• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Police at Pride Events

#41 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

It's pretty crappy to basically claim that LGBT people who seek out law enforcement as a career are doing so for non-altruistic reasons of wanting to help you know...enforce the law. And lumping them into the category of "You're police, and thus not to be trusted." when perhaps they felt like changing it from the inside out is important to any change that will happen. Ever watch Brooklyn 99? They dive right into this stuff often. It's worth a look even for a comedy fiction show.

I'm against police as they exist in the USA as an institution

So who do you call when you need law enforcement help? Curious.

I think that the current institution of police in the USA is unsalvagable.

Also I don't think you really understand what I'm saying. I'm talking about an existing institution, not the very idea of laws and enforcement of them.

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Oh I understand, I’m just not willing to turf and vilify an entire institution like that. Seems like a mistake to generalize about a large group of people...but what do I know?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2020 - 11:08 PM, said:

Oh I understand, I'm just not willing to turf and vilify an entire institution like that. Seems like a mistake to generalize about a large group of people...but what do I know?

Like Obdigore said, the full saying is "one bad apple will spoil the barrel."

As an institution (I don't think that individually every cop is horrible), I think the police in the USA are largely beyond being salvageable. They are a tool of the ruling class. At this point I don't think they can be fixed.

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

View PostKanese S, on 03 February 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

Oh I understand, I'm just not willing to turf and vilify an entire institution like that. Seems like a mistake to generalize about a large group of people...but what do I know?

As an institution (I don't think that individually every cop is horrible), I think the police in the USA are largely beyond being salvageable. They are a tool of the ruling class. At this point I don't think they can be fixed.

That's fine...I simply said I'm not willing to do the same. Seems like stereotyping to me. Shrug.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#45 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 February 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

That's fine...I simply said I'm not willing to do the same. Seems like stereotyping to me. Shrug.

No more than stereotyping Republican voters as reactionary (largely true), or Patriot Prayer and Proud Boys members as racist (also largely true) and gamergaters as misogynist (also largely true).

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

k.

#47 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

Kind of reminds me of the dumb skittles analogy Trump Jr was using to justify hatred of Muslims...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#48 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 February 2020 - 08:35 PM, said:

Kind of reminds me of the dumb skittles analogy Trump Jr was using to justify hatred of Muslims...

I guess the question is, Tiste, do you think that Police should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen?

In the US, police seem to be held to a lower standard. They get away with murdering kids, they get protected by other police, and if one ends up having to resign, they get hired in the next town over.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#49 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

Of course I think that and I live in a country where that is mostly the case thankfully.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#50 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

View PostObdigore, on 03 February 2020 - 08:49 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 February 2020 - 08:35 PM, said:

I guess the question is, Tiste, do you think that Police should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen?

In the US, police seem to be held to a lower standard. They get away with murdering kids, they get protected by other police, and if one ends up having to resign, they get hired in the next town over.

The fact that in the overwhelming majority of cases, police close ranks to protect the most abusive, brutal ones has convinced me that "good cops" are essentially fictional in the USA.
Plus there's that 40% domestic abuse rate.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users