Malazan Empire: Ghost of Tsushima - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghost of Tsushima chop chop slash slash!

#81 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:34 PM

What outfit are you wearing?

I refuse to wear the headband because I don't want to see Jin's face.

I'm usually either using one of the wide brimmed straw hats or the cool family helmet with the antlers.

#82 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

I'm just wearing travellers clothes level 2, and a serenity headband - havent really found much else yet. Took this one last night. So many moments that just make me pause just to appreciate the view.

Attached File  IMG_20200721_233658.jpg (421.21K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#83 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

I don't get too attached to any one cosmetic look. When I find a new headband or face mask, what have you, I will equip the item and see if it pleases my personal style as I observe it in action while journeying and fighting.

Currently I am going with - "Sea Dragon's Wing" Sword Kit - Taveller's Atire w/ "Firery Searcher" armor dye - Glowering Warrior mask - Headband of Peace.
Going into a battle I will switch to Samurai Clan gear.

There's still a ton of gear for me to discover by exploring and/or as a quest reward.

I haven't devoted much attention towards the cosmetic things the Merchant sells (paints for example). Finding the items is more satisfying. When I have many options for one type (head gear for example), I will often go with the one I think has the coolest/bad ass sounding name. Headband of Peace for example. I think there is something poetic about wearing that as I open a Mongol's throat with my katana.Posted Image

#84 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 July 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

Headband of Peace for example. I think there is something poetic about wearing that as I open a Mongol's throat with my katana.[/size]Posted Image

Ah, the Forkrul Assail approach to peace. Same as my Serenity headband. I do like the calm approach to fighting in this game.. waiting calmly to block, parry, then strike. Maintaining control rather than flailing about.

(That sword lunge move is great - wait motionless while they charge in, then... straight forward into their throat for an instant kill)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2020 - 04:45 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#85 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:33 PM

When I have a lot of enemies moving around me, I will get into chop!-chop!-chop! mode to create some space. And than as I get in position where it's me, one on one with, and measuring/anticipating an enemy's next move/attack, the calm perfect parry is so rewarding. Love the step through, critical hit kill animation.

#86 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:05 PM

First mythical armour found. Nice duel in a chrysanthemum field. I think as it has archery bonuses that I was supposed to shoot everyone but it seemed simpler to just cut them up.

Also got rowed out to a couple of ships for some samurai pirate action.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2020 - 10:36 PM

#87 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:10 AM

The dialog has been aces. Sensei Ishikawa's quest has had some stand out, memorable lines.

"We're fighting your own reflection."
"We will turn that to our advantage."

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 23 July 2020 - 01:12 AM

#88 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:12 AM

The way the game uses color has been revolutionary. I've done a few missions now were you have to travel and look for someone or something and the organic way that quest incorporates a specific color as an indicator you are closing in has been breathtaking. That moment when you are on a ridge scanning and you see the color is unlike any I've experienced in a video game.

#89 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:20 AM

In general the game is pretty good about guiding people. Wind, birds, banners, pathways, flowers.

I've seen people write that it's just an open world game that copies other open world games, especially Assassin's Creed but I think what it's been doing is iterating upon ideas and improving them in subtle ways to create a next level gaming experience.

#90 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:11 AM

The color themes reminds me of the movie Hero. I followed some mythical armour and the purple chrysanthemums lead the way.. good to find out there are more like this.

I'd agree Apt, one of the first reviews I read said it looked amazing but used old style open world stories and collecting to fill it out - I couldn't disagree more with that. It's taken what made those games good, and refined it. It gets compared to AC a lot, but I'm finding more in common with HZD - the way you only ever find things you can use, I never feel like the inventory gets in the way of the game - it self sorts, and is there when you need it, and you also get a message to tell you when you have enough items for your next upgrade.

I havent played for two nights now as I've been exhausted but I'll try tonight.

#91 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:50 AM

Protip: When you have your Traveler's Armor fully upgraded and it pulses when something special is in the vicinity, if you are in an open area go into Photo Mode and use the controls to move the camera up and around to scan for the item. I found one of the banners in the Kishi Grasslands using this method.

#92 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:15 AM

Ah, that's clever. Sometimes it's really hard to discern when the pulses are getting warmer or colder.

#93 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

Good idea, I got used to using the camera in nms like that. Just upgraded the armour last night, not fully but it looks nicer.

So many cool moments last night - great duel in the mud with a leader, wet ground in the morning sun - absolutely covered n mud by the end.

Theres a clever balance with the combat I think; it can look like you're completely overwhelmed, but through switching stances to deal with each it becomes achievable in a most satisfying way. But, if you do it wrong, they will take you down pretty quickly. It's like watching a movie fight at times, it gives you a chance to do it almost elegantly rather than stumbling around.

#94 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have been rolling so much..

Attached File  20200726_075833.jpg (347.35K)
Number of downloads: 0

#95 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

Tsushima bureau of tourism slogan in their marketing material - "Oh the sights you'll see."

Posted Image

#96 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:35 PM

Executing the Heavenly Strike is so pleasurable when you pull it off to maximum effect - stun and then annihilate the enemy before you with the move, and then his Mongol comrades stumble backward in shock and awe fear, and one of them drops down to his knees asking for mercy. Damn, I think I've become too reliant on it but it's so fun to do.Posted Image

#97 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:53 AM

Oh that sounds like fun, not got that yet.

I cleared the forge last night; that bit at the end after you kill the last raider, and the camera goes to the view of the people watching in stunned awe from inside the building was really well done.
Its obviously the beginning of the 'ghost' myth, but just seeing Jinn outside in the mist, cleaning his sword surrounded by corpses, from their perspective it was kind of creepy.

Have you noticed that if you bow to a dead peasant or anyone killed by mongols, Jinn will say something respectful about them?

Also I love the caring comments he makes to his horse. Even though I often just leave it and explore everything on foot.

#98 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:17 AM

The post-story segments where Jin is interacting with the horse are great. My favourite are when they take a nap together.

Also just wait until you unlock the Dance of Wrath.

#99 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:06 AM

I'm heading on a quest for a new sword move. Upgraded sword again. I saw on reddit a move that decapitated leaders - I cant wait! I feel there could be a few more limbs flying in this game.

#100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

I think I just unlocked that decapitation ability. It's called Ghost Stance.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users