• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pity for the Poor Justified or exagerated

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Okay so I don't want to come out as anti-poor. However, Two news stories recently have been grabbing my attention lately and I find myself reacting opposite to how the stories intend me to.

First Story: The shipping industry

With Amazon prime day around the corner a lot is being made about Amazons promise of 2 day delivery and how as a giant in their field they are forcing all other delivery companies to match the standard. I have seen multiple articles on news sites such as cnn and one show by John Oliver high lighting how this is affecting workers negatively (I once saw a south park episode too that's just came back to me in a flashback). One of the aspects John oliver covered in depth was that the workers must regularly walk up to 40 000 steps a day. Now I have a sedentary job as a scientist but in a good day, walking to the office canteen and back, walking from lab to lab, walking in the lab, fetching consumables etc I cover 10 000 steps according to my phone and Samsung watch. According to an online converter 10000 steps is about 7.5 km and 40 000 steps is about 30km. Maybe I'm wrong but my first though on hearing this was that this doesn't seem so terrible. Now of course I don't regularly walk 30 km a day, the only time I have is when I was in London, japan and new York on vacation and I used public transport and walking as my primary transport. I regularly walked 30km a day for up to two weeks and yes the souls of my feet were killing me, I would soak them in hot water and massage them when I got home at night but I eventually adapted.

Now don't get me wrong, it sounds like a terrible job but I am more horrified by the mind numbing drudgery that being a human robot collecting items off of shelves would be. Is paying people with the twin skills of being able to walk and read 15 $ an hour or more really exploitative? I'm willing to agree no one needs 1 day shipping standard, two days is more than acceptable. The only part of the storyI really found horrifying was the way that you have to strategically plan your bathroom breaks to prevent losing time. I personally, I'm sure all of us, sometimes hear natures call with little warning and I haven't felt the need to ask permission since I was in primary school.

Second Story: Disney

So CNN yesterday reported that Abigail Disney (a descendent of walt Disney but not involved in running the company) went undercover at Disney park (California I believe) and said what she saw shocked her. The workers apparently told her its hard to always have to pretend to be happy and then go home and rummage through their neighbours garbage for food to eat. Disneys response was to point out that the lowest starting pay as a Disney employee is 15 $ and hour and goes up from their. Again that means the lowest employee earns the federal minimum wage and 3 $ more an hour than California minimum wage. Maybe I'm missing something but that strikes me as fair. Minimum wage in my country is 1.5$ an hour and while I know their are differences and you cant compare countries directly and I would never want to be in that position myself in south Africa its hard for me to imagine someone earning 15 $ an hour having to eat garbage.

Anyway both stories somehow failed to provoke my pity or sympathy and got me wondering if we don't have a kneejerk reaction this days to being anti big corporates or the man etc. Maybe I shouldn't be judging American workers by my South African standards? Obviously we want the world to always be advancing and for everyones quality of life to always be improving but neither of these two stories moved me to sympathy for these wrokers plights.

This post has been edited by Cause: 17 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

What's $15 an hour times 40 hours? $600.

Minus tax etc, you want to live on that? Maybe feed a family, send them to school etc? Pay utilities? And OMFG - health insurance in the USA is a ruthless ripoff.

Got a car? Or do you use public transport (a joke in the USA) to work.

How's it looking now?

And on 30km a day - break that down into hours and minutes - minus the breaks (the legal granting of which must drive Jeff Bezos nuts) and other interruptions.
Moving among massive lanes of shelving, trying to find stuff, and get it from the top shelves ... you want to maintain that pace all day? And for fuck-all wages?

While Jeff is "worth" $150 bn (noone's labour - intellectual or otherwise - is worth that much) and won't give you a lousy $1 an hour pay rise?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

I won't have time to comment on this before the evening but I just want to add that starting an argument with "I don't want to sound anti-poor, but..." is a great way to get a debate on to the right foot!

#4 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 17 July 2019 - 09:25 AM, said:

What's $15 an hour times 40 hours? $600.

Minus tax etc, you want to live on that? Maybe feed a family, send them to school etc? Pay utilities? And OMFG - health insurance in the USA is a ruthless ripoff.

Got a car? Or do you use public transport (a joke in the USA) to work.

How's it looking now?

And on 30km a day - break that down into hours and minutes - minus the breaks (the legal granting of which must drive Jeff Bezos nuts) and other interruptions.
Moving among massive lanes of shelving, trying to find stuff, and get it from the top shelves ... you want to maintain that pace all day? And for fuck-all wages?

