Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2781 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

So the mixing and matching mRNA vaccine was easier on me than my first dose with the AZ, which knocked me out for 3 days. This took me down with a mild fever, some aches and chills for roughly 24hrs, and today I'm fine. HUZZAH!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2782 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:46 PM

Oh, and lastly...and I'd like to preface this by saying that we are (in Ontario) something like 75%-80% single dosed vaxxed, and on our way to double doses at that level AND we are opening back up (we are in Stage 2, and halfway to Stage 3 which is the final stage of reopening)...and MOST things are open now with social distancing and masks still largely in play...but we drove past the Anti-lockdown moron parade on Saturday (which used to be a few hundred people at best), and it was a pitiful like 30 people with signs...and it makes you realize that not only have these idiots tied their whole identity to this stupid ass cause to the point where we are pretty much opening up, and seeing the back of this pandemic and they are still screeching about "no more lockdowns and open up!"...but they have also spent 1.5 YEARS accomplishing jack diddly squat with this petulance beyond wasting police budgets (the cops have to accompany them like any protest)...at no point did any of the anti-lockdown people have any effect whatsoever on policy.

It just makes me laugh. I am now assuming that these people will fall back into just being anti-vaxx (in which, fuck it, get sick homey, be the Delta variants control group...I no longer care), and anti-mask as I expect masks to still be ubiquitous til at least years' end indoors.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2783 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:14 PM

I'm not so sure QT. Sadly I think you'll get to see what happens in petri dish Britain.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2784 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:47 PM

View PostCyphon, on 05 July 2021 - 04:14 PM, said:

I'm not so sure QT. Sadly I think you'll get to see what happens in petri dish Britain.

Indeed. The control group of unvaccinated seem to be almost the whole of the outbreak there, no?

#2785 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 05 July 2021 - 06:42 PM

Or first vaccinated. It feels like the unlocking is a very privileged/boomer led decision. The removal of mask requirements is particularly worrying since that's more about protecting others than it is protecting yourself.

I will not be surprised if we meet the criteria to relock down but Boris might actually stick to his word and keep his pledge that this is irreversible. Difficult times ahead still.

#2786 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2021 - 06:53 PM

View PostCyphon, on 05 July 2021 - 06:42 PM, said:

Or first vaccinated. It feels like the unlocking is a very privileged/boomer led decision. The removal of mask requirements is particularly worrying since that's more about protecting others than it is protecting yourself.

I will not be surprised if we meet the criteria to relock down but Boris might actually stick to his word and keep his pledge that this is irreversible. Difficult times ahead still.

Sorry you guys are dealing with that. I may have to listen to screeching anti-lockdown/anti-vaxxer people here, but at least my govt had its hand slapped with the 3rd wave enough to be VERY conservative about reopening us so we seem to be doing okay on that front.

#2787 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:11 PM

yah, we fucked

#2788 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:36 AM

And to everyone's complete lack of surprise:

https://www.news.com...7224dadcb657978

About 160 year 12 students at St Joseph’s College in Hunters Hill received Covid-19 Pfizer vaccine
About 160 students at an elite Sydney private school have already received the Pfizer jab, despite people under 40 not yet being eligible.

Anthony Piovesan

NCA NewsWire
JULY 6, 2021 4:45PM

Australians under 40 could be eligible to receive the Pfizer or Moderna jabs as early as September, based on a recent estimate from the head of the…
About 160 year 12 students at a prestigious Sydney school were given the Covid-19 Pfizer jab despite the national rollout only allowing for people aged 40 and above to get it.

St Joseph’s College at Hunters Hill asked Sydney Local Health District in May about the possibility of vaccinations for the students given many of them were boarders from remote, regional and Indigenous communities.

In a statement seen by NCA NewsWire, school principal Ross Tarlington said NSW Health approved the administration of the vaccines through Sydney Local Health District.

“The college proceeded to make arrangements for the administration of the approved vaccine at a centre determined by NSW Health,” it said.

“Acknowledging that the college does not determine vaccination priority, it welcomed the opportunity to offer the vaccine for students given the approvals provided and for the reasons listed above.

“The college will continue to encourage and support members of its community to receive the appropriate vaccine as the opportunity arises.”

It is understood the students received their first doses at the end of the last school term and were set to receive their second jabs when school resumed.

Only people aged between 40 and 60 were officially eligible to receive the Pfizer shot in NSW, as well as priority groups of other ages, such as people working in health or quarantine front lines, those with disabilities and household contacts, and Indigenous people aged over 16.

Four per cent of St Joseph’s students are Indigenous.

