Malazan Empire: The Witness Trilogy right after MBtoF? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Witness Trilogy right after MBtoF? How much do the novels bring to the table? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:34 AM

Hey,
so I'm about to finish The Crippled God any week now and was wondering how much would I miss if I skipped the Kharkanas Trilogy + the novels and just straight up continued with The Witness Trilogy? Would you say the Kharkanas Trilogy and the novels are a must-read for a fan of this world, before continuing with The God is Not Willing?

I would just like to start The Witness Trilogy now, so for once I would be able to join the discussion in time with other forum members here. Whereas with MBotF I am a over decade late to the partyPosted Image

PS. Those of you with hardcover editions of the books: which publisher has the nicest editions, Bantam Press, Tor Books or Transworld Publishers Ltd? Bantam Press hardcover is available in Amazon, whereas Tor Books hardcover arrives in November.. (I only have TOR paperbacks of MBotF)

Best regards,me

Edit: Found a hardcover version from a third publisher.

This post has been edited by Not-So-Great-Raven: 18 August 2021 - 11:14 AM

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:47 PM

Do it! You won't miss out on much. The Kharkanas trilogy is a prequel.

Also, since the Karsa trilogy is still ongoing, you will have ample time after you read The God Is Not Willing to read other books before the second book in the trilogy comes out.

#3 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:15 PM

Read it, it's great.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:27 PM

The only thing you'll be missing out on is if you don't start reading The God is Not Willing RIGHT NOW!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:06 PM

Kharkanas 1 & 2 and The God Is Not Willing are one trilogy, while Walk in Shadow and Witness 2 & 3 are a separate trilogy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 19 August 2021 - 04:58 AM

Thank's for the quick replies! That settles it then, I will be placing my book order today. Found a signed booklet edition for 20£ (true, not the same as signed, but still) so I'll have the perfect time to finish TCG before they ship it from the UK.

worry, on 18 August 2021 - 06:06 PM, said:

Kharkanas 1 & 2 and The God Is Not Willing are one trilogy, while Walk in Shadow and Witness 2 & 3 are a separate trilogy.

What do you mean, isn't the other set 300.000 years before MBotF and the other is set after it?

#7 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:11 AM

Worry is joking :)
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:08 AM

When you look at it clinically, isn't everything in its core a trilogy?

But no, yes, the Kharkanas trilogy currently has two books published and takes place many aeons before the events of MBotF, whereas 'The God is not willing' is the first book in a new trilogy which is set around 10 years after the events in MBotF. You do not need to read the Kharkanas trilogy in order to start reading 'The god is not willing'. To date, as far as we are aware there is no information in the two published Kharkanas books that have any bearing on the new TGINW book. And TGINW is great. So definitely pick it up straight away and start reading!

I assume you have also already read all the Malazan novels written by Esslemont? If not, they really are required reading as well.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 19 August 2021 - 09:09 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 19 August 2021 - 10:32 AM

Gorefest, on 19 August 2021 - 09:08 AM, said:

I assume you have also already read all the Malazan novels written by Esslemont? If not, they really are required reading as well.

Unfortunately no, I haven't read them yet. I've read what they are about and was thinking of delving into them after MBotF, but now that the Witness trilogy started I am really tempted to just dive into The God is Not Willing.

Edit: Aaand just placed and order for the book, should arrive in 7-10 business days. Have to hurry with TCG...

This post has been edited by Not-So-Great-Raven: 19 August 2021 - 11:20 AM

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:58 AM

Not-So-Great-Raven, on 19 August 2021 - 10:32 AM, said:

Unfortunately no, I haven't read them yet. I've read what they are about and was thinking of delving into them after MBotF, but now that the Witness trilogy started I am really tempted to just dive into The God is Not Willing.

Edit: Aaand just placed and order for the book, should arrive in 7-10 business days. Have to hurry with TCG...

It will be a while still before the second book in the Witness trilogy will land, so you could always start dropping in some Esslemonts if you have the time/stamina. His first six books ('Novels of the Malazan Empire' series) all cover the same time period as Erikson's MBotF and pick up a lot of the story threads that are left unexplored in that series. So it provides tons more world building and sometimes quite crucial bits of information on events. His 'Path to Ascendency' prequel trilogy deals with the rise to power and ascendancy of Shadowthrone and Dancer and the formation of the Malazan empire. The Empire novels are getting a bit of a mixed reception from fans, some loving them and some finding them a bit lacking when compared to Erikson's output. But the Path to Ascendency series is generally considered an absolute gem. So if you can stomach another nine books in the Malazan universe they are absolutely required reading.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 19 August 2021 - 11:58 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:08 AM

Gorefest, on 19 August 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

Not-So-Great-Raven, on 19 August 2021 - 10:32 AM, said:

So if you can stomach another nine books in the Malazan universe they are absolutely required reading.

I did swear to myself that after the ten books of MBotF I would again read something in Finnish (I have a long backlog of unread books waiting), but what the hell! It's only nine books, not like its another full ten..

This post has been edited by Not-So-Great-Raven: 20 August 2021 - 09:08 AM

#12 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:41 AM

I would say to read the easement books before the good is not willing. As the main arc goes on the empire becomes less and less relevant especially for the last 4 books or so. Esslemonts books cover alot more empire stuff including another book set on genabackis after toll of the hounds .

#13 User is offline   Renz 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:17 PM

Honestly you can do The God is not Willing straight after the MBotF, not much correlation to the other books or very very little. So go ahead and you can get involved in forums and discussions. One thing I’d recommend is reread Karsa’s bit in the first part of House of Chains, the bit involving the Treblor in the prologue of TtH and Karsa’s involvement in the convergence in Darujhistan in the same book until he gets the visit.As others have said also read ICE’s books and then the Kharanas trilogy would be great but you have time for that and would make sense to do when Walk in Shadow comes out so you can go through them straight.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users