• Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

So I stumbled onto this:

and this

and got linked up to this: https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, this looks like A LOT of work and world building. I like that.

Secondly, I plan to play one of these before I die for the following reasons:

Erikson and Cameron started developing characters for MBotF this way.

I get a lot of commission work to paint stuff based on this i.e:

my DnD based art.

So yeah...I wanna give it a shot.

Is anyone playing D&D 5E?

How do I learn to play?

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 06 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#2 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

Currently waiting to start a D&D 5E game, and have played one before.

WotC has a great new starter section on their website, I would definitely recommend having a look through that - http://dnd.wizards.c...ons-and-dragons :p

And also, I love the artwork!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 06 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#3 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

Its easy!

Also, 'Critical Role' and 'Acquisitions Inc' are the two best DnD campaigns on youtube. And yes, roll20 is the way to go. If you have small game shops near you, they might be part of the 'Adventurers League' that host weekly/bi-weekly games.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#4 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

5e is pretty simple to play, honestly I'd recommend just diving in. Have a read of the Player's Handbook and figure out a character you think looks fun. Make sure you've got flaws and a motivation for adventure (characters that just want to say no to stuff tend to be less fun for everyone). There's a bunh of subreddits that can help with mechanics or inspiration (r/DnD or r/Dndnext for 5e). Personally I recommend the more versatile classes but you'll find your own preferneces.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#5 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostObdigore, on 06 August 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Its easy!

Also, 'Critical Role' and 'Acquisitions Inc' are the two best DnD campaigns on youtube. And yes, roll20 is the way to go. If you have small game shops near you, they might be part of the 'Adventurers League' that host weekly/bi-weekly games.

Cheers for this from me too - I had a look through Meetup.com and have found a local bunch who are setting up a 5e game, and also play the Dresden RPG and Pathfinder regularly.

Sorted! Posted Image
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#6 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:47 AM

View PostObdigore, on 06 August 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Its easy!

Haven't gotten into acq Inc but I love dice camera action.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#7 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:10 AM

SO Thanks Obdi, I am deep into that Critical Role campaign. Pretty good acting, sort of like the improv olympics.

Here's an online resource I'm using today to build a random character.

https://orcpub2.com/

I wonder if this could work with a Malazan theme...

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 07 August 2018 - 05:10 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#8 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

I'd kind of recommend against their 'character builder for newbs'. The full one is better (though missing some options since it's just drawn from the SRD). If you don't have a players handbook the SRD has slightly cut down versions of the races and classes (basically missing subraces and subclasses: so instead of having 3 subrace options for elves it has 1 and so on). It's is a bit more confusing to read than the PHB though -- and lacks the walkthrough on how to make a character -- so if you want to get into the game I do recommend one.

The 'character builder for newbs' kind of shoehorns you into the basic options when one of the big joys of D&D is inventiveness and the space to be flexible. Say you want to play a spellcaster but none of the options for 'where your magic comes from' really work for you? That's fine, talk to your DM and you'll likely work something out. Also your DM may or may not include everything in their game; some races might not be present in their world for example. It also doesn't do the best job of explaining what your choices really entail. Races for example come with different abilities and attributes, which will work better with some classes than others. Tiny gnomes don't tend to make great hulking barbarians for example. It can be fun to deliberately play these kinds of characters, but you want to know that you're doing it (and I wouldn't recommend it for a first character).

Do you have any particular aspects of a character in mind? It can be tricky to get started since there's so many options and the massive amounts of text on the subject don't necessarily help. I usually just ask myself a bunch of questions: rich or poor growing up? urban or rural? trusting or cynical? best trait? biggest flaw?

Then once I have some idea of personality I try and figure which class that might be interesting to play with and how that can work mechanically.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#9 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostGrief, on 07 August 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'd kind of recommend against their 'character builder for newbs'. The full one is better (though missing some options since it's just drawn from the SRD). If you don't have a players handbook the SRD has slightly cut down versions of the races and classes (basically missing subraces and subclasses: so instead of having 3 subrace options for elves it has 1 and so on). It's is a bit more confusing to read than the PHB though -- and lacks the walkthrough on how to make a character -- so if you want to get into the game I do recommend one.