While Jeff is "worth" $150 bn (noone's labour - intellectual or otherwise - is worth that much) and won't give you a lousy $1 an hour pay rise?

I have a PhD and don't earn much more than what is minimum wage in America, I have a car, I spend ten percent of my salary on medical aid. No I wouldn't want to raise a family on my current salary, Id have to make serious sacrifices and that is one reason I don't. Now many people in my situation do have familis, they eat out less, don't go to movies, spend less money on games and save less. One of the reasons I want to move to America, besides for my country being unstable is that my salary should double at any entry lvl position I can find in America.

As I said I walk 7.5 km a day without even trying. Walking four times that, when its your job to walk, seems to me to be a reasonable goal. Its a pace of 4 km/h, which is slower than a typical walking pace. Now I don't know how much time is wasted looking for the item or what have you but it just doesn't seem to me to rise to the level of criminal exploitation. Id be happy to agree though that many cold, flus etc that I would normally go to work with would now probably be seriously debilating if my job was to walk 30 km a day. I would think some Segway like machines for the work force might improve efficiency but I imagine amazon has looked into it and found it not practical for whatever reason.

The lack of leave for vacations, the lack of security for maternity leave or paternity leave strike me as problems in American labour law. The legality of fire at will strikes me as a problem. Being paid 15 $ an hour to smile doesn't.

As for Jeff Bezos, I agree no one needs 80 billion dollars. The man lost more money in a divorce than some African countries make in a yeat. However he built amazon and it employs hundreds of thousands. I don't necessarily believe he has to be somehow punished for the workers in amazon to have a better life. Why do such men, with more money they can spend feel the need to keep working and earning more I couldn't say but its their choice. Abigail Disney complaisn that Bob iger made 66 million in 2018. If you divided his salry equally among the 201 000 Disney staff they would each have made an extra 330 dollars before tax, not insignificant but not life altering. His salary in 2018 was also bloated due to a once off bonus of a large chunk if Disney stock.

I'm also not an economist and don't have a good grasp of the theory Ill only mention I know it exists, the idea of wage push inflation. Higher wages, in the form of a minimum wage for the lowest employees, leads to higher inflation of goods as the system seeks to return to equilibrium.

In any case I never meant this to be a conversation of income ineqalty between workers and management. I was just generally surprised by the my lack of sympathy for these two stories which both clearly take my sympathy for granted. As I say maybe its just my local perspective is different. I could find 10 000 south Africans by tomorrow who would gladly fly to the US to work 12 hour shifts for ten dollars an hour in an amazon warehouse and would be greatful for the opportunity.

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

Just because there are worse conditions in the world, doesn't invalidate the complaints of the ones affected.

You are moving to America for a better opportunity (though I think you'll find your double salary doesn't go much further once cost of living is factored in), and you say there are 10,000 South Africans who would do the same job for less? What job do they have now?
Because I can guarantee, no matter what it is, even if it is unemployment, I can find 10,000 people elsewhere who would rather be in there shoes. Maybe some people from the Congo, or North Korea, or maybe some kid in America who can't move and is wracked by constant pain due to some incurable illness.

These stories are not a competition. They are not "we have it worse than you". They aren't meant to belittle other people's suffering. It's not, after all, a zero sum game.
These Amazon workers can be overworked and underpaid and struggling to get by, AND there can be people enslaved by ISIS in Syria who are suffering more. They're not mutually exclusive, and the fact of one does not invalidate or lessen the fact of the other.

You seem to be trying to make an absolute value comparison when that is not the intent nor the point. It is a *relative* comparison and doesn't need to be swept aside because someone else, somewhere, has it worse. To make that argument would be akin to claiming we don't need to deal with child labour abuses because somewhere else, someone is being literally tortured.

I also think you're trying to intellectualise and pick apart an experience. It's not that simple. The effect of the whole situation is greater than the sum of its parts. The argument that walking 30km a day may not be that hard is 1) an assumption and 2) taken in isolation. Aside from the fact you admit the last time you did something similar you had sore feet, imagine doing that in shoes that don't fit right (Because you can't afford to buy good ones, or at least not as frequently as they'd wear out from constant 30km trips), or doing that then having to walk home another 15km because you can't afford a car. Hell, imagine doing that while needing to go to the toilet.

