Malazan Empire: The (original) Michelle West Discussion Thread - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The (original) Michelle West Discussion Thread A thread to discuss, well you probably worked that out...

#61 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 April 2023 - 02:54 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 April 2023 - 02:51 PM, said:

They did not, and dramatis personae lists DO NOT work well in earbook (Malazan being an exception).

LOL, I would forget the first bunch of names by the time the narrator got to the last bunch of names, nevermind as I read the book!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#62 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2023 - 03:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 April 2023 - 02:54 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 26 April 2023 - 02:51 PM, said:

They did not, and dramatis personae lists DO NOT work well in earbook (Malazan being an exception).

LOL, I would forget the first bunch of names by the time the narrator got to the last bunch of names, nevermind as I read the book!

That's exactly what has happened here. I'm reading that list (many thanks for posting!) and I'm like "huh I have no recollection of ever hearing any of these names!"

Thanks to you and Pat for the endless questions. I can say I am really enjoying this book now and you both have helped with that. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#63 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 26 April 2023 - 04:31 PM

The Broken Crown is Michelle West's Gardens of the Moon. If you can get through it and enjoy it, the rest should blow you away!

Unlike GotM, I feel that The Broken Crown gets easier and easier to understand the more you read. But yeah, the first half is slow-moving and can be confusing at times. There's no getting around that. . .
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#64 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:37 PM

Finished City of Night (turns out I was reading that one after finishing Hidden City). Pretty good. I think people looking for tons of action are going to have a tougher time with all the character work. This is closer to Robin Hobb style work and the stakes smaller, yet intimate.

I will definitely continue. Taking a wee detour due to work/family obligations right now.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#65 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:35 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 April 2023 - 08:37 PM, said:

Finished City of Night (turns out I was reading that one after finishing Hidden City). Pretty good. I think people looking for tons of action are going to have a tougher time with all the character work. This is closer to Robin Hobb style work and the stakes smaller, yet intimate.

I will definitely continue. Taking a wee detour due to work/family obligations right now.

Truth to tell, anyone looking for tons of action would also have a tough time with The Sun Sword. Stakes are much higher and the worldbuilding is amazing, but characterization remains the most important aspect of Michelle West's works that I've read thus far.

Glad to see that you've enjoyed the first two House War books. I always doubted that it would be good entry point in West's universe, but I'm glad to be proven wrong. :)
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#66 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 29 April 2023 - 11:30 PM

@QT:

Got a question for you. No poiler, just yes or no since you've read more than me. Are there any hints or allusions of other countries/continents in West's world? It feels a bit weird that this eon-spanning conflict is always fought on a land as big as two European countries. . .

#67 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:01 PM

It's been a few days since I finished Sea of Sorrows and it's crazy how that book has stayed with me. I'm reading Mark Lawrence's latest, but all I want is to finish it so I can jump into The Riven Shield.

If anyone would like to read my review, you can find it here. One of the few 10/10 in the history of the Hotlist. :)

#68 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:13 PM

I'd like to read the review but am scared of spoilers. Will I be ok?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#69 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:28 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 May 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

I'd like to read the review but am scared of spoilers. Will I be ok?

Given that you're still on the first volume, reading a review of the fourth one would spoil certain storylines because you're not up to date yet.

So maybe wait?

#70 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:18 AM

Yeah I figured that might be the case. Ah well.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#71 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:41 PM

So I'm on Chapter 15.

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#72 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 May 2023 - 03:41 PM, said:

So I'm on Chapter 15.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 May 2023 - 03:52 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#73 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:13 PM

Finished The Hidden City over the weekend and really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing where it goes next...

Though I just subjected myself to spoilers... thought I was reading the synopsis for book 2... nope it was book 4 and that provided some info I certainly didn't want to know! Bloody hell...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#74 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 03 May 2023 - 05:03 PM

So I'm on Chapter 15.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#75 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:14 PM

View Postpat5150, on 03 May 2023 - 05:03 PM, said:

So I'm on Chapter 15.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll admit the chapter where Kiriel and Yvane go to Kalakar and the introduction of the Ospreys is my favourite bit so far. I'm not saying I didn't like the in depth world building and the intricacies of the in-world gender politics, but man I'm ready for some dope fantasy stuff to happen!

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#76 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 May 2023 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'll admit the chapter where Kiriel and Yvane go to Kalakar and the introduction of the Ospreys is my favourite bit so far. I'm not saying I didn't like the in depth world building and the intricacies of the in-world gender politics, but man I'm ready for some dope fantasy stuff to happen!

Spoiler

Spoiler

#77 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:27 PM

View Postchamp, on 03 May 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

Finished The Hidden City over the weekend and really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing where it goes next...

Though I just subjected myself to spoilers... thought I was reading the synopsis for book 2... nope it was book 4 and that provided some info I certainly didn't want to know! Bloody hell...

Haven't read that blurb, but since the 4th volume deals with the aftermath of the Sun Sword, I reckon that you've subjected yourself to quite a few revelations you weren't meant to know!

#78 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 03 May 2023 - 09:11 PM

View Postpat5150, on 03 May 2023 - 08:27 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 03 May 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

Haven't read that blurb, but since the 4th volume deals with the aftermath of the Sun Sword, I reckon that you've subjected yourself to quite a few revelations you weren't meant to know!

Recommendation to all, don't be a dumbass like me and read it.

I did pretty much stop after the first sentence but that was probably the worst part I guess, alas the damage was done. Read it and was like nope, nope, nope that's not right... delete from brain!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#79 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 06 May 2023 - 01:52 AM

115 pages into The Riven Shield and it's really good so far. :)

My only concern is that this is essentially the first half of what was meant to be the final volume of the Sun Sword, so I'm not sure how well it will stand on its own. . .

#80 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:40 PM

I'm approaching the 40% point on The Broken Crown.

On a completely totally unrelated note: I just ordered physical copies of each of the Sun Sword books.

So yeah, I'm in this for the long haul. I'm loving everything about this. Thank you for the recommendations QT and Pat.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users