• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Prequel series

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:53 PM

Strange new worlds is my favorite of the new trek.

Its the closest to what trek is and a faithful continuation. Discovery almost feels like a different sci-fi with starfleet copy pasted over it to bring in the ratings.

Also below decks is fun. I thought I would hate it actually because a canon spoof show of star trek just seemed like such a stupid idea untill I watched it and I realised that yes its funny and unserious but at its core its trek.

#22 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 May 2023 - 11:16 AM

So I begrudge paying for another streaming service and didn't really enjoy discovery that much. However QT ranting about how good this was made me want to watch it and I'm currently using a 7 day trial and hammering through them.

I'm only on episode 4 but this is vastly better than discovery. Proper monster of the week this early but its really good. Gonna smash out the rest of the series while I'm able but really enjoying it.

#23 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 May 2023 - 06:54 PM

Just finished the season. Really enjoyed it and thought it was excellent start to finish.

Season 2 next month and can't wait

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 May 2023 - 03:24 PM

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! Boimler and Mariner crossing over from LOWER DECKS! AHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: I developed a mild crush on Tawny Newsome during her hosting duties of First Contact Day last year....but my gods, seeing her in uniform as live action Mariner? Crush solidified. She's gorgeous. And quite frankly, I HOPE to hell she pulls some crazy Mariner-type shit on the enterprise...she's SUCH an amazing Trek Character.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 May 2023 - 03:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:36 PM

Untill she mentioned the war I had forgotten that this show had anything to do with Discovery and was happier for it. Strange new worlds is the most trek and best trek of the new shows.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:19 AM

This weeks ep takes place in (and was obviously shot in) Toronto, not only that but half of the scenes take place on my everyday route to work. LOL.

They BRIEFLY go to Vermont in the ep, but it's really just somewhere north of the city.

Anyways, I was that Leo-pointing-at-the-screen meme the whole episode. LOL

It's also a great Kirk & La'An episode in a bottle. Really great acting from both of them.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:35 PM

I thought it was funny that he was like its NYC and she was its Toronto. Felt like a small poke at the cliche of using times square.

I enjoyed the episode, curious if we will see this relationship grow or be bottled.

I like strange new worlds and enjoyed the show but it also let me thinking I wish we were moving forward into Trek cannon, instead of keep touchin/rewriting the past.

#28 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 01 July 2023 - 06:56 PM

This was a very enjoyable episode. I usually don't like time travel episodes in Star Trek, because they always seem to be overly convoluted. But this was a simple concept for a time travel episode, nothing fancy, nothing overly "clever" and no nonsense.

Highly enjoyable episode.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#29 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 July 2023 - 08:30 AM

Started with season 1 today, will hopefully catch up to you guys soon and join in!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#30 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:17 AM

Five episodes in to the first series, and predictably I'm loving it. What a great cast, and it's nice to be back to the more episodic side of Trek, with very "Trek" problems to solve.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 10 July 2023 - 11:17 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:36 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 July 2023 - 11:17 AM, said:

it's nice to be back to the more episodic side of Trek, with very "Trek" problems to solve.

This only gets better in season 2. It's not the action-y Star Trek of recent years, but far more cerebral stuff of the old days. They very much know what they are doing with this show.

#32 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:55 PM

This show is about Pike, right? I love that character, ever since I used to play the Star Trek Fleet Commander game or whatever it's called. Pike was one of the best guys to have as his abilities made attacking so much better.

Anyway I'm not a major dork Trek fan like you guys but I've enjoyed quite a few bits I've seen (the newer films with Chris Pine were excellent IMO especially the first one). So maybe I should check it out.

TRB, what service is this on in the UK?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#33 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 11 July 2023 - 05:00 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 July 2023 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 July 2023 - 11:17 AM, said:

it's nice to be back to the more episodic side of Trek, with very "Trek" problems to solve.

This only gets better in season 2. It's not the action-y Star Trek of recent years, but far more cerebral stuff of the old days. They very much know what they are doing with this show.

Wonderful!