As for the claim that raising the minimum wage causes inflation, this is true. What isn't mentioned though is that the increase of the cost of living is normally LESS than increased cash in hand for most workers and - more importantly - is not necessary. Most of these businesses have sufficient profit margins that they could absorb any such increase without increasing the cost of their products. They don't, however, because they want all the profit, and don't care for the broader economy (a short-sighted view I'll get into more in a moment). It is artificial inflation, not necessary.
As for Amazon creating jobs....sure, it created like 60,000 jobs in the country when it started. But it also cost millions of jobs, by driving out smaller businesses due to lower prices. The rise of Amazon was a net job loss for the US, and remains so today. It funneled a diversified income across millions onto the hands of a fraction of the work force, who didn't get paid more - so guess where all that extra income went? To like 5 people who got very, very rich.

It is the same problem as all automation. Every company wants to automate as much as possible, cut jobs, and therefore make profits.
Here's the problem though. Every company is doing this...so if they keep cutting employees, who is going to buy their products? Nobody. Because those people won't have any money to do so without a job.
This is why all companies are inherently damaging their own long term survivability once they focus on growing profits without growing employment and wages. They are reducing the size of their customers' disposable income! The tipping point is usually once a company is no longer able to grow their market share. This is why banks are among the first to do stupid things (you know, like cause the GFC) - banks are effectively always at 100% market share since everyone needs a bank account and there is only so much room for competitive pricing to steal your competitors customers. So at first you try to be more efficient, do things faster so you can do more. Then you run out of ways to increase speed. Then the only options left end up being to cut staff (an artificial profit bump as long term you either need to rehire due to volume management issues or staff burnout for those who remain, or even longer term you run into a collapsing economy as consumer spending decreases due to the factors mentioned previously) or start defrauding people.

At the end of the day you either get why these people are complaining, or you buy into a system that wants to profit at your expense. :p just remember that it's not about who has it worst, it's about whether there is a problem with the current situation, and how to fix it. You can, after all, have sympathy for more than the most wretched life on earth. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:09 PM

I'm not out to take away rights from workers. I'm not a billionaire so I think anything that benefits the working class benefits me too. I'm a huge fan of John Oliver and normally agree with him on most of his points on his show. The episode on Amazon however just had me repeatedly thinking their are worse things. I acknowledge that life in America is different than life in in SA but is earning minimum wage, having some kind of company benefits (I cant remember amazon but Disney does have healthcare for workers) really such a terrible life?

Perhaps I should be asking is earning federal minimum wage, which is 2 dollars more than Californian minimum wage to start still somehow living below the bread line?

I agree that someone always has it worse but that wasn't the reason I didn't care for their plight, I just generally didn't come away feeling like they had it so hard.

This post has been edited by Cause: 17 July 2019 - 03:16 PM

#7 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

I'll just say this; If you have to work two jobs just to make ends meet for you and your family, then you're not being paid enough!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostCause, on 17 July 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

I'm not out to take away rights from workers. I'm not a billionaire so I think anything that benefits the working class benefits me too. I'm a huge fan of John Oliver and normally agree with him on most of his points on his show. The episode on Amazon however just had me repeatedly thinking their are worse things. I acknowledge that life in America is different than life in in SA but is earning minimum wage, having some kind of company benefits (I cant remember amazon but Disney does have healthcare for workers) really such a terrible life?

Perhaps I should be asking is earning federal minimum wage, which is 2 dollars more than Californian minimum wage to start still somehow living below the bread line?

I agree that someone always has it worse but that wasn't the reason I didn't care for their plight, I just generally didn't come away feeling like they had it so hard.

The answer is yes. Minimum wage is below the bread line. It isn't possible to live on one job on minimum wage. It might not be possible to live on two jobs on minimum wage. Much less try to move ahead. Between rent and health care most people have only 30 to 40 percent of their salary to pay other bills on for the rest of the month. Add in car payments ( you have to have a car in the majority of america) and now you have less then 20% of your salary to eat off of. Food is not cheap. Any medical issues even with insurance and now you are looking at a black hole. A car repair and you are looking at a black hole. There is no margin for error. No margin for the odd things that life throws at you. People should not be slaves and companies that are worth billions should not pay their employees so little that the employees are barely surviving. That does nothing more then turn the employees into company slaves. Unable to leave their job but not able to make enough to better themselves. They can't take a vacation because they can't afford it. They can't have kids, because they can't afford it. They can't get married because they can't afford it. But the company is making billions.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#9 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

Look, if you are working full time, 40h a week, no matter whether you are walking 30km a day or sitting at a desk until your ass feel numb, and you still can't cover your basic living expenses (and ideally put a little bit away for emergencies, but that's ideally), it means you are not earning enough, no matter whether your pay is 1.5$ or 15$ an hour. There is no working harder or any such bullshit American dream nonsense caveat. If the cost of living in your country is so high that minimum wage does not cover basic living expenses on a full time job, it means minimum wage is not high enough, even if in abstract it looks like a dream from half a world away because half a world away the living expenses are significantly lower.

