Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2601 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

Today was the day that the government mandated Corona pass was instituted. You need to either be vaccinated, have had Covid within the past 180 days or been tested within the last 72 hours to get access to various businesses or institutions around town.

There were so, so, so many people at the library today who didn't understand they needed a pass and ID, even if they're "just returning a book". Like this stuff has been talked about in the news for weeks. I'd say more than 90% had no clue.

#2602 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:32 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 April 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

Today was the day that the government mandated Corona pass was instituted. You need to either be vaccinated, have had Covid within the past 180 days or been tested within the last 72 hours to get access to various businesses or institutions around town.

There were so, so, so many people at the library today who didn't understand they needed a pass and ID, even if they're "just returning a book". Like this stuff has been talked about in the news for weeks. I'd say more than 90% had no clue.

If you don't have an outdoor-accessible slot for returning books (obviously precautions need to be taken for rain as well, shouldn't be too hard to figure out) now might be a good time to add one (also far less likely to spread the virus outdoors)....

[Edit: for example, people could put the books in waterproof bags. The library could supply pairs of reusable waterproof bags, with one bag inside the other so the inner bag doesn't get wet. Or you could just build a small enclosure with sides and ceiling but open below the knees for ventilation.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 April 2021 - 07:18 PM

#2603 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:23 PM

Not really feasible.

For what ever reason Copenhagen's libraries don't accept books being dumped outside normal business hours. I'm not aware of any of our 20 houses that have that kind of solution.

I suspect it's really about culpability when users return materials late. The leadership don't want to haggle with people claiming they returned their books on time. Late fees are a big deal for the vampires at town hall.

Also placing a box outside the library in our neighborhood is asking for vandalism.

#2604 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:52 PM

Books left back damaged
But they weren't damaged when I dropped them in!
Etc

#2605 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:48 PM

What's the mechanism for the pass? Is it an app? And what's your vaccination coverage? There are arguments that passes like that might tempt younger people to try to catch the virus if they aren't priority for vaccines.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2606 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:52 PM

View PostMacros, on 21 April 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

Books left back damaged
Etc

If that's also an issue maybe they'd need an attendant. That could also solve the issue of verifying when books are returned. Could have a little door and windowed booth built into the wall, or temporarily outside.

Posted Image

If rain is an issue, the attendant could give people a waterproof bag to put the books in. Maybe have a second enclosure next to it (but not connected) for people to go over and put in the books (attendant could remotely control the lock/unlock so people don't use it for... other things). Perhaps a dry bag within the outer bag in case the outer bag gets wet. Books go in dry bag, dry bag goes in outer bag. Attendant checks that books are okay. Has a laptop or smart device to enter in computer.

A tent or a large enough awning/canopy might also do, or two small tents, with the attendant again providing two waterproof bags etc.

Then periodically transport books to the library.

If they can't be set up on the sidewalk, maybe at a nearby park. Or storefront, etc.

[Edit: or maybe a large enough awning would do, etc. Of course robot book inspectors would be ideal.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 April 2021 - 11:36 PM

#2607 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:14 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 April 2021 - 09:48 PM, said:

What's the mechanism for the pass? Is it an app? And what's your vaccination coverage? There are arguments that passes like that might tempt younger people to try to catch the virus if they aren't priority for vaccines.

The actual app is delayed *rolls eyes* but there's a broader app used by th healthcare system in relation to doctors appointments and general health related stuff that people can show. Unfortunately quick tests, the kind that have an answer within 15-30 min, don't appear in this app. So people can show text messages from the test center or if they don't own phones they get a physical piece of paper.

And yeah, there's plenty of stories of kids trying to get one another infected. But that's been the case they past year as well.

#2608 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:20 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 April 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 21 April 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

Books left back damaged
Etc

If that's also an issue maybe they'd need an attendant. That could also solve the issue of verifying when books are returned. Could have a little door and windowed booth built into the wall, or temporarily outside.

Posted Image

If rain is an issue, the attendant could give people a waterproof bag to put the books in. Maybe have a second enclosure next to it (but not connected) for people to go over and put in the books (attendant could remotely control the lock/unlock so people don't use it for... other things). Perhaps a dry bag within the outer bag in case the outer bag gets wet. Books go in dry bag, dry bag goes in outer bag. Attendant checks that books are okay. Has a laptop or smart device to enter in computer.

A tent or a large enough awning/canopy might also do, or two small tents, with the attendant again providing two waterproof bags etc.

Then periodically transport books to the library.

