Malazan Empire: A Lateral Jump of Career - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Lateral Jump of Career can it be done?

#41 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:27 PM

Great, thank you.

So I am officially resigned on the course to joblessness. My health has been taking huge hits and the boss-lady was less than sympathetic (more like suck it up buttercup). So I resigned, 4th in the past 3 months. And played Wilson (Expensive Mistakes) on the car radio all the way home.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#42 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:58 AM

Oh Pat! I'm sorry that it came to that! Just remember that you are a doctor with a doctorate from the University of Chicago!! That is nothing to sneeze at in any circle.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#43 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:21 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 18 May 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

My health has been taking huge hits and the boss-lady was less than sympathetic (more like suck it up buttercup).

I'm sorry to hear that, but good that you resigned then.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#44 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

Sounds like the right thing to do for you GH. Best of luck on the next steps.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#45 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 18 May 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

So I resigned, 4th in the past 3 months.

Sorry, by that did you mean you were the fourth person to resign from that place in the last three months? Out of how many staff total?

View PostVengeance, on 19 May 2020 - 12:58 AM, said:

That is nothing to sneeze at in any circle.

Interesting choice of words ... :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#46 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

For the portion of the department where I work, we had 10 pathologists. One retired and 3 resigned/fired in the past 3 months. And there is only one newb starting July, so this place is fucked. Hospital is waking up after Covid and trying to return to full capacity. We were already understaffed as it was too.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#47 User is offline   James Hutton 

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

There's a chance that because of Covid19, my contract (Entertainment Industry) will be terminated as there's no work to be done. I've worked in Science and Agriculture before, and in all three sectors I saw struggles with how to properly value the work that was done. I mean that in terms of salary and number of hours put in to get done what was wanted to be done: all was undervalued. And I'm a driven person, I enjoy doing my work well, but there's no space to do that since it's not valued properly in time and money. Which in essence I shouldn't care about, I should just enjoy my work and be done with it, but I need to pay rent and stuff (even though I live very frugal), and that's hard on a minimal salary.

So, since I soon might be out of an income and will need to go to the Employee Insurance Agency for welfare help I'm thinking about asking them for a career coach to help me find some place (anyplace really) where I can sustainably work without burning out (again) and work is properly valued.

GH, would a career coach be helpful in your situation as well?

#48 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:09 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 19 May 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

For the portion of the department where I work, we had 10 pathologists. One retired and 3 resigned/fired in the past 3 months. And there is only one newb starting July, so this place is fucked. Hospital is waking up after Covid and trying to return to full capacity. We were already understaffed as it was too.

Whoa, that does sound like shit. Are they going on a hiring spree? Would they be really keen to keep you under those circumstances? If so, what are they prepared to offer?
But yeah, unless they offer shit-tins more sounds like you definitely need a change of scene.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#49 User is offline   James Hutton 

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 May 2020 - 09:09 AM, said:

Whoa, that does sound like shit. Are they going on a hiring spree? Would they be really keen to keep you under those circumstances? If so, what are they prepared to offer?

Same thing happened in my lab (mass spectrometry of common stable isotopes in rocks and water) a few years ago.
- No hiring spree, because it's cheaper to have less staff on payroll. Have existing PhD students do all technical maintenance of equipment and run the projects that were outsourced to our lab.
- My direct supervisor and other colleague were keen on keeping me, because of how I worked, nobody else. Upper management's thoughts? See previous point.
- Offers? To write a letter of recommendation for me to use while looking for another job.

This post has been edited by James Hutton: 20 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

#50 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 20 May 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

Same thing happened in my lab (mass spectrometry of common stable isotopes in rocks and water) a few years ago.
- No hiring spree, because it's cheaper to have less staff on payroll. Have existing PhD students do all technical maintenance of equipment and run the projects that were outsourced to our lab.
- My direct supervisor and other colleague were keen on keeping me, because of how I worked, nobody else. Upper management's thoughts? See previous point.
- Offers? To write a letter of recommendation for me to use while looking for another job.

Hutton hit it right on the nail. So we had a faculty meeting last night and absolutely zero mention of my resignation or concern over staffing. I know they can bring in freelance people (ad locums) to assist, but frankly, they have seemed to have no trouble overloading faculty and counting on the work versus quit in a pandemic dynamic to hold people here. Moreover, when restrictions lift, there are always residents to abuse with the workload. So as much as I want justice served and my boss to take a fall as the department crumbles, realistically they with limp along, bring in some other suckers just in time and then rinse and repeat the cycle. And COVID will provide cover and forgiveness for a whole host of abuses, and I am sure leadership has this at the back of their mind.

Hutton, yeah, I would consider a life coach. Not sure how that works. I will be doing more job hunting and thinking this weekend once the grind is paused.
~Abyss

#51 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

Just make sure the life coach is actually successful at life before the coaching career.

Noone should take life advice from Richard Hoover (the Greg Kinnear character from Little Miss Sunshine). :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

#52 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

Lol.

It is so hard to stay focused and motivated. I asked if I should ask the dean about a lack of response to my letter of resignation. I gather he is on boss-lady's side, so not sticking my neck out there. If the Trump presidency has taught me anything, leadership can always do what it likes as long as it has lackies and enablers and has goals that do not require integrity or accountability. I think nothing will change, and that is so goddamn depressing.
~Abyss

#53 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

I'm sure Apt would make a great life coach.

What could go wrong?!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#54 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

Lmao. He is still alive and kicking. That is a requisite for life right? So must be doing something right.
~Abyss

#55 User is offline   James Hutton 

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:51 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 20 May 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

View PostJames Hutton, on 20 May 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

Hutton hit it right on the nail. So we had a faculty meeting last night and absolutely zero mention of my resignation or concern over staffing. I know they can bring in freelance people (ad locums) to assist, but frankly, they have seemed to have no trouble overloading faculty and counting on the work versus quit in a pandemic dynamic to hold people here. Moreover, when restrictions lift, there are always residents to abuse with the workload. So as much as I want justice served and my boss to take a fall as the department crumbles, realistically they with limp along, bring in some other suckers just in time and then rinse and repeat the cycle. And COVID will provide cover and forgiveness for a whole host of abuses, and I am sure leadership has this at the back of their mind.

Hutton, yeah, I would consider a life coach. Not sure how that works. I will be doing more job hunting and thinking this weekend once the grind is paused.

Depressing as fuck, indeed.

Hehe, I meant a professional career coach, like, somebody on par with a psychologist -- and not a youtube/influencer kinda person. Have never been to one either, so can't say anything about how that works.
But hey, let's give this a shot: Apt, where do you think valuable and properly-valued work can be found? Or should I just start living on welfare and spent my time doing valuable work unpaid?

#56 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

Good luck Gust.

You might want to check this link out.
https://www.jocrf.org/
Other people have recommended this on some site. I have not gone through it myself.

#57 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 May 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'm sure Apt would make a great life coach.

What could go wrong?!

My advice to Gust is that he should walk into his boss' office and take a dump on their desk to assert dominance.

#58 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:17 PM

If only such displays were considered strong and not career destroying, haha.
~Abyss

#59 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 20 May 2020 - 09:17 PM, said:

If only such displays were considered strong and not career destroying, haha.

Nothing left to lose, Gusty!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#60 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:43 PM

If I ever do snap that bad, I will post pictures.
~Abyss

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users