Here's a nice example for you: my brother has a PhD and works in research. In Ukraine, he earns minimum wage because fuck research, right? He basically only stays because earning the same somewhere else while doing a job he hates would suck even more. That minimum wage is 4173UAH per month (~1000UAH per week), which just barely covers his living expenses, but only because he owns the house he lives in and doesn't have to pay rent AND he has no family to care for. 4173AUH is ~160$ and ~110Euro. Per month. Here in Germany, 110Euro doesn't even cover half of our monthly utility bills. The minimum wage in Germany is 9.19Euro per hour or ~1500Euro per month (~375Euro per week). This is considered to barely cover the standard basic expenses. Do you really think these two are comparable?

There is also the matter of basic human decency. If you can't even slip a toilette break into your workday because you're under so much pressure, that's not acceptable, no matter how much you make at the end of the month.

This post has been edited by Puck: 17 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#10 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:40 AM

View PostCause, on 17 July 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

As for Jeff Bezos, I agree no one needs 80 billion dollars. The man lost more money in a divorce than some African countries make in a yeat. However he built amazon and it employs hundreds of thousands. I don't necessarily believe he has to be somehow punished for the workers in amazon to have a better life.

A few points here:

1. Bezos may have built Amazon. However, a huge portion of Amazon's value just comes from monetizing a resource that they were given more-or-less freely. The internet is an innovation that far outstrips "hey, I can put a shop on that". Indeed, I would argue that the network effect inherent to the internet basically underlies most of the value of most big internet companies. Their value is largely that lots of people use them because they are the first mover and then own the 'marketplace' where lots of people meet. There is some value to having a shared meeting point, but monetizing the network effect is not actually adding value as such. In fact, it is economically inefficient to monetise the marketplace (since this raises transaction costs and thus friction).

2. Amazon employs thousands of people, but do you think it has created more jobs than it has killed? More pertinently, do you think it has created better jobs than it has killed? Replacing independent bookseller jobs with warehouse jobs is bad for the overall quality of jobs in the economy, and indeed bad for the economy as a whole. The former spread the wealth amongst a larger number of local merchants, who move money around the economy more actively. The latter concentrate wealth up to the very top, where it tends to stagnate more.

3. He basically has to lose money for his workers to gain it within Amazon's basic business model. Certainly there are cases where companies can pay people at every level better - for example when they change to a higher-skill strategy and grow - but Amazon's basic model involves a lot of menial labour.

Looking at the wider economic sense, the global mega-rich have captured an increasing amount of economic growth over the last decades. You may have seen the so-called 'elephant curve'.

Attached File  elephant.png (50.54K)
Number of downloads: 0

The distribution of wealth - the accumulation of this income inequality - is far worse of course. For a given amount of growth, distributing more to the poor requires giving less to the rich. Furthermore, letting the rich hold so much is economically inefficient and results in less growth overall.

View PostCause, on 17 July 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'm also not an economist and don't have a good grasp of the theory Ill only mention I know it exists, the idea of wage push inflation. Higher wages, in the form of a minimum wage for the lowest employees, leads to higher inflation of goods as the system seeks to return to equilibrium.

I think it's useful to consider this idea beyond the more abstract 'system returning to equilibium' phrasing. Why would wages push inflation? The basic idea is pretty intuitive.

Wages rise. This means that the cost of production for companies rise.
Companies want to maintain their profit margin.
To do so, they raise prices (which people can afford due to their wages being nominally higher).

So now we can see some pretty important caveats.

1. Raising wages for Amazon workers is not the same as raising wages across the whole economy. Raising Amazon's cost of labour might raise Amazon's prices but it doesn't mean prices will rise across the whole economy. Furthermore, if we hypothesise that Amazon exists within competitive constraints - meaning by raising prices they lose customers - it may not be simple for them to raise prices if their competitors do not also need to do so.

2. Companies want to maintain their profit margin, but they don't necessarily need to do so. It isn't a strict constraint unless they're operating in a perfectly competitive environment. Economists often make this assumption which can make the transmission of wages to prices seem like an immutable law (because in total competition - where prices are as low as possible - companies can't give up profits because they don't make any). In reality, companies make plenty of profit. This means there is space for companies to reduce profits instead of raising prices. Plenty of factors play into where companies can place their profit margin, including the bargaining power of the workers. If we improve wages by improving bargaining power then the company may be pushed to to distribute more of the profits to the workers rather than passing on costs to consumers.

