Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2401 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

The difference lies in that America had no leadership, no consensus on protocol and an abundance of ignorant assholes, where as Denmark had a strong rally to the flag period. There was no reason that America should be worse of than other countries.

I also imagine that America statistically has more vulnerable people health-wise and a medical system that's not exactly charitable.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 23 January 2021 - 09:25 PM

#2402 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

If you guys can find it, you should watch the interview with Dr. Deborah Birx on Face the Nation that aired this morning (Sunday, Jan. 24).

#2403 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Did she make up a ton of excuses for lending credibility to Trump's Corona circus?

#2404 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:36 PM

I skimmed the transcript so may have missed important details but she does not seem to have covered herself in glory. If things were as bad as she claims they should have as a group given an ultimatum to resign if things were not changed or as a group written to congress and demanded an investigation.

I think she said there was only one full time member in the White House who was dealing with covid? Country of 50 states, 400 million and one full time person.

They say it was better to work on the inside and wield what little influence the could but it sounds like they achieved very little.

#2405 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

Oh, believe me, I never suggested, and I don't think it comes across as I had that intention, that watching the interview would in any way redeem Dr. Birx. It was more a suggestion to get an idea about just how much of a, not only a cluster fuck, but an outright disinformation program was being presented to the American public by Trump's assembled team, and by unnamed or unknown outsiders who were pushing different messaging because... election.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 25 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

#2406 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

But. But I thought it was all a hoax! :shockedpicachuface:

#2407 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:57 AM

Wife's had a few symptoms after the jab (probably a coinkydink but you know) so we've had to get her tested and until she gets the results I'm obliged to not leave my house. Lovely.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2408 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 January 2021 - 08:57 AM, said:

Wife's had a few symptoms after the jab (probably a coinkydink but you know) so we've had to get her tested and until she gets the results I'm obliged to not leave my house. Lovely.

The first jab takes two weeks to produce the requisite immune response, so she could very much get the virus during that window and even after (first jab is only 50% protection), so here's hoping she doesn't have it, and is just having mild vaccine jab symptoms. Good she got tested nonetheless. Hope she's negative.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2409 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:34 PM

'Covid linked to risk of mental illness and brain disorder, study suggests

One in eight people who get coronavirus also have first psychiatric or neurological illness within six months, research finds

[...] adding heft to an emerging body of evidence that stresses the toll of the virus on mental health and brain disorders cannot be ignored.

The analysis – which is still to be peer-reviewed – also found that those figures rose to one in three when patients with a previous history of psychiatric or neurological illnesses were included.

It found that one in nine patients were also diagnosed with things such as depression or stroke despite not having gone to hospital when they had Covid-19, which was surprising, said the lead author, Dr Max Taquet of the department of psychiatry at the University of Oxford.

The analysis, which accounted for known risk factors such as age, sex, race, underlying physical and mental conditions and socio-economic deprivation, found that the incidence of neurological or psychiatric conditions post-Covid within six months was 33.6%. Nearly 13% received their first such diagnosis.

The data adds to prior research by Taquet and others that showed nearly one in five people who have had Covid-19 are diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder within three months of testing positive for the virus.

In the latest analysis, the researchers found that most diagnoses were more common after Covid-19, than after influenza or other respiratory infections – including stroke, acute bleeding inside the skull or brain, dementia, and psychotic disorders.
[...]The question was how long these conditions might persist after diagnosis, said Taquet. "I don't think we have an answer to that question yet."

He added: "For diagnoses like a stroke or an intracranial bleed, the risk does tend to decrease quite dramatically within six months … but for a few neurological and psychiatric diagnoses we don't have the answer about when it's going to stop."

The likelihood that a proportion of patients who were given psychiatric or neurological diagnosis after Covid-19 had underlying illness that just hadn't been diagnosed previously, could not be entirely ruled out – but the analysis indicated that this was not the case, he suggested.

[...] Although the study does not prove that Covid-19 is directly behind these psychiatric and neurological conditions, research that suggests the virus can have an impact on the brain and the central nervous system is emerging.

[...] "I think particularly this raises a few disorders up the list of interests, particularly dementia and psychosis[...]"'

https://www.theguard...obox=1611611975

'I spent a good chunk of my career designing, running and analyzing industrial experiments, and as policymakers stray further away from the underlying science, I have a bad feeling about the rollout of the Covid-19 vaccines

At issue is a push to deviate from the treatment protocol that produced the highly promising clinical trial results. [...]

