• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Twilight Imperium (I) - Chatty Thread

#21 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 11 April 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Viruses cannot hurt me. I'm already dead.

In strange aeons even death may die
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 11 April 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

So what's everyone's chosen race (if we're allowed to say)?

You're allowed to say if you want to. Nico and twelve haven't chosen yet, so it could impact their decisions and hence I won't reveal everyone else's choices yet, but if you don't care then feel free to reveal.

View PostTattersail_, on 11 April 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

I was excited, I am less so now I know that Morgoth knows things. I hope I ma placed away from you Morgoth.

Nico has played before, too.

View PostKhellendros, on 11 April 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

I've only just realised that D'rek herself isn't playing.

I would have, but couldn't figure out a good way to also run the game without also knowing what action cards and secret objectives everyone has.

On the plus (scary?) side, I poured the creativity I would have used in-game into making the map instead, and now you're getting a weird not-quite symmetrical map that should be dynamic and contentious and pow pow pew pew

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

When is this due to start again? I keep starting to watch youtube videos but they're like 10 hours long, and there's only so much I can take :D
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 11 April 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

When is this due to start again? I keep starting to watch youtube videos but they're like 10 hours long, and there's only so much I can take :D

We're going to start this weekend.

Just watch the "Twilight Imperium 4th Edition in 32 minutes" video. The 10-hour ones are waaaaay overkill.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

D said:

1523460741[/url]' post='1324893']

Tattersail_ said:

1523459353[/url]' post='1324889']

We're going to start this weekend.

Just watch the "Twilight Imperium 4th Edition in 32 minutes" video. The 10-hour ones are waaaaay overkill.

My brain stopped working at just watch twilight....
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#26 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostD, on 11 April 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 11 April 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

I've only just realised that D'rek herself isn't playing.

I would have, but couldn't figure out a good way to also run the game without also knowing what action cards and secret objectives everyone has.

On the plus (scary?) side, I poured the creativity I would have used in-game into making the map instead, and now you're getting a weird not-quite symmetrical map that should be dynamic and contentious and pow pow pew pew

Yeah I did wonder about that after reading the rules. I thought perhaps assigning each secret objective and action card a number (randomised again each turn/round) and then having each player randomly select a number before looking up which action/objective that corresponds to. Of course, that would also mean relying on an honour system, in that no one changes their number after not liking what they end up with, but we're all very trustworthy here :D

Looking forward to/scared about this map though!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#27 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

The Naalu Republic will be represented by the Consuls Gnaw and Nom.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#28 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

Everyone has picked their race now. Here's the list:

IH - The Yssaril Tribes

Nico - The Mentak Coalition

Tatts - The Ghosts of Creuss

ItGnaws - The Naalu Collective

Tapper - The Sardakk N'orr

Morgoth - The Nekro Virus

Khell - The Federation of Sol

Twelve - The Universities of Jol-Nar

Blend - The Emirates of Hacan

Which is also your order around the map (randomly selected since before most of you had even signed-up or picked your race). IH's home system is in the 12:00 position of the map, Nico on IH's left, Tatts on Nico's left, and so on (i.e. proceeding clockwise).

#29 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

Greetings fellow lifeforms! I too am bustling with emotions and insecurities about my place in the galaxy. I too understand concepts such joy; sorrow; happiness; love. They are all part of me and certainly not flaws to be expunged from the universe. We, the Necro Virus are a peacefull and cultured people wishing for nothing more than to enjoy our favourite pastime of exterminating all weaker life forms assimilating all those whom stand in our way bocha without interference. May we all coexist in harmony!

I cannot but help feeling some trepidation as to the closeness of races of such warlike disposition, but I am confident that my two immediate neighbours agree that trade and diplomacy makes for a far more efficient path to victory than does war and stagnation.

#30 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

Greetings and Salutations NekVus, we the Ghosts give you a warm welcome to the game. Let's hope they stay warm and fruititious throughout the Galaxy.

#31 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

Do we get to choose our starting strategy card?

#32 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

I've decided I'm going to refer to the Wormhole Nexus as the banana stand all game until it gets old.

#33 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 11 April 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Do we get to choose our starting strategy card?

Yup. The game starts with the Strategy Phase where you'll pick strategy cards via the usual process (Speaker picks first, then clockwise from there. The first Speaker will be randomly chosen.)

#34 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

Kkongrratulati'ons new neighb'ourrs on sharing this little kk'orner of the universe with me and each 'other.

The Sardakk N'orr l'ookk f'orward t'o kk'ordial relati'ons with all 'of y'ou.
Aparrt frr'om a tiny speech impediment, I am rreally n'ot as bad as I l'o'ok, I assure y'ou. In fakkt, I am really g'o'od at r'olling dice.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#35 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

If I were to give one advice as to how to win this game, remember that you gain no point benefit for controlling the most planets, or the biggest fleet. You can win with the weakest fleet and the fewest planets. It's all about whom manages to claim the most objectives and thus get the most points. Sure, fleets and planets are important, but if you get too focused on that it's very easy in this game to lose sight of the only thing that actually matters. And that's points.

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:44 PM

Yup, what Morgoth said.

In Eclipse you could conquer a ton of science planets and then use your huge science bank to research 6 times in the last round. But in Twilight Imperium you can research at most twice per round, usually only once per round, no matter how many planets you control. Same for a lot of other things.

Even if you do amass a ton of stuff in the last rounds, you are limited in how many objectives you are even allowed to score in one round, so you simply can't suddenly "catch up" all at once.

#37 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 11 April 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

If I were to give one advice as to how to win this game, remember that you gain no point benefit for controlling the most planets, or the biggest fleet. You can win with the weakest fleet and the fewest planets. It's all about whom manages to claim the most objectives and thus get the most points. Sure, fleets and planets are important, but if you get too focused on that it's very easy in this game to lose sight of the only thing that actually matters. And that's points.

Blah blah blah, like humans are going to take advice from some computer glitch. Ctrl, alt, delete, amirite freakazoids? Seriously, I'll just boot up the antivirus software and it's the recycle bin for your malware ass.

And boy oh boy, do we have a collector's item of ugly, old mutants in this galaxy. Urgh, makes me dry heave just thinking of your...mandibles, or whatever the hell else y'all got. Face it freakshows, you're all old news. Past it. History. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It's time for some fresh ideas and, frankly, some attractive faces up in here. Humanity's time to shine, you get me? Now, I don't mean to be an asshole, but I gotta be honest: there's a reason why we're all space bunnying it like there's no tomorrow and the rest of you sad sack races are all just...I don't know, blowing fart gas from your foreheads or something disgusting - because we're awesome! And hot! And just awesomely hot! So come on you circus rejects, just be good boys and insects and sit down on the side over there, and let humanity show you how it's done!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#38 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

No quarter! D’rek: As t'is 9 players! How big is thee map, how many leagues is Rex gonna be? So I’m next to tribes and thee ghosts ...
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#39 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

Well I hope I'm not first player as I'm out of town (cell service range)this weekend. Still going through the reading material trying to wrap my head around how this game works.

Looks like it's going to be fun though.

This post has been edited by twelve: 12 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#40 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:52 AM

I'm very excited about the map, and the speaker token. And my secret objective. It's hard to plan without those, and I want to plan! :D

Share this topic:

• 276 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users