• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2019 International Cricket World Cup

#1 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

My buddy has had me watching Cricket with him for the last few weeks, and though I still only half understand what is happening most of the time, I've been getting pretty into it!

We're cheering for India, but today's beatdown of New Zealand by the English team was astounding! So far England is the only team to beat India, though the India vs NZ game was rained out so who knows how that could/would have went. It's looking like semis will be India, England, Australia and NZ - hoping for an India vs England finals here!

Anyone else watching?

This post has been edited by Blend: 03 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#2 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

Bit difficult here, what with the games on at stupid o'clock and most are on cable/streaming options we don't have. Greedy shits. :headbang:

Quietly hopeful for Australia, but the thing about limited over cricket is often there can be just one or two bad overs between victory and defeat.

Nice to see you're taking an interest though. Enjoying it?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

I actually went to the England vs NZ game, was a great game of cricket, thought we had tossed it away when we were losing wickets towards the end of the innings but we skittled NZ out...

Best thing about the England games is getting to watch/participate in the Barmy Army...

"EVERYWHERE WE GOOOOO...."

We also had Batman & Robin vs the Stewards that turned into a conga line which was led by Bertie Bassett... good fun!

They shall never take our beer snakes!!!!

If it's England/India semi then that'll be decided by the toss most likely... good to see us hitting form again though. Roll on the semis...

This post has been edited by champ: 04 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

Is this the 2-hour cricket or the 3-day cricket matches?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   champ 

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

This is the One Day International World Cup where games last between 6-8 hours. Each team gets 50 overs to bat/bowl (6 balls to an over).

For the other formats, there is Twenty20 where each team gets 20 overs. Lasts around 2-3 hours.

Test matches at the longest are 5 days though the format can be changed to play a 4 day game. Teams get to bat going through their full order - 11 players.

And that is the beginners guide to cricket formats...

They are even talking about a shorter format where the teams will get 100 balls only... trying to adapt to the mordern audience I guess.

This post has been edited by champ: 04 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

Tehol said:

#6 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 July 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

Nice to see you're taking an interest though. Enjoying it?

I mean, a large part of my interest certainly stems from watching Indians in cricket pants (Pandya and Bumrah FTW), but the more games I've watched, the more I understand, and the more I'm actually getting into it! The India/Bangladesh game from last Saturday had us on the edge of our seats, we were sure that Bangladesh were going to pull out a surprise victory (they only needed something like 30 balls in 15 overs, which is very doable, particularly when they had Shabbir, I think, hitting 4s almost constantly - he had something like 92 over 60) but then Bumrah wicketed their last two batters almost one right after the other.

So yes, I'm definitely enjoying it, and not just cause of hot Indian men in cricket pants. :headbang:
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#7 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostD, on 04 July 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Is this the 2-hour cricket or the 3-day cricket matches?

As Cause noted, it's 6-8 hour games for the ICC, but they start at 5.30am here, so I've only been catching the second half of most of the games I've watched, which is fine, cause it's cricket.

#8 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

India/NZ semi-final today.

NZ managed to score only 211. Game is currently rained out, but 211 should be easy for India to beat, they've been playing 300+ games throughout this tournament.

INDIA!!!!

#9 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

And the winner is ... English weather!

Good thing they have a backup day. If it doesn't get rained out too.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

Come on NZ, it's yours to lose. Line and length, dry the runs up, get Jadeja out. Jadeja and Dhoni are treating it like the second half of a T20 and you're playing into their hands!

EDIT: Oh FFS - bowl yorkers around off stump all the time! Switch the pace up, and stack the off side field, plus the inner leg side in front of the bat. It's not rocket science! Don't let those bastards steal this one! You're not South Africa - so don't choke!

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

#11 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

Oh thank goodness. When Jadeja went that was game over.

So the final will be NZ v ? Well, I'm hoping Australia, but our history at Edgbaston isn't good, and you can bet the pitch will be prepared to suit England's current thrashing machine style - consistent true bounce, no variation, nothing in it for the bowlers, no turn, small boundaries.

But if they prepare a green top ... we have some pretty decent quicks as well, remember.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

#12 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

Dear God, absolutely pathetic start by us against some good - but not THAT good bowling. 2/10 almost 3/10.

Going to be a Pommy win here unless our middle order stand up. Fingers crossed but not bloody likely considering we've been relying on great starts by Warner and Finch.

#13 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 11 July 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Dear God, absolutely pathetic start by us against some good - but not THAT good bowling. 2/10 almost 3/10.

Going to be a Pommy win here unless our middle order stand up. Fingers crossed but not bloody likely considering we've been relying on great starts by Warner and Finch.

Looked like it should have been 3.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#14 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

Yeah well, it is now. Don't know why they put Handscomb in instead of Wade who has been doing really well for a year, and especially in the Australia A side matches in England lately.

Unless the rest of our middle order do well and bowlers do just as well early it looks like England is going through. :headbang:

#15 User is offline   champ 

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

Handscomb is not a ODI player...

We needed to break that partnership - Smith and Carey...got SkyGO on my phone hidden under my monitor at work pretending to do work!

Starc will be good on this pitch...

Tehol said:

#16 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

You got your wish. It's 6 down now with the soft dismissal of Maxwell. Game over man.

What a shit show. This is so disappointing. And to England, of all teams. :headbang:

At least they have a couple of actual English players in the side this time round. :headbang:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 11 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

How come the outer boundary they want to hit it over is just a bunch of little cones? Isn't this the World Cup Final?!

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#18 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

Second semi-final.

Boundaries were brought in from the fence years ago to stop fielders running into it. :p

As to why they're using cones ... no idea sorry. Usually it's a rope, which is sometimes covered with padding. Seems to be that way round most of the boundary here.

EDIT: Poms 0/40 in 9th over ... yeah we've lost big time as we needed to get early wickets to give ourselves any chance. Should be over soon. Fuck this, I'm going to bed.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 11 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

Yeah I can definitely see why a fence or wall would be a bad idea! But I expected something fancier than dollar store cones. A rope seems better than the cones, but is a painted line really that hard to make?!

#20 User is offline   champ 

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 11 July 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

You got your wish. It's 6 down now with the soft dismissal of Maxwell. Game over man.

What a shit show. This is so disappointing. And to England, of all teams. :p

At least they have a couple of actual English players in the side this time round. :p

I think both teams will be happy with that innings, mainly for the Aussies after how they started, to get over 200 is a decent effort though should have hit 250 easy. Tossed the end away.

Typical Aussies, when it starts going against them outcomes the petty Posted Image

View PostD, on 11 July 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

How come the outer boundary they want to hit it over is just a bunch of little cones? Isn't this the World Cup Final?!

They've got the rope around the ground for the boundary? They sometimes use little cones to mark the Power Play positions.

Also semi-final. Final is on Sunday!

View PostD, on 11 July 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Yeah I can definitely see why a fence or wall would be a bad idea! But I expected something fancier than dollar store cones. A rope seems better than the cones, but is a painted line really that hard to make?!

They don't use painted lines as the boundaries can be moved for different competitions.

I hope you are taking all this in, there will be an exam!

This post has been edited by champ: 11 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

Tehol said:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users