Australians aged under 40 could expect to become eligible for a Pfizer or Moderna shot about “September or October”, according to the head of the COVID-19 vaccine task force.

Lieutenant General John Frewen said on Tuesday younger Australians could also be given a choice as to which mRNA jab they received, once enough doses arrived and access was expanded.

“St Joseph’s College takes advice from NSW Health and follows public health orders regarding the Covid-19 pandemic,” Mr Tarlington wrote.

“The safety of our school and local community remains a key priority in all college decision making.”

The move sparked an angry reaction online, with some blasting it as “the height of privilege”.

Others criticised the move to inoculate students before frontline workers, or school teachers.

Deputy Nationals leader David Littleproud said he did not know the specifics of the vaccinations in this case.

“On the face of it, before we jump to conclusions, I think it is important to get to the facts of what’s happened at that particular school, particularly when you have remote students boarding,” Mr Littleproud told ABC.

“I, myself, was a boarding school student and when they return into remote communities that don’t have the tertiary health facilities to support those communities, some of these things can put lives at risk.

“So I would expect that the chief medical officer in NSW has made that determination on science and health factors rather than anything else.”

NSW Health has been contacted for comment.

-------------------------------------------

For a bit of context, the NSW State Govt is a Liberal-National coalition (like the rest of the country, but still ...), with the Libs being the local conservatives (nice ironic labelling eh?) and the Nats being the rural yokels party.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2789 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:41 AM

Rich gonna rich.

In other news, one of our apprentices has been admitted to ICU, not on a ventilator, getting supplementary oxygen. Awake and ok that way, just feeling fucking awful.

He took a Friday a week and a half ago off to go give a mate a helping hand on another job. Pretty much every one on that job has tested positive and is ill. Luckily (for us, not him) he found out on the Sunday and didn't come back over to us. Started feeling shite the next day.

#2790 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:15 AM

There's no way the reopening isn't a decision to benefit the tory voter base (old or rich or some combination thereof assholes) because it certainly doesn't benefit the younger people here. I'm 33 and haven't had second dose yet. I think there are some around 18 yet to even get the first. Further proof that this government holds very large swathes of the country (namely those who don't vote for their ilk) in absolute contempt.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2791 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:37 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 July 2021 - 08:41 AM, said:

Rich gonna rich.

In other news, one of our apprentices has been admitted to ICU, not on a ventilator, getting supplementary oxygen. Awake and ok that way, just feeling fucking awful.

He took a Friday a week and a half ago off to go give a mate a helping hand on another job. Pretty much every one on that job has tested positive and is ill. Luckily (for us, not him) he found out on the Sunday and didn't come back over to us. Started feeling shite the next day.

That is brutal. Hope the guy ends up okay. Glad you didn't all get him on your site as a vector. Good on him for informing you all before coming back over.

#2792 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:31 PM

Maybe early to ask this, but what the heck.

So as a knock-on effect of things being shut down, which resulted in the common flu season 2020/21 having the smallest impact in history (don't quote me on that, but I thought I caught the tail end of a news broadcast stating such), and now things opening up, will this upcoming flu season 2021/22 be extraordinarily severe?

#2793 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:38 PM

They're seeing the equivalent in paediatrics with RSV but that's a little different to flu as it's first exposure kind of illness rather than recurring like flu.

#2794 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 July 2021 - 09:54 PM

Double jabbed! Come cough on me world!

Actually, no, don't do that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2795 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:18 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 July 2021 - 06:31 PM, said:

Maybe early to ask this, but what the heck.

So as a knock-on effect of things being shut down, which resulted in the common flu season 2020/21 having the smallest impact in history (don't quote me on that, but I thought I caught the tail end of a news broadcast stating such), and now things opening up, will this upcoming flu season 2021/22 be extraordinarily severe?

Hmm, after some quick googling (alarmingly, the top results for 'flu' were about Covid-19... wtf):

1. 'cold and flu viruses mutate so rapidly that sometimes they're unrecognizable to the antibodies created by the body in response to any particular vaccine. It turns out, however, that those antibodies [...] can provide a formidable and life-long defense against the flu, as long as they're pitted against the correct strain.'

http://content.time....1835907,00.html

2. '"After being vaccinated with a new strain of flu, our immune systems appear to be expanding and boosting antibodies generated by previous exposures to earlier flu viruses, whether by infection or vaccination," [...]

[...] "Each vaccination still elicits new antibodies that are highly specific to the new strains, but these new antibodies decay over time, returning to the antibody repertoire that already existed before the vaccination," [...]

More than 70 percent of the antibody molecules found in the donor's bloodstream remained the same over five years. More than two-thirds of these persistent antibodies targeted invariant parts of the virus -- the elements that do not change from one year to the next.

