• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for well written sci fi

#21 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

I mean, I enjoyed the Rama sequels well enough, but that was like 20 years ago. The first is definitely best, though. (And each sequel declines in quality as you go.)

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 08 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Loved the first, made it halfway thru the second and skimmed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

View PostAvatar, on 07 May 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Also among the classics definitely go back to Arthur C Clarke

Andorion: I've read 2001 and al the sequels, and Childhoods End, Rendezvous with Rama. And 1 other, about a spaceship after earth is destroyed or something. Do you have any other recommendations?

Try Fountains of Paradise. Not very ... fantastical, for want of a better word. Very ... grounded near future story but does focus on a couple of characters.

#24 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:02 PM

Anyone read Diaspora by Egan? It seems like scifi - as hard as hard scifi gets. Interesting, but tough. Wonder how readable it is.

#25 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

View PostAvatar, on 28 May 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Anyone read Diaspora by Egan? It seems like scifi - as hard as hard scifi gets. Interesting, but tough. Wonder how readable it is.

It's not particularly hard SF. It's more focused on tech and the why than something like the Expanse, but there are much harder books out there. I actually think it's a notch below The Algebraist. I think it isn't as good as some of the other books mentioned here.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

The Algebraist is more hard sf? Haven't tried Diaspora, from the few sentences I read, I was somewhat impressed by all the science and the complexity (essentially good things, but I worried if it would be too much.

Now you made me curious about the Algebraist as well, though

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:43 PM

View PostAvatar, on 29 May 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

The Algebraist is more hard sf? Haven't tried Diaspora, from the few sentences I read, I was somewhat impressed by all the science and the complexity (essentially good things, but I worried if it would be too much.

Now you made me curious about the Algebraist as well, though

If you want the brain melting stuff, go with Peter Watts's Blindsight and the sequel Echopraxia.

A couple steps down from that level is A Darkling Sea by James Cambias.

I really enjoyed all three of these books.

Diaspora is a decent book and around the same levels as A Darkling Sea. You won't have wasted time reading Diaspora, but it moves from hardcharging super-complex stuff to sorta... nebulous.

The older I get though, the more I realize that "hard science fiction" that talks about space exploration and so on isn't actually any harder than stuff that deals with social interactions, history, personal conflicts etc. There's just more numbers and physical materials being boshed about.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Lots of good recommendations here obviously, but for a couple more recent authors (on top of Becky Chambers who is excellent):

Ann Leckie, the Imperial Radch trilogy (first book Ancillary Justice). Vaguely Banks-ian flavour but with more military trappings. 

Yoon Ha Lee, Machineries of Empire (first book Ninefox Gambit)- darkly, disturbingly beautiful space-opera of the strange. Also pretty military as well as political-machination focused, with some interesting characters to say the least.

Ada Palmer, Terra Ignota series (first book Too Like The Lighting) - I'm still a bit unsure on aspects of the social-politics views the plot is pointing towards, but this series is nothing short of intoxicating to read, quite frankly. The prose writing, the characters, and the craft of the overall plot are all masterful in a surreal way and you're unlikely to ever have read anything like it. 

Well, that's funny, polishgenius, today, I was finally checking out every recommended book here. And after writing down 3 titles that seemed really interesting, I saw that they were all given by you. So thanks again for these 3.

#29 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

Update: I finished Donaldson's The real story (Gap #1). I tried the next one: Forbidden Knowledge, and finally concluded, the Gap Cycle is not for me. So after it, read American Pastoral by Philip Roth (great, not sci fi).

After that, I got in a hurry before I made a trip, wanted a new book, but some of them would take too long to be delivered, so I opted for Use of Weapons by Banks. Liked it, it's well written. Though I like my sci fi a bit more mindblowing and darker.

The best one I read in the last months was Ancillary Justice, afterwards. Finished yesterday and I found it truly good. Ordered the sequel, expecting it to be not as great. In the meantime, I started Dancers Lament today.

So thanks again for your reponses. Next sci fi I'll try Yoon Ha Lee. Or maybe Diaspora. Peter Watts also on the list.

#30 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

View PostAvatar, on 21 November 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Though I like my sci fi a bit more mindblowing and darker.

The sarcasm is strong in this one.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#31 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:35 PM

Didn't mean to bash Banks either :-) I just think that sci fi has so much potential to suprise you, to be mind-expanding. And I guess I missed that.

#32 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

Wait, you weren't being sarcastic? Then your standards for both 'dark' and 'mindblowing' are, to be honest, absurdly high. Way higher than mine. :)

Eta: I guess it depends on what you mean by mindblowing/expanding, though. It's a tricksy-twisty type of 'woah what the fuck', not a 'this concept will blow your MIND', which might be what you mean?

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 02 December 2018 - 01:14 AM

#33 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:12 AM

The Freeze Frame Revolution was entertaining and quick.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#34 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:14 AM

Eta: I guess it depends on what you mean by mindblowing/expanding, though. It's a tricksy-twisty type of 'woah what the fuck', not a 'this concept will blow your MIND', which might be what you mean? 

This, exactly. At the core of the book is a very dark secret. But it might have been at the core of a historical novel as well. So, mindblowing of another kind. Also, apart from some violent content, the atmosphere, conversations are light-hearted, and especially the drones, which are sometimes quite funny. Which is fine, but in this book, it broke the immersion for me. I don't remember that Excession had that as well, but it has been some years since I read that one.

This post has been edited by Avatar: 02 December 2018 - 07:17 AM

#35 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:38 PM

Excession is lighter in general so you might not have noticed coz it was in line with the tone rather than breaking it.

#36 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

Use of Weapons is one dark book from beginning to end. I can't fathom reading that and thinking it wasn't dark enough.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#37 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:57 AM

Maybe Avatar just came off a one-year Bakker-a-thon?

:)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#38 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:55 AM

Crawl from the grave, thread! Up from the earth and into the light! Live again!

Ahem! Anyway -

Kim Stanley Robinson's book length treatise on why interstellar colonisation is impossible: Aurora. That is one bleak book. A generation starship full of people suffering developmental mental defecits due to malnutrition and ecosystem collapse. And then they arrive at their destination and it gets worse...

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 23 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#39 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 23 March 2019 - 12:55 AM, said:

Crawl from the grave, thread! Up from the earth and into the light! Live again!

Ahem! Anyway -

Kim Stanley Robinson's book length treatise on why interstellar colonisation is impossible: Aurora. That is one bleak book. A generation starship full of people suffering developmental mental defecits due to malnutrition and ecosystem collapse. And then they arrive at their destination and it gets worse...

I actually really disliked Aurora. To me it was a case of the author derailing plausibility to fit an agenda.

Spoiler

#40 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

I'm currently listening to Great North Road by Peter F Hamilton and I am loving it. It's part murder mystery part grand sci-fi and really cements Hamilton as one of my top authors.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users