3. If you're assuming that prices and wages essentially 'balance out' at some given level anyway, then it doesn't matter that the wages are higher in the US than in SA - because the prices will balance them out. Clearly this isn't the case and some equilibrium positions are preferable to others.

(While I've engaged with the idea on face value it's also worth point out that the empirical literature on wage-push inflation is not conclusive. Although the idea is intuitive, there isn't a consensus that it's accurate. It's equally intuitive to suggest that companies seek profit, which pushes prices up, which pressures workers to push for higher wages... i.e, that the mechanism works the other way around entirely. This is also putting aside issues such as inflation expectations and monetary policy.)

View PostSilencer, on 17 July 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

It is the same problem as all automation. Every company wants to automate as much as possible, cut jobs, and therefore make profits.
Here's the problem though. Every company is doing this...so if they keep cutting employees, who is going to buy their products? Nobody. Because those people won't have any money to do so without a job.
This is why all companies are inherently damaging their own long term survivability once they focus on growing profits without growing employment and wages. They are reducing the size of their customers' disposable income! The tipping point is usually once a company is no longer able to grow their market share. This is why banks are among the first to do stupid things (you know, like cause the GFC) - banks are effectively always at 100% market share since everyone needs a bank account and there is only so much room for competitive pricing to steal your competitors customers. So at first you try to be more efficient, do things faster so you can do more. Then you run out of ways to increase speed. Then the only options left end up being to cut staff (an artificial profit bump as long term you either need to rehire due to volume management issues or staff burnout for those who remain, or even longer term you run into a collapsing economy as consumer spending decreases due to the factors mentioned previously) or start defrauding people.

For automation the point only fully hits once humans can't contribute useful labour to receive pay. Certain companies might rather that people have money just to buy products, but being a pure consumer isn't exactly economically productive either. The economic model may need an overhaul but I'm not sure that is the desirable direction.

Also banks compete on far more than bank account pricing and this doesn't account for the side where banks make their profits, where there is plenty of scope for competition. The considerable variety in how profitable banks are is explained by much more than just how many staff they've cut. Indeed, the ECB notes that digitalisation does not only present cost-saving opportunities.

From a systemic point of view, recent empirical evidence suggests that a higher reliance on digitalised forms of providing financial services may also result in more contestable retail banking markets, as it becomes easier for bank customers to shop around and compare bank products and prices. While this may have a positive impact on the sector’s overall efficiency and lead to enhanced product transparency for bank customers, it could also have a first-order negative effect on profitability via reduced margins.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#11 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:16 AM

On a related point, I was reading recently about trends in social solidarity. The authors argued convincingly that more and more weight is being placed on the distinction between 'deserving' and 'undeserving' recipients of welfare; increasingly, our societies reserve pity for the welfare recipients who 'did nothing to deserve it' (such as children or the disabled) and demonise the others.

This shift strongly hits the unemployed or precariously employed (or 'lazy scroungers'). The effect is quantifiable. In Europe, welfare spending for working-age families (family/child benefits, housing benefits, unemployment support etc) has grown at less than half the rate of welfare spending for old age, healthcare, and disabilities. I say "grown" in nominal terms since of course the whole system has been under tremendous pressure. It is interesting to see where our societies are placing their priorities though. I must say that it strikes me as one part of a pervasive neo-liberal or individualistic philosophy.

Naturally there are many issues we can take with this, starting from the fact that we deliberately aim for a certain level of unemployment...

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#12 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

Here's another interesting (but long) article about upward mobility, economics, data and oh, LOTS of things. About a dude named Raj Chetty, a professor of economics.

Of particular note, a coincidental (or not, maybe) similarity between a map of slave ownership distribution 200 years ago and areas with low upward mobility now.

https://www.theatlan...n-dream/592804/

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

https://edition.cnn....yees/index.html

Okay so I found this. Senetor is grilling a JP chase ceo about what he thinks about the fact that his employees cant afford to live on the entry salary of 16.50 an hour. She show sus her maths 1600 on an apartment, 400 on groceries, 500 on childcare. Lots seems to be missing but maybe it was rolled into the apartment cost I am not sure. I mean insurance etc.

Okay my first thought on looking at this though, again, is not how hard this hypothetical single mother has it but that she should reduce her rent by 500 dollars. Now supposedly 1600 dollars for a one bedroom apartment is on the low end of Irving? There has got to be an option that's cheaper than 1600 a month. Insanse. 150$ on gas? Gas is cheaper in America than in SA and dare I say that Texas is probably cheaper than most states? This women spends more than double on gas than what I do.

