Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2381 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:23 AM

'Why Aren't We Wearing Better Masks?

Cloth masks are better than nothing, but they were supposed to be a stopgap measure.

[...] Both of us wrote articles as far back as March urging people to wear homemade cloth masks. We're also the authors (along with 17 other experts) of a paper titled "An Evidence Review of Face Masks Against COVID," which was just published in peer-reviewed form in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. But it's past time for better solutions to be available to the public.

[...] We'd hoped that by 2021 supply chains would have ramped up enough to ensure that everyone had better masks.

[...] Unlike cloth masks, medical-grade masks (also called respirators) that adhere to standards such as N95 (in the U.S.), FFP2 (in the European Union), and KN95 (in China) do a much better job of protecting the wearer and dampening transmission. Ideally, they should also come with instructions on how to wear them and ensure that they fit properly.

[...] Tragically, America is swamped with fraudulent medical-grade masks, some of which are only 1 percent effective. [...]

[...] Worse, the supply situation apparently remains so dire that the CDC still "does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators," because they're crucial supplies that must continue to be reserved for health-care workers and other first responders.

Not all countries have this problem. Taiwan massively scaled up its manufacturing of masks at the start of 2020, such that by April every citizen received a fresh supply of high-quality masks each week, and the distribution system was regulated by the government. Taiwan's COVID-19 death rate per capita is more than 1,000 times lower than that in the U.S. Hong Kong has been distributing patented six-layer masks (the efficacy of which has been laboratory tested) to every citizen. Singapore is on at least its fourth round of distributing free, reusable, multilayer masks with filters to everyone—even kids, who get kid-size ones. In Germany, Bavaria has just announced that it will be requiring higher-grade masks. If all of these places can do this, why can't we?

Fixing this problem is more urgent now that a new variant of the coronavirus, known as the B.1.1.7 lineage, is making its way around the world. This variant is believed to be about 50 to 70 percent more transmissible than earlier strains of the virus. Masks are an important part of the battle against this new variant because they decrease transmission by reducing the number of infectious particles spread by a mask wearer (known as "source control") and by reducing the amount that a mask wearer inhales. The cloth masks that we focus on in our paper do a good job at source control, but on their own they do not protect the wearer as well as medical-grade respirators do. [...] Right now, while the CDC language on supply shortages has not been updated, it's unclear if that's because the shortages are really that dire or because this topic has not been paid sufficient attention. In either case, the CDC should update us on the situation. And if, indeed, we are still suffering from shortages, emergency measures should finally be implemented to manufacture such masks at home.

Ideally we would have ramped up supply and been able to produce and distribute certified higher-filtration masks to the whole population. At a minimum, we should have created a certification program and a distribution channel that allows people to purchase higher-grade masks with confidence. Even better, we could have distributed them to the public for free like so many other places. It's not just that many other countries showed us the way: Many experts have been urging a switch to better-grade masks as soon as possible.

We need the CDC and the FDA to step up and provide simple, clear, actionable, and specific information that would allow the public to know which masks are reliable and where they can get them, as well as how to upgrade and better wear their existing options. [...] A good supply of KN95 masks is available from China, with many supermarkets and pharmacies now selling them for a couple of dollars each. But none of these solutions can work widely as long as the public has little guidance on which masks are reliable and certified.

When, three months ago, one of us found FDA-certified KN95 masks at a local supermarket, she was shocked that they were just sitting in a large bin, next to similarly priced single-layer cloth masks. There was no run on them, because the public was not informed of their importance. When she spread word of the masks on social media, hoping some locals would be able to take advantage of this chance, she was inundated by people asking whether they were fake—a valid concern, given that the country is awash in fake masks. She ended up purchasing a bunch to distribute, an effort that would have been comical if it weren't so tragic.'

https://www.theatlan...r-masks/617656/

'Still going to the grocery store? With new virus variants spreading, it's probably time to stop.

Health experts say you should avoid optional trips whenever you can. You probably need a better mask, too.

[...] While these variants haven't been shown to be more deadly, a more transmissible virus is actually worse in many ways than a more lethal one. Cases snowball at a faster rate [...] With a 50 percent rise in infectiousness, for example, "in less than two weeks, you get twice the number of cases," Lipsitch said. "And in a month or so, you have four, five times as many cases. But that's very approximate." The case growth could be even more dramatic[...]

More cases mean more really sick people, more strain on hospitals and health workers, more rationing of health care — and more deaths, including the entirely preventable ones now firmly linked to ICU bed shortages. More cases will also give the virus more opportunities to mutate further and potentially escape our vaccines, perpetuating the cycle of doom.

[...] At an individual level, that means avoiding optional gatherings with other people — even grocery trips — whenever possible, or cutting them very short.

It's also time for governments to bring more urgency to what they should have been doing already: ensuring better masks for the population, and protecting at-risk groups by setting workplace standards, running inspections, and offering programs like paid sick leave and paid isolation.

It's time to avoid other people, even at the grocery store (if possible)

We know the virus can't spread if we keep our distance from other people. But with the new variants, it might be even easier to catch.

