Malazan Empire: HBO MAX SHOW - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

HBO MAX SHOW Spinoff show/sequel Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 September 2022 - 06:54 PM

It sounds like this show is actually going to happen, and it was all Harrington's idea that he took to GRRM and HBO...

I was trying to wrap my head around how this show could exist and be good, and someone over on reddit (NOTE: I've hoisted/copy/pasted this idea nearly wholesale from there, I added a dash of two of clarifiers of my own) made a suggestion that I really like.

What if the SNOW show is about:

An all-out war with the White Walkers?

The HotD show clearly establishes the Targaryens conquering Westeros to unify it against the White Walkers and they knew about the threat for generations, it makes even less sense that Jon being Rhaegar's prophesied saviour ended up being a red herring in season 8.

A Jon Snow show sounded pointless when it was announced because there's almost nowhere to take his story.

But if they use the show to effectively SORT OF softly retcon season 8 (retcon is probably the wrong word...perhaps adding more context and definition to make S8 a sort of precursor to the real events....) and say the majority of the White Walkers are still way up north and the threat is not ended, and so they give us a multi-season ‘Long Night’ that's actually a full-on war rather than one underwhelming battle, that could be great and maybe even soften the blow from S8 somewhat.

Like a CLONE WARS series for GOT...sort of.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that this is what they're doing, because like everyone says, what the hell is this show gonna be about post White-Walkers?

Kit has said he was "pissed off" Jon didn't do anything in The Long Night, and we know he himself pitched the idea behind this new show to GRRM and HBO and brought his own people to make it...

Thoughts?

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 September 2022 - 07:27 PM

That actually sounds pretty good...

I wonder if there is a Queen of the White Walkers kicking about... retcon away!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 September 2022 - 08:29 PM

Meh about Snow, but please retcon the shit out of Seasons 7 and especially 8 anyway.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 September 2022 - 08:43 PM

There's bound to be Even Whiter Walkers.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 September 2022 - 08:49 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 15 September 2022 - 08:43 PM, said:

Sounds like a laundry detergent ad.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 September 2022 - 09:07 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 September 2022 - 08:49 PM, said:

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 15 September 2022 - 08:43 PM, said:

Sounds like a laundry detergent ad.

Or a new violent bunch of Pro-Trump idiots.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:21 AM

It just seems like the ship has been righted without D&D at the helm, and HotD is in good hands thus far, so if they can "The Clone Wars" Season 8 into a sort of prelude to the real events on this show...that would change the whole thing.

Also, I was reading that Martin wanted them to go 10-13 seasons, but HBO said no...so clearly he knew it should have been a longer denouement for the finale plot lines.

This is totally doable if HBO plays their cards right. HotD is getting them a lot of the good will back that they lost....hell I even feel like I MIGHT re-watch GOT.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 September 2022 - 11:35 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:38 PM

Harrington was generally pretty great in GoT, and most of his not so great stuff was not his fault.
I could see him as lead/anchor in a spinoff series, and the North is a big enough setting to work with.

...also, his Marvel movie career is going nowhere fast.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 September 2022 - 02:38 PM, said:

Harrington was generally pretty great in GoT, and most of his not so great stuff was not his fault.
I could see him as lead/anchor in a spinoff series, and the North is a big enough setting to work with.

...also, his Marvel movie career is going nowhere fast.

I could honestly see this spreading out from him into a full fledged sequel showing what everyone who is alive is doing...like show Arya on her ship into the West, Show Tyrion as Bran's hand, ect. Show Sansa as Queen in the North....

#10 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 September 2022 - 08:26 PM

Jon Snow and the surviving wildlings, after the events of GoT, forge ever north beyond the wall where they discover there is a higher form of the white walkers named the "White Talkers." This threat is more insidious and will push Snow to his limits, as he and the wildlings will have to overcome the 'Talkers' whitesplaining powers that force them to consider the systemic inequities of Westeros. Jon Snow will be rocked to his core and will be forced to reconsider everything about himself and the world he knows.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 16 September 2022 - 08:28 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users