• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NFL Discussion

#181 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:40 AM

Saw highlights of the Fins/Bills. That Tua concussion stagger was crazy. Glad his linemen caught him and propped him up. It's weird though, I vaguely recall a story of an old school QB who said he was knocked out in a game, went to the sideline, shook out the cobwebs and went back in. Said he didn't remember much of anything after the hit. He supposedly had a career game. It's like the concussed brain drops all the doubt and pretension and questioning you spin up in your head and instead just executes the game plan. Tua kinda had a game like that.

Oh and what the hell, the Broncos won, but 11 to 10? yuck! I don't know about this situation. The confidence in the new coach (and to some extent Russell Wilson) is going down every time they play. They need to put together a win that is impressive.

#182 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:59 PM

Thursday night game - Fins/Bengals.

Caught the highlights, and obviously the coverage was all about that Tua situation. It was disturbing to watch. I noticed ESPN SportsCenter cut out the end to end coverage of the aftermath, when Tua's hands were locked, frozen in front of his face. It was disturbing; reminded me of those Japanese horror movies where the unnatural contortion of body is a strong element. Anyway, I guess the shield has to be protected so they stop showing the real bad parts on replay. Supposedly Tua was cleared by independent doctors after Sunday's incident (oooh a whopping four days prior!) and was ok'd to play. There's a lot of opinions flying around now - the twitter/sports talk hot take avalanche is in full effect - but I would say I think the suggestion that a player sits out a week (min), regardless if independent doctors clear him, should be something that gets strong consideration.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 30 September 2022 - 05:01 PM

#183 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:04 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 September 2022 - 04:59 PM, said:

Thursday night game - Fins/Bengals.

Caught the highlights, and obviously the coverage was all about that Tua situation. It was disturbing to watch. I noticed ESPN SportsCenter cut out the end to end coverage of the aftermath, when Tua's hands were locked, frozen in front of his face. It was disturbing; reminded me of those Japanese horror movies where the unnatural contortion of body is a strong element. Anyway, I guess the shield has to be protected so they stop showing the real bad parts on replay. Supposedly Tua was cleared by independent doctors after Sunday's incident (oooh a whopping four days prior!) and was ok'd to play. There's a lot of opinions flying around now - the twitter/sports talk hot take avalanche is in full effect - but I would say I think the suggestion that a player sits out a week (min), regardless if independent doctors clear him, should be something that gets strong consideration.

Yeah. Some minimum time out, league mandated, would be a first step. At the least it would put HC hiding behind "the player wants to play" (see the Chargers on Justin Herbert) to bed. But I do not see it happening without much more pressure on the NFL to commit to meaningful change.

Imho, to the owners player health is 95% a PR issue, with perhaps only QBs on non-rookie deals exempted, because of the amount of dead money and the lack of quality replacements. Almost everybody else can be replaced in the off-season or through the draft. As such, the league does the absolute minimum, makes incremental progress to show its concern, but does not in any way makes moves that affect the status quo.

Tua's a 3rd year pro (I think?) trying to prove he's not a bust, so still on a rookie deal that pays a fraction over 4 or 5 years of what just the first year of a non-mandated contract would net him.

Without some better guarantees in contracts, players will feel forced to play injured or rush recovery in order to not be cut, and such changes are precisely what would hurt the power and bottom line of the team owners, let alone rule changes to limit the more dangerous contact players are exposed to. "NFL players are warriors, waaagh!" is still what the fans want and the image the league sells - very successfully.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#184 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 October 2022 - 03:40 AM

NFC East - Eagles (5-0), Cowboys (4-1), Giants (4-1). What up?

#185 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 October 2022 - 08:29 PM

Christian McCaffrey traded to the 49ers. I always felt bad for him; landing with a crap franchise like Carolina. He's got injuryitis, but if the Niners use him in a more focused, situational type approach, I think he'll be a great fit and hopefully he can overcome the injury reputation. I guess we shall see.

#186 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 February 2024 - 01:22 AM

For the Americans and other NFL peeps out there who don't know the basics of Rugby League, I give you ... Russell Crowe:

Watch the video at the top from about 30 seconds in.

https://www.news.com...8ac5847b3d333a0

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 February 2024 - 01:23 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users