• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Deadhouse Gates Starts february 1st

#121 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 August 2022 - 01:42 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 26 August 2022 - 06:13 PM, said:

As posted earlier, I find myself agreeing with what Ganoes said in MoI, that it would have been far more merciful for Tavore to just execute Felisin and spare her the nasty ordeal.

Well sure, hindsight is 20/20. It's not like Tavore had a crystal ball that told her exactly what was going to happen in the future.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#122 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2022 - 02:23 AM

View PostD, on 27 August 2022 - 01:42 AM, said:

As posted earlier, I find myself agreeing with what Ganoes said in MoI, that it would have been far more merciful for Tavore to just execute Felisin and spare her the nasty ordeal.

Well sure, hindsight is 20/20. It's not like Tavore had a crystal ball that told her exactly what was going to happen in the future.

Tavore Paran, genius military strategist capable of implausibly intricate planning and most annoyingly seems to know about everything, couldn't anticipate her little sister, who's essentially Cher Horowitz, would be unable to handle a place as harsh as the Otataral Mines? Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Tavore herself states in GotM that Felisin is too soft for any world.

Maybe it's because I went through similar stuff, though thankfully nowhere near as bad, but Felisin is the only character whose story genuinely hit me hard. I didn't care about Whiskeyjack being betrayed by Kallor, the Chain of Dogs, Beak, Hetan's hobbling or any other stories readers found heartbreaking, only felt genuinely bad for Felisin.

#123 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 August 2022 - 02:50 PM

So the benevolence you would extend to the one character you empathized with would be to unilaterally euthanize her like an injured racehorse? Remind me never to get on your good side!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#124 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 27 August 2022 - 04:33 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 27 August 2022 - 02:50 PM, said:

So the benevolence you would extend to the one character you empathized with would be to unilaterally euthanize her like an injured racehorse? Remind me never to get on your good side!

Since you're touching on the subject, let me tell you that we're all going to die anyway, and yes, I firmly believe in euthanasia, for death is IMO preferable to a life of agony and suffering.

#125 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 August 2022 - 03:42 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 27 August 2022 - 02:23 AM, said:

Tavore Paran, genius military strategist capable of implausibly intricate planning and most annoyingly seems to know about everything, couldn't anticipate her little sister, who's essentially Cher Horowitz, would be unable to handle a place as harsh as the Otataral Mines? Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Maybe it's because I went through similar stuff, though thankfully nowhere near as bad, but Felisin is the only character whose story genuinely hit me hard. I didn't care about Whiskeyjack being betrayed by Kallor, the Chain of Dogs, Beak, Hetan's hobbling or any other stories readers found heartbreaking, only felt genuinely bad for Felisin.

Yes, the character who has no friends and spends the entire series having a hard time relating to her soldiers and acquaintances on a personal level, not even her Fists or confidants like Fiddler... the character who every single conversation she has in the books is awkward as hell... the character who as a little girl spent her days hiding in the library reading military treatises instead of socializing with other kids, and then grew up to be the Empress' political assassin and secretly a weirdo shadow cultist... it turns out *that* character is incredibly socially awkward and isn't as good a judge of people than she is of strategy and military logistics. What a shock!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#126 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 28 August 2022 - 03:58 AM

View PostD, on 28 August 2022 - 03:42 AM, said:

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 27 August 2022 - 02:23 AM, said:

Yes, the character who has no friends and spends the entire series having a hard time relating to her soldiers and acquaintances on a personal level, not even her Fists or confidants like Fiddler... the character who every single conversation she has in the books is awkward as hell... the character who as a little girl spent her days hiding in the library reading military treatises instead of socializing with other kids, and then grew up to be the Empress' political assassin and secretly a weirdo shadow cultist... it turns out *that* character is incredibly socially awkward and isn't as good a judge of people than she is of strategy and military logistics. What a shock!

Which begs the question. How the hell did Tavore find herself a girlfriend? Considering how emotionally closed off and socially awkward she is, her having a girlfriend baffles me.

#127 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 August 2022 - 05:31 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 28 August 2022 - 03:58 AM, said:

Which begs the question. How the hell did Tavore find herself a girlfriend? Considering how emotionally closed off and socially awkward she is, her having a girlfriend baffles me.

Isn't Zuckerberg married?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#128 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 28 August 2022 - 07:39 AM

I'm pretty sure Zuckerberg being socially awkward is just an act.

#129 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 August 2022 - 08:46 AM

Then I must commend his focus on maintaining the act for his entire life.

The kind of focus required to become a multibillionaire I guess.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 August 2022 - 08:47 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users