If they can't be set up on the sidewalk, maybe at a nearby park. Or storefront, etc.

[Edit: or maybe a large enough awning would do, etc. Of course robot book inspectors would be ideal.]

All of these things are possible ... In a golden age where library funds aren't being cut year after year in our county. It's a three month period before most have been vaccinated. Not really worth the investment for the leadership. It would also take them a month or two of meetings to make any kind of decision I'd suspect.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 22 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

#2609 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

The second there's a vaccine passport there will be a market for taking them alas.

Because people are selfish and shit

#2610 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

First dose of the AZ vaccine has knocked me for a loop. About 24hrs later started to feel fatigued, and then had a night and day of fevers and chills and shit...today (day 3) is a bit better, but I'm still not completely right. Better than getting COVID though, so I'm not complaining. Probably the strongest reaction to a vaccine I've had yet though for sure.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2611 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

Its anyone's guess as to how you respond to it. Hopefully second shot goes better for you like it did mine.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#2612 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:44 PM

I hear all the hipsters get knocked by it

#2613 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:27 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 22 April 2021 - 03:27 PM, said:

Its anyone's guess as to how you respond to it. Hopefully second shot goes better for you like it did mine.

Yeah, it's fine. I'm really not too fussed. It sucks, but it's better than the actual virus so I'm happy.

View PostMacros, on 22 April 2021 - 03:44 PM, said:

I hear all the hipsters get knocked by it

It's because they get side effects before they were cool.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 April 2021 - 04:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2614 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Hipsters' side effects are curated in small batches to align with their bespoke style by a vaccine stylist with a handle bar mustache, which has noticeable amounts of mustache shaping wax that emits a strong smell of leather, sandalwood and sage.

#2615 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

I got cold shivers the night of the jab. Like, I never get cold at all, usually the opposite in fact but that night I could not get warm. Then I was just achy the following day.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2616 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

I'm going to the pub twice tomorrow. Lunch and evening drinks. And having guests on Sunday. All within the rules, of course. Up yours pandemic lockdown!!

Turns out 13 months is my psychological limit for acting in the best interests of society as a whole.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2617 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:10 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 22 April 2021 - 07:45 PM, said:

I'm going to the pub twice tomorrow. Lunch and evening drinks. And having guests on Sunday. All within the rules, of course. Up yours pandemic lockdown!!

Turns out 13 months is my psychological limit for acting in the best interests of society as a whole.

I'm glad you all over there seem headed back to the realm of good again with so much of your population vaccinated! I can't wait to get there here in Canada. Have a pint for me!

---------

My sister, who some may remember is a conservative, right-wing nut job who has been radicalized to believe all the weird conspiracy theories being peddled about the great reset, Q anon, and all the rest, and likes people like Trump and Putin (a sister whom I disengaged from my life a few months back)...well it turns out that the COVID year has turned her into an Anti-vaxxer as well. So that's fun. My brother-in-law tried to convince my mom that 3500 people have died of the AZ vaccine in the UK....which, I mean, on the face of it, if THREE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED people had died after taking any vaccine, that would be headline fucking news for weeks and massive reviews of the vaccine use in question...but beyond that no...3500 people have not died of it and that information is freely available. But this is the kind of shit that they keep getting peddled on the internet from their little alt-right bubbles, and she keeps telling my mom how the main stream news "lies to her"....oi....

And this is how I STILL have to deal with her BS now...by heading off the anti-science shit she's trying to feed my mother in dribs and drabs. Luckily my mom calls me and goes "WTF is this about?" before believing her and I'll calmly tell her the science...but yeah, it's been exhausting running conspiracy theory interference because of my dumbass sister.

More amusingly, my 25 year old niece....who is in Uni for a friggin science-based degree...has to deal with her parents peddling conspiracy BS already....and now anti-vaxxer BS. EDIT: Just texted her, and it turns out that she's actually volunteering at the vaccine clinic in her town...so imagine that drives my sister batty. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

#2618 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:50 AM

Much props to your niece for the amazing double of doing good while shitting off the nutjob parents.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2619 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

@Quick if 3500 people had died from the vaccine in the UK, how could they have also died from Conservative domestic policy stripping away their ability to live? Curious!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2620 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 April 2021 - 07:46 AM, said:

@Quick if 3500 people had died from the vaccine in the UK, how could they have also died from Conservative domestic policy stripping away their ability to live? Curious!

Ha! It's all a grand conspiracy I tells ya!

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users