Malazan Empire: Oh gods when will Peace Talks get here? - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oh gods when will Peace Talks get here? AAAAAAHHHHHHH THE DRESDENCRACK AAAHHHHHHHH

#141 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:01 PM

Well it is payday tomorrow.

#142 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 June 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

I've made the decision to stop collecting these in hardcover...but the good news is that means that for the price of one hardcover I can get both PEACE TALKS and BATTLE GROUND on Kindle.

Also BATTLE GROUND is up for preorder as well.

I wish I could do that but my brain won't allow me to... if I've started the series with physical books then I have to finish the series with phyiscal books. I cannot have a half completed collection...
Pre-ordered too!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#143 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

View Postchamp, on 29 June 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 June 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

I've made the decision to stop collecting these in hardcover...but the good news is that means that for the price of one hardcover I can get both PEACE TALKS and BATTLE GROUND on Kindle.

Also BATTLE GROUND is up for preorder as well.

I wish I could do that but my brain won't allow me to... if I've started the series with physical books then I have to finish the series with phyiscal books. I cannot have a half completed collection...
Pre-ordered too!

It's really hard. I've spent the last few years whittling down the authors whose books I buy and collect in physical form and kept only the most important authors to me on my main set of shelves (Tolkien, Pratchett, Whyte, Erikson/Esselmont, Cornwell), and letting go of some of the collections for authors who don't make that cut. I love Butcher's work, but not enough to have 22 or however many hardcovers on my shelf (it doesn't hurt that I am missing about 5 hardcovers that I only have in MMPB), and I've dropped some authors who were on those shelves (Abercrombie, simply because he got too grim for me to enjoy as I once, and more recently Mark Lawrence for other reasons)...so I've accepted I won't one day have my "library room with a slider ladder" I always wanted....but instead I'll have a quiet nook with a few shelves in a corner with only the best of the best on it....and a million other books on kindle.

In the end, I was able to switch from buying physical CD's to buying digital iTunes MP3s, and finally to just having a premium Spotify subscription and I would never look back. But it was HARD to make those transitions... I expect that I'll get there with books too one day.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#144 User is offline   Dinivan 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:05 PM

So did you buy all the Dresden files you had as dead tree again as an ebook?

Just asking because I made the switch to ebook just earlier this year and now am looking at this decision. Limited shelf space means roughly three hour this of my books are currently boxed up (so going ebook was long overdue) and it would make sense to replace them by ebook, but aside from the fact that letting go of my books is HARD I am leery of the expense.... Dresden files alone are 15 books already.

Both Peace Talks and Battle Ground are preordered for ebook already.

#145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:21 PM

View PostDinivan, on 29 June 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

So did you buy all the Dresden files you had as dead tree again as an ebook?

Just asking because I made the switch to ebook just earlier this year and now am looking at this decision. Limited shelf space means roughly three hour this of my books are currently boxed up (so going ebook was long overdue) and it would make sense to replace them by ebook, but aside from the fact that letting go of my books is HARD I am leery of the expense.... Dresden files alone are 15 books already.

Good question. I did not, and actually may not re-buy them.

Funnily enough, one of the conditions of booting Butcher (and others) off my "Forever" Physical shelf was the fact that I've never felt inclined to re-read them like I do frequently with other authors work. So in the end it's very possibly, probably even likely that I simply won't replace them in eBook, and the physical copies will get sold as a set, or barring that donated to my local library.

It's taken having two kids, and thus about 300 of my physical former shelf books in storage for space concerns in our small condo to realize that I don't miss them. I don't miss their spines. I don't miss them being there because the chances I'm going to -re-read them are quite slim. I will very occasionally slip into the storage room to find a particular book, but it's rare.

I think the added bonus of this is allowing me to focus on having/collecting the perfect sets of the Forever Shelf books, because it's a tiny amount in comparison to what I used to have, so spending money in bits and pieces to upgrade sections is a smaller and more rewarding task...like my Tolkien shelf is perfect with main series books in the versions I want, but now the task of slowly collecting the rest of the HOME books (of which I only have one so far) is ahead. If I'm not splashing out money and space for all the books I would buy normally and instead am saving money by getting ebooks (especially on sale often ones)...that's more cash for the refinement.

Hope that helps.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#146 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

I pick up the ebooks if they're cheap. Like £1-2 cheap. The first five were £1 each the other day so I snapped them up. Slight compulsive, with no good reason...
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#147 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

When I went full ebook I purged all dead tree books that weren't signed, limited, or personally cherished like my utterly disintegrating HOBBIT.