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 July 2023 - 05:55 PM, said:

This show is about Pike, right? I love that character, ever since I used to play the Star Trek Fleet Commander game or whatever it's called. Pike was one of the best guys to have as his abilities made attacking so much better.

Anyway I'm not a major dork Trek fan like you guys but I've enjoyed quite a few bits I've seen (the newer films with Chris Pine were excellent IMO especially the first one). So maybe I should check it out.

TRB, what service is this on in the UK?

I think you'll enjoy it, there's very little to not like about it.

I also enjoy the Chris Pine films for what they are. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a big dumb space adventure and they bring that in spades with a good cast.

It's solely on Paramount Plus - I got it as an add-on through Amazon Prime to watch Prodigy and SNW. Can probably be bought as a series but I suspect like most things on Amazon it'd be cheaper to buy the service for a couple of months to watch.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 11 July 2023 - 05:00 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#34 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 11 July 2023 - 08:18 PM

That first series finale is an absolute belter.

SNW and the last series of Picard make me think the showrunners woke up one day witth the realisation that people like Trek best when you stop messing about with it and make what's always worked.

On to series two!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#35 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 July 2023 - 06:25 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 11 July 2023 - 08:18 PM, said:

That first series finale is an absolute belter.

SNW and the last series of Picard make me think the showrunners woke up one day witth the realisation that people like Trek best when you stop messing about with it and make what's always worked.

On to series two!

I don't necessarily disagree with you. SNW is absolutely amazing while Discovery? Well, I like it, but it certainly has it's issues, and some of the main characters are just bad.

But the problem, I think with just "making what's always worked" is if you do that, you don't evolve. And stagnation is regression.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#36 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 July 2023 - 09:26 PM

That's a fair point. I'm not sure what the magic touch with SNW is that it is essentially doing what's always worked but doing it so well and refreshingly that it doesn't feel well-trodden.

I gave up on Discovery part way through series 3 (I think) but remember enjoying the first two series for the most part. I intend to give it another go at some point.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2023 - 12:00 PM

The crossover ep with Boimler and Mariner coming into the live action past was INCREDIBLE. Like every moment is note perfect, and it makes me want to see the whole LD cast in live action now! Also, my crush on Tawny Newsome has only deepened with that episode. Both her and Jack Quaid NAILED their own portrayals from their voice acting into reality, even Boimler's spastic hip-walk to run away from things....so hilarious.

EDIT: Oh and Commander Ransom talking about how Una was hot (on Boimler's recruitment poster) is so hilarious considering he's voiced by Jerry O'Connell....Rebecca Roman's hubby. LOL! It's all in the family round here.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 July 2023 - 12:01 PM

#38 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 July 2023 - 01:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 July 2023 - 12:00 PM, said:

The crossover ep with Boimler and Mariner coming into the live action past was INCREDIBLE. Like every moment is note perfect, and it makes me want to see the whole LD cast in live action now! Also, my crush on Tawny Newsome has only deepened with that episode. Both her and Jack Quaid NAILED their own portrayals from their voice acting into reality, even Boimler's spastic hip-walk to run away from things....so hilarious.

EDIT: Oh and Commander Ransom talking about how Una was hot (on Boimler's recruitment poster) is so hilarious considering he's voiced by Jerry O'Connell....Rebecca Roman's hubby. LOL! It's all in the family round here.

The dude from sliders married that smokeshow?

Although I find it amazing that Una is Rebecca. Its not that she is not as attractive as she was twenty years ago. She has aged its understandable but my brain never clicked it was her until someone said it somewhere. The brain has a remarkable ability to see the core features in a person face and predict how they might look later. You can see a child at 12 and see them again at twenty and recognize them. Una looks so different. It could be the hair colour, it could be that I was expecting to see her in star trek but I was actually thinking about it last episode.

#39 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:08 AM

And thus we have the second ever musical episode I genuinely enjoyed (the first being the one in Scrubs)

Never quite understood why as I generally big fan of musicals I've pretty much loathed most musical episodes, but there we are. This is a good one :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#40 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:49 PM

I loved the musical episode, it was fun, and they managed to do a lot of character and plot development in one episode!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users