Malazan Empire: A Lateral Jump of Career - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Lateral Jump of Career can it be done?

#61 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:16 AM

View PostAptorian, on 20 May 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 May 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'm sure Apt would make a great life coach.

What could go wrong?!

My advice to Gust is that he should walk into his boss' office and take a dump on their desk to assert dominance.

See!!!

Perfect!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#62 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:48 AM

Best of luck, GH. Job hunting sucks, but we believe in you.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#63 User is online   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:02 AM

Thanks ment. If I can just enjoy my job and feel decent about the people around me, I would count that as an upgrade. I am tired of fleeing toxic jobs.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#64 User is online   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:45 PM

So I gather USA CPA certification requires undergrad degree with around 33 semester hours of accountant related material, 2 years of accounting experience under a CPA and then passing the exam. Sounds like where I am at, at least 3 or so more years of education before I could enter that field.

I am unsure how entering IT (especially science related IT) would work, but under consideration.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#65 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

I've been told in the past to get some career coaching and the whole thing strikes me as weird. Is it a normal thing to do?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#66 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:40 PM

View PostCyphon, on 21 May 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

I've been told in the past to get some career coaching and the whole thing strikes me as weird. Is it a normal thing to do?

I think often people have blinkers on regarding what is feasible for them. Career coaches are supposed to help you take a step back and look at it objectively and also identify transferable skills. Haven't got a clue otherwise.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#67 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

View PostCyphon, on 21 May 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

I'm more keen on finding out if it's helpful -- I don't care at all if it's normal or weird.

Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#68 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:20 AM

Hi Gust, I don't normally post in here but thought I'd give you my two cents. I'm good at my job, I've been in Sales/Marketing/Customer Service for the best part of 20 years now. I've been at this particular company for almost 10 years. It comes easy to me BUT I've not been enjoying it for sometime. At Christmas my managing director discreetly let me know he almost made me redundant last August but he knew I was buying a house and did not want to disrupt that. He implied that I was on thin ice. (Totally out of the blue). I'm either the best guy they got in that job or in the top three. Definitely at selling but it's a family run business and I don't chat easily with the MD like others. We sacked Amazon last year so turnover literally halved and that was the cause for him saying what he did. Now I dont feel safe at this company AND I could get another sales job elsewhere but I don't want to. So in February I booked myself onto an accountancy course. I'm studying that distance learning. I'm looking around for trainee accountant jobs that pay close to what I currently earn. I'll get there eventually but my advice to you is to do something similar. It may be easier for you as a DR you earn a high salary so surely would be able to fund a different direction. Just make sure you'll like what you choose.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#69 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

I've been toying with jumping ship on site work for 3/4 years now (well talked enough about it anyway). I'd say this shutdown has really pushed me further into it. I love being at home full time, but the financial side of things can not be ignored. I make good money crossing the water for my work, can I do the same here? If I didn't have the financial implications of building the driving range hanging over my head I would probably make the jump, but right now I can't.

As above said, whilst the lurch out of a sector can seem a appealing, living your dream job etc, it's better to stay at what you know and build another skill set on the side

#70 User is online   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, I agree and see what you both are saying. Ideally working one job while building up a skill set on the side is ideal for making a jump out of one's field. And Tatts you seem to be playing it exceptionally smart. So, I have had difficulty figuring out what I like without jumping in. Undergrad was the best incidence of this where I went from music major all the way over to biology. And right after from dreams of research lab work to medicine. But my favorite job was QA at Starbucks this far, and I believe that was in part due to having the most awesome boss I have ever had.

I am looking at studying computer programming, accounting, and a foreign language, for instance. But I also only have so much bandwidth per day, and I am not even sure if the effort in amy of those would pay off. I doubt your job leaves you energized for more work/study when you get home, and I am not sure where to find regularity in my own jobs of late to do such simultaneous studying. Last job I had, i was driving 10 hours every weekend to to go back to family and return to work. This job, I have had continual upheaval, with 11 hour days and weekend work. I just want enough stability to exercise regularly and get rid of my excess weight. Medicine is not a marriage that shares with other loves.
~Abyss

#71 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:31 PM

I'd say your top priority right now then is something 9-5. Even if it is mind numbing. Avoid gig work on this front then, you seem to need some stability and routine, take the hit financially if you can to get a better quality of life and this will give you the energy and time to invest in improving/altering your skill set

This post has been edited by Macros: 22 May 2020 - 02:34 PM

#72 User is online   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:46 PM

View PostMacros, on 22 May 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

I'd say your top priority right now then is something 9-5. Even if it is mind numbing. Avoid gig work on this front then, you seem to need some stability and routine, take the hit financially if you can to get a better quality of life and this will give you the energy and time to invest in improving/altering your skill set

Yeah, that is a good summary of what I agree will be best. I am seeing if there are any regulatory/QA type jobs out there I can break into. I mean part of the problem is I am overqualified and people probably expects I will ask a high salary. I am trying to get attention from any company to at least talk to them so I can impress upon them that a high wage is not necessary for my employ.

And yeah, I was looking into gig work and thinking about people throwing up in my car, and yeah... I don't know if I can handle that (and kudos to those that can).
~Abyss

#73 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

It's always easier to get a new job while you're currently employed too. And it's better for the finances.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#74 User is online   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:22 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 May 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

It's always easier to get a new job while you're currently employed too. And it's better for the finances.

Not sure I will be able to manage that unfortunately. I was just starting to look when things went sideways. I tried asking my boss for a reprieve, that I really needed help and she snubbed me thoroughly and completely. After that, I was left with few other options and acted accordingly.
~Abyss

#75 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 22 May 2020 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 22 May 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

Yeah, that is a good summary of what I agree will be best. I am seeing if there are any regulatory/QA type jobs out there I can break into. I mean part of the problem is I am overqualified and people probably expects I will ask a high salary. I am trying to get attention from any company to at least talk to them so I can impress upon them that a high wage is not necessary for my employ.

And yeah, I was looking into gig work and thinking about people throwing up in my car, and yeah... I don't know if I can handle that (and kudos to those that can).

State in the objective something along the lines of using your previous training and experience to embark on a new career as an individual contributor etc. and talk that up when you get interviewed. You can also bring up work/life balance.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users