Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E-transport Not a car

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

So I’m in philadelphia, I have a small target and sprouts a 12 min walk away, a few crappy food options like McDonald’s and as always amazon will deliver.

Last week I walked over 30 min to get a haircut, all the nice restaurants for potential takeout are 30 min away. Now I have Uber as an option, I have bike rental as an option and I have public transport which due to covid I avoid but perhaps not so bad really. I should take a look if I’m honest

I am not sure I need a car, or want the expense right now but maybe an e-bike or my own, an E-scooter, etc would be a good purchase? Maybe just a regular bike? I don’t know. Always had a car in SA

Philadelphia is pretty pedestrian friendly and I’m guessing friendly to bikes too. I feel an e-bike will help when I’m lazy tired or just in really long trips. No idea what one should cost?

Otherwise I’m thinking of just getting a helmet and renting bikes from indigo but even here I have no clue. Helmets range from 30 to 100 dollars. Don’t want to cheap out on head protection but why pay 3 times the price if you don’t have to. What else do I need? A reflective vest or light?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

A regular bike is the healthy choice. Though I guess it depends on how friendly or hostile to bicyclists the city is.

Make sure to get it ensured.

#3 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:45 PM

If it only takes 30 minutes to walk, then you can for sure bike normally to get there :)

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:45 PM

E-bike in a major city (as long as you have storage for it) is a truly great idea.

However, it's always wise to start with renting a bike to see if you even like the idea and getting a decent helmet - because your brain is the single most important thing about you and protecting that is always a good idea.

Online reviews say this is the best blend of "protects you, has the right certifications, and isn't that expensive": https://www.speciali...Text=60119-0413

If you do like biking and don't necessarily want to get an e-bike, go to a good local bike shop (not Walmart, not Dick's) and just ask them to guide you on a commuting bike. They won't steer you badly because what drives their revenue is people who really like biking buying better and better bikes as they get more into the sport and coming back for repairs/upgrades etc. I have a longtime friend who's worked as a bike mechanic in Montreal and now Vancouver, so I know that bit from her.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 02 August 2020 - 09:28 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:26 AM

e-bikes are awesome though. It is so much fun!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:05 AM

By e-bikes are you guys referring to those battery driven bikes, where you only have to pedal lightly?

I'd be careful about those. One of my coworkers used one of those thing regularly. Then it broke down one day and she had to borrow a regular bike. She said it felt like pushing a ton of bricks driving a regular bike because she wasn't really exerting herself and using her leg muscles normally.

#7 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:11 PM

Also, very expensive, at least here.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

View PostAptorian, on 03 August 2020 - 08:05 AM, said:

By e-bikes are you guys referring to those battery driven bikes, where you only have to pedal lightly?

I'd be careful about those. One of my coworkers used one of those thing regularly. Then it broke down one day and she had to borrow a regular bike. She said it felt like pushing a ton of bricks driving a regular bike because she wasn't really exerting herself and using her leg muscles normally.

I'd agree: stick to a regular bike. You'll get fit in no time! For basically free.

I'm from The country of bicycles though, that may be a small bias.

Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:12 PM

Interesting responses, my thought is just if this bike is a car replacement ha I g some electric motor suppor will be good on very long trips or trips when I have groceries maybe. So far philly is flat and yes I can bike 30 min probably easily but longer than that? My needs might change and don’t want to arrive covered in sweat.

My god the us is weirdly hot.

#10 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:12 PM

Currently in a similar position. I can drive but my wife takes the car and does the school run due to work starting times in relation to school starting times. In the past I've opted to use public transport but the last two summers (excluding this one) I have cycled to work. Now this is just regular bicycle. About 3 or 4 miles, 30 minutes cycling roughly.

What I found was that I lost weight. I sweated a lot but that was okay as I wore casual clothes in work so I'd travel with a back pack with clothes, food, wet wipes and other stuff. (Come back to this in a bit).

My work didn't have changing facilities so I'd do that in the toilets. They didn't have a bicycle area so I'd lock the wheel and place outside nearest window to where I sat. Not ideal at all. In the winter with the rain, wind and cold I'd get public transport again mainly because I didn't trust my bike. The front tyre kept deflating, even with new inner tubes. I think hole where the inner tube valve came out was too sharp and kept making holes.

Anyway, flash forward to now. I'm due to start a new job on 17th. 5 miles away but they do have changing facility and bicycle storage. The problem I'm facing is that it's going to be suits. Smart dress. No lockers to keep suits hung up and left in work.

Back packs making you sweat so if I'm going to cycle regularly I'm going to get panniers to store things.

I'm looking at an e bike because I wont have to exert myself on the commute to and from work. I'm fine with that. I'll be looking at around £1200 roughly for the bike I want.

England do a cycle to work scheme meaning the company buys the bike and I hire it from them through my salary. I'm not going to take that option as they'd own the bike at the end of the scheme. I looked at the small print.

Now after I commit to cycling I'll have to look at cycling gear. I have some but winter will be a new kettle of fish. I've seen cycling tights, thermals, long John's, arm thermals, Gilets, waterproof thermal gloves and over shoes. Or cycling shoes and leave work shoes in work.

So much to think about. Also I wear glasses. How to keep rain from blinding you? Hat with a peak or proper cycling glasses.

All in all I'm looking at fully committing to cycling which would be around £2000 possibly. Or buying a second car £1500 but then I'll have insurance and tax to think about and there's no parking outside work. So I'd be parking in a train station and getting the train which would be £2.70 per day. Or parking in an NCP around £3 a day.

Overall investing in a bike seems like the best idea. E bike or a hybrid is definitely the way forward.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#11 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:43 PM

There are water proof combination suit/garment and messenger bag things. I bought the Henry Wingman Messenger (not cheap) for flights and the occasional awful weather walk to public transit. Dress shoes fit comfortably into the messenger bag part with plenty to spare for whatever else is needed. Tattersail, you can store the messenger bag with your cycling clothes at your desk or on the back of your door/cubicle unrolled.

Panniers are a great idea.

Philly might mean storage for the bike might need some negotiation with the facilities manager/security guard. Easy enough to do though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:03 PM

Simon Cowell Breaks His Back From Electric Bike Crash.

#13 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:23 AM

Okay borrows a bike and ride today. Bike was ridiculously small for me. Even so it’s much quicker than walking. I’m very rusty. A messenger bag will throw off your balance! Cars are scary. With the right bike and some practice will be a good option I think.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users