• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 Game 4C - Chat Thread

#3141 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 03 March 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

Ye-es, but you'd be forced to try and do it in order to maintain your own hope of winning the game.

Shouldn't that same logic apply to you?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3142 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

View PostD, on 03 March 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

Ye-es, but you'd be forced to try and do it in order to maintain your own hope of winning the game.

Yes, but I’m trying to play five-dimensional chess here. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to do anything that might mean Toaster automatically wins, but I’m trying to consider how I can best affect the game to stall anyone from winning.

And as IH pointed out, me going to the three-planet system blocks him from helping take on Toaster, and his help is more useful than mine can be. So it’s either twiddle my thumbs and do nothing at all this round, or seek to make as many players closer to winning than me as uncomfortable as possible going into next round, without tipping it so far that the game actually ends this round. That’s a delicate balance!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#3143 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:15 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 03 March 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Yes, but I’m trying to play five-dimensional chess here. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to do anything that might mean Toaster automatically wins, but I’m trying to consider how I can best affect the game to stall anyone from winning.

And as IH pointed out, me going to the three-planet system blocks him from helping take on Toaster, and his help is more useful than mine can be. So it’s either twiddle my thumbs and do nothing at all this round, or seek to make as many players closer to winning than me as uncomfortable as possible going into next round, without tipping it so far that the game actually ends this round. That’s a delicate balance!

Indeed.

At the very least, it seems clear you should not attack MR this turn. And it doesn't seem like Tapper can stall Leadership long enough for whatever IH had in mind, so IH should attack whatever target he can best strike with on his upcoming turn, too, be it Tequ/Tork or else the 3-planet system. That gives you and I flexibility for how to reach whichever of the other targets is left, Khell.

Unless you actually trust Toaster to spend more CTs on his next turn... but seems to me if he really wanted to persuade us he would dump his CTs, he would have done so on his latest turn instead of the strategic action.

And did I miss something, or did Nom still not state he would do anything about Thibah yet? Kind of a moot point for us to plan all this if Toaster just spends Thibah for CT and wins...

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3144 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

View PostD, on 03 March 2020 - 03:15 PM, said:

Indeed.

At the very least, it seems clear you should not attack MR this turn. And it doesn't seem like Tapper can stall Leadership long enough for whatever IH had in mind, so IH should attack whatever target he can best strike with on his upcoming turn, too, be it Tequ/Tork or else the 3-planet system. That gives you and I flexibility for how to reach whichever of the other targets is left, Khell.

Unless you actually trust Toaster to spend more CTs on his next turn... but seems to me if he really wanted to persuade us he would dump his CTs, he would have done so on his latest turn instead of the strategic action.

And did I miss something, or did Nom still not state he would do anything about Thibah yet? Kind of a moot point for us to plan all this if Toaster just spends Thibah for CT and wins...

IH initially needed 5 rounds. I currently have played 2 actions, I can stall for 3 more.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#3145 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostTapper, on 03 March 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

Yes, but I'm trying to play five-dimensional chess here. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do anything that might mean Toaster automatically wins, but I'm trying to consider how I can best affect the game to stall anyone from winning.

And as IH pointed out, me going to the three-planet system blocks him from helping take on Toaster, and his help is more useful than mine can be. So it's either twiddle my thumbs and do nothing at all this round, or seek to make as many players closer to winning than me as uncomfortable as possible going into next round, without tipping it so far that the game actually ends this round. That's a delicate balance!

Indeed.

IH initially needed 5 rounds. I currently have played 2 actions, I can stall for 3 more.

Yeah I can reach Teq/Tork, but I need 3 turns to do it. Or gwynan if required. I'm sure those of you who are paying attention have worked out which action card I have by now. Toaster could stop me, but would have to spend a CT to do it which works for me. If I go for Tek/Tork I can't do Toasters homeworlds, and if for some reason something changes, I would be unlikely to be able to take his homeworld unless there was a particularly effective plague.

I could do the 3 planet system this turn, but that makes teq/torq a long shot, and I can no longer attack his homeworld.

#3146 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:01 PM

Indeed.

Oh, okay, I misunderstood. I thought you meant 3 or 4 turns total when you said it before.

#3147 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 March 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yes, but I'm trying to play five-dimensional chess here. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do anything that might mean Toaster automatically wins, but I'm trying to consider how I can best affect the game to stall anyone from winning.

And as IH pointed out, me going to the three-planet system blocks him from helping take on Toaster, and his help is more useful than mine can be. So it's either twiddle my thumbs and do nothing at all this round, or seek to make as many players closer to winning than me as uncomfortable as possible going into next round, without tipping it so far that the game actually ends this round. That's a delicate balance!

Indeed.

