• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shopping advice for gadgets and appliances all things appliancey

#1 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

So, we got engaged now the next logical step is to get a decent vacuum cleaner for the apartment.

We've spent the last 2 bloody hours looking at reviews and comparing and we don't know what the fuck we are looking at.

Not looking to spend silly money, the apartment is all laminate/wood flooring. Cordless just seems to add needlessly to the price and is a luxury we don't need as the place is small.
bagless, with decent attachments.

We've been looking at a few sharks (they are on TV more over here nowadays) I know they're popular in the US, but do they really measure up to a Dyson at the top end or are they another JML garbage buy?

I'm a fan of the Dyson big ball 2, but its pricey for what it is at the end of the day.

ok nerds, suck it up and spit out your knowledge.

This post has been edited by Macros: 04 July 2020 - 12:57 PM

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:55 PM

Don't buy Dyson he is a hard brexiteer and you should not give him any of your money (incidentally after pushing for hard Brexit he moved a huge chunk of his operations out of the UK to Singapore so he's a major douchebag.)

Instead get a Shark. We love our cordless Shark - we've got the one that bends in the middle to get under furniture, disconnects to make a small one for stairs etc and also has small lights on it so if you're doing in darker corners etc it's lit up!

Honestly it's excellent. Doesn't take too long to charge, it's lightweight and can keep going for a fair amount of time...

I realise you said you don't want a cordless but I like the brand regardless.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 11 May 2020 - 09:56 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:18 PM

You are in an apartment, end the tyranny of hoovering, buy a robot hoover, handles wooden floors easily. I bought a eufy, and it was similar if not cheaper in price than a regular hoover. Best purchase I've ever made. I hate hoovering.

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:51 PM

Dysons are not higher end. Miele, Riccar etc are the higher end.

But yeah, get the cordless. It's fun to whip it around the apartment and then plug it back in. Not having to deal with cords is nice and there's not enough space to kill the battery.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:59 AM

My mom has a vintage Kenmore vaccuum from the 1950s, pretty sure she inherited it from her parents. It weighs twenty kilos, smells like copper while running, looks like it's hiding a nuclear fuel rod inside, and is so strong it has a habit of ripping out carpet staples. My dad threw it off the roof one time and it only has a small dent about a centimeter wide from that. Mom says the sucking got even stronger after that incident. So that's my vote.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:08 AM

Had to do this last year. My subjective $0.02...

Dyson, massively overpriced. If you can get a great deal sure. Very easy to use. Not a long term purchase. Wall mounting is a pain and I don't care how cool some of them seem, it's a fucking vacuum cleaner on your wall. Risk of being used as a hat rack. Charge life for the cordless models varies.

Shark, medium low quality, lower price, you get what you pay for. Won't last years. Avoid the lower end deals unless you want to get another vac in two years.

Hoover, overpriced but solid quality. Will last. Tend to need band, bulb, and filter replacements on a regular basis but there are cheaper alts to Hoover's own.

Miele, you pay more but totally get what you pay for. Superior quality, lighter, minimal maintenance and parts if any. If you can find a price you can live with, I reco this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

Aren't you getting married? Problem solved then. :sofa:

But on a more serious note. Agreed on Dyson being bloody expensive. But worth it if you get it on a good discount (like we did - 50% off thank you very much).
Just got a Black and Decker 4-in-1 cordless for the stairs. Seems to do a good job. Again, got it on a decent deal.

Don't get the cheap shite from the chain stores, sorry I don't know the Paddy equivalent of Kmart, Target etc. They'll last 6-12 months tops, even at moderate use.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 12 May 2020 - 07:33 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

A Henry Hoover all day long! The delirious smile and drugged up insane eyes as it shoots crack dust up its nose is worth any amount of money you are or are not willing to fork out.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

I bought a new vacuum recently. I had a compact bagless Hoover brand one that was decent when we bought it but when parts broke they were hard to find as they change models all the time competing with Dyson so bits were discontinued. I asked my cleaner and she said Henry's are the best. We went with that - any major office cleaning company in the UK uses Henry's so they must be onto something. They haven't changed design in forever so you can always buy spares. They use a bag so they are old school but it pops in and out easily. Haven't been disappointed so far and I'm vacuuming the whole house twice a week at the moment. It's quite easy to tidy away, the cord stretches a long way and it doesn't take up much space.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#10 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Also just taking a moment to mourn for my cleaning lady.