The 'character builder for newbs' kind of shoehorns you into the basic options when one of the big joys of D&D is inventiveness and the space to be flexible. Say you want to play a spellcaster but none of the options for 'where your magic comes from' really work for you? That's fine, talk to your DM and you'll likely work something out. Also your DM may or may not include everything in their game; some races might not be present in their world for example. It also doesn't do the best job of explaining what your choices really entail. Races for example come with different abilities and attributes, which will work better with some classes than others. Tiny gnomes don't tend to make great hulking barbarians for example. It can be fun to deliberately play these kinds of characters, but you want to know that you're doing it (and I wouldn't recommend it for a first character).

Do you have any particular aspects of a character in mind? It can be tricky to get started since there's so many options and the massive amounts of text on the subject don't necessarily help. I usually just ask myself a bunch of questions: rich or poor growing up? urban or rural? trusting or cynical? best trait? biggest flaw?

Then once I have some idea of personality I try and figure which class that might be interesting to play with and how that can work mechanically.

Ok so standard character design within the rules? I will not be using the Newb builder. I have the handbook, a friend sorted me out.

I have a good feel for the type of character I'd like to play.

I love to play Rogues. Drows are my go-to race most games. This time I want to play an Orc, ever since I stumbled onto this project: http://orkenworld.com/

So my Character:
Name: Thread-knife

Male
extremely Rural
filthy rich with no concept of value or economics
Cynical to a fault
Super fast, projectile savant
Bad at talking common.

character page~

https://orcpub2.com/...0133?frame=true

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 07 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

#10 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:59 PM

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure your character has a reason to take part in what's going on, even if it's just 'lulz, I think it's funny'. I have been roleplaying for half my life and by far the most common reason for people to not enjoy the game is a lack of character motivation to keep participating in the plot. Don't expect your DM to always provide you with something to do, sometimes the plot will be focused on other characters or aspects of the game you may not like that much (for example, my favourite part of the game are encounters and boss fights because I prefer combat-oriented characters, but I have no issue with having others do the talky-talky thing). Be prepared to occasionally provide your own plot/fun and approach your DM if you have an idea about what could be done to turn your fun into fun for the entire party. In short, try to be pro-active, which does not mean 'barrel into any and all situations with wanting to be the centre of attention' (my group recently kicked out a player for that, actually) but look for ways to occupy your character during downtime (nothing wrong with characters who just sit around mining their nose if you as a player don't mind) rather than expecting your DM to always railroad you.

Also, I recommend to have a rough idea of how your character came to the point in their life where they met the other members of the party. For example, why would a filthy rich orc rogue go adventuring or whatever? (My orc barbarian did because she figured she'd need to earn sizeable dowries for her daughters; it was silly and she never managed because our party tends to leave loot behind where it fell andeventually retired to sew rabbit fur rompers because her eldest daughter had managed to become pragnant out of wedlock - we suspected our druid for a while but then came to the conclusion that satyrs and orcs cannot make babies.)

It may sound like a logical way to approach the entire thing, but you'd be surprised how often DMs have to make characters for players who have no imagination and want to play something cool. Goshdarn. And I cannot even claim to be any good at thinking up characters myself.

Cannot recommend roll20 enough. I've never used it to find people to play with, but my regular D&D group has been using it for the past five years and it's a godsend.

The way I approach any game is to think of it as a group activity. The DM is not there to waste your time and unless everyone does their part to make it fun for everyone else, someone is going to end up miserable. But I know that some groups enjoy railroading, which is also fine. I hope you find people who enjoy the same or similar aspects of the game as you do! (My group is heavily focused on humor and underachieving and since half of us has read SE and/or Bakker, your standard garden variety of heroics and drama tend to get ridiculed into oblivion and we have, unfortunately, lost a player or two who had a wholly different idea of how their ideal game should be.)

This post has been edited by Puck: 07 August 2018 - 11:08 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#11 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

One of our players returned to my campaign on Monday, first game in 8 years odd.

He rolled a 1 in a section with walls closing in and floors that fell out from under him and basically died.

Poor sod. He's got a caveat in that the party could bring him back, but...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 07 August 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

SO Thanks Obdi, I am deep into that Critical Role campaign. Pretty good acting, sort of like the improv olympics.

