• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 Game 4C - Chat Thread

#1841 User is offline   ToasTer86 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

So I will wait with announcement of playing action cards till we get an official answer . Sorry
I might get a rider I want to play

#1842 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostToasTer86, on 27 November 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

So I will wait with announcement of playing action cards till we get an official answer . Sorry
I might get a rider I want to play

Yes, we got the cards before we voted in the agenda phase, but not before completing our status posts, which is when we include riders. Which means if you receive a rider, it will be AFTER you’ve done your post, and cannot play it till the next status phase. Sorry if I wasn’t clear before. Anyway, I’m sure Blend will be along to confirm.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#1843 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

Jazz and Khell are up before you anyway Toaster.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#1844 User is offline   ToasTer86 

• First Sword

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

Ok, I dont understand the added beneift of playing this way.

When the status phase comes just deal everyone their 2 action cards. This way the order of action cards is changed and some cards become way less usefull

#1845 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostGalactic Council, on 08 October 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

Votes for the agenda phase are provided to me offthread via the Game PM. Once I have everyone's votes, I will post the results in the Game Thread using a Custodians post.

Please be sure to review the forum-specific rules for the Strategy and Agenda Phases and the use of Secondaries which can be found at the end of the first post in the Reference Thread.

View PostGalactic Council, on 28 October 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostJazzarm, on 28 October 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

So for agenda phase there's usually a round of Ancient Burial Sites, followed by Veto/Quash, followed by riders. Nekro's prediction is in the 'rider' window. Are we doing all of these effects at the same time? It could be awkward if someone plays a rider and then XXcha decides to Quash, negating the rider - which is not possible normally.

We have tried it a couple of different ways and having people play agenda-affecting abilities/action cards during status phase seemed to be the one that worked best.

Yes, it means that the Xxcha get a chance to see if some others will play riders/other abilities before deciding whether or not to use their Quash ability, but to do it the traditional way would make the agenda phase take way too long due to the time zone issues.

If the Xxcha decide to Quash an agenda, each player who has already done their status phase will be given the opportunity to play an ability/action card on the newly revealed agenda before we finish the status phase.

Found it Toaster

View PostGalactic Council, on 05 November 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 05 November 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

View PostGalactic Council, on 05 November 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 04 November 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

I forget how we ruled action cards and riders.

Did we say action cards are drawn after we play riders etc to avoid the situation where everyone is waiting for action cards and then playing riders?

Basically if i draw over 7 in the status phase, can i play riders already in my hand at the same time to reduce the number i have in hand?

Ie is it
I have 6 in hand, including one rider, i draw 2, play the rider and end the status phase with 7.

Or

I have 6 in hand, including one rider, i draw 2, discard 1 as I'm over the 7 card limit and then play a rider so i end the status phase with 6?

I think we are playing the first variant as we have been playing that riders are played simultaneously with the draw so drawn riders can't be used, but I'm not 100% as I've never been in the situation where i might need to discard an action card.

You can only use what is in your hand at the beginning of the Status Phase on the upcoming agenda phase. That means that what you draw during the status phase cannot be used on the upcoming agenda phase, only subsequent ones. This rule was put into place so as not to delay the status phase. If we did it the second way, it would mean that status phase would have 2 rounds - one where people do their status updates then another one where people decide whether or not they want to play riders/vetoes/abilities, etc. My goal was to keep the status phase down to one round to expedite. So, action cards you draw during the status phase cannot be used for the next agenda phase (unless you have an action card that affects the results of the agenda phase such as Confusing Legal Text or Bribery), only after it!

So in this instance, you choose to play the rider or not before you receive action cards.

Pretty much - I send action cards out once a player has posted their status phase update. Riders must be played in a status phase update, so you have to decide you're going to play the rider before you receive the new action cards.

Your decision on what to discard if you're over your hand limit will be done in private via your game PM once I've sent your new action cards.

#1846 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

There you go last post between IH and GC.

#1847 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

Clarification please on the war sun agenda: if it goes against, does researching war suns mean you can’t hold any action cards ever again, or does it mean you discard when you research, but can after that collect new action cards?
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#1848 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

I'd guess the latter
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#1849 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 27 November 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Clarification please on the war sun agenda: if it goes against, does researching war suns mean you can’t hold any action cards ever again, or does it mean you discard when you research, but can after that collect new action cards?

View PostItwęs Nom, on 27 November 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'd guess the latter

Neither, I don't think. It means if someone had the War Sun technology researched currently, and the agenda went against, that person would discard all their action cards.

After this agenda phase, that would no longer affect the game, only if the agenda went FOR would it continue affecting the game.

#1850 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:19 PM

Toaster, the following is from the Rules Reference Thread, very first post:

View PostGalactic Council, on 26 June 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

3. Agenda Reveals

The agendas for the upcoming Agenda phase will only be revealed at the beginning of the Status Phase.

Both agendas will be revealed at the same time, and voting will otherwise remain the same as in the previous game.

Any action cards or abilities that affect the agendas MUST be played during the Status Phase. This includes the Nekro Virus "Galactic Threat" ability, the Xxcha "Quash" ability, VETO action cards, RIDER action cards, and any other abilities or action cards I may have missed.

And this is from the signup thread:

View PostBlend, on 27 September 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

We also have modified how we do secondaries (you do all secondaries at the beginning of your turn after the primary was played as opposed to right after the primary is played, so as to keep the game moving at a regular pace) and how we do agendas (both agendas are revealed at the beginning of the status phase, you have to play riders and any other abilities that affect the agendas during your status phase, you vote for both agendas at the same time during the agenda phase). The end of first post in the Twilight Imperium Reference Thread in this forum has all the forum specific rules laid out pretty clearly.

