Malazan Empire: The (original) Michelle West Discussion Thread - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The (original) Michelle West Discussion Thread A thread to discuss, well you probably worked that out...

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:05 PM

So

I thought after the discussion today I'd start this dedicated thread to all things Michelle West. It seems there's a lot of us at least on the cusp of reading some of her works.

QT is the local expert it seems so go bother him with any big questions but I for one will hope up use this as a place to sort out what's actually going on.

The thing is I'm listening to it and as such a lot of the names and ranks can get a bit confusing because a lot of them sound the same even if when written down they may be different.

Remember spoiler tags where needed! I'll post my thoughts in a bit, relating to the first few hours of material I've listened to.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:14 PM

Feel free to ask me questions, but I am only 7 books into the overall series thus far, so my knowledge is confined to those books....but world building stuff and characters stuff I can probably answer to a satisfactory degree.

Thanks for starting the thread Tiste!

For Tiste's (and anyone else's benefits)

The Southern Dominion of Annagar (please note that the Annagarians are deeply patriarchal):

Tyr'agar - Ruler of the Dominion

Tyr'agnate - Ruler of one of the Five Terreans of the Dominion (Think of them like Dukes, and their fiefs)

Tyr - A sort of short form of address for the Tyr'agar himself, or the Tyr'agnate's

Tyran - Personal Bodyguard of a Tyr

Tor'agar - A noble who serves a Tyr

Tor'agnate - A noble in service to a Tor'agar.

Tor - Same as Tyr, but for Tor'agar/Tor'agnate

Toran - You get the picture here right? a personal bodyguard of a Tor

Ser - A clansman

Serra - The primary wife and legitimate daughters of a clansman.

Kai - The holder or first in line for the clan title

Par - the brother of the first in line; or direct son of the title holder

The Empire of Essalieyan (Northern region)

The Empire of Essalieyan is a very large and cosmopolitian theocracy run by the Twin Kings , King Reymalyn the Justice-born King (i.e. the mortal son of the previous King Reymalyn's wife and the God Reymaris) and King Cormalyn the Wisdom-born King (i.e. the mortal son of the previous King Cormalyn's wife and the God Cormaris).

There are multiple Noble Houses, all of whom have their own cultures and ways of operating, and have their own security and whatnot. The main Houses we see in the early books are House Terafin and House Kalakar (but there are others) and the characters in the North usually fit into one of them.

The main city is massive and is known as Averalaan, it's divided into many districts, and there is an island off the coast (very close) of Averalaan that a bridge crosses over to called Averalaan Aramarelas and that's where the Noble Houses are, and where the palace is.

Hope that primer helps!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 April 2023 - 07:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:17 PM

Can I suggest the reading order is put right up front because when I get to this series I'll get confused and forget.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#4 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

From QT in the other thread:

THE HIDDEN CITY (House War #1)
CITY OF NIGHT (House War #2)
HOUSE NAME (House War #3) & THE SACRED HUNT (Duology that covers much of the same events as HOUSE NAME, but from other character angles)
THE BROKEN CROWN (Sun Sword #1)
THE UNCROWNED KING (Sun Sword #2)
THE SHINING COURT (Sun Sword #3)
SEA OF SORROWS (Sun Sword #4)
THE RIVEN SHIELD (Sun Sword #5)
THE SUN SWORD (Sun Sword #6)
SKIRMISH (House War #4)
BATTLE (House War #5)
ORACLE (House War #6)
FIRSTBORN (House War #7)
WAR (House War #8)

Not released yet
HUNTER'S REDOUBT (The Burning Crown #1)
UNTITLED (The Burning Crown #2)
UNTITLED (The Burning Crown #3)

From what I understand you can jump in at the beginning of any series, which is good as I am only going to do Sun Sword, and am a few hours into book 1.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:08 PM

Here's some of my thoughts, I'm in chapter 8 but the first two didn't seem to be counted as chapters...