That page is really helpful. Now I can check if I got my character right. Thanks for the link :p
Started playing DnD last week. One of the other players from my University group wanted to try it out. Normally we play DSA, a German Pen&Paper

#13 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 08 August 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

That page is really helpful. Now I can check if I got my character right. Thanks for the link :p
Started playing DnD last week. One of the other players from my University group wanted to try it out. Normally we play DSA, a German Pen&Paper

Das Sind Angemessene?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#14 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:13 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 August 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

Das Sind Angemessene?

Das Schwarze Auge.

Used to play it for a bit but somehow it manages to be more complicated than D&D and I'm fundamentally lazy about reading source books and doing the math on character sheets.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#15 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostPuck, on 09 August 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 August 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

Das Sind Angemessene?

Das Schwarze Auge.

Used to play it for a bit but somehow it manages to be more complicated than D&D and I'm fundamentally lazy about reading source books and doing the math on character sheets.

I would call it beginner-unfriendly. Took some time to get in and I'm still improvising from time to time when I'm game master. But luckily the self-calculating PDF is doing the math during character creation now

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 09 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

#16 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

Well, that's at least something!

As I said, I am fundamentally lazy despite loving P&P RPGs, so the simpled the better. My favourite system is the one used by Vampire: the Masquerade and the otehr games in the World of Darkness, because unless one really wants to have several pages, it works with a one-page[!] character sheet and allows me to think up any check that needs a roll within seconds when I'm GMing. This is only followed by the system in the Burning Wheel. I honestly can only deal with D&D because roll20 provides a character sheet where stuff is calculated automatically (which can at times be infuriating as it doesn't take into account that, say, my medium armour should be treated as light armour for skill checks, but fortunately that can be adjusted manually for each roll). I capitulated in regards to DSA years ago.

#17 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

Heh, Don't mind me, Still working my way through the handbook.

The heads up are greatly appreciated. I am looking to introduce more flaws into the character to generate original situations.

I completed my thread-knife character background but I may have thrown the balance off a bit.

Play wise alot to improve. I would really like to get better, my first foray into the tutorial didn't go so well.

Hey Colt! glad the automated character builder was some help.

Please share your character builds? Would be fun to see what people create and how plays with the builds vary.

#18 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

I have been trying ot get into DnD and it has not worked out yet. Tried twice before and each time the campaign ended within three session. Its surprisingly hard to get 4 adults into the same room at the same time regularly. Have one more attempt coming up this weekend.

For me though DnD has been hit or miss. I can see the potential but the games don't always live up to it for me. I think my biggest gripes is I wish people would be a bit more lax with the rules, especially the dungeon master. For me DnD should be about telling a story, the rules are there to put everyone on the same page. You know right off the bat that your lvl 1 orc cant beat a lvl 20 dragon. If you sneak up on a dragon and stab a dagger in its throat I am happy for you to roll 3d6 and determine you did 20 hp of damage to a 200 hp dragon! However if your playing an assassin and you pass the stealth checks and your standing right behind the average human sentry and your character stabs him in the neck I wish the Dungeon master would just describe the kill. For me the test in this situation was the stealth check. Even if its a lvl 4 human guard I cant wrap my head around a rules system that says you cut the guards wind pipe and do 12 damage, he has 30 hp remaining or whatever. This to me is life and what good story telling is about, the world greatest sorcerer might be able to cast meteor but if you catch him sleeping in bedroom and somehow got past the guards and traps etc you should be able to cut his throat while he sleeps. That's part of telling the good story, having the party think up some kind of insane oceans 11 plot to get in undetected if they are not the kind of party that can go toe to tow with a lvl 20 sorcerer in battle.

I

#19 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 09 August 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

Heh, Don't mind me, Still working my way through the handbook.

The heads up are greatly appreciated. I am looking to introduce more flaws into the character to generate original situations.

I completed my thread-knife character background but I may have thrown the balance off a bit.

Play wise alot to improve. I would really like to get better, my first foray into the tutorial didn't go so well.

Hey Colt! glad the automated character builder was some help.

Please share your character builds? Would be fun to see what people create and how plays with the builds vary.