When the outcome of a carefully-designed experiment returns positively, the straightforward next step is to roll out the treatment "per protocol". Any deviation from the protocol requires assumptions (coming from intuition, experience, and gut feelings) modifying the science. The point of running a randomized controlled trial is to follow the science rather than one's guts.

The specific alterations to the treatment protocol are as follows:

the elimination of the second dose

extending the timing of the second dose (if a supply shortage were to materialize, the delay of the second dose may become infinite, folding this into the first item)

the size of the first dose (in the case of the AstraZeneca trial, they had initially trumpeted a half-dose followed by full-dose treatment, which has been quietly forgotten
after the U.K. government decided to authorize a one-dose treatment. Does anyone know if the single dose is a half dose or a full dose?)

mixing and matching different vaccines (such as Moderna and Pfizer)

the success metric now based on (very small?) immunological samples and not based on cases confirmed by PCR testing

So far, the U.K. is the only country that adopts most of these as official policy while the U.S. and others currently claim they allow them for "exceptional cases". The U.S. announced that second doses are no longer reserved for those who have taken their first shots, increasing the chance that people would not receive their second doses at the prescribed time, if ever.

A fundamental best practice of running statistical experiments on random samples of a population is that once the winning formula is rolled out to the entire population, the scientists should look at the real-world data and confirm that the experimental results hold.

This post-market validation is hard even if properly done. That's because on rollout, everyone is eligible for the treatment, and those who have received the vaccine up to the time of analysis do not form a random sample of the entire population. So any difference between the vaccinated and unvaccinated groups may not be a pure effect of vaccination. (This difference is why we conduct randomzied controlled trials, which allow scientists to isolate causes.)

The action of the U.K. government (and others who may follow suit) has severely hampered any post-market validation. It is almost impossible to compare real-world evidence with the experimental result, because most people are not even getting the scientifically-proven treatment per protocol!'

https://junkcharts.t...sruleyourworld/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

#2410 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 January 2021 - 02:31 PM, said:

The first jab takes two weeks to produce the requisite immune response, so she could very much get the virus during that window and even after (first jab is only 50% protection), so here's hoping she doesn't have it, and is just having mild vaccine jab symptoms. Good she got tested nonetheless. Hope she's negative.

Test was negative but on further consultation with our GP regarding the symptoms that are still ongoing they're investigating whether she's developed BPPV or something similar. Fun times ahead.

#2411 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

Knowing that, according to China, the anal swab tests are more accurate, would you take it if it was available? I personally would. I'd prefer it over having my brain stabbed with a q-tip.

#2412 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 January 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

Test was negative but on further consultation with our GP regarding the symptoms that are still ongoing they're investigating whether she's developed BPPV or something similar. Fun times ahead.

Ooof, glad to hear she's was negative for COVID, but sorry to hear that she might have BPPV. At least BPPV is treatable, but still not fun.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2413 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 January 2021 - 04:47 PM, said:

Knowing that, according to China, the anal swab tests are more accurate, would you take it if it was available? I personally would. I'd prefer it over having my brain stabbed with a q-tip.

Yes, from a purely sensation based perspective. However, butt checks can't be done drive thru without some uh rather interesting contortions or assistance.

My drive thru experience was pretty awesome - the verbal countdown for how long the swab would be up my nasal cavity was incredibly calming. It was also very fast for processing and I think reasonably safe for the people doing the tests.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2414 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:52 PM

I'd rather die than have a q-tip shoved up my ass.

#2415 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:10 PM

Says more about you I think than the testing

#2416 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

I'm so sick of home school. It's this whole new world of self-doubt.

What are UK people thinking of travel restrictions? I kind of want them to pull up the drawbridge now, I just don't want vaccine resistant mutations getting in because I can't be arsed with it anymore. It's a simplistic approach though, as evidenced by support from Priti Patel!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2417 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

We should of closed the borders NZ style last March. We need to pursue a zero covid strategy.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2418 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:58 PM

I saw an empty activity bus this evening on the commute back home. I almost cried. What do kids do now to occupy their time?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 27 January 2021 - 11:59 PM

#2419 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 January 2021 - 06:18 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 January 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

Ooof, glad to hear she's was negative for COVID, but sorry to hear that she might have BPPV. At least BPPV is treatable, but still not fun.

I'm 95% it's down to overwork. Being a social carer and management level, she puts in big hours but tanks herself doing it.

As an aside, De Pfeffel is apparently sorry that 100,000 covid deaths have happened in the UK. But hey at least he's doing his best!

#2420 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:52 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 January 2021 - 08:10 PM, said:

Says more about you I think than the testing

Well said, Maccy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users