Twilight Imperium (Game 3) - Chat Thread

#1861 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:35 PM

View PostBlend, on 01 March 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostTapper, on 01 March 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 01 March 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

You know, I could always give Drek War Suns if you all don't want to give me the tech agenda...

Go ahead.

*shrugs*

Guess I'll see what Drek / others have to say. Twelve hasn't said much, yet, about this agenda phase. I'm sure people like Tatts and IH might have a problem with squids in war suns. And frankly, you should too. If I give it to Drek, and then to Macaw, it means that there will be three of us with War Suns, which will quickly outstrip the rest of you.

Hmm, and I suppose since I'm going to get collaboratively outvoted on both agendas there's no point in me voting for myself, and I might as well just dump all my votes onto you, Blend :)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#1862 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostD, on 01 March 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Hmm, and I suppose since I'm going to get collaboratively outvoted on both agendas there's no point in me voting for myself, and I might as well just dump all my votes onto you, Blend :)

I mean, I *did* make you an offer further upthread for your votes.

I'm trying to decide what would be best for me. I'm not terribly interested in giving you War Suns given the very strong position you are already in, but if I have to in order to prove to the rest of this thread that I will carry out my threats, then I might just do that.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#1863 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

Blend, if you give her your racial she is most likely going to sit on it to keep you from fulfilling our deal.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#1864 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

View PostGnaw, on 01 March 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Blend, if you give her your racial she is most likely going to sit on it to keep you from fulfilling our deal.

I mean, there'd be a caveat that it gets used immediately as part of the deal I'd make with her if it comes to that. I could also give it to you first, have you use it, then give it to her.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#1865 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

I’m going to play technology first turn btw. Assuming Tapper doesn’t take it away from me. So the ministry thing will come in to play immediately.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#1866 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostBlend, on 01 March 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'm trying to decide what would be best for me. I'm not terribly interested in giving you War Suns given the very strong position you are already in, but if I have to in order to prove to the rest of this thread that I will carry out my threats, then I might just do that.

I think the problem you have is that if we make any formal deal, the rest will know exactly where my votes are going and will just put 35 votes on Tatts to counteract us. It's going to have to be a wait and see in order to keep everyone unsure.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#1867 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

View PostD, on 01 March 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

I think the problem you have is that if we make any formal deal, the rest will know exactly where my votes are going and will just put 35 votes on Tatts to counteract us. It's going to have to be a wait and see in order to keep everyone unsure.

If we can convince IH to flip back to voting for me, we'd have 43 of the 82 votes, which means we could win that vote.

IH - anything you'd be willing to do that for?

#1868 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostBlend, on 01 March 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

If we can convince IH to flip back to voting for me, we'd have 43 of the 82 votes, which means we could win that vote.

Oh, that’s easy: give him your racial before giving it to D’rek.

#1869 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostGnaw, on 01 March 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

Oh, that’s easy: give him your racial before giving it to D’rek.

LoL, well, that's not going to happen as he has already shown his desire to expand into this side of the galaxy and made me lose a fighter. Drek hasn't done me any harm at all yet this game.

#1870 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:48 PM

My votes can be had for your trade agreement or racial as agreed if you get enough votes in a binding deal to stop d'rek getting the agenda, otherwise they are going to tatts. And I'm not going to be party to any deal where d'rek gets warsuns.

And I honestly think the above from d'rek is code for if I string blend along I can vote for myself and get that law passed in my name.

#1871 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Anyone know the rules on binding deals and voting? Can any deals for votes be considered binding?

#1872 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 01 March 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

Anyone know the rules on binding deals and voting? Can any deals for votes be considered binding?

Nope, they’re not. Well, maybe... I guess in a table top game they could be? Here’s my PN; you get it right now if you vote my wish right now?

#1873 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 01 March 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

It’s a tricksy one. I would say that if you agree to something in exchange for your votes in the *agenda phase*, then you have to vote that way, as technically your votes are submitted immediately after agreeing a deal.

#1874 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

If the terms of a deal can be resolved immediately, it is a binding deal. When a deal is binding, a player must adhere to the terms of the agreement and whatever transactions, if any, were agreed upon.

