• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 02 October 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Spoiler

Wall of text incoming, beware...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Puck: 02 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#20982 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

OK I know I'm gonna get some sick for this cos I asked about it ages ago and was warned off it but anyway...

I'm reading the Magician's Guild series by Trudy Canavan. I got it for free and thought I'd give it a go.

It's bad. It's pretty darn bad. Yet it's really easy and work is pretty stressful at the moment so it's nice to read some dumb escapist stuff. I'm still waiting for my friend the final two Uthred books that he borrowed off me...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20983 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

Finished "The Dark Defiles" . It goes a long way towards redeeming the series, but I still can't say I love it.

Next for the commute I'll probably end up reading the next Kate Daniels. I think it's "Magic Breaks" this time.

At home, "origins of political order and political decay" is proving to be one of the most interesting things I've read in the past few years. I'm seriously regretting letting it sit on my bookshelf idly for so long.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#20984 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:52 AM

I finished Flynn's Memorial Day. It was a fun, easy read. Back to the White Luck Warrior.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#20985 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 September 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

PARADOX BOUND, Peter Clines.
3 chapters in... ...y'know... this guy is fast becoming one of my favorite authors., and I'm starting to enjoy his no EX-HEROES stuff more than that series.
He has a great talent for taking the ordinary, working in an element of the extraordinary, and then slowly but steadily building to crazy shit, as he did in 14 and THE FOLD.

Almost done... this book is SO GOOD.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20986 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 04 October 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

...Back to the White Luck Warrior.

Or have you already gone back to it, and looked back at yourself reading it, and then put it down and watched yourself put it down to get a glass of water while you're drinking a glass of water while watching yourself drink the glass of water you got while putting the book down?

#20987 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

The Core.

Don't you people judge me. I doubt it will end strong, but I have a lot of time and some literal blood invested in this story - I need to see it through to completion.

#20988 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

View PostJPK, on 04 October 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

The Core.

Don't you people judge me. I doubt it will end strong, but I have a lot of time and some literal blood invested in this story - I need to see it through to completion.

I'm seeing a lot of 5 star reviews on Goodreads, but these are the same people who gave every book in the series 5 stars. I'm interested to see what you will think.

#20989 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 October 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

OK I know I'm gonna get some sick for this cos I asked about it ages ago and was warned off it but anyway...

I'm reading the Magician's Guild series by Trudy Canavan. I got it for free and thought I'd give it a go.

It's bad. It's pretty darn bad. Yet it's really easy and work is pretty stressful at the moment so it's nice to read some dumb escapist stuff. I'm still waiting for my friend the final two Uthred books that he borrowed off me...

I remember reading that Magician trilogy by her about a decade ago. It was like angsty teenage Harry Potter set in the most stereotypical fantasy setting possible. Every page was a chore but I remember finishing it because the premise reminded me a little bit of Pug and Raymond Feists mages.

But boy were those books bad.

#20990 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

3 chapters in... ...y'know... this guy is fast becoming one of my favorite authors., and I'm starting to enjoy his no EX-HEROES stuff more than that series.
He has a great talent for taking the ordinary, working in an element of the extraordinary, and then slowly but steadily building to crazy shit, as he did in 14 and THE FOLD.

Listening to this on audiobook and second Abyss. I like his non zombie books more than the Ex-heroes series at this point.

In book form - finishing up City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. I read through the first two books in the trilogy over the weekend and cannot put them down. Anyone have thoughts on his other works?

#20991 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostStalker, on 04 October 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

In book form - finishing up City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. I read through the first two books in the trilogy over the weekend and cannot put them down. Anyone have thoughts on his other works?

American Elsewhere is fricking awesome. Very different to the Divine Cities series as the title indicates - it's more of a 'something is odd about this town' story if ya get me.
Would make a real good TV show actually...

Not read any of his other other work yet.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#20992 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:46 PM

American Elsewhere is his best stand-alone, followed by his debut Mr. Shivers (a horror-fantasy set in Depression era America -- quite good). The Troupe (an ambitious big-supernatural story set in the outskirts of the Vaudeville circuit) is pretty good, but doesn't really hit the nail on the head compared to contemporaries like American Gods and Library at Mount Char. His weakest is The Company Man, a noir-ish detective story set in a fictional retro-industrial American city w/ oddball advanced tech. One of those stories where the city itself should be a character, but it never quite gets there -- would probably work better as a movie, frankly.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20993 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:50 AM

Reading An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington.

I am not sure about this book. It's really focussing on the worldbuilding and the backstory, which is good, but the writing quality in general is... meh.

There have been around 4 chapters that have closed with the protagonist fainting/being knocked out and then waking up in the next chapter. I really hate this lazy plot device.

Also 80% into Whispers Underground - Peter Grant No. 3 by Ben Aaronovitch, and while I quite like it, the blurb was written by a drunk person. One of the two major elements mentioned hasn't shown up yet, while the other one has just shown up once.

#20994 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:43 AM

View PostStalker, on 04 October 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Listening to this on audiobook and second Abyss. I like his non zombie books more than the Ex-heroes series at this point.

Just finished it. Let me state here for the record, PARADOX BOUND by Peter Clines is frikkin awesome.

Very different in tone and setting from his zombie and Lovecrafty books, but the sheer sense of wonder and headlong pace is all there and it utterly works. I have to give him credit... time travel is a difficult thing to write well and the setup he worked with here was far from easy, but he made it work. Even the hand waving of the occasional complexity works in the context of the story. Some may find it a bit MuricaRahRah at times, but I didn't think the book suffered for it at all. Far from it, I don't think many other countries would have worked for the story he wanted to tell here.

Great book, utterly worth your dollars and eyetime, the earbook narrator Ray Porter is brilliant if you go that route.

#20995 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

View PostAndorion, on 05 October 2017 - 01:50 AM, said:

Also 80% into Whispers Underground - Peter Grant No. 3 by Ben Aaronovitch, and while I quite like it, the blurb was written by a drunk person. One of the two major elements mentioned hasn't shown up yet, while the other one has just shown up once.

For whatever reason the crap blurbs are a thing with the Peter Grant books and you might as well get used to ignoring them.

#20996 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 October 2017 - 03:35 AM, said:

I like the map in Grace of Kings but the directions are messing me up.

It's W and making me tilt my head to north.
S N
E

Ed: well that's weird directions aren't lining up in cross formation once it's posted..

PBC forums (and most public internet spaces in general) don't allow you to post more than one space at a time. You want to use full stops for that. Like so:

..W
...S.N
.....E
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#20997 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

Does this work?

.....W
S butts N
.....E
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20998 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 04 October 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 October 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

I remember reading that Magician trilogy by her about a decade ago. It was like angsty teenage Harry Potter set in the most stereotypical fantasy setting possible. Every page was a chore but I remember finishing it because the premise reminded me a little bit of Pug and Raymond Feists mages.

But boy were those books bad.

Yeah... Not sure how much more I can take...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20999 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 October 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 04 October 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

...Back to the White Luck Warrior.

Or have you already gone back to it, and looked back at yourself reading it, and then put it down and watched yourself put it down to get a glass of water while you're drinking a glass of water while watching yourself drink the glass of water you got while putting the book down?

What kind of witchery is this? How do you know these things?

Is it bad that I'm frustrated by some of the philosophical shoe gazing and just want to see Achamian drop some gnarly gnostic magic bombs on people?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#21000 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 05 October 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

PBC forums (and most public internet spaces in general) don't allow you to post more than one space at a time.

HTML in general displays all consecutive whitespace as one single space.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users