Malazan Empire: What Album Impacted you the Most as a Teenager? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Album Impacted you the Most as a Teenager?

#1 User is offline   Ailesbury 

• Brave New Rael
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Books Tacos Sushi

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:54 AM

Smashing Pumpkins -- Gish. It has a psychedelic fantasy element with a touch of dream pop and shoegaze. Nods to fantasy would be appreciated.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  gish.jpg (28.56K)
    Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Ailesbury: 09 March 2021 - 12:58 AM

library assistant from the deep south

#2 User is offline   Ailesbury 

• Brave New Rael
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Books Tacos Sushi

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:52 AM

I guess I mean the one music album that really influenced you as a kid. For me, I can narrow it down to a few albums. Maybe some people don't want to narrow it down to one album or so. I also mean if the music somehow has a connection to the genre of fantasy then maybe that would be appropriate to mention as well.
library assistant from the deep south

#3 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:00 AM

Ecaille de Lune from Alcest... that album just let me feel everything.
The wall by Pink Floyd > I think every teenager can relate to this album.
Seventh Son of a Seventh Sun by Iron Maiden > My journey into maiden started with powerslave but this is one heck of an album with some of their best tracks.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:24 AM

The Wall was directly responsible for a lot of significant experiences in my teen years.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:11 PM

Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche is easily the one for me. Musically brilliant and possibly the best concept album ever, not to mention the subject matter was topical then and may be even more so today. The story is compelling and the live performance of the entire album was fantastic, having seen it multiple times.

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 09 March 2021 - 02:00 AM, said:

Seventh Son of a Seventh Sun by Iron Maiden > My journey into maiden started with powerslave but this is one heck of an album with some of their best tracks.

I was introduced to Iron Maiden prior to this album but Seventh Son was the first new release that came out after I had gotten into them. It has a special place for me because of that. Not as tight a concept album as Operation: Mindcrime but one that I love a lot.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 09 March 2021 - 02:11 PM, said:

Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche is easily the one for me. Musically brilliant and possibly the best concept album ever, not to mention the subject matter was topical then and may be even more so today. The story is compelling and the live performance of the entire album was fantastic, having seen it multiple times.

Agreed but oh dear gods Silent Lucidity was played to death and beyond.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:49 PM

This is the one that influenced me the most.

Attached File  FC5B2EDD-ADF3-46B5-AEF9-296839277CC0.jpeg (18.99K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 March 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes, Silent Lucidity was on the follow up album, Empire. And it absolutely was worn the F out. Even being a huge Queensryche fan and happy to see them them getting attention, it was far too much. I heard the song just recently after maybe 10 years of not and was able to appreciate it and not cringe...

#9 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:23 AM

With fantasy-ish elements? Interpreting that loosely, Blood on the Tracks (Bob Dylan). Might count The Doors' Greatest Hits, possibly some Tori Amos---To Venus and Back I guess. Maybe Debussy (can't remember what it was called---probably not Debussy's Greatest Hits, though it definitely included Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune).

Taken more literally---I did like Wagner despite the ridiculous anti-Semitism. Generally preferred to watch, with subtitles:

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 March 2021 - 12:24 AM

#10 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:10 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 09 March 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

Yes, Silent Lucidity was on the follow up album, Empire. And it absolutely was worn the F out. Even being a huge Queensryche fan and happy to see them them getting attention, it was far too much. I heard the song just recently after maybe 10 years of not and was able to appreciate it and not cringe...

And now i wanna re listen to it.... i havent heard that song in ages.... operation mindcrime was an incredibly dope album though. I actually got into queensryche when watch mojo started off (yes im aware i missed the boat by a few decades sue me).

And the youtube algorithm just made me remember i spent an inordinate amount of time listening to november rain by guns and roses.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 10 March 2021 - 03:15 AM

#11 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:58 AM

Permanent Waves by Rush, without a shadow of a doubt. I'd heard The Spirit of Radio when it reached the giddy heights of number 13 in the UK singles chart in 1980 and then I found the album for £1.99 in the Debenhams Boxing Day sale later that year. It's been my favourite album from that day on. Many, many other bands have come and gone in my affections since then but they have remained constant.

#12 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:57 PM

Most influential without a doubt S&M Metallica, the mix of symphonic orchestra and metal is still unmatched I think. I get twenty year old scenes very vividly directly into my head just thinking about that album, listening to it not that often these days but it happens.

Best album ever possibly not any longer but it's still in the fight.

This post has been edited by Chance: 10 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 March 2021 - 04:45 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 10 March 2021 - 03:10 AM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 09 March 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

And now i wanna re listen to it.... i havent heard that song in ages.... operation mindcrime was an incredibly dope album though. I actually got into queensryche when watch mojo started off (yes im aware i missed the boat by a few decades sue me).

And the youtube algorithm just made me remember i spent an inordinate amount of time listening to november rain by guns and roses.

Empire got me to pick up Mindcrime, enjoyed both but i think for a year+ i was ff'ing Lucidity whenever it came around. Saw them in concert once, it was great.

#14 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:20 AM

If you're into the isolated thing, the bass&drums on Infinite Dreams from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is pretty cool.

#15 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 March 2021 - 02:29 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 March 2021 - 07:20 AM, said:

If you're into the isolated thing, the bass&drums on Infinite Dreams from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is pretty cool.

Aaannnnnd now you've sent me on a mission to listen to the whole album. Having flirted with bass guitar since my early 20s, I can ALWAYS be easily talked into listening to a Steve Harris bassline under any circumstance. He is top 5, maybe even top 3 favorite bass players to me. The mini bass solo in Only the Good Die Young, the final song on Seventh Son, makes me grin in amazement every single time I hear it. And DON'T EVEN get me started on The Clairvoyant!

#16 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

Steve Harris' galloping bass. There's so many gems it would be hard to narrow it down to just one.

#17 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:42 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 March 2021 - 04:48 PM, said:

Steve Harris' galloping bass. There's so many gems it would be hard to narrow it down to just one.

That is a very apt description, actually! And yes, totally agree on the 2nd statement, as well.

#18 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:43 PM

surprised how many iron maiden fans here... in my highschool days everyone was listening to linkin park and blink 182

#19 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:44 AM

Got lots of albums/bands that shaped my music taste, but if you have to boil it down to a single one I'd probably say 'dEUS - Worst case scenario'. It took all my rock and grunge interests (REM, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Pixies, Radiohead, etc) and then chucked them down a rabbithole of jazz/indie fusion. Was around the time I finished high school as well to go to uni, so big changes all around. Never looked back, apart from pouring over a massive dose of extreme metal in later years. Still probably my all time favourite band.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 12 March 2021 - 07:46 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:21 AM

AC/DC live at Donnington. Double CD, late teens it was on repeat in the car for months.
It's why I fell in love with the band, and moved more to classic/hard rock from the nu metal wave that was peetering out

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users