Malazan Empire: 2020 Forum Reread of the Malazan Books of the Fallen - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Forum Reread of the Malazan Books of the Fallen

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:53 AM

In the Current State of the forum thread the idea of rereading the Malazan books was brought up since we had the 20th anniversary of GotM this year (approximately).

I realize people are constantly rereading the series but I think there's a lot of us who haven't done a reread in a long time. I think over a decade on my part.

So, what's the temperature on doing a forum reread of the main ten books? Additional publications optional I guess?

We could read a book a month. Starting a new book the 1st in the month perhaps?

#2 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

I'd prefer to stick to the original 10 books.

I've reread a few times but not recently.. years now. As life changes so does your perspective; many of us have had career and family changes since our last phase of communal discussions at the end of tCG, so pretty sure we'd get something different out of it this time around. Not to mention the impact of all the books, movies and tv we've all consumed since then.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

I'd be game. I started a reread a few month ago but only got through the first two before life took over. Been a good few year since I did a full reread.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:32 PM

Couldn't we all just get matching tattoos? Less effort.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

View Postchamp, on 02 December 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

I'd be game. I started a reread a few month ago but only got through the first two before life took over. Been a good few year since I did a full reread.

My last attempt faltered after DG.

Its tricky when there are new books to read to go over things again but listening to the podcast and Erikson interview has reminded me just what a massive accomplishment those 10 books are, and how much I enjoyed them.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

1 book a month sounds good to me. I don't think we want it to drag out into a multi-year affair like the Tor readthrough.

I agree with keeping it to just the original 10, at least to start. When we get around to November next year those who want to keep going can always do so. And/or each month could have 1 "bonus book" for the keeners, from among the short works (NoK and the B&KB books).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

I would be game. I haven't read some of the books since I was a teenager, and the end of the main series essentially coincided with me starting university which brought a significant shift in my reading (and general perspective).

I agree that staying with the main series and aiming for a book a month are both sensible, practically. I think bonus books for the people with more time are a neat idea too. I also assume everyone will be fine with spoilers for the whole series?

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:24 AM

I dunno about the spoilers.

If we're lucky some newbies will jump in and join us. Could be people reading the books for the first time.

On the other hand, this is for the regulars. The fun of the reread will be remembering later events and making new realizations.

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:14 AM

I'm game.

Up until book 7 anyway. Don't think I have the will for 8,9 &10

What about a reread ded thread in each relevant forum?

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:18 AM

Might be a bad idea. In line with the talk about spoilers above, one is not supposed to discuss later book events in the dedicated forum. And we'll certainly want to do that.

Better to do a dedicated thread to each book in the General Book section perhaps?

#11 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

Mmmm, maybe.

Something like that anyway

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

It's a reread... discussing stuff in the book being read in the context of all the other books is part of the fun but it doesn't belong in specific book forums.

I say running ded-thread in the General forum, we can pin it if useful. If we end up with multiple threads we can create a subforum but i doubt that will be necessary.

#13 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostTraveller, on 02 December 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 02 December 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

My last attempt faltered after DG.

Its tricky when there are new books to read to go over things again but listening to the podcast and Erikson interview has reminded me just what a massive accomplishment those 10 books are, and how much I enjoyed them.

It was reading Kellanved's Reach which sparked the urge to reread for me but I know what you mean, there is too much that demands my free time attention nowadays... but the series deserves some loving again.

View PostAbyss, on 05 December 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

It's a reread... discussing stuff in the book being read in the context of all the other books is part of the fun but it doesn't belong in specific book forums.

I say running ded-thread in the General forum, we can pin it if useful. If we end up with multiple threads we can create a subforum but i doubt that will be necessary.

This. I'm most looking forward to discussing the reread tidbits that you find which relate to future books.

This post has been edited by champ: 05 December 2019 - 04:03 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

View Postchamp, on 05 December 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

This. I'm most looking forward to discussing the reread tidbits that you find which relate to future books.

Agreed. There are a bunch of hints in the chapter opener quotes and poems i know i haven't caught on my last reread.
Or the reread before that.
Or the one before that.
I think.

#15 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 December 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 05 December 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

Agreed. There are a bunch of hints in the chapter opener quotes and poems i know i haven't caught on my last reread.
Or the reread before that.
Or the one before that.
I think.

Same. I've been listening to the first few episodes of the Ten Really Big Books podcast. One of them pointed out something that they didn't understand yet, but I instantly knew what it referred to later.. but I didn't remember that particular bit of foreshadowing.

I want to find out what else I missed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users