Malazan Empire: Ghost of Tsushima - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghost of Tsushima chop chop slash slash!

#21 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

Saw on advert/commercial run during regular programming. So must mean we're close.Posted ImagePosted Image

Anyone know when the review embargo will be lifted / when reviews will go up?

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:52 AM

Tuesday next week.

#23 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

Just been watching a gameplay clip - exploring the landscape. I'm sold.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#24 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:21 PM

Reviews are out. The game has been receiving a very good reception I would say overall. That being said, there have been some criticisms I've anticipated and those have come out in the reviews. Being an open world game and given that we are past the new and interesting and (for some time now) have entered the been there done that point of open world games I'm not surprised by these criticisms, but they do somewhat give me pause.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

Already bought it. Like you say the criticism and short comings are predictable but I love me a good open world game. It's a perfect dry period for the game to come out in.

I'm going to Bushido the fuck out of those Mongols.

#26 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

I thought it would be all about the stealth, but it seems more work has gone into the kurosawa style samurai stand offs and fights - which I have no problem with.

If I can walk into a fort and carve a path through load of mongols in a variety of different ways while the cherry blossom falls, I'll be happy.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#27 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

From what I’ve read it fits very comfortably into the Assassin’s Creed / Far Cry style of open world, so that’s a hard pass for me. I’m just so very tired of that sort of gameplay.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 15 July 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

From what I’ve read it fits very comfortably into the Assassin’s Creed / Far Cry style of open world, so that’s a hard pass for me. I’m just so very tired of that sort of gameplay.

It's odd, because I've liked all the AC games so far...but I KIND of agree with this. And this game would be STRAIGHT up my alley as a Kurosawa fan...

But for whatever reason after maxing out AC: ORIGINS, I find myself skipping over any story elements of AC: ODYSSEY (I find myself not caring as it waffles and meanders from plot point to plot point willy nilly), and what I'm left with is a lot of "fetch and retrieve" missions which feel...empty. Even adding in the "elite" guys who chase you/hunt you down feels empty. So I'm stalling out on AC: ODYSSEY now because I think I've reached my limit of this type of game? I'd much rather something like SPIDER-MAN, or ARKHAM games....open world, but still with a pretty direct main storyline you can follow.

Like I want nothing more than to play this game, but I feel like I'd struggle with the length and open-world-ness...aimlessness...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

The game play I've seen highlights a beautiful open world to explore. AC Origins has that, in fact they released an option to just do a "museum" like explore of the world with no combat. So, if for nothing else, I think Ghost of Tsushima will be a pleasant landscape to explore. ... the carpet of red flora in that one shot looks jaw dropping beautiful. Also, a discussion on the score and soundtrack is another selling point. By all accounts, it's going to be magical.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 15 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

#30 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

I really got fed up with AC games, but I haven't actually played anything more recent than AC Syndicate. Which I would have enjoyed more without any of the AC elements (the Dickens and Ripper side quests were a game on their own.)

The games I've had trouble with more recently have been these big AAA open world games - Red Dead 2, Witcher 3, and to an extent, Death Stranding. Good games, great landscapes, but just too big for me to complete with my limited game time. Too many collectables, upgrades, filler quests.

I do love my Fromsoft games though; Sekiro is one of my favourites, and it's not open world, it's very linear and has a very simple upgrade system. HZD - beautiful landscape, good combat and story; ok, bandit camps and enemy AI almost silly and identical; but I still loved it as an experience. Whereas say, I loathed DA:Inquisition with its multiple characters, inventories, and sheer amount of collectable upgradeable crap.

While I'm still playing BotW long after completing it, which as an open world is actually quite simple. It has charm, and plenty to do.

The problem with game reviews are that they're written by people who get to play for hours on end, all the while playing with a critical eye, knowing that whatever they write will be used to judge whether they are a good critic or not. So if I read in a review 'after 100 hours, x gets a bit repetitous' I tend to think, so what. Reviews just aren't helpful, unless the game is actually broken, and needs fixing and multiple patches before it becomes playable.

KC Deliverance - another great living landscape; didnt get great reviews, but I found the setting and immersion second to none, and I still go back to it.

All I'm looking for in GoT is a realistic, immersive feudal era Japanese landscape to roam about in, fight in, and explore. I dont need a ton of upgrades and power ups; skill trees are obviously good though. (Side quests always get derision if they are 'fetch' quests, but honestly I've no problem hunting stuff down for people or beating up troublemakers, side quests dont all have to be clever, original mini stories to be satisfying. I know Witcher 3 can do no wrong in this regard - but I didn't finish it, I got bored with it.)

