Malazan Empire: Other sites/resources - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other sites/resources Kinda quiet around here...

#1 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 January 2022 - 06:57 AM

Hey all... Just wondering if there is another site that I should be looking at for SE discussions? I'm thinking there must be considering the prologue for the next Witness book came out and there is literally zero discussion.

Anywhooo, if someone can point me in that direction I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 January 2022 - 07:13 AM

There's the Malazan subreddit. I imagine there's also some discussion on Goodreads?

#3 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:07 PM

I'm not on Fakebook, but apparently there's a group?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:25 PM

Yep. The Facebook and Reddit groups are your best bet.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:55 PM

Erikson posts on Facebook. I also think that is where I found this: https://www.youtube....qY7PsTpOfAFpISw

The guy here posted recreations of the battles Sekala Crossing and Gelor Ridge from Chain of Dogs, and I think he does a wonderful job of visually explain those battles.

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:17 PM

Someone had already posted the prologue prior to your thread: https://forum.malaza...44#entry1446344

There are a few replies there.

#7 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 27 January 2022 - 04:37 PM

That prologue is great. The link above is to the youtube channel.

#8 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:53 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 January 2022 - 03:17 PM, said:

Someone had already posted the prologue prior to your thread: https://forum.malaza...44#entry1446344

There are a few replies there.

I'm not really sure I would call those responses. A couple of acknowledgements. No discussion. More or less my point...

#9 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:56 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 27 January 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

Yep. The Facebook and Reddit groups are your best bet.

Looked at the reddit group. Nowhere near as organized as this format. Neither is the FB group. Still confused why this perfectly capable site dropped off the mat.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:33 AM

Social media happened. Most of the regulars grew older and other things took up their time.

There's still a core of a few dozen regulars but we hang out in the off topic area.

When Malazan eventually gets picked up as the next big fantasy streaming show, we might see the forum blossom again.

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 March 2022 - 12:29 PM

View PostAptorian, on 07 March 2022 - 09:33 AM, said:

Social media happened. Most of the regulars grew older and other things took up their time.

There's still a core of a few dozen regulars but we hang out in the off topic area.

When Malazan eventually gets picked up as the next big fantasy streaming show, we might see the forum blossom again.

Here's hoping. And at least it's (main series) is finished, so the showrunners and screenwriters won't be making shit up on the fly and butchering the last couple of seasons.

(too soon?)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 March 2022 - 01:56 PM

I wouldn't know if I'd watch a screen adaptation of these books. Maybe if they get SE and ICE involved in the whole making process. I'm just not sure if what they've created can be conveyed well onto a screen. I mean, I know GotM started out as a movie script. Maybe start with just converting that book into a series.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#13 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:15 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 07 March 2022 - 01:56 PM, said:

I wouldn't know if I'd watch a screen adaptation of these books. Maybe if they get SE and ICE involved in the whole making process. I'm just not sure if what they've created can be conveyed well onto a screen. I mean, I know GotM started out as a movie script. Maybe start with just converting that book into a series.

I don't see how they could do a true live-action adaption without LotR levels of budget. I'd take something that looks like Arcane though...

I know ages ago SE said something like 3 films a book would work released over a year but no one is crazy enough to take up a project like that. There was also rumours of a TV project with the Parans as main characters but nothing has ever come of it so far.

Not seen any recent SE comments re screen adaptions but not particularly looked either.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#14 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

I don't see how they could do a true live-action adaption without LotR levels of budget. I'd take something that looks like Arcane though...

The budget for Arcane was insane, they haven't released official numbers but the numbers I've seen place it at 60-80 million euros for the series, so it's not far off LotR level budget.

To put that into context a typical animes budget would be about 2 million for a short 10-13 episode season

I think the only way we get a malazan series would be animation, but I highly doubt it will ever get Arcane level money

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:16 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 07 March 2022 - 09:03 PM, said:

The budget for Arcane was insane, they haven't released official numbers but the numbers I've seen place it at 60-80 million euros for the series, so it's not far off LotR level budget.

To put that into context a typical animes budget would be about 2 million for a short 10-13 episode season

I think the only way we get a malazan series would be animation, but I highly doubt it will ever get Arcane level money

I had a look for costs of Arcane but couldn't find anything concrete either but aye, I can imagine it costing that much...

From the Critical Role adaption, Legend of Vox Machina they were saying top quality animation costs around $50,000 per minute, that's crazy when you think about it.

But for Malazan looking like Arcane, one can dream...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:50 AM

They should skip the middleman and adapt them into novelizations.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 March 2022 - 09:21 AM

And then have Cliff Notes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users