Combined with the comments that Tattersail quoted above from my discussion with IH during Round 1 of this game, I think it has been made very clear how the status phase has worked.

The reason we do it this way is so that the game will continue moving when I'm asleep or not around a computer. If every player had to wait until they received their action cards from me before completing their status phase, then it would be tough given I'm in Canada and more than half our players are in Europe. There's really only a few hours in the day where we're all around a computer more or less at the same time.

So yes, you have 2 less action cards then you would in a normal game when you decide if you want to play a rider or whatever, but so does everyone else, and it will allow you to potentially not have to discard as many cards at the end of this status phase.

#1851 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

Just like every previous round :)

And really, the only status phase/agenda phase it affects is the first one. In round 4, for example, yes you now draw your action cards after playing your status phase post, but you have action cards you drew in round 3 that you couldn't immediately use then, either, so net-wise it's all the same except the first round.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#1852 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 27 November 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 27 November 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Twelve is closest to War Suns, he is going to need them too. That means D'rek may get War Suns, so it may be more important for everyone else to be able to make them. That's my thought. Not bothered about the other one to be honest.

Twelve and Khell could both research warsuns next turn if they wanted, which means D'rek could have access to them. Removing there sustain damage ability would probably make warsuns less attractive to Khell, and giving access to everyone else would make them less attractive to twelve I imagine.

Representative democracy is a fun one, would make the agenda phase very interesting, and owed votes considerably more valuable!

No way I'll research war suns if everyone and their dog can then get them. They dont do me any good anyway as I cant afford to even build 1.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#1853 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

View PostGalactic Council, on 27 November 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 27 November 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostItwęs Nom, on 27 November 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'd guess the latter

Neither, I don't think. It means if someone had the War Sun technology researched currently, and the agenda went against, that person would discard all their action cards.

After this agenda phase, that would no longer affect the game, only if the agenda went FOR would it continue affecting the game.

^^Blend is right. "LAW" agendas have lasting effects in their FOR outcome, but not in their AGAINST outcome.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#1854 User is offline   ToasTer86 

• First Sword

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

@ All thanks for clarification.
I really think the War sun agenda is a nothing burger.

The representative government I am always for, as they make the agenda phase easier

#1855 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 27 November 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 27 November 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

And I'd say there is no clear leader right now, twelve has a VP advantage but is stalled due to lack of territory resources, d'rek has the best chance of scoring the 2 vp POs and holds rex, jazz is also in a strong position for some of the 2VP POs, nom has a clear resource advantage and security, toaster has the most VPs and is naalu so always has advantage in terms of winning, I've got quite a few planets but no clear path to a lot of the POs, morgoth has the creuss mobility which should let him claim a few POs, and khells just unlocked monster fleets so is also in a good position, you have your suicide ships which mean you have a clear military advantage... anyones game at this point really.

Yeah, it's all up in the air at this point, and Rex will be deciding factor I am sure. I can't point to the one player I think is in the strongest position to win right now, though D'rek's control of MR might nudge her to the front. If barely.

I have been able to grab objectives every round, but the level 2s will be tricky for me. It's hard to say, but I do enjoy the flexibility of the Creuss.

I think which 2VP objectives we get will play far more of a deciding factor than Rex. I might/probably can get IMPERIAL and use it this coming round because in last round strategy selection I didn't have MR yet and it still felt like early game, but between selling the Speaker token and strategy card selection I doubt I'll be able to get IMPERIAL again while I'm on MR, and if anyone else takes MR I doubt we'll let them ever get IMPERIAL either. In a 9-player game, there's always plenty of buyers for the Speaker token to end up far away from whoever has MR or looks like they're about to take it. Plus there's only 2 players holding 3 SO cards so far, so plenty of incentive to take IMPERIAL and get a free one.

As for the 2VP public objectives, it's looking *very* swingy to me - seems like many of us have been setting up for different possible POs.

IH is setup for the spend TG, spend influence, spend resources, and own planets objective, but he's a ways off from tech objectives, and the more specific conquest objectives are probably pretty tough for him.

Jazz is in the perfect position for the tech objectives, and can probably achieve the spend resources one, but others like spending influence or owning 11 planets are far out of his reach. I'd say he's the one in the best position currently for owning another player's homeworld.

Khell is setup for spend resources and can reach 3 unit upgrades soon, but if it's spend trade goods or 2-in-4-colors he's screwed.

For me, the spend trade goods or 3 unit upgrades objectives are easy, and as Nekro I can probably make it to the 6-CT objective, but I'm behind in owning planets and 2-in-4-colors would be a tough mountain to climb.

Etc etc

Nobody seems to be in a good setup for everything, whatever comes out is going to make a huge shift in who everyone worries about, I think.

#1856 User is offline   Jazzarm 

• Captain

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

View PostItwęs Nom, on 27 November 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

Got an idea for your strategy pick jazz?

I was looking for Trade, but it might depend on the stage 2 that's revealed. Don't we get to see the new objective now though?

#1857 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostJazzarm, on 27 November 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

View PostItwęs Nom, on 27 November 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

Got an idea for your strategy pick jazz?

I was looking for Trade, but it might depend on the stage 2 that's revealed. Don't we get to see the new objective now though?

No, it is revealed at the end of the Status Phase.

#1858 User is offline   ToasTer86 

• First Sword

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

I will get the useless warfare card again :S

@Jazz you still want to to deal, as I refreshed you so you could pay for a PN I had

#1859 User is offline   Jazzarm 

• Captain

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostToasTer86, on 27 November 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

I will get the useless warfare card again :S

@Jazz you still want to to deal, as I refreshed you so you could pay for a PN I had

I specifically didn't trade away my commodities this round to save em for the deal we made, haha.

#1860 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

D'rek where are you wanting my 5 votes to go?

Share this topic:

• 189 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users