It all hinges on the landscape for me. If there are things to do, places that make it worthwhile exploring, and enough different types of enemy that require some effort to defeat, I'll be more than happy with it. If it's somewhat empty, lifeless, with repeated areas and enemies and no challenge or need to learn new skills, it will be a disappointment.

It looks beautiful though. There is a camera mode, which I'm a sucker for, which is also only present in games where you really sometimes feel the need to share a moment or view. The score sounds amazing too. Dont want to get my hopes up, but it looks very much like my sorta thing.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 15 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

#31 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:32 PM

Wow, the landscape view from up on the rocks is something else.

Just got asked to rescue a peasants family, got there and killed the bandits only to find that the family had already been killed and dumped in the river. Not sure what I took away from that. Oh, their linen. You know, it might be handy at some point?

Just stood by the river, figured out how to sheath sword, bow, and play the flute.

Couldn't seem to find a lock-on during combat, which might have helped, but still managed to dispatch everyone by weaving through their attacks and hitting them in the sides or back. Seems pretty forgiving so far on that front.

Just exploring now, found a shrine or two and cleared out a trading post.

The music is so very good.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 July 2020 - 10:34 PM

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:55 AM

You're going to find so many ressources. To upgrade anything you need a hundred of this and a dozen of that, and that's just starting out. Interestingly it seems some ressources respawn randomly in the same location over time.

I find myself travelling around the island at a trot or a light jog, rather than rushing to the next location or mission. There's something about the atmosphere of the world that makes me want to travel with poise and serenity.

Something that's improved my appreciation of the game was after I got my hands on proper Samurai attire and upgraded it to level three. It spawned a proper mask and helmet. I've switched mask on in cutscenes, so now I look like a badass warrior in every scene instead of having to look at Jin's dopey face.

#33 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

Okay, shew-wee! The opening was brutal. And I gotta say, the story so far has pulled me in. I'm enthralled and find it gripping. I see where it's going, but that's okay, because I don't think it's attempting to surprise you with the direction it is heading. The whole, honor or hubris and at what point do you see the harm in holding steadfast to tradition. Thinking this is how the "ghost" (assassin) options are going to manifest story wise.

*chef's-kiss the sound design and music are sublime. So fucking amazing.

Also, the game is very much Assassin's Creed like. At one time there were rumors of an AC game taking place in Asia (China maybe?). Do you guys think that maybe Ubisoft and Sucker Punch struck a bargain and Ubisoft gave them this theatre and pivoted into Vikings?

BTW, did any of you guys choose the Kurosawa setting? I'll play with it after I finish my first play through.

Oh, and Tuvan throat singing bitches!Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

Kurosawa mode is crazy in a game that has such amazing colours - but dont wait for a replay to try it. Stick it on and walk into a bandit fight...

The bright coloured forest areas remind me of Hero.

#35 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:59 PM

Wow, this is turning into something special. Mist, rain, thunder all so well done. Combine them and you get some incredible moments.. dawn sunlight beaming through early mist, through the ivy covered trees was particularly good.

Cleared a couple of camps, found a temple, and at one point found myself surrounded and outnumbered, but able to keep up with the different stance changes to deal with... everyone. I like the way you can wipe or shake your blade when it's all over, too.

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:10 PM

I some times also bow at my defeated opponent after a particularly good fight.

#37 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

It's nice to have some options.

The last camp I liberated had some prisoners in bamboo cages. They were all dead, and there was this huge cauldron with a sort of wooden stock/manacle hanging over it, and bloodstained ground.

I didnt have much mercy for them.

What was cool was, after I killed the leader, the camp was reclaimed, the cages were all taken down and stacked, the pot dragged off to one side, and the ruins were being swept and repaired.

Anyone know how to write a Haiku? I found a hot spring which was a nice moment, and I've been given a few hints but I think I need to find a specific place.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

#38 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

The fire flies/lighting bugs are pretty magical. Petted my first fox after he led me to a shrine. Looking for bamboo stations to cut with that rhythm game mechanic.

#39 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

Haven't found those yet. The hot spring was a nice surprise; apart from the initial reviews I've not looked at anything else about it, and I'm going to keep it like that so it's all unexpected.

Is there an option to just sit/rest/wait that I'm missing? Like can you wait if you want to hit something at night or in daylight?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

The haiku segments are situated at certain lookouts. They're similarly spaced out like Bamboo mini-games or hot springs. I believe you might be able to use the technique points to make the guiding wind take you there but I didn't want to waste my points.

Just keep an eye out for golden birds.

I haven't found any way of resting or kneeling or anything else that would allow you to sit and take in the scenery.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users