I did get the entire DRESDEN series in ebook because there was a sale and I liked being able to search them. To keep that option, as kindle usually means a cheap audible add on, I get ebook and earbook for certain series now. Otherwise earbook is my default.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#148 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 June 2020 - 05:42 PM, said:

When I went full ebook I purged all dead tree books that weren't signed, limited, or personally cherished like my utterly disintegrating HOBBIT.

Yes, this is where I'm largely at now. It was hard at first, but it's cathartic now.

What did you do with all your dead tree books Abyss? Donate? Sell? Pass on to family?

#149 User is offline   Dinivan 

• Captain

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

A couple of good points!

Sadly, my ebook provider (a conglomerate of German book sellers) does not have these extreme sales (maybe I should’ve gotten kindle, but I try to avoid amazon), so i will probably keep the Dresden files, as I sometimes do reread them.

But I could purge large part of my storage, as I haven’t reread many of them for a long time and honestly do not think I will do so (kids played a large part in getting them moved to storage in the first place, too. And having less time for reading! Along with a new job and moving to a city where space is simply far more expensive than on the countryside). Going forward it’ll be only ebooks, except for special cases. I have a gorgeous version of The Hobbit! I need a lord of the rings to match, though.

I have been completely convinced by the ebook after only a few months of using. Biting myself I did not switch sooner!

It will take some willpower to part with so many books! Probably best to donate them, if our library is willing to take them.

I have a weird relationship with earbooks. For the most part I only listen to them on really long drives, but there are a few I utterly love.

#150 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

I have thought about getting Peace talks as an earbook, but I think I might stick to text as I currently get more that way.

#151 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

My parents have a house that I think will come to me eventually. There's a lovely room in it that will display basically anything I've ever wanted on shelves. So I keep the books I really want in paper for my future kids and any close friends or family that may want to go through the library eventually.

Right now that means about 300 books in storage in the basement and 150 in shelves in my house.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#152 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:02 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 June 2020 - 06:01 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 29 June 2020 - 05:42 PM, said:

Yes, this is where I'm largely at now. It was hard at first, but it's cathartic now.

What did you do with all your dead tree books Abyss? Donate? Sell? Pass on to family?

Donated to local second hand stores i'm fond of. I could have probably made a few bucks off them (there were a LOT of books) but that would have required actual work.

View PostBriar King, on 29 June 2020 - 06:05 PM, said:

Wtf is an ebook?

Don't worry about it. It's not related to trucksex or astronomy.

View PostDinivan, on 29 June 2020 - 06:13 PM, said:

...I have a weird relationship with earbooks. For the most part I only listen to them on really long drives, but there are a few I utterly love.

Right now, if i didn't earbook, i would probably not complete a book a month.

View PostCyphon, on 29 June 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

I have thought about getting Peace talks as an earbook, but I think I might stick to text as I currently get more that way.

*'why not both' girl.gif*

View Postamphibian, on 29 June 2020 - 06:39 PM, said:

My parents have a house that I think will come to me eventually. There's a lovely room in it that will display basically anything I've ever wanted on shelves. So I keep the books I really want in paper for my future kids and any close friends or family that may want to go through the library eventually.

Right now that means about 300 books in storage in the basement and 150 in shelves in my house.

I had a vague thought towards saving them for future generations, then i figured future generations would have phones and tablets and not give a damn.

#153 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:06 AM

My thinking is that I'm likely not going to be able to hand a digital library to a child the way they can go through a paper library.

Too many changes in format, devices, and even protections placed on the files themselves.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#154 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:28 AM

Next generation are gonna complain when the old books aren't 4D holograms with smells and sounds.

#155 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

Hipster millenials want scrolls.

#156 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 July 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

Hipster millenials want scrolls.

Organic, cruelty-free scrolls. The clean-living humans had to donate their toxin-free skins.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#157 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:31 AM

My copy was shipped today Posted Image

In an amusing aside, because of the way I excitedly squeaked the name this morning on receiving the email, Mr Not A Blacksmith thought the title was "Pea Stalks"
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#158 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

Woop woop, I'm going to finish return of the Crimson guard in perfect timing to start reading this on release date. Might need to read some cliff notes on what happened in the last few books. Remember skin game but bit hazy before then.

#159 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:59 PM

View PostCyphon, on 12 July 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

Woop woop, I'm going to finish return of the Crimson guard in perfect timing to start reading this on release date. Might need to read some cliff notes on what happened in the last few books. Remember skin game but bit hazy before then.

If you find some good synopses let me know, there's been far too much going on since I read them last.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#160 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

https://dresdenfiles...e_Dresden_Files

This seemed to do the job for me Tiste.