Yeah I can reach Teq/Tork, but I need 3 turns to do it. Or gwynan if required. I'm sure those of you who are paying attention have worked out which action card I have by now. Toaster could stop me, but would have to spend a CT to do it which works for me. If I go for Tek/Tork I can't do Toasters homeworlds, and if for some reason something changes, I would be unlikely to be able to take his homeworld unless there was a particularly effective plague.

I could do the 3 planet system this turn, but that makes teq/torq a long shot, and I can no longer attack his homeworld.

Even if you reach the homeworld it'd be a very tough fight (even with plague). I think we ought to just commit to the other plan and leave the homeworld be.

Let's put together a draft plan with all the turns in order and make sure it lines up.

#3148 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

Turns 1
Toaster - TA Naalu HW
Tapper - TA Everra
Khell - TA Letnev HW
IH - WARFARE
Nom - TECHNOLOGY
D'rek - IMPERIAL

Turns 2
Toaster - CONSTRUCTION
Tapper - AC spy
Khell
IH - TA nebula
Nom - AC uprising on gwynan
D'rek - TA forn/ari/glies

Turns 3
Toaster
Tapper - {stall}
Khell - TA forn/ari/glies pew pew
IH - AC unexpected action
Nom - TA thibah
D'rek

Turns 4
Toaster
Tapper - {stall}
Khell
IH - TA tequran/torkan
Nom
D'rek

Turns 5
Toaster
Tapper - {stall}
Khell
IH
Nom
D'rek

Turns 6
Toaster
Tapper - LEADERSHIP
Khell
IH
Nom
D'rek

#3149 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

View PostD, on 03 March 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 March 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

Indeed.

Even if you reach the homeworld it'd be a very tough fight (even with plague). I think we ought to just commit to the other plan and leave the homeworld be.

Let's put together a draft plan with all the turns in order and make sure it lines up.

But it would be glorious if I won!

#3150 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

IH, do you really need Tapper to stall 5 times, or just 4?

#3151 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

I will attack Toaster on my turn 4.

#3152 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

Or on my turn 2. And D'rek takes teq torq her turn 2 or 3 after gaining LWD somehow.

Khell I'm guessing you have no way to stall. If Tapper played leadership on turn 4, and Toaster moved his wormhole to say Mansa 3 you could attack D'rek through it no? Or even attack her through it if it didn't move to give her LWD?

#3153 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:38 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 March 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

I will attack Toaster on my turn 4.

{...}

Or on my turn 2. And D'rek takes teq torq her turn 2 or 3 after gaining LWD somehow.

I'm 77% for Teq/Torq (if Khell gives me LWD so I don't lose any ships getting it and can bring them all to T/T). How much are you?

#3154 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:43 PM

What's to stop Toaster moving a ship to block IH from getting to Tequran/Torkan through the nebula?

#3155 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 03 March 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

What's to stop Toaster moving a ship to block IH from getting to Tequran/Torkan through the nebula?

1. It would cost him a CT, at which point mission accomplished for us anyway
2. Tequ/Tork borders the Nebula so that doesn't make any sense

#3156 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:45 PM

The calculator doesn't work well for warfare but I think 85 percent ish with war funding.

#3157 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:45 PM

View PostD, on 03 March 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 03 March 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

1. It would cost him a CT, at which point mission accomplished for us anyway
2. Tequ/Tork borders the Nebula so that doesn't make any sense

Oh duh, sorry, thought there was an empty space hex between the two.

#3158 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 March 2020 - 04:45 PM, said:

The calculator doesn't work well for warfare but I think 85 percent ish with war funding.

Then you should do it. Better odds of success and we don't have to deal with the hassle of getting LWD shared.

#3159 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:50 PM

Turns 1
Toaster - TA Naalu HW
Tapper - TA Everra
Khell - TA Letnev HW
IH - WARFARE
Nom - TECHNOLOGY
D'rek - IMPERIAL

Turns 2
Toaster - CONSTRUCTION
Tapper - AC spy
Khell
IH - TA nebula (must clear Mansa 3 airspace)
Nom - AC uprising on gwynan
D'rek - TA forn/ari/glies

Turns 3
Toaster
Tapper - {stall}
Khell - TA forn/ari/glies pew pew (or he probably attacks me somewhere else 'cause it's all a bluff :shrug:)
IH - AC unexpected action
Nom - TA thibah
D'rek

Turns 4
Toaster
Tapper - {stall}
Khell
IH - TA tequran/torkan
Nom
D'rek

Turns 5
Toaster
Tapper - LEADERSHIP
Khell
IH
Nom
D'rek

#3160 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

This is why games without Hacan are so fun ^_^

Share this topic:

• 189 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

37 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users