So, yes I would say that it is a binding deal. Of course the only opinion that counts here is His Majesty’s.

#1875 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

I don’t mean technically. I meant, in theory your votes can be submitted straight after agreeing the deal, so that would be a binding arrangement.

#1876 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

You know, I could always give Drek War Suns if you all don't want to give me the tech agenda...

Go ahead.

*shrugs*

Guess I'll see what Drek / others have to say. Twelve hasn't said much, yet, about this agenda phase. I'm sure people like Tatts and IH might have a problem with squids in war suns. And frankly, you should too. If I give it to Drek, and then to Macaw, it means that there will be three of us with War Suns, which will quickly outstrip the rest of you.

No, what will happen is that D'rek with WS will win faster than D'rek without war suns because they make IH's eventual opposition irrelevant.

I haven't seen anything from you that makes me think WS are going to win you the game, only that they make your military very tough to beat, at significant investment from you so far.

Likewise, for Macaw. They are going to allow him peace of mind against Morgoth and you, nothing more.

Macaw will either face stiff military competition with you or with Morghy, and you are going to be looking at a very long and inconvenient string of planets that create a very long, hard to defend border and you're not even close to something important like MR.

What is more, your little extortion of "if you don't do as I say, I give X the WS technology" is BS. If you give it now to D'rek, D'reks chances of winning go up - yours get slimmer. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#1877 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostTapper, on 01 March 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

Likewise, for Macaw. They are going to allow him peace of mind against Morgoth and you, nothing more.

Not true. He’s getting my antivirus out of the deal.

#1878 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

View PostGnaw, on 01 March 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

Not true. He’s getting my antivirus out of the deal.

"They" is War Sun, in that sentence.

So: "likewise for Macaw. Wae Suns are going to allow him peace of mind against Morgoth and Blend."

Antivirus is more or less only a benefit to Blend if he gets WS II.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#1879 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

Go ahead.

*shrugs*

No, what will happen is that D'rek with WS will win faster than D'rek without war suns because they make IH's eventual opposition irrelevant.

I haven't seen anything from you that makes me think WS are going to win you the game, only that they make your military very tough to beat, at significant investment from you so far.

Macaw will either face stiff military competition with you or with Morghy, and you are going to be looking at a very long and inconvenient string of planets that create a very long, hard to defend border and you're not even close to something important like MR.

What is more, your little extortion of "if you don't do as I say, I give X the WS technology" is BS. If you give it now to D'rek, D'reks chances of winning go up - yours get slimmer. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

This game is about accruing VPs - I've got my VP gain choices mapped out for the next 2-3 rounds, and whether Drek or Gnaw or anyone else has War Suns shouldn't make any difference to that, so really, maybe it's making Drek's ability to win a bit faster, but it doesn't hurt mine, so who cares? Isn't that the point of a deal? Give them something they can use to win faster so that you can gain something that will allow you to win faster? If I get the tech agenda, it helps me in that I'll have an additional 4 resources each round, at the very least, which means I can build more ships which allows me to continue expanding as I deem necessary.

I also get the bonus of not having to worry overmuch about what's going on on the other side of the galaxy because they'll all be dealing with Jol'Nar with War Suns and a fuckload of planets.

Giving Drek War Suns does nothing to make my chances of winning any slimmer, while having her help me win that agenda DOES help me. Seems like a win/win to me.

And frankly, using my racial as a deterrent has been the most consistent advice I've found on the internet about how to play the Muaat. You may not like it because it's very much extortion, but I don't particularly care whether or not you like it, it's technically legal within the game's rules.

So here we are - you guys can either help vote me in to win that agenda, or I give Drek War Suns in exchange for HER votes. And if she ends up not agreeing, then I'll just throw my votes on something that will be most likely to fuck over the most amount of you! :)

#1880 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:27 PM

It should be noted that MR is only important if you can't keep gaining VP without it. Neither of the winners of the two previous games gained a single point from holding MR, so who cares about that?

Share this topic:

• 242 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users