The B.1.1.7 [...] variant's spike protein — the thorny edges on the surface that fit into the receptor in our cells — may be even "stickier," meaning it's even more effective at entering human cells.'

https://www.vox.com/...iDiilbniNISL2as

Wonder if these mutations could increase the risk of fomite or ocular transmission....

'The literature was analyzed to understand ocular transmission as well as molecular mechanisms by which SARS-CoV-2 enters cells and replicates. Analysis of gene expression profiles from available datasets, published immunohistochemistry, as well as current literature was reviewed, to assess the likelihood that ocular inoculation of SARS-CoV-2 results in systemic infection. Recent findings: The ocular surface and retina have the necessary proteins[...] to be infected with SARS-CoV-2. In addition to direct ocular infection, virus carried by tears through the nasolacrimal duct to nasal epithelium represent a means of ocular inoculation. Summary: There is evidence that SARS-CoV-2 may either directly infect cells on the ocular surface, or virus can be carried by tears through the nasolacrimal duct to infect the nasal or gastrointestinal epithelium.

[...] A review of the literature [41–52]and a recent meta-analysis reported in Lancet [53] demonstrates that lack of ocular protection increases the risk of contracting MERS, SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2 (Figure 5). This result is further supported by a recent JAMA article that demonstrated the use of a face shield reduced seroconversion in community health workers from 19% to 0% [54]. Face shield use, unlike direct eye protection such as goggles, complicates assessment of direct ocular transmission. In addition to ocular surface protection, face shields could also act to reduce respiratory or gastrointestinal exposure. Importantly, even the protective effect of goggles does not imply virus directly invades the ocular surface as virus can be carried via tear drainage into the nasal or gastrointestinal epithelium where infection can occur.

[...] our analysis of the literature as well as analysis of genes involved inviral infection in ocular tissues, suggest that both direct infection of the ocular surface or transmission of the virus through tears down the nasolacrimal duct to infect the nasal epithelium are both plausible.Recent data in the laboratory demonstrates that conjunctival explants can be infected, thus ocular transmission is quite likely.'

https://www.research...-CoV-2_A_Review

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 January 2021 - 02:28 AM

#2382 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:14 AM

My 5 year old is quarantined till the 26th. Apparently a kid she plays with at preschool tested positive today.

Thank the gods the wife’s job is flexible and I’m self employed.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2383 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:27 PM

9 days to go, SB. Nightmare despite your "thank god," caveats.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 16 January 2021 - 08:27 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2384 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Yep, thanks! I think we've got our schedules figured out so neither of us has to miss work and can avoid being around others just in case she has it and has passed it on to us. Worst case scenario we could probably let her stay with my mother in law for a couple of days. She got over Covid a few weeks ago, and shouldnt be able to be re-infected should the kid have it.

The kid herself is pretty salty though. She's not very happy she cant go to school, or to Grandmas, or go with me to the store.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2385 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

Let her meet Mr wooden spoon.
Cure all for saltyness

#2386 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

Co-worker tested positive, so I had to isolate and get a test. Negative thankfully, but not fun. Co-worker asymptomatic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2387 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:31 AM

Now is a great time to visit your sister ...

:devil:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 January 2021 - 08:31 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2388 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:11 AM

'The Trump administration bailed out prominent anti-vaccine groups during a pandemic

Five groups received more than $850,000 in PPP loans to help small businesses through the pandemic

Posted Image

[...] many Americans hold skeptical attitudes about vaccination, attitudes that public health experts have said are attributable in part to misinformation. Nearly 40 percent of Americans say they definitely or probably would not get a coronavirus vaccine, according to a December survey by the Pew Research Center. Certain groups, including Republicans and Black Americans, are even more skeptical, Pew found.

[...] The Children's Health Defense Co., founded by Robert Kennedy Jr.[...] has posted on its social media channels about the "great reset" conspiracy theory, which holds that "global elites" such as Bill Gates will use the pandemic to advance their interests and push forward a globalist or Marxist plot to destroy American sovereignty and prosperity and control the population.

[...] The anti-vaccine groups are ramping up their tactics and messaging at a moment when more and more Americans are searching for accurate information about coronavirus vaccines.

[...] "Lending money to these organizations so they can prosper is a sickening use of taxpayer money. These groups are actively working to undermine the national covid vaccination drive, which will create long-term health problems that are felt most acutely in minority communities and low-income neighborhoods," [...]

[...] Although the SBA reserves the right to audit specific PPP loans, the government performed almost no vetting of specific loan recipients beyond a basic check to determine whether the applicant had already received a loan.

[...] In some cases, the government has tried to claw back money after media outlets highlighted certain recipients. In April, it asked publicly traded companies to return money, and it later accused local Planned Parenthood affiliates of improperly accessing PPP loans.

