Malazan Empire: Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds, John Scalzi, Marko Kloos & m

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 March 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Alternate History was stupidZ.

Agreed. Worst one of the lot by a long margin.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 25 March 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

Agreed, Lucky 13 was all-around great.

I WAS NOT CRYING YOU WERE CRYING!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:17 AM

In general they were okay. Nice to see sf short stories get some love. Can't say I thought there was anything particularly special about any of them in the main.

I wish they'd kept the actual ending to Zima Blue. Their adaptation cuts off before the final paragraphs
Spoiler
. It's far more poignant.

The military sf stuff I found to be a bit boring (as military sf tends to be imo). Animation was fine, but it didn't work storywise for me - these are the kinds of stories military sf always tells. Although, if they do another series I'd like to see them have a go at Lucius Shepard's amazing Delta Sly Honey, but I expect there's not enough 'splodey stuff in that for it to appeal to the producers' tastes.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

As evident here and over on the official subreddit for this show, I think it's most enduring quality is that everyone has different faves and weaker ones. The people who make the show can feel safe in the knowledge that they can keep doing it this way with a swathe of disparate stories and every one of them is going to have its fans. Really excited to see what a S2 might bring us!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#45 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Watched SUITS, SUCKER OF SOULS, WHEN THE YOGHURT TOOK OVER and BEYOND THE AQUILA RIFT.

Oh man there hasn't been a dud yet though the Dracula one feels a bit out of place in this series. Aquila was superb and the yoghurt one was just good fun.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:29 PM

Season 2 trailer and Synopses are out! Looks Doooooooooope.

Synposes for each story

#47 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

Oh nice!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

First season fell on the edgelord-y side overall imo, but it did have its standouts (and visually it was pretty consistently impressive). This S2 trailer looks immediately better, like a wider variety of stories being told with visuals at least as good. Kinda hyped!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:01 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

Season 2 trailer and Synopses are out! Looks Doooooooooope.

Synposes for each story

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 April 2021 - 09:20 PM, said:

Oh nice!

View Postworry, on 20 April 2021 - 09:23 PM, said:

First season fell on the edgelord-y side overall imo, but it did have its standouts (and visually it was pretty consistently impressive). This S2 trailer looks immediately better, like a wider variety of stories being told with visuals at least as good. Kinda hyped!

AND S3!

I am so there for this.

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:32 AM

MOAR THE SEXBOTS MOAR

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

I think the only stumble in the creators this season is that they've given a story to Neal Asher. Giving air to that windbag climate change denier asshole is not a good thing. I may skip SNOW IN THE DESERT as a result. Everything else looks cream and Jennifer Yu on as pretty much show runner will hopefully add some new blood to the whole shebang.

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

TODAY! I'll be checking out some of this tonight. Will chime in after I see some of it. Excited!

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:10 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 May 2021 - 02:43 PM, said:

Bruh only 8 eps...

It's probably because they greenlit S2 and 3 together in 2019 as a package deal, and the 8 episode seasons were agreed upon then for 2 and 3. Probably for budgetary reasons?

Anyways ,it's definitely a drop on length as Season 1 was 227minutes of content total, Season 2 is 105 minutes of content. So less than half of the season 1 length.

Oh well, hopefully the stories we did get are great. There was a TOUCH of filler in S1 I could do away with, so not all of that was great.

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:59 AM

Finished.

AUTOMATED CUSTOMER SERVICE - This was a blast, typical good humour robot stuff from John Scalzi.

ICE - My second favourite short in the season. Just really kinetically paced, not overly complex, and stunningly animated.

POP SQUAD - This is easily my fave short. Utterly thought provoking and wonderful. Makes me want to read the rest of Bacigalupi’s work if they are all this great.

SNOW IN THE DESERT - Yeah, I watched the Neal Asher one...and while I agree it’s very well animated, the story is crap. The is the only short I actively disliked.

THE TALL GRASS - Yes agreed, this one is wonderful. It’s got a folksy, ghost story vibe and the animation has that wooden-carved look. LOVED it, third fave.

ALL THROUGH THE HOUSE - This short would 100% not work it’d it was any longer. But it’s the right length and as such is a charming day perfect little tale.

LIFE HUTCH - this was fine. Not terrible, not great. Jordan elevates it with a great voice performance. I liked it, but it’s lower on the totem pole than the others.

THE DROWNED GIANT - This was a really human story that really worked with the narration and the British seaside coast vibe. Like the story someone would tell over pints in the pub. Loved it.

Also notice that the same store “Ipswitch Collectables” appears in THE DROWNED GIANT and POP SQUAD. Not sure why that is.

Good season, shorter than s1 but more consistent?

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:37 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 May 2021 - 01:15 AM, said:

What was wrong with Snow? I loved it. Reminds me of
Spoiler

Meh, just really blah.

Drowned Giant
Spoiler

It’s a JG Ballard short from like 1964. The guy was a sort of new wave weird fiction guy who likes body horror and grotesqueries, and stories that grind against expectation. It’s supposed to feel like a weird fairy tale about the human condition and how WE perceive something like that and act around it as it decays.

Ice
Spoiler

Yeah, this one is super tight.

Train
Spoiler

Yeah, I’ll definitely re-watch when I go through the season again.

I also feel the urge to re-watch s1 now too.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 May 2021 - 01:38 AM

#56 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:33 AM

So I watched them all and while I agree that the animation on all counts was even more stunning and that there was no real filler, I kind of miss the variety of the first season. I mean you had the yoghurt one, the killing Hitler one, the civilisation in the freezer, the girl witnessing the murder, the dump, the farmers with the mechs and portals... I think season 2 because it was noticeably shorter just felt like it was over very abruptly.

Highlight was probably the Pop Squad which, sci-fi tech element aside, was basically a statement on American (and I suppose Western in general) treatment of minorities and the poor. Heartbreaking.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#57 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 May 2021 - 12:02 PM

Watched Season 2. Enjoyed, though not as much as Season 1. A few were a bit too much WTF? for me. And in a pointless way, not a "Huh, I don't get it but it was still cool" way.

Was that Michael B Jordan? Yes, yes it was.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#58 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:10 AM

Also, and this isn't necessarily a negative point but considering they have been promoting this as very much a NSFW show, there was no nudity* or sex and the violence was toned down a lot as well (or at least so it seemed.) Seems like an odd choice, do you know if they got into trouble or controversy with season 1?

*Giant dong notwithstanding...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:36 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 May 2021 - 03:10 AM, said:

Also, and this isn't necessarily a negative point but considering they have been promoting this as very much a NSFW show, there was no nudity* or sex and the violence was toned down a lot as well (or at least so it seemed.) Seems like an odd choice, do you know if they got into trouble or controversy with season 1?

*Giant dong notwithstanding...

Indeed, even the SNOW episode which has sex in it, features no real nudity.

It COULD be the new supervising director Jennifer Yuh Nelson? Her biggest claims to fame are the KUNG-FU PANDA flicks, so perhaps she toned it down or had it toned down? It felt like SNOW for sure was GOING to show some frontal, and doesn't.

I don't think they got in trouble for S1, as it's always been a nouveau HEAVY METAL anthology so the nudity and violence is expected.

#60 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:47 AM

Ice and Pop Squad were my favorites too. In fact I agree with QT pretty much down the line, except I didn't actively dislike Snow, I'd just rank it next to Hutch as the bottom of this batch, but both still "decent".
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users