She's not dead. She's just not at my house.

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 12 May 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

Also just taking a moment to mourn for my cleaning lady.

She's not dead. She's just not at my house.

The moment COVID-19 Got Real.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 12 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 May 2020 - 04:08 AM, said:

Had to do this last year. My subjective $0.02...

Dyson, massively overpriced. If you can get a great deal sure. Very easy to use. Not a long term purchase. Wall mounting is a pain and I don't care how cool some of them seem, it's a fucking vacuum cleaner on your wall. Risk of being used as a hat rack. Charge life for the cordless models varies.

Shark, medium low quality, lower price, you get what you pay for. Won't last years. Avoid the lower end deals unless you want to get another vac in two years.

Hoover, overpriced but solid quality. Will last. Tend to need band, bulb, and filter replacements on a regular basis but there are cheaper alts to Hoover's own.

Miele, you pay more but totally get what you pay for. Superior quality, lighter, minimal maintenance and parts if any. If you can find a price you can live with, I reco this.

Will add to the Miele recommendation. Aside from the immortal Tellus my parents still have as backup, the family has gone through several vacuumes before ending up with the Miele, and I bought one too, no regrets. Not even that expensive tbh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

We still use an earlier Dyson for dirtier jobs.

The newer one we have (upright with cord) is good - I like the fact you can take it all apart to empty it, unblock it and clean it. The problem with it is... I find myself taking it to bits to unblock and clean it almost every time I use it. It seems designed to pick up things in order to foul all the mechanisms, rather than dump them in the container.

I'll look elsewhere for the next one.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#14 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 11 May 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

Just so we're clear. I need to know how this pans out now. I don't have much else happening in my life.

Anyone else buying new appliances that I can get emotionally involved in? Please?

#15 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:17 AM

We're trying to revive a pressure washer my father bought 15 years ago so that my wife can do the deck. She really, really likes the cleaning via water-blasting approach and has watched many, many videos on it. Got some starter fluid and will attempt this Saturday afternoon.

We bought a Bosch 500 series dishwasher about 4 months ago to replace the old Kenmore that leaked all over the kitchen half the time we used it. Really, really big upgrade, all the racks are so useful and it's nice to have it work smoothly every time instead of mopping/toweling the floor.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:02 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 14 May 2020 - 09:25 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 11 May 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

Just so we're clear. I need to know how this pans out now. I don't have much else happening in my life.

Anyone else buying new appliances that I can get emotionally involved in? Please?

I got a waffle maker, if that helps.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

Hopefully going to look at a Miele tomorrow

#18 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:13 AM

We just moved so we've been getting rid of stuff Mez I'm sorry.

Will be getting a new dishwasher and washing machine when we get our new place though so that's exciting!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

Cordless and bagless vacuum is the way to go. We have a Dyson, V8 I think? Got it at a sale and love it. It makes life a whole lot easier.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#20 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 May 2020 - 05:17 AM, said:

We bought a Bosch 500 series dishwasher about 4 months ago to replace the old Kenmore that leaked all over the kitchen half the time we used it. Really, really big upgrade, all the racks are so useful and it's nice to have it work smoothly every time instead of mopping/toweling the floor.

We tried to pressure wash a bunch of moss from the footpath in front of our house. the footpath became nicely clean, while at the same time the wall of the house turned from white to a horrible unremovable explosion of dirt and green. I'm sticking to slower, more conservative methods going forward.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 May 2020 - 12:08 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users