Now she is not real, these are hypothetical numbers which makes making suggestions or doing a deep dive on the numbers impossible but even with cost of living differences I am struggling to imagine that you cant live on 15$ an hour. Now if you tell me its true I have to believe you because you will know best. The cost of living differences I also think are not as extreme as you think:

Petrol - USA=0.89c SA=1.15 per litre
Article showing groceries are cheaper in the UK than in SA
https://www.thesouth...ve-than-the-uk/

Now our rent is cheaper that's true, our electronics are much more expensive (not a big worry for the poor I guess). It takes an americn on minimum wage about 6-7 days to earn an iPhone, it take a south African 6-7 weeks, which is why most will never own one.

I recently saw a comic panel on 9gag when after bying area 51 from the US government, Iron man explains to Capt America 'my broke isn't the same as your broke'. I think the world should be more like the US than SA but I cant help but think that their is some room for belt tightening.

Also anecdotally, I realise that doesn't mean much, my experience of American tourists, exchange students etc is they have an unhealthy attitude to and reliance on credit

#14 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostCause, on 22 July 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

https://edition.cnn....yees/index.html

Okay so I found this. Senetor is grilling a JP chase ceo about what he thinks about the fact that his employees cant afford to live on the entry salary of 16.50 an hour. She show sus her maths 1600 on an apartment, 400 on groceries, 500 on childcare. Lots seems to be missing but maybe it was rolled into the apartment cost I am not sure. I mean insurance etc.

Okay my first thought on looking at this though, again, is not how hard this hypothetical single mother has it but that she should reduce her rent by 500 dollars. Now supposedly 1600 dollars for a one bedroom apartment is on the low end of Irving? There has got to be an option that's cheaper than 1600 a month. Insanse. 150$ on gas? Gas is cheaper in America than in SA and dare I say that Texas is probably cheaper than most states? This women spends more than double on gas than what I do.

Now she is not real, these are hypothetical numbers which makes making suggestions or doing a deep dive on the numbers impossible but even with cost of living differences I am struggling to imagine that you cant live on 15$ an hour. Now if you tell me its true I have to believe you because you will know best. The cost of living differences I also think are not as extreme as you think:

Petrol - USA=0.89c SA=1.15 per litre
Article showing groceries are cheaper in the UK than in SA
https://www.thesouth...ve-than-the-uk/

Now our rent is cheaper that's true, our electronics are much more expensive (not a big worry for the poor I guess). It takes an americn on minimum wage about 6-7 days to earn an iPhone, it take a south African 6-7 weeks, which is why most will never own one.

I recently saw a comic panel on 9gag when after bying area 51 from the US government, Iron man explains to Capt America 'my broke isn't the same as your broke'. I think the world should be more like the US than SA but I cant help but think that their is some room for belt tightening.

Also anecdotally, I realise that doesn't mean much, my experience of American tourists, exchange students etc is they have an unhealthy attitude to and reliance on credit

That reliance on credit is in large part due to their inability to afford things on minimum wage.

For context, here in Australia, the minimum wage is actually very strong. $18 per hour is the youth rate, and it's actually regulated per industry as well, so the tech minimum is X and the finance minimum is Y.
As someone who assesses applications for credit let me tell you, with certainly, the minimum wage is not enough to afford basic expenses. The minimum rent we will consider is way lower than 1600/month and the Household Expenditure Measure is a constantly updated low-end average of the cost of living. The old, lower, version of HEM plus rent leaves $0 after tax on m minimum wage. And let me tell you, actual cost of living for most people, not including luxuries, is much higher than the HEM.

If you think we are all exaggerating and the cost of living in the USA is lower than minimum wage, you're gonna be in for a nasty surprise.
It's the same problem everywhere. Companies *cannot* make multi-billion dollar profits year on year while also not putting their employees below the bread line. It is financially not possible. There is not that much surplus wealth in the economy, especially when you factor in that millionaires hoard their money, they don't spend it at your local clothing store at a commensurate rate to their income.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#15 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