Spoiler

Sorry it went on for a long time that post haha I have been thinking about these books for a while and I needed to unpack my thoughts :D QT feel free to correct me or whatever hah.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 April 2023 - 11:23 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 April 2023 - 08:08 PM, said:

Here's some of my thoughts, I'm in chapter 8 but the first two didn't seem to be counted as chapters...

Spoiler

For the record, I maintain that The Sun Sword should be read first. It was written first and I doubt that Jewel's origin story would capture the imagination the way the Sun Sword will.

Regarding your thoughts:

Spoiler

For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 April 2023 - 03:24 AM

As I have both series, am going to follow published order and start w THE BROKEN CROWN.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 21 April 2023 - 04:19 AM

View PostAbyss, on 21 April 2023 - 03:24 AM, said:

As I have both series, am going to follow published order and start w THE BROKEN CROWN.
Are you going the earbook route per usual?

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 April 2023 - 06:26 AM

View Postpat5150, on 20 April 2023 - 11:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

For the record, I maintain that The Sun Sword should be read first. It was written first and I doubt that Jewel's origin story would capture the imagination the way the Sun Sword will.

Regarding your thoughts:

Spoiler

Thanks Pat! I was mostly right with my thinking haha glad I've not missed too much. Not even met Jewel yet (I don't think) so I look forward to that. Got a long way to go with just the first book let alone the other 5!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 April 2023 - 12:45 PM

Comments in red.

Spoiler

Sorry it went on for a long time that post haha I have been thinking about these books for a while and I needed to unpack my thoughts :D QT feel free to correct me or whatever hah.

I don't want to say more as it will give away things, but you're mostly on the right track and paying attention to the right people (Theresa and Diora own this novel, with a heavy assist from Kallandras [who is only of my fave characters in the whole series])

View Postpat5150, on 20 April 2023 - 11:23 PM, said:

I don't want to "well akshually" you Pat, BUT the first book written and published was the Sacred Hunt Duology, and those books cover the same events as HOUSE NAME which is the final act of Jewel's youth before the time jump...the Sun Sword came after that...so at the very least ONE of the House War books was more important to West than Sun Sword...and there are things that you benefit by from reading the House War books first, not just learning all about Jewel, but meeting her entire Den and learning their whole personalities is valuable, as is meeting Evayne and a few others. I think the most valuable things I got from reading the first 3 House War books first were meeting Meralonne (Snarky Gandalf) and seeing him interact with Jay/Jewel and the level of time and effort that West put into the villains (The demons, The Shining City ect.) and making them scary as hell. I feel like they come across not quite as scary in the Sun Sword books. In the House War books they are terrifying because we are seeing them through the eyes of a wry, but still young urchin girl. So there are benefits to reading those first...but they are nuanced reasons and reading Sun Sword first will not affect anyone here to read first. The House War books also barely TOUCH the Dominion at all, so it's almost apples and oranges.

Regarding your thoughts:

Spoiler

And for fun, here's who I know is on the cover art to help you all visualize who is who!

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 April 2023 - 12:54 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:01 PM

The main thing I took from that, QT is how off my spelling is haha.

This is clearly a wonderfully deep and well crafted world and I'm glad I'm going to stick with it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:06 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 April 2023 - 01:01 PM, said:

This is clearly a wonderfully deep and well crafted world and I'm glad I'm going to stick with it...

I see the same thing from Abyss when he does Audiobooks, it's hard to suss out how names are spelt! LOL It's all good.

Glad you're sticking with it, it's so good as it gets properly going.

#13 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:51 PM

Sorry Quick Tidal, totally forgot about the Sacred Hunt duology. But as far as I can tell, most fans consider them West's weakest books and don't recommend that newbies start with them. Do you feel the same way.

Personally, and I know your mileage may vary in the end, I still doubt that starting with Jewel's origin story and that of her den can reel readers in the way The Broken Crown and its sequels will. Jewel is just one part of the Sun Sword, and not the best part. At least for me.

