• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for well written sci fi

#41 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:58 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 04 May 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

Lots of good recommendations here obviously, but for a couple more recent authors (on top of Becky Chambers who is excellent):

Ann Leckie, the Imperial Radch trilogy (first book Ancillary Justice). Vaguely Banks-ian flavour but with more military trappings.

Yoon Ha Lee, Machineries of Empire (first book Ninefox Gambit)- darkly, disturbingly beautiful space-opera of the strange. Also pretty military as well as political-machination focused, with some interesting characters to say the least.

Ada Palmer, Terra Ignota series (first book Too Like The Lighting) - I'm still a bit unsure on aspects of the social-politics views the plot is pointing towards, but this series is nothing short of intoxicating to read, quite frankly. The prose writing, the characters, and the craft of the overall plot are all masterful in a surreal way and you're unlikely to ever have read anything like it.

Hey Polishgenius, one more thank you for yor three recommendations. Took me some time to read them all (I mixed in other books as well, I like to read some non-sff literature as well, and also did another MBotF reread). But: I finished both Ann Leckie's and Yoon Ha Lee's trilogy. Loved both of them, well written indeed, both very original, each in a different way. Loved Leckie's description of how being a multi-body AI consciousness would be. And loved the strange world of Machineries of Empire. I just started Too like the Lightning. Fascinating, dense, and also very well written, imo.

Some of the other ones mentioned are still on my list, so thanks everyone else as well, will check them out later.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users