• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 Game 4B - Signup/Setup Thread

#1 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:15 PM

It should be noted that if anyone who hasn't yet played any games is interested in playing, we have 2 players signed up for both game 4s at the moment, so space can be made in either this game or the other one for up to 2 more players (more if we group new people up with experienced players). If you're interested in playing, please don't hesitate to post in either of the game 4 signup/setup threads!

This will be the game that I (Blend) am running.

6 player game, 8 standard strategy cards, 11 points, and for the fun of it, we'll use the Rich_Early Bird map from here! Look under the spoiler tags for a high resolution image of the map.

Spoiler

All factions will be in game. When we get to the faction selection phase, we will choose them and starting locations like we did last game. I'll randomize the player list to create a table order. First player chooses either race, starting location or speaker token, then 2nd and so on until we reach the end, then last player will choose whichever they haven't chosen yet and we go back to the start. If only the Speaker token is left at the end, then it goes to a random player, otherwise whatever is left goes to whichever player chose the speaker token.

Players:

1. Gnaw
2. Twelve
3. Drek
4. IH
5. Morgoth
6. Khell

If anyone has any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask!

Initiative Order for selection phase is as follows:

1. Morgoth - Starting Position # 3; Yin
2. Gnaw - Starting Position # 5; Yssaril
3. Twelve - Starting Position # 6; Saar
4. IH - Speaker Token; Starting Position # 4; Letnev
5. Khell - Starting Position # 1; Naalu
6. Drek - Starting Position # 2; Sol

This post has been edited by Galactic Council: 27 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

Yup, if there's any new players wanting to give this a try I will happily give up my seat in one of the games (and can even help you through starting the game via PM, too)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostD, on 24 June 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

Yup, if there's any new players wanting to give this a try I will happily give up my seat in one of the games (and can even help you through starting the game via PM, too)

Ditto
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#4 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:37 AM

Map under the spoiler tag in the OP is now the high resolution version!

I figure we'll leave 'signups' open for the rest of the week and do our race/starting position locations over the weekend or next Monday if we can't get it done over the weekend!

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

I'm sure Mac would like to play, I asked him at least.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:27 AM

Sorry guys, I just don't have any time. and to be honest this game is way over the complication level of simple online games for me. I top out at diplomacy realistically

#7 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

well then.. Do we just start? :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

View PostGalactic Council, on 24 June 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

The map going to be exactly like you've shown or just the size and we place the planets? I ask because a couple of positions look really hampered from the start.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#9 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 25 June 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

The map going to be exactly like you've shown or just the size and we place the planets? I ask because a couple of positions look really hampered from the start.

Really? There isn't a starting position i wouldn't take there...

#10 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

It should be noted that if anyone who hasn't yet played any games is interested in playing, we have 2 players signed up for both game 4s at the moment, so space can be made in either this game or the other one for up to 2 more players (more if we group new people up with experienced players). If you're interested in playing, please don't hesitate to post in either of the game 4 signup/setup threads!

6 player game, 8 standard strategy cards, and for the fun of it, we'll use the Rich_Death Trap map from here! Look under the spoiler tags for an image of the map. Will add a bigger resolution version tonight when I get home and can build it on my home computer!

Spoiler

All factions will be in game. When we get to the faction selection phase, we will choose them and starting locations like we did last game. I'll randomize the player list to create a table order. First player chooses either race, starting location or speaker token, then 2nd and so on until we reach the end, then last player will choose whichever they haven't chosen yet and we go back to the start. If only the Speaker token is left at the end, then it goes to a random player, otherwise whatever is left goes to whichever player chose the speaker token.

Players:

1. Gnaw
2. Twelve
3. Drek
4. IH
5. Morgoth
6. Khell

What if the player who takes the speaker token has race left to pick? They just pick from what's left?

#11 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 25 June 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

So you would pick race first? There's no one position you'd prefer over others?