But to anyone about to start, or considering starting, the Sun Sword or the House War books, keep in mind that it's like reading Gardens of the Moon. Lots of things don't make sense and it takes a while for them to start making sense. Which is why I believe that Malazan fans will find a lot to love about Michelle West. Because we know how to buckle up and trust the author. Anyone who needs to be spoon-fed information and needs a plot to move in a straightforward fashion will never get into either Erikson or West.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:52 PM

View PostJPK, on 21 April 2023 - 04:19 AM, said:

Yep.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 April 2023 - 01:06 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 April 2023 - 01:01 PM, said:

I see the same thing from Abyss when he does Audiobooks, it's hard to suss out how names are spelt! LOL It's all good.

Glad you're sticking with it, it's so good as it gets properly going.

This is totally a thing and now I just embrace it.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:02 PM

View Postpat5150, on 21 April 2023 - 01:51 PM, said:

Jewel is just one part of the Sun Sword, and not the best part. At least for me.

To be fair, the House War books only exist in the way they do because Jewel is the splash out character everyone wanted to know more about when they read Sun Sword, from what I understand from West.

She's also 100% the main character of the entire Essalieyan series. She's on nearly half the covers in the series after all.

But I understand why you like the Sun Sword series as much as you do and feel people should start there...I simply think either way would work having read both myself. For example, I don't feel stunted for having started with House War 1-3.

Let me know how you feel after you get to the House War books. :)

EDI: Now that I think about it, perhaps reading House War 1-3 first gave me a deep appreciation of Jay so when I started Sun Sword I was already ready to enjoy her time on screen? She's SO compelling in House War.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 April 2023 - 02:12 PM

#17 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:51 PM

Oh, don't worry!

I'm reading them all for sure!

#18 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 April 2023 - 05:17 PM

I would absolutely recommend reading the first 3 books of House War first! They give a depth and background to the world and central characters — Jewel and her misfit family — that is important to fully appreciate everything that comes later. I also like the gradual build of scale and scope across the entire thematic universe that you get from starting with the House War books. Starting with Jewel as a nobody orphan, who gets adopted by Rath by happenstance, who finds mythical histories by happenstance, who builds a family by happenstance, who then flips the script and stops being buffetted by chance and instead starts making things happen, all the way up to the class-spanning, world-spanning events in the more recent series. And they're just good books!

Spoiler

The Sacred Hunt duology, on the other hand, are stilted, detached, and not as well written. I think most people would be better served by reading the House War books and then skipping the Sacred Hunt books entirely.

When I did my read-through, I didn't skip the Sacred Hunt books, but I did skim them.

Here's my recommendation:

Start here – The House War, Part One
The Hidden City (2008)
City of Night (2009)
House Name (2011)

Skip or Skim - The Sacred Hunt
Hunter’s Oath (1995)
Hunter’s Death (1996)

The Sun Sword
The Broken Crown (1997)
The Uncrowned King (1998)
The Shining Court (1999)
Sea of Sorrows (2001)
The Riven Shield (2003)
The Sun Sword (2004)

The House War, Part Two
Skirmish (2012)
Battle (2013)
Oracle (2015)
Firstborn (2019)
War (2019)

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 21 April 2023 - 06:11 PM

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 April 2023 - 05:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 April 2023 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 21 April 2023 - 04:19 AM, said:

Yep.

The narrator is quite good. She's expressive and all but doesn't have a very wide range of voices. However, I'm finding that the way she tells the story means I'm not sure it matters, she has a good way with it so the voices are incidental.

That's my thinking on it and I'm liking her more each time I listen, you might feel differently.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 April 2023 - 06:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 April 2023 - 12:45 PM, said:

And for fun, here's who I know is on the cover art to help you all visualize who is who!

Spoilered for size.

For the top right cover, I have a minor correction:
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users