• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'Filler' in Stormlight Archive SPOILERS for all things Stormlight and related

#21 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

I loved TWOK. Shallan’s storyline was the most boring partbut I still enjoyed the world building during her parts. Book two gotfrustrating during Kaladin’s second slide into depression and anger but hemostly pulled his head out of his ass at the end. The worst part of book threewas Shallan’s stupid identity crisis. Overall, for me personally, these bookshad very little that I considered filler. I enjoyed the whole read of all threebooks.

@Maark

I have to admit I have find your complete hatred for thisbook amusing most of the time, but I guess I always have wondered why you letyourself get so furious over a book. Sanderson wrote a book that was not to yourtaste at all. WE GET IT. Your dislike of TWOK is your own personal taste andyet you seem to think that your personal hatred of the book means it is trash,poorly written by an incompetent author, and anyone who likes it is a completeidiot. We are allowed to like things you do not. I am not an idiot but for somereason TWOK worked for me while having the opposite response from you. It suckswhen you are excited about a book and it lets you down but the anger you seemto feel over this seems misplaced and extreme. It seems like you take every opportunityto argue the sheer awfulness of this book all over this site. Would you arguethis much if it were a difference in taste of food? You may hate TWOK and it’sauthor with every fiber of your being and it will not change my mind on howmuch I like it. I hate the flavor of coffee (and yes I have tried cappuccino,iced coffee, desserts with coffee flavor, liquor with coffee flavor, even lipgloss and if coffee flavor is in something I can taste it and I do not like itat all). If I took a page out of your book I would have to go around to everyperson who loves coffee and tell them how disgusting it is, how wrong it is forthem to trust their own taste buds, how stupid the companies are for producingsuch garbage, and how idiotic all the consumers of coffee are. We all havedifferent tastes and that is ok, so I think it is time for you to let it go andtry to get over some of this rage you feel over something so silly as a bookthat wasted your time. I’mnot saying you cannot express your opinion because, as I mentioned above, Ifind it amusing. I have just never understood why people allow themselves toget so angry over difference in taste. Why waste time being so mad.

#22 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

Uh, guys, please stop trying to force subjectivity to be objectivity.

And I always take Maark's anti-Sandersonism as exaggeration for effect, mixed with some dark humour. Kind of like if anyone asks me about kale I will always respond that it is the Devil's vegetable and anyone who likes it is wrong and a Satanist. And not the cool, Slayer-listening sort either, but the emo hipster sort. Who should all die. Horribly. From kale overdoses.

:)

For the record, I mostly like TSA but agree the Kal-moping could be cut down a tad. He can still mope just as much, but BS could cut down the amount of text he devotes to it. Then again, at least it's not extended navel-gazing by an entire cast of disparate characters ... ;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#23 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

And tried kale the other day, it wasn't actually that bad

#24 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

Kale is a gateway vegetable to Satanic Hipsterism. Next you'll be all aboout quinoa shakes and smashed avo with deconstructed activated some-shit-or-other. You have been warned.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

I like kale.
And i like Kal.

...hey!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

I make one hyperbolic comment regarding opinions, pointing out the ludicrousness of suggesting that someone's opinion may be wrong, and I get a very angry post in reply, followed by a series of appeals to calm down, and finally a reference to satanic hipsterism? Oh, I love the internet.
I think Sanderson should get forum members here to write book 4 for him, and even Maark couldn't say it has filler.

On topic: Yes, other stuff does happen in those pages. Some awesome worldbuilding is revealed, we get a look at the fascinating Kholin-Sadeas dynamics, and Kaladin's character progresses. Not to mention the humour - Erikson is often quite funny (especially the Pratchett-esque narration of the Kruppe sections; that is the one place where I prefer his humour to Sanderson's), but Hoid's barbs and Rock's comments sometimes have me rolling on the floor.

And back off-topic: Slayer-listening Satanists are cool? If that is the case, I never want to be cool. 25 minute albums are only okay if you're Buckethead and release 100 of them in a year. And the lyrics are absolutely horrible ("Feel the knife pierce you intensely!"). Not to mention the fact that Slayer is a poor middle ground. If you want to listen to Satanic music, listen to Varg Vikernes. If you want to listen to thrash, listen to Megadeth. (If you want to be emo, listen to Linkin Park. If you want to lose all faith in the human race, listen to Justin Bieber.)

#27 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 April 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 April 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

How is it clever in any sense of the word to have about 300 pages of "Kaladin is sad"?

Because other stuff happens in there...you were just to blinded by your own hatred of one aspect to read those bits?

The idea that there is 300 pages of 'Kaladin sad' is a pretty ludicrous exaggeration.

You say other stuff happens, but there's so little of it that my assertion that the book is by and large 8-900 pages of cuttable filler stands. The sequences that actually engaged were Giant Enemy Crab and the final battle; the rest was tedium made manifest. And form memory those sections amount to a 100 page total or so. And it's a 1200 page book. In which almost nothing happens. And when things do happen, they're hamfisted, uninteresting, [/i]boring[/I] (Shallan's segments added nothing of interest, Grandpa's parts were boring and mopey and the interludes were just utterly pointless). Considering how fun and punchy Mistborn was, to have to go through a slog that the Men of the Tusk would look at and balk was unpleasant in the extreme and I take no shame in stating I yeeted that book from my house as it didn't deserve a place on my shelves.

