• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

US Cover vs UK Cover

#21 Guest_erisi236_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:25 PM

MoonStar said:

I have the UK cover... in fact I've never seen the American cover in book stores. I quite like the UK cover... but I like the US one too. I just think the US cover kinda says "same ol' fantasy".

Thats the thing tho' when I bought the book I was looking for something fantasy at the time, I saw that cover and went "Bingo!" :D

As for the UK cover might that be Tayschrenn outside of Pale? :Erm:

#22 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

No, the perspective is funky, but I think that's supposed to be Rake beginning the Enfilade at Pale.

The US cover is a crime against MBOTF, and I for one think SE should press charges...

#23 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

I don't really care for either cover, though the UK one is clearly superior to the US. The design of the title is much better on the UK one. Anyway, neither one would catch my eye in a bookstore. It was seeing Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice next to each other (two wicked awesome covers) that first caught my eye.

#24 Guest_Dephere_*

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:12 AM

Personally I like the darker color scheme on the US cover, but overall I like the UK version better.

Now, I have a strange question...do all of the covers have the girl standing in front of the horse?

My cover is strangely lacking her. She is no where to be found. Does anyone know?

I am kind of worried that she may have crawled out of the book and remains hidden in some part of my house, I might lose sleep over this.:eek3:

#25 Guest_Malazan Frog_*

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

I don't love the US cover, yet I find the UK cover to be quite generic also.

The US art for Deadhouse Gates rocks!!!

^_^

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Dephere said:

Now, I have a strange question...do all of the covers have the girl standing in front of the horse?

My cover is strangely lacking her. She is no where to be found. Does anyone know?

I am kind of worried that she may have crawled out of the book and remains hidden in some part of my house, I might lose sleep over this.:eek3:

lol... iirc she was in.... then she was out.... and she may be back in again.
There were a couple of versions done.
But if you find her in your house... you might need a can opener ;)

#27 Guest_Dephere_*

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:19 AM

lol. Oh, okay. Well, that makes me feel a lot less worried.

#28 User is offline   caliban 

• Recruit

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:59 AM

the us cover looks like a mills and boon cover!soppy romantic serialisation krap for menopausal women whereas the euro cover looks like a fantasy book cover !

#29 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:46 AM

Sorry aka the girl on the cover was removed for the Mass Market Paperback edition of the novel. Mostly because there was probably no room to fit her into the picture as well in that size atleast.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#30 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:52 AM

And because there's no way in hell anyone who read the book could possibly have pictured Sorry looking anything even remotely like that. ;)

#31 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

Yeh the front cover screams same old fantasy in my opinion. It also shows sorry wearing such impractical armour (although quite nice ;)) that it makes no sense. Even though rake doesnt fire lightning from his sword the uk one is better

#32 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hands down, the UK versions of the books have nicer covers. There is no question about that!;)

Just wrote my book review of GARDENS OF THE MOON, by the way. Check the blog if you are interested in reading what I thought about it. Don't worry, I found the novel amazing!:D

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

Very nice review.... you sound almost as enthusiastic about it as I am.

Can't wait to read what the reactions are when the ASoIF board picks it up now that you've posted your link there.... ;)

I also can't believe that you've been carrying out interviews etc. without having read the books *raises eyebrows*

anyway, back to GotM - it remains one of the finest *first books* I've ever read too.

#34 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:07 AM

Yeh its a great stand alone book as it finishes quite nicely but still leaves massive gaps for a sequel.

#35 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hi Hetan,

The interview gig was rather easy, especially since I knew so many people who had read the Malazan books. If you look carefully, you'll realize that the first interview I did contained mostly "general" questions. Those all came from me, and the answers usually would be interesting even to someone who has not yet read Erikson's novels.

When I secured that interview, I did post about the fact that I was accepting questions from the fans. I then double-checked with a few trusted SE fans to make sure that those questions I selected would not get me a RAFO answer.

The combination of both made for an extremely enjoyable Q&A. The second one, however, contained questions that mostly came from the fans. And since they were always asking for something in particular, SE did not always open up the way he did with the first one, for it would have spoiled storylines, etc.

In any case, even though I had not yet read his work, I couldn't possibly pass up the chance to interview Steven Erikson, right!?!;)

Patrick

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

For sure...I wasn't implying criticism and I'm sorry if it came across that way.. merely surprise, but then again, I'm sure you get through a book or two a year ;)

#37 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:20 PM

No worries, Hetan! You didn't come across that way.;) And yes, I do read a book or two a year!:D

Pat

#38 User is offline   Ellestra 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

Fun Facts:
US GotM cover picture was used in as a cover for famous polish author new instalment of his best known series.
It actually fits better there :)

Polish cover of GotM was than by the same guy who did US cover but for competly different book.
It actually fits better :D :)
Evolution, just like gravity, works even if you don't believe in it.

Stupidity doesn't hurt but it kills.

#39 User is offline   Malarion 

• Malarion
  • Interests:Reading...writing...drinking

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

Werthead said:

The UK cover doesn't look like Pale to me. It's far too small, more of a fortified castle than a full-scale city.

Curiously I thought this too, and then I saw this picture of it.

http://www.espejosde...article109.html

The city looks a lot wider when the picture is shown in its true width.

And as to the debat...well, I always preferred a scene from the book to just some mindless posing, so I prefer the UK version, despite its inaccuraces.

#40 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

Well, I just guess they let somebody draw a picture, and if it more or less looks like a typical fantasy cover, it gets printed.
No real indication the artists actually read the books:

GoTM: Did anything happen corncerning lightning blasting sword wielding women attacking fortresses (fortress, where?).
DG: Who do we know trudging around the whirlwhind on horses? Supposed to be Sha'ik, Karsa, Leoman, L'oric... dunno.
MoI: Clearly a bunch of T'lan Imass drawn by someone who got the description from the geanycologist of his cousins' cleaning lady. And drawing hands is clearly not his strongest point.
HoC: Did I Exaggerate on the dog statues...oh well.
MT: Weren't TE a race of somehow beautiful people, just like their Andii and Liosan cousins. And wasn't Trull considered somekind of hottie (Pedac seemed to think so). Well why does Trull look like me when I would have spent two weeks in the bath tub. Not really a centerfold is he?
BH:...next week lads... *happy dance*

The artists don't have time to read all those books so they just ask around, read the back,...

I remember a thread about a guy claiming he had to draw the cover for MT, and he asked for some explanation...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users