I'm afraid it is incredibly difficult to make any judgements or assumptions based just on the flat income/outcome review, especially if it is lacking this much detail. Firstly, the height of the rent will very much depend on the area. For instance, in the north of England you can probably rent a comfortable 4-bedroom semi-detached house for less each month than you'd pay for a tiny (broom cupboard) studio flat in central London. But at the same time, most of the available jobs will be in the London area. So to get and hold a job, or perhaps to have easy and close access to family who can help out with childcare (babysitting etc), you may be forced to focus on the higher-end rental places. Because childcare here in the UK tends to cost more on a weekly basis than rental cost on a monthly basis. It is stiffling. This example is of someone with kids, so these are very relevant and important considerations. On top of that you have to pay for your commute. The further out you live from work, the cheaper your rent might be but also the more expensive your travel. With gas etc, bear in mind that in SA you probably have a lot less gas needed on keeping your house warm (I simplistically assume that on average the temperatures are a fair bit higher, even in winter time). Plus even having a single kid in your house makes such cost sky-rocket: more cooking, more washing, more open doors and general waste that is difficult to control. So the fact that they spend much more on gas is actually quite in line with expectations.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#16 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostSilencer, on 22 July 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

There is not that much surplus wealth in the economy, especially when you factor in that millionaires hoard their money, they don't spend it at your local clothing store at a commensurate rate to their income.

You're right, they don't. They spend it on obscene monuments to their own fragile egos. And who gets that money? Other rich bastards.

It's like a financial circle jerk.

Profit is the enemy of humanity.

#17 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostGorefest, on 22 July 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

I'm afraid it is incredibly difficult to make any judgements or assumptions based just on the flat income/outcome review, especially if it is lacking this much detail. Firstly, the height of the rent will very much depend on the area. For instance, in the north of England you can probably rent a comfortable 4-bedroom semi-detached house for less each month than you'd pay for a tiny (broom cupboard) studio flat in central London. But at the same time, most of the available jobs will be in the London area. So to get and hold a job, or perhaps to have easy and close access to family who can help out with childcare (babysitting etc), you may be forced to focus on the higher-end rental places. Because childcare here in the UK tends to cost more on a weekly basis than rental cost on a monthly basis. It is stiffling. This example is of someone with kids, so these are very relevant and important considerations. On top of that you have to pay for your commute. The further out you live from work, the cheaper your rent might be but also the more expensive your travel. With gas etc, bear in mind that in SA you probably have a lot less gas needed on keeping your house warm (I simplistically assume that on average the temperatures are a fair bit higher, even in winter time). Plus even having a single kid in your house makes such cost sky-rocket: more cooking, more washing, more open doors and general waste that is difficult to control. So the fact that they spend much more on gas is actually quite in line with expectations.

I thought the gas here meant only gas/petrol for a car?

View PostTsundoku, on 22 July 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 22 July 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

There is not that much surplus wealth in the economy, especially when you factor in that millionaires hoard their money, they don't spend it at your local clothing store at a commensurate rate to their income.

You're right, they don't. They spend it on obscene monuments to their own fragile egos. And who gets that money? Other rich bastards.

It's like a financial circle jerk.

Profit is the enemy of humanity.

Yeah this is something I often think of, stuffing your money in your mattress removes it from the economy entirely. At least with Billionaires the money is either not liquid (its the value of their company) or invested in shares, bonds something etc. Still a human being cant spend 2 billion dollars never mind 80 so it does seem a shame they don't spend more. That said I feel like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet giving away their wealth is not going to work out as well as they think. I think it will end up being inefficient if not often end up creating perverse incentives.

I think its a good thing we have inheritance tax (without it we would be ruled by the plutarchs eventually), I don't like the idea of a wealth tax though (unless it only starts at an extremely high number, much higher than most often proposed).

I once toyed with the idea in my head that past a certaina mount of wealth, even if its as high as a billion you should have to create a trust and be forced to share it. Its not a tax, the governments not taking it from you but you should have you to pick someone, a wife, brother, child, friend etc who now shares it with you. Not a hundred percent sure, I'm not an economist but Id think a family of ten 100 millionaires would be better than one billionaire.

This post has been edited by Cause: 22 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

#18 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 21 July 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Here's another interesting (but long) article about upward mobility, economics, data and oh, LOTS of things. About a dude named Raj Chetty, a professor of economics.

Of particular note, a coincidental (or not, maybe) similarity between a map of slave ownership distribution 200 years ago and areas with low upward mobility now.

It is a good article but something that I found strange with it is that they seem to assume that uppward mobility is possible for everyone. Sure more opportunity would likely be created but competition would also stiffen for the good jobs making for a comptency and education inflation with good positions likely getting increasingly high requirements.

This post has been edited by Chance: 22 July 2019 - 01:11 PM

#19 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:28 PM

View PostChance, on 22 July 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 21 July 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

It is a good article but something that I found strange with it is that they seem to assume that uppward mobility is possible for everyone. Sure more opportunity would likely be created but competition would also stiffen for the good jobs making for a comptency and education inflation with good positions likely getting increasingly high requirements.