Sure.

https://orcpub2.com/.../17592277816919

Ceoddyn, Human Druid, Level 1

Hermit,
Lived most of his live in the forest, doesn't speak that often to other humans, but talks to animals and himself
Live and let live, as long as nobody touches his forest
On a quest for enlightenment
Doesn't like to share secrets

My basic idea was a hairy guy who shouts at people that disrespect nature, cut trees, etc. Posted Image

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 10 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

#20 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

View PostCause, on 10 August 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I have been trying ot get into DnD and it has not worked out yet. Tried twice before and each time the campaign ended within three session. Its surprisingly hard to get 4 adults into the same room at the same time regularly. Have one more attempt coming up this weekend.

For me though DnD has been hit or miss. I can see the potential but the games don't always live up to it for me. I think my biggest gripes is I wish people would be a bit more lax with the rules, especially the dungeon master. For me DnD should be about telling a story, the rules are there to put everyone on the same page. You know right off the bat that your lvl 1 orc cant beat a lvl 20 dragon. If you sneak up on a dragon and stab a dagger in its throat I am happy for you to roll 3d6 and determine you did 20 hp of damage to a 200 hp dragon! However if your playing an assassin and you pass the stealth checks and your standing right behind the average human sentry and your character stabs him in the neck I wish the Dungeon master would just describe the kill. For me the test in this situation was the stealth check. Even if its a lvl 4 human guard I cant wrap my head around a rules system that says you cut the guards wind pipe and do 12 damage, he has 30 hp remaining or whatever. This to me is life and what good story telling is about, the world greatest sorcerer might be able to cast meteor but if you catch him sleeping in bedroom and somehow got past the guards and traps etc you should be able to cut his throat while he sleeps. That's part of telling the good story, having the party think up some kind of insane oceans 11 plot to get in undetected if they are not the kind of party that can go toe to tow with a lvl 20 sorcerer in battle.

I

Unfortunately, D&D is the wrong kind of game for that. It was never focused on storytelling, so basically your options are to 1. find a group that actively wants to make it into a storytelling game or to 2. run with it. I had pretty much the same sentiments about D&D (especially coming from GMing V:tM, which is actively marketed as a storytelling game) until my current group made the consious decision to just run with it and, aside from a couple house rules, to just adhere to the D&D rules to the t and make the best out of it. The result is a heavily humour-focused game, but on the other hand, the campaign's been running for five years now and we're approach epic levels.

If it wasn't so hellishly difficult even when compared to finding a good D&D group, I would actually recommend you to look at Burning Wheel. It tends to need some adjusting because it comes with little setting fluff, but the rules are made for storytelling and against-the-odds stuff. Even the combat rules are meant to facilitate storytelling, though they take some getting used to when one comes from D&D types of games. I've only ever played two sessions of Burning Wheel but it seemed very good. We meant to adapt the rules to play in Bakker's Eärwa setting but everyone got busy and it kind of peetered out for now.

That said, D&D can still work well if with the right people, but those are difficult to find.

As for setting up sessions, our approach has been so far (and well, again, the campaign's been running for over five years now) that anyone who joins is meant to consider the sessions an appointment and dates are set at the end of each session. If two out of six people cannot find the time and no other date is available to everyone else (especially the DM), we play anyway. Turns out it's always the same people who tend to miss sessions. I know that sounds harsh but we are all aware that out game would've died in its infancy without those rules. I mean, sure, everyone has a real life and things to take care of, but if you treat a group activity like going to the club ("well, maybe today or maybe not" or something like that) it's not going to last for long.
With four people, I would personally say that if one person cannot make it, the sessions should still be good to go UNLESS there's a boss fight or any other very important in-game event meant to happen.

As for builds, since we play 3.5 there's not much point in sharing the exact stats, but if anyone's interested, here are the two characters I've played in our current campaign so far... (spoilering in case nobody cares)

Spoiler

As I've already mentioned, we're rather humour-heavy. I have a personal rule of avoiding playing two too similar concepts in a row (apart from both characters being combat-oriented and a tad sarcastic because I simply cannot help it), which necessitates some creativity and makes for interesting characters (for me, anyway, because I actually freaking hate elves, so naturally, I am now playing one).

This post has been edited by Puck: 10 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users