'm a masochist, I'm going to read the sequel but so far I wouldn't recommend the series. 3/5 Epics.

I read the series. Found it meh. There was just barely enough novelty and twists to hold my interest, with considerable skimming even so.

I did finish it tho'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20963 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Can't say I was disappointed in the Blaine stuff at all. After all, he's

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20964 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

PARADOX BOUND, Peter Clines.
3 chapters in... ...y'know... this guy is fast becoming one of my favorite authors., and I'm starting to enjoy his no EX-HEROES stuff more than that series.
He has a great talent for taking the ordinary, working in an element of the extraordinary, and then slowly but steadily building to crazy shit, as he did in 14 and THE FOLD.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20965 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

View Postworry, on 29 September 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Can't say I was disappointed in the Blaine stuff at all. After all, he's

Spoiler

WP, don't read this until after Wizard and Glass.

Spoiler

#20966 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

I don't agree with any of that, I'm afraid! Including the wait between books. And nothing pleases me more than authors throwing a monkey wrench in people's expectations or desires for plot progression, and W&G is -- by far -- my favorite book in the series in part because of, not despite, its detour-ish nature.

#20967 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:30 AM

View PostHoney Cups, on 29 September 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 September 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 29 September 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Started reading Arcanum Unbounded. I might actually end up doing a Sanderson reread.

That whole book is pretty great (with some SOLID info from the Worldhoppers on the Cosmere itself!)....but that last story is the damned BEST! You're in for a treat!

Still bitter there was no Nalthis in it(Warbreaker). Feels like a crime. Good stuff in it though. Don't read the thread in BS.

Hang on, hang on, direct me the worldhopper stuff!

I have already read Emperor's Soul, 11th metal, the other mistborn story, 6th of the dusk, and Shadows for Silence, Just started Edgedancer.

#20968 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

View Postworry, on 29 September 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

I don't agree with any of that, I'm afraid! Including the wait between books. And nothing pleases me more than authors throwing a monkey wrench in people's expectations or desires for plot progression, and W&G is -- by far -- my favorite book in the series in part because of, not despite, its detour-ish nature.

I agree with that on all counts. W&G is, also, by far my favourite book in the DT series.

View PostHoney Cups, on 30 September 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 29 September 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

Indeed. I forgave it just because bk 4 is epic. I was infact a bit bitter going into 5.

I should really read 4.5 but I'd need to do a reread. Will do in 2022

Oh and if I'm not mistaken I believe there is some graphic novels set around then?

Yeah. There's one graphic novel series (consisting of five arcs/mini-series) which retells the events of W&G and some stuff beyond it, which is excellent, even if one has already read W&G. It then continues with several new arcs, one of which retells The Little Sisters of Eluria, none of which I can comment upon because the artist changed and without a book to follow the problems I'd had with Robin Furth's writing became too glaring for me and I stopped reading.

As for me, I've finished The Chosen and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I couldn't help wishing the book was told from the protagonist's father's point of view, 'cause I'm not into teenaged protagonists at all. Also, didn't much care for the love story towards the end, which felt tacked on in light of the last chapter. Still, I loved the setting and the election storyline, so on to The Standing Dead, and lo and behold, a Sardian PoV in the first chapter. Hell yeah!

This post has been edited by Puck: 30 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#20969 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

I did admit from the beginning that I'm in the minority with my views on W&G. I think that's the wonderful thing about opinions, you can all be wrong and I'll still like you all anyways. ;) Regardless, I think we can all agree that the story contained in W&G is really a wonderful work that deserves the read.

As far as my current read goes, I'm around 70% on The Causal Angel. There's been so much awesomesauce in this book I don't even know where to begin.

#20970 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

Finished reading The Battle of Britain by James Holland. Absolutely excellent read with a very necessary larger perspective than just the air war.

#20971 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostJPK, on 30 September 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

I did admit from the beginning that I'm in the minority with my views on W&G. I think that's the wonderful thing about opinions, you can all be wrong and I'll still like you all anyways. ;) Regardless, I think we can all agree that the story contained in W&G is really a wonderful work that deserves the read.

Just to be clear, my above post was not meant as 'Your opinion is wrong' (though...). I'm just a worry fangirl and jump on any opportunity where our opinions match :wacko:
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#20972 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Finished up Half a War and the series got a bit more First Lawish during the last book and I probably enjoyed the first and second book more then the third. Still pretty good and entertaining all the way though, if it hadn't been entertaining the list of flaws and things that normally would have annoyed me would be long thou.

Next is either Provenance by Ann Leckie or The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis, guess I'll test both and see which of them catches my interest.

#20973 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

Finished Nichalas Sparks' A Walk to Remember. Distinctly juvenile.

Reading: Dunkirk by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore,

An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington,

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Also rereading The Way of Kings.

#20974 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Okay, so I've been doing my Malazan re-read, and I'm nearing the end of RotCG, and I mean obviously it's all great (interestingly, especially with the Erikson books, once I got into the second half of the series- I just finished RG before jumping back to RotCG, I found the flaws I percieved on first read to be a lot less visible when read in the context of a whole 10 book story rather than one novel) but I have one thing that's bugging me (that I'm asking here because I don't know which inactive book forum to put it in): what the fuck is up with Kallor?

Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#20975 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Spoiler

#20976 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:30 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 October 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Okay, so I've been doing my Malazan re-read, and I'm nearing the end of RotCG, and I mean obviously it's all great (interestingly, especially with the Erikson books, once I got into the second half of the series- I just finished RG before jumping back to RotCG, I found the flaws I percieved on first read to be a lot less visible when read in the context of a whole 10 book story rather than one novel) but I have one thing that's bugging me (that I'm asking here because I don't know which inactive book forum to put it in): what the fuck is up with Kallor?

Spoiler

Regarding Kallor,

I am not entirely sure. I
Spoiler

#20977 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

Did you see the World Hopper post?

Oh yeah I saw that. I read all the pre-chapter stuff about each system. Then I went on the Coppermind wiki and read up about 17th Shard and all the different shards. Cleared up a lot of stuff. BK did you know someone has compiled all those chapter-starting epigraphs from WoK and WoR on the Wiki?

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

Finished Dresden 2 onto 3.

No gaze.

Didn't Dresden soulgaze Marconi at some point?

#20978 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostAndorion, on 02 October 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

Spoiler

Regarding Kallor,

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just my thoughts on the matter. That, or he just didn't care.

This post has been edited by Puck: 02 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

#20979 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2017 - 02:35 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 02 October 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

Did you see the World Hopper post?

Oh yeah I saw that. I read all the pre-chapter stuff about each system. Then I went on the Coppermind wiki and read up about 17th Shard and all the different shards. Cleared up a lot of stuff. BK did you know someone has compiled all those chapter-starting epigraphs from WoK and WoR on the Wiki?

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

Finished Dresden 2 onto 3.

No gaze.

Didn't Dresden soulgaze Marconi at some point?

I didn’t. I ll look up at some point before November.

Yes he gazed him in bk1. I’m referring to Kitsu Murph gaze he told me to pay attention to that he thought might be in bk 1 or 2. It’s probably in 3 I think considering what the arc theme is.

Ok, I looked it up again.

Spoiler

#20980 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostAndorion, on 02 October 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

Spoiler

Regarding Kallor,

Spoiler

I don't really think that
Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users