I think the problem is that money is essentially a symbol of time and its worth. Untill we live in a post-scarcity utopia like Bank's Culture its not possible for everyone to be at the top. There will come a point where for someone to move up, someone will need to move down unless automation, recycling and new sources of resources are found. I know some people hate this idea but I do think we need to make sure that life for those at the bottom is decent/good and better than it was in the past than we need to strive for a world where we are all in the middle. Though I think we can make the tower shorter, the people at the very top don't need to be that high, but I don't know how to shorten the tower without upending the foundation its built on.

#20 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

Okay so by pure chance I came across a video on youtube which was an interview with an author Juliet B. Schor who wrote the overspent American. Now I don't know how well respected she is, her Wikipedia page shows what loos like a good career but information was light. Now the book is about 20 years old, 1999 but I think some of her points align with what I think I see today

Still lets discuss some of her points.

1) Now as the title of the book might indicate she seems to think Americans are overspent, one of the primary problems they have is not that they don't earn enough but they spend to much. Over 50% of all americans feel they don't earn enough to meet their basic needs, however even with those who earn 100k dollars a year, 25% still feel they don't earn enough to meet their basic needs. She argues that americans are constantly chasing a higher standard of living. She speaks about 'keeping uo with the jonses' but she points out that used to mean keeping up with your neighbourhood, people in a similar social class and similar earnings. With social media, TV, etc she points out that people are trying to keep up with the affluent lifestyles of the rich and famous. The average size of a house is getting bigger even as people complain they cant afford them. People are buying brand clothing and shoes at a higher price for the same quality.

I realize that some debt is good debt and very necessary. A home mortgage falls in this category. very few if any people can ever just buy a home outright for cash. However today ou can buy your cellphone, laptop and even your clothes on credit. If you cant afford to put down the full price of an iPhone 10 today paying it off over 24 months hoping no financial emergencies happen is probably a very risky and stupid thing to do. However thousands if not millions of people are doing just that.

2) One of her points I really liked because its something I think about too and was even considering a discussion about it but I don't want to drop ten at once. TV seems to be a powerfull influencer of human behavior, morality and culture. Lets focuss on finance though. She specifically mentioned Friends, which I thought was great because I have had the excact realization she talks about. I love friends, and I came to the Friends party late. I think I was in honours or masters when I first watched it, so I was 21 0r 22 years old and have since rewatched it several times. The first time I watched it I just enjoyed the humour and didn't think too much of it. As I got older I started to notice certain things. The show starts with them all around 25 years old and ends with them around 35 ten years or later or so. Despite money and the lack of it sometimes being a source of the comedy no one in the show ever really suffers. They are constantly having coffee during the middle of the day without a care in the world. This is played for a joke in one episode where they all discuss how their bosses dont't seem to like them and Phoebe says maybe becyase your all here drinking coffee at 3 in the afternoon. Still before the show ends Ross becomes a tenured professor, before 35! That's basically a miracle. Chandler seems to make so much money that he doesn't seem to mind paying his roomates half of the rent plus various other things like acting classes, headshots and food. Rachel works as a waitress and is used to being supported by her rich father but despite the jokes doesn't seem to suffer a huge loss in lifestyle. She lives in a beautifully massive apartment in NY city, now we are constantly told its rent controlled but this apartment is massive. Ross's apartment is equally beutifull and big. Now this is not suprising, its a TV show, the set needs to be big to provide the actors room to perform their craft, it wont make good tv if Rachel has to tell the other friends she cant come with them on their beach weekend because money is tight. It distorts our perception of what kind of lifestyle we could be living on similar salaries at a similar age. At 22 I didn't really notice at 32 I look at friends and realize just how unrealistic me affording those apartments in NYC, having that much free time would be.

Friends is not unique. How I met your mother has a bunch of 20 somethings living in new York, one of the characters Marshal is a student who at one point says he makes negative 200 dollars a week or some such during one epsidoe and yet he still lives with his friend in a NY apartment, eating out and going to the downstairs bar every week. Despite his wife Lilly being a shopaholic with massive debt she cant pay and despite buying a mortgage he cant afford none of these problems are ever actually that serious, they just good for a few laughs. Crippling life long debt payments doesn't do anything to hurt their lives.

Now the author cites surveys that prove that people who watch more TV were more likely to feel like they were not earning enough and they needed to buy more things.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users