Also yes Worry is a satanic hipster who wants to destroy America, this is known.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 April 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

I like kale.And i like Kal....hey!

I think there's something in that for all of us.

View PostJohn II, on 25 April 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

I make one hyperbolic comment regarding opinions, pointing out the ludicrousness of suggesting that someone's opinion may be wrong, and I get a very angry post in reply, followed by a series of appeals to calm down, and finally a reference to satanic hipsterism? Oh, I love the internet.I think Sanderson should get forum members here to write book 4 for him, and even Maark couldn't say it has filler.On topic: Yes, other stuff does happen in those pages. Some awesome worldbuilding is revealed, we get a look at the fascinating Kholin-Sadeas dynamics, and Kaladin's character progresses. Not to mention the humour - Erikson is often quite funny (especially the Pratchett-esque narration of the Kruppe sections; that is the one place where I prefer his humour to Sanderson's), but Hoid's barbs and Rock's comments sometimes have me rolling on the floor.And back off-topic: Slayer-listening Satanists are cool? If that is the case, I never want to be cool. 25 minute albums are only okay if you're Buckethead and release 100 of them in a year. And the lyrics are absolutely horrible ("Feel the knife pierce you intensely!"). Not to mention the fact that Slayer is a poor middle ground. If you want to listen to Satanic music, listen to Varg Vikernes. If you want to listen to thrash, listen to Megadeth. (If you want to be emo, listen to Linkin Park. If you want to lose all faith in the human race, listen to Justin Bieber.)

Hyperbole is the worst thing in the world. Ever.

Nah, VV ain't my thang, music is atmos-y but the dude has a few issues, to put it mildly. Megadeth are shite and Dave Mustaine is an egomaniac that makes Lars Ulrich look self-effacing, end of story. I liked LP before they went all melodic and mopey-ballady, but losing Chester still sucked. Lost most of my faith in humanity a while ago, but I'm hanging on to the last skerrick so I'll skip the Beibs thanks. Reign in Blood is one of the best metal albums ever, very cathartic. And Slayer are still damn good live, even after the sad loss of Jeff Hanneman.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 April 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 April 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 April 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

How is it clever in any sense of the word to have about 300 pages of "Kaladin is sad"?
Because other stuff happens in there...you were just to blinded by your own hatred of one aspect to read those bits?The idea that there is 300 pages of 'Kaladin sad' is a pretty ludicrous exaggeration.
You say other stuff happens, but there's so little of it that my assertion that the book is by and large 8-900 pages of cuttable filler stands. The sequences that actually engaged were Giant Enemy Crab and the final battle; the rest was tedium made manifest. And form memory those sections amount to a 100 page total or so. And it's a 1200 page book. In which almost nothing happens. And when things do happen, they're hamfisted, uninteresting, [/i]boring[/I] (Shallan's segments added nothing of interest, Grandpa's parts were boring and mopey and the interludes were just utterly pointless). Considering how fun and punchy Mistborn was, to have to go through a slog that the Men of the Tusk would look at and balk was unpleasant in the extreme and I take no shame in stating I yeeted that book from my house as it didn't deserve a place on my shelves.Also yes Worry is a satanic hipster who wants to destroy America, this is known.

Satanic hipsterism: the new almost-but-can't-be-bothered threat. A casual throw of the Devil's Horns accompanied by "Meh" or "Satan is just getting too commercial now". Plus beanies, stretcher earrings and kale smoothies.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 April 2019 - 12:52 PM

#29 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:39 PM

The Dave is awesome. He's like the Karsa of metal. Incredibly good, and knows it. [EDIT: Having said that, he strikes me as having turned over a new leaf since his conversion to Christianity in '03. He used to be a total jerk (now he has some parts missing...), but has mellowed since. He is certainly more modest than Lars. And a better singer than Tom. And a better riffer than James. And he said in 1988, long before Trump, that if he was president he would build a wall on the Mexican border. So basically, he is awesome. Not as awesome as Anomander Rake, but then, no one is.]
Rust in Peace is probably my most listened to thrash album. The riffing is second to none. Master of Puppets is the only other album that comes close, but I prefer Dave's voice. Also note that Megadeth has been producing quality output (I'll ignore Lulu if you ignore Risk) over a much greater period of time than Slayer or Metallica. I'll grant that the solos are a little lame compared to Kirk Wahmett's, but still better than Slayer (Kerry King, nuff said). I sometimes listen to Reign in Blood, but it is almost like "Let's make some shocking lyrics! Then we don't have to have decent lyrical constructs and we can use slightly boring riffs with minimal differentiation!"
I don't listen to black metal, but find VV's protestations of innocence and surprise at his plight morbidly amusing.

I just got that hyperbole comment. Well played, sir.

And I do believe you forgot beards, old clothes, vaping (double points for kale flavoured vape juice), and body odour.

On topic: Shallan's segments added something of interest. The conflict between her faith and Jasnah's atheism is interesting, we learn about soulcasting, there are some quite funny moments in there, and most importantly we learn more about the 'making' of a Knight Radiant.

This post has been edited by John II: 27 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users