Malazan Empire: Unidentified Objects, Balloons, and Spies Oh My! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unidentified Objects, Balloons, and Spies Oh My!

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:12 PM

So we may as well have a thread.

A week or more back we saw the US shoot down a Chinese balloon, and another of these balloons was seen over Brazil this past week. China claimed both.

But more crazy is the last 3 objects (seen over Lake Huron (near Tobermory in Canada, In Alaska, and in North Carolina I think?) are NOT balloons, have been officially reported as not balloons, and reported as objects which they don't know how they are staying up in the air....so yeah that's nutters.

As of I think yesterday one of these "cylindrical metallic" (their words, not mine) objects has now been seen (and possibly shot down) over China.

Aliens seems wildly far-fetched, but if not, then what private corporate or state entity has the technological capability to stymie the Pentagon/FBI/RCMP on how it's stayed in the air...

And as crazy as the thread seems....remember when I made a COVID thread in early 2020 and we all commented initially thinking it was not gonna be a big deal? It's been a wild fucking 3 years since then and it has countless pages.

So what do we all think this shit is?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 February 2023 - 01:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:22 PM

Airbnb's.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:37 PM

To be honest, I still think they are Chinese balloon. By stating that they are UFOs and not Chinese avoids the diplomatic fall out.

China are making a big song and dance about having one over their airspace, probably more to distract and be like look, we have one too!!

Though UFO sounds a lot more cool!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:44 PM

champ, on 13 February 2023 - 01:37 PM, said:

To be honest, I still think they are Chinese balloon. By stating that they are UFOs and not Chinese avoids the diplomatic fall out.

China are making a big song and dance about having one over their airspace, probably more to distract and be like look, we have one too!!

Though UFO sounds a lot more cool!

See, but contrary to what the conspiracy nut jobs will have you think, relations between China and the USA are pretty tight and China is not about to piss off their biggest economic trading partner like that. China is also aware of the nuclear arsenal the US has...it's the same as the sitch with North Korea: they are not stupid enough to start shit with the US as they would get flattened on day one.

So yeah, it makes no economic sense to sever that tie for China...and it certainly makes no military sense...so China seems like the easy answer to me and isn't right.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 February 2023 - 02:42 PM

One of them is apparently octagonal.

Shinji, get in the robot. We know how this goes.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 02:59 PM

Maark Abbott, on 13 February 2023 - 02:42 PM, said:

One of them is apparently octagonal.

Shinji, get in the robot. We know how this goes.

It's....eating....the angel...

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2023 - 05:26 PM

Cryoships for an advanced but much smaller sentient species, that have finally arrived at the nearest hospitable planet.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:28 PM

Did they drop any frozen souls into volcanos?

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:38 PM

Macros, on 13 February 2023 - 06:28 PM, said:

Tom Cruise and Travolta need to take a road trip to find Shelly Miscavige!

#10 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 February 2023 - 07:20 PM

QuickTidal, on 13 February 2023 - 06:38 PM, said:

Macros, on 13 February 2023 - 06:28 PM, said:

Tom Cruise and Travolta need to take a road trip to find Shelly Miscavige!

Sounds like a zany sitcom you don't want to miss!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 07:44 PM

Also, the train derailment and hazardous chemical spill in Ohio sounds like a new environmental nightmare in the making....firstly on the ground, the Ohio River basin is huge and covers like 10 states...so that groundwater is fucked...but the cloud from the explosion, and the controlled burn sending this shit airborne, could with even half decent winds and lack of rain reach Canada and other places in the states. FFS the whole city of Pittsburgh is less than 60 miles away (radius for the cloud sounds like it's 150miles, but could be less or more).

This is a WAY bigger thing than it seems to be. The media seems to be underplaying it right now.

Vinyl Chloride is super toxic...like liquid damned cancer.

EDIT: And Phosgene was also released, which I hear is "death in a few days" of exposure.

EDIT 2: I've seen conflicting accounts of what this chemical does when in water or in the air...but it seems like MAYBE once it's in the air it's not as stable? Fuck if I know.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 February 2023 - 08:20 PM

#12 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:05 AM

worry, on 13 February 2023 - 05:26 PM, said:

Cryoships for an advanced but much smaller sentient species, that have finally arrived at the nearest hospitable planet.

MUGANI? HAK HAK HAK!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#13 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:29 AM

QuickTidal, on 13 February 2023 - 07:44 PM, said:

Also, the train derailment and hazardous chemical spill in Ohio sounds like a new environmental nightmare in the making....firstly on the ground, the Ohio River basin is huge and covers like 10 states...so that groundwater is fucked...but the cloud from the explosion, and the controlled burn sending this shit airborne, could with even half decent winds and lack of rain reach Canada and other places in the states. FFS the whole city of Pittsburgh is less than 60 miles away (radius for the cloud sounds like it's 150miles, but could be less or more).

This is a WAY bigger thing than it seems to be. The media seems to be underplaying it right now.

Vinyl Chloride is super toxic...like liquid damned cancer.

EDIT: And Phosgene was also released, which I hear is "death in a few days" of exposure.

EDIT 2: I've seen conflicting accounts of what this chemical does when in water or in the air...but it seems like MAYBE once it's in the air it's not as stable? Fuck if I know.

I know Maddow did a pretty extensive series of reporting on especially the train and rail network infrastructure in the US. About how these big cargo trains passing through sensitive areas, and often enough to be scary, exploding there. She even talked about how some of these trains passed with a few hundred feet of nuclear silos. She made it clear that the silos weren't actually at risk, and there was no risk of a nuclear bomb going off, but the thought was scary enough all by itself.

She focused more on oil, but as this incident demonstrates, maybe she should not just have talked about oil. There are other, equally dangerous, chemicals.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:29 PM

And two more train derailments now, one on North Carolina and one in Texas, BOTH ALSO carrying hazardous waste...WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS?!

#15 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 14 February 2023 - 01:44 PM

So a weather balloon thing was spotted over Moldova yesterday and today something similar over Romania. Yep, between the two earthquakes we've just one and this, I see a new trend for our media to play with.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#16 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:24 AM

The balloon thing - it's a classic example of once you start looking for something, you start to find it. They haven't been looking for stuff that size at that height previously but the first thing made them look closer and hey presto. There will be a mixture of relatively benign spying vehicles and simple explanation like home made weather projects in the end, I reckon.

We operate under this false assumption in the west that our governments and militaries have complete control over our skies (and everything else). They don't. They have a budget so they have 'control' over whatever risk assessments (probably dating back to methods derived during the cold war) say are the most likely threats. Those assessments will be 100% based on what white middle aged men think they know about the world. There will be gaps 1000 miles wide in those assessments for any state with wild technology and ideas. Fingers crossed the whole worlds military industrial complex is as blinkered as the middle aged white man's thought processes and then we will remain 'safe'.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users