These persistent antibodies continue to be produced by the immune system for years and can affect our ability to generate novel antibodies that recognize unique molecular features of a new seasonal strain.'

https://www.scienced...90320110619.htm

3. To actually answer your question... apparently yes. '"We've gone over a year without a significant portion of the population getting infected with flu and getting immunity because of that,"[...]"That could mean that the susceptible people in the population to flu are going to be increasing."

[...]

"With low level population immunity, that could bring about more cases," [...] "We could see more pediatric deaths and, concurrent with that, a rise in cases within the whole community. That's because overall population immunity is predicted to be low."

Scientists say another aspect of this unusual flu season is that there doesn't appear to be many flu strains circulating.

"It's interesting," Hensley said. "Typically, there's a lot of genetic diversity of these viruses."

It's unclear whether there are actually fewer strains circulating, or if there has just been limited sampling of the virus because there have been so few cases, meaning it may be possible other strains are out there that haven't been detected.'

https://www.nbcnews....-could-n1266534

Guess pediatric cases might particularly be severe because children haven't had as much time to build up immunity to the invariant parts of the flu?

But fewer strains of the flu might make it easier for people who do get the flu vaccine to fight it off. IDK if Covid-19 anti-vaxxers who used to get their yearly flu shot will now refuse it---I wouldn't expect that to be a 'large' group....

Perhaps we need galaxy sized quantum computers to understand the folly of Humanity.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 July 2021 - 02:19 AM

#2796 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:32 AM

You just know that Saturday is going to be maskless louts screaming and hugging and fighting and spreading. But it's ok cos SCAW SAM FACKIN GOAWLS. Seyk.

#2797 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:11 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 08 July 2021 - 07:32 AM, said:

You just know that Saturday is going to be maskless louts screaming and hugging and fighting and spreading. But it's ok cos SCAW SAM FACKIN GOAWLS. Seyk.

Be even worse on Sunday when the actual game is! ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2798 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 July 2021 - 11:53 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 July 2021 - 09:11 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 08 July 2021 - 07:32 AM, said:

Be even worse on Sunday when the actual game is! ;)

Oh, thought they played them on Saturdays. Shows how much attention I pay to ballsports...

#2799 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 July 2021 - 04:27 AM, said:

I got Moderna shot around 2 PM by 7 my lower back right above my ass cheeks were in full cramping mode. That mixed with my everyday leg pain has lead to a severely uncomfortable situation and expanding cramping location up most of my back and an increase of my normal pain lvl as I constantly squirm and shift to find relief. I can’t find a proper balance to ease either one so it’s ambien time. Hopefully cramping is gone in AM cause I really don’t want to have to take a bit more of my pain meds to dull my legs tomorrow. If cramping persist I will not take the 2nd shot and potentially go through this combination again.

Part of the cramping is related to hydration. After either shot, we must drink way way more water than we usually do.

If you read this, drink big amounts of water asap. It will help, just like it did for me, my wife, and my entire family. There's still going to be some effects, but they usually last only a day or a day and three quarters from our collective experience.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2800 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 July 2021 - 04:11 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 July 2021 - 04:27 AM, said:

I got Moderna shot around 2 PM by 7 my lower back right above my ass cheeks were in full cramping mode. That mixed with my everyday leg pain has lead to a severely uncomfortable situation and expanding cramping location up most of my back and an increase of my normal pain lvl as I constantly squirm and shift to find relief. I can't find a proper balance to ease either one so it's ambien time. Hopefully cramping is gone in AM cause I really don't want to have to take a bit more of my pain meds to dull my legs tomorrow. If cramping persist I will not take the 2nd shot and potentially go through this combination again.

'the delta variant has mutations that allow it to evade some of the neutralizing antibodies produced by vaccines or by a natural infection. A single shot of a two-dose vaccine "barely" offers any protection[...]

But the experiments found that fully vaccinated people — with the recommended regimen of two shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech or AstraZeneca vaccine — should retain significant protection against the delta variant.'
https://www.washingt...f0d6_story.html

'Delta Is Now The Dominant Coronavirus Variant In The U.S.'

https://www.npr.org/...iant-in-the-u-s

All those realistic temporary tattoos of a capital delta (used in math/science to represent change) with spiraling capital deltas inside I bought two years ago have now become... triangles. Any angle but up. Or maybe an upside-down delta... unless the goal is to be terrifying and inappropriate. Or apotropaic.

If a third shot provides more protection I'll definitely get one.

[Edit: maybe I'll turn the delta upside down to make it a gradient---with the inward spiral being gradient descent....]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users