After looking properly they all have similar total resource value in their wedges.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#12 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 25 June 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

After looking properly they all have similar total resource value in their wedges.

These maps are meant to be very balanced and this map specifically is meant to be for experienced players. I figured it would interesting to give it a shot!

What is under the cut will be the map we play with in this game. Not sure what Gnaw is planning for his game, though he mentioned map building similarly to how we did last game. If you would prefer I am sure we can swap you over to his game?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#13 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 25 June 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

6 player game, 8 standard strategy cards, and for the fun of it, we'll use the Rich_Death Trap map from here! Look under the spoiler tags for an image of the map. Will add a bigger resolution version tonight when I get home and can build it on my home computer!

Spoiler

Players:

1. Gnaw
2. Twelve
3. Drek
4. IH
5. Morgoth
6. Khell

What if the player who takes the speaker token has race left to pick? They just pick from what's left?

Correct.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#14 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostBlend, on 25 June 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 25 June 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

These maps are meant to be very balanced and this map specifically is meant to be for experienced players. I figured it would interesting to give it a shot!

What is under the cut will be the map we play with in this game. Not sure what Gnaw is planning for his game, though he mentioned map building similarly to how we did last game. If you would prefer I am sure we can swap you over to his game?

Wait, you arent even in this game! So you had better check what Gnaw is doing. He may have different plans.

#15 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

Blend, that map isn't Rich Death Trap. It's Rich Early Bird (where the "richest systems" are in Ring 1 around MR and the only planets in hexes equidistant between two homeworlds are Quann and Lodor). Rich Death Trap is the one above that on your imgur link, where the "richest systems" are placed in Ring 2 at equidistant points between homeworlds.

Though neither of these maps look especially balanced to me. The creator seems to really undervalue influence versus resources. Look at the top left of Rich Death Trap versus bottom right - top-left gets 3 res next to the HW, and a 1/1 a step beyond that in their pie slice, while having to fight over 5r+4i to the sides; while bottom-right gets a safe 3r+6i immediately adjacent and then fights over 8r+3i to the sides. AND the bottom-right has more tech specialties.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#16 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

View PostD, on 25 June 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Blend, that map isn't Rich Death Trap. It's Rich Early Bird (where the "richest systems" are in Ring 1 around MR and the only planets in hexes equidistant between two homeworlds are Quann and Lodor). Rich Death Trap is the one above that on your imgur link, where the "richest systems" are placed in Ring 2 at equidistant points between homeworlds.

Though neither of these maps look especially balanced to me. The creator seems to really undervalue influence versus resources. Look at the top left of Rich Death Trap versus bottom right - top-left gets 3 res next to the HW, and a 1/1 a step beyond that in their pie slice, while having to fight over 5r+4i to the sides; while bottom-right gets a safe 3r+6i immediately adjacent and then fights over 8r+3i to the sides. AND the bottom-right has more tech specialties.

I was wondering why his numbers weren't lining up at all with the actual hexes when I was building the map!

To be honest, I had a cursory glance and it looked pretty balanced to me, plus there was a lot of positive comments in the reddit thread I found that in praising these maps, but I'm never really great at the nitty gritty details of figuring out if it's actually well balanced. Think I should just go to TI4 rules' 6 player map then?

#17 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

Though I see what you were saying about the Death Trap map, the more I look at the Early Bird map, the less unbalanced I see it as being. Sure, some people have easier access to more influence, but others have easier access to more resources, and still others have better tech specialties available.

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Early Bird is definitely better balanced than the Death Trap. Within the realm of "balanced by the players", whereas Death Trap is just grossly unequal. I can't see the first 4 players on either map choosing faction before seat or speaker, though.

#19 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

Alright, well, we'll just stick with the map that is currently under the cut for now. We'll see how things go!

#20 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

That looks good. A too balanced map encourages stagnation in my view. This one is going to encourage a more aggressive play-style I think

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users