[...] "These organizations have been sowing the seeds of doubt about vaccines and public health for years," [...] "Now, in the middle of a pandemic, they are accepting funds for the chaos they've helped to create"'

https://www.washingt...s-anti-vaccine/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 January 2021 - 03:12 AM

#2389 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

I suppose when healthcare is big business, anti-vaccine groups make more sense. Keep folk sick, keep the cashflow moving.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2390 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

Two co-workers who I interact with when in the office tested positive, so I had to go get tested (my first of the Pandemic actually) and luckily tested negative. The bad news was this meant that these two are off and there is no one to really cover their jobs (jobs that I don't currently do, but used to do when I started in the industry), so I was the last bastion for the company to save their butts, and have had a few days of trial by fire doing their work without having known fully how (things have changed since I ddi this)...so I feel pretty good about myself actually. Feels good to be making sure the rest of the company is gainfully employed while a Lynch pin department is out sick.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2391 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:15 PM

I got swabbed in a drive thru set up yesterday out of an abundance of caution. It burned and it was oddly helpful for the person doing the swab to count down about how long it needed to be in there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2392 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 January 2021 - 06:09 PM, said:

Two co-workers who I interact with when in the office tested positive, so I had to go get tested (my first of the Pandemic actually) and luckily tested negative. The bad news was this meant that these two are off and there is no one to really cover their jobs (jobs that I don't currently do, but used to do when I started in the industry), so I was the last bastion for the company to save their butts, and have had a few days of trial by fire doing their work without having known fully how (things have changed since I ddi this)...so I feel pretty good about myself actually. Feels good to be making sure the rest of the company is gainfully employed while a Lynch pin department is out sick.

Go go gadget-QuickTidal! Don't let them forget come appraisal time.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 19 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2393 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

View PostCyphon, on 19 January 2021 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 January 2021 - 06:09 PM, said:

Go go gadget-QuickTidal! Don't let them forget come appraisal time.

Oh don't worry, I won't. :)

#2394 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Wow, we're a week out from the creation of this thread's one year anniversary. Holy shit.

What do you guys remember about the very early days of the NEW?

#2395 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

'New study shows COVID-19 could hide in your brain and reactivate down the road

[...] COVID-19 may clear the lungs, but not necessarily the body.

“(The) brain is one of the organs where viruses like to hide. We know that because there is no immune response. So viruses like to go to a place and hide where they can be safe,” [...]

The virus can hide in the brain, remain dormant there and even show itself again.

“It’s hard for a virus to hide in your lungs. It’s much easier for the virus to hide in your central nervous system,” [...]

Signs of this are evident with loss of taste and smell common in people infected with COVID-19. That is an attack on the central nervous system through the brain.

The GSU team monitored the diverse symptoms in the mice and noted brain infection mostly caused their death, not lung infection. They believe this can also be true in certain human cases.

[...] a large percentage of people who recover do have some sort of brain dysfunction. Researchers agree our organs are well equipped to fight the infection, but once it reaches the brain, Dr. Kumar stated, “even if you test negative, that does not necessarily mean that you have completely cleared the virus.”

When the virus reaches the brain it can cause low level inflammation and even make people more susceptible to brain diseases like auto-immune disease and Parkinson’s. Kumar emphasized how crucial it is to wear a mask and cover your nose to protect from having the virus enter there and go directly into your brain. GSU researchers say there is plenty of work ahead of them since there’s still a lot to learn about coronavirus.'

https://www.wsbtv.co...0BVRNcpg4c-sw0U

#2396 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:13 PM

WELL THAT'S NOT TERRIFYING OR ANYTHING...

#2397 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:58 AM

News media in general is pretty bad at reporting on anything about scientific research. That article was way worse than the normal, pay it no heed.

#2398 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 January 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

Nothing but fear tactics. We've heard this refrain before - SARS, swine flu, <plug in scary cold name here>. I'm guessing it is designed by China to control or distract from something. Hong Kong protests because they about to brutally crack down? Uyghur reeducation camps gaining traction? China is attempting to get peoples' minds on something else.

Was watching a doctor being interviewed on the local news and he stated that during a slow season the common flu will easily kill more people. The number of times I've heard Coronavirus segments end with - "please remember to wash your hands" - has been worth a few chuckles from me though.

Some comments have not aged well. If only China and the WHO had been honest from the outset, maybe Malankazooie's comment woyld have been more prophetic.

#2399 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

I thought it would turn out to be nothing back in January/February, then suddenly they started freighting dead bodies away from Italian hospitals and things got really real, really fast. But in March it also seemed a lot more scary than it turned out to be.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 23 January 2021 - 08:15 PM

#2400 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:16 PM

I did some reading up on SARS (which was much scarier than fear tactics). The Chinese initial obfuscation and WHO bumbling along with it was surprisingly similar to what happened with COVID-19.

I think this has been as scary as I thought. In my area, we have enough official daily positive cases that 1 in 22 have it or have had it. 1 in 1456 died and many more have had serious consequences. Those are official numbers and the real total is probably a good deal higher because we still don't have good testing, isolation, or safety protocols and equipment in place.

It's nice to hear you talking about how it's less serious for you. I'm actively happy that it's safe enough to say that where you are.

I just turned down a card game with my brother and a couple close friends, so things are feeling tough.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users