• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 2018 speculation Electronic Entertainment Expo

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

I'm bored so I thought I might as well make another early E3 thread this year.

For those who are not familiar, E3 is a yearly video game event that takes place in Los Angeles. It's a video game industry meeting where businesses make deals and come to show off their wares. Over the years it's grown to become the biggest video game publicity event of the year. Several of the biggest hardware makers and publishers do conferences in the days before the event start and it's pretty much the biggest news generator that sets the stage for most of the next years big releases.

E3 2018 starts on June 12th this summer and in the days before the conferences will start. Typically in the days, weeks and even months up to E3 we're going to be seeing announcements, teasers and trailers coming out. Things will start to leak, rumors will abound and hype will be had.

So what are you guys looking forward to? Do you have any predictions? Who will "win" E3 this year?

The thing that continues to be my biggest interest is Microsoft's struggle. I think they have the greatest services but they continue to lack the suit of games needed to turn public sentiment around. From the latest announcements, it sounds like Microsoft are opening new game studios and investing in big games again, but I still think we're a year or two away from Microsoft being able to compete with Sony's line up.

I doubt we'll hear about any big hardware announcements this year. Sony is still selling plenty of Playstation's despite how powerful the X-box One X is. I doubt Nintendo is doing any iterations on the Switch yet. We might see a Playstion VR 2 announcement I guess?

In terms of games I am hoping to hear announced this year, I am looking out for Shadow of the Tomb Raider (which has already leaked is getting a full reveal soon).

I hope Bethesda finally reveals something about those two projects Bethesda Softworks have been working on since releasing Fallout 4. The stuff about one game supposedly being "space elder scrolls" is very sexy. I could also see them doing a Doom 2 (5) teaser

EA has delayed Anthem to next year, but I imagine we will see 20 minutes of gameplay during E3. They cancelled visceral's Star Wars project (still sour about that) but maybe we will see Respawn's Star Wars game? Or Titanfall 3? Hell they might even tease that Open World action game they mention years ago that is meant to compete with Ubisoft and Take Two's open world franchises. Maybe a Dragon Age 4 teaser?

Activision I have no idea about. They have their franchises but I feel like they need to grow something new on the vine. Something to replace Skylanders, Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. Crash Bandicoot collection did amazingly well so we're bound to get a sequel there. There's also rumors of a Spyro collection, so basically we might be seeing an era where Activision starts digging out old IPs from their garbage container vaults, which would be awesome.

Ubisoft has a great line-up for 2018 already but from the rumors we are about to see a Splinter Cell announcement. And of course there is the question of whether Watch_Dogs is now on a 2 year cycle switching with Assassin's Creed... or do we see a AC:Brotherhood like AC release this year?

Outside the big publsher's I'm hoping for news about Borderlands 3, Darksiders 3 and Bioshock 4 and Cyberpunk.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 17 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

#2 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

You pretty much hit all of the things I've considered for the most part. Hoping there will be something about Borderlands 3. Also more about Red Dead Redemption (a nice presentation of game play and maybe demonstrating some new features) and possibly a tease about the next GTA title.

Also, not sure if I agree with you about hardware. This holiday season, it'll be five years since PS4 and Xbox One were released. I'm thinking at this upcoming E3 there might be some info about the next gen consoles. Maybe just a tease, but I think they will want to get consumers thinking about what is coming.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and Destiny 3. BWHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What a joke!

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 17 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

#3 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

I'm very curious to see if EA can announce anything interesting. Their last E3 was literally a snoozefest for me (because I don't like modern warshooters, racing games, or any type of multi-player focus games). If they announce the new Dragon Age and/or some other single-player IP, I might be interested.

Bethesda... well, there's the eternal question of "what is Arkane working on now?". The rumoured Prey DLC is releasing June 10th, so they'll have to bring something new to E3...

Ubi... one title: BG&E2. I want to know more.

The console-makers' conferences are interesting only in a sense of "what interesting non-exclusives will you showcase that will eventually become playable on my Win 7 PC?" (no Win 10 exclusives, please and thank you). So basically, for Sony that amounts to "what's Capcom up to these days?"

-I'd also like to get an update on what's going on with System Shock 3. I know OtherSide is focused on Underworld Ascendant right now, but I'd love to hear more on it regardless. And I'm sure Starbreeze is expecting SOME kind of work to be done on it, if they are publishing it.
-Obsidian will have released Deadfire by then (I think the release date is April?), so it'd be a good time to let us know what's next.
-obligatory "pleeeeease make a new Legacy of Kain game, Squeeenix"
-more realistically, Squeeenix has both Eidos Montreal AND Crystal Dynamics plugging away on the Marvel Project, so I'd like to hear more on that.
-Speaking of superheroes: it's high time we heard from Rocksteady again. Arkham Knight was 3 year ago now, I'm sure they've been making... something since. Mebbe we'll see it @ M$oft's conference?
-likewise, Dontnod wil be releasing Vampyr in June. They might confirm they're working on "Life is Strange 2" (since that was a big success for them), but i'm hoping they'll announce some other big SP game.
-There'll probably be another "PC Gaming Show", which will announce some cool stuff I will never find time to play
-Also I'm expecting gameplay footage from new new Tomb Raider. I'm guessing at M$oft's conference, but maybe Squeeenix'll jump ship to Sony?

Re: Darksiders 3: it's listed as "coming soon" on GOG (and so is Biomutant). both are published by THQ Nordic, and I'm not sure how much $$$ they'll spend to promote these games (that's if they aren't released in the spring). Especially given that Nordic recently bought Techland Deep Silver, so they'll definitely be showcasing some gameplay footage from Metro: Exodus (which has a September release date, iirc)

The games I would absolutely love to hear anything more on: Greedfall, Call of Cthulhu, Werewolf: the Apocalypse. EDIT: and the paranoia RPG

Keep in mind, There's still GDC next week, so it's possible we'll get some interesting game announcements/previews there.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 17 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

@ Kazooie - I can't see Rockstar doing anything at E3. They haven't attended the show in recent memory. Then again, they keep delaying Red Dead 3 and it comes out in the fall so they need some publicity. Only way I really see them being there is if they've been working on a smaller project that they think actually needs E3's spotlight.

As for the hardware, I think like last generation, they prefer to stretch the cycles as far as possible. This whole pro and S and X business has sort of thrown the traditional schedule out of the window, but I think now that they both have semi-4K capable consoles and appear to be selling well, they don't need to do anything before say... 2020. That would fit the last generation. On the other hand Microsoft did start an arms race with the XB1X so maybe Sony feels they need to release something to one up Microsoft. Not necessarily the next generation. Just this generation and 3/4ths.

@ Ment - I can see Ubisoft showing something new about Beyond Good and Evil but they had only just started the project last E3 and given the scope of what they showed, I'd imagine BG&E2 is a 2020 game. It's more of a fan pleaser then a priority I think the next two years.

Would be cool to see something about Squenix Marvel Heroes AAA game. I feel like there was some rumors about a Legacy of Kain project last year but they've begun and cancelled that series so many times now.

As for the rest of the middle tier potential I worry about Vampyr but it seems like it could be something like a mix between Dishonored and Sherlock Holmes. Call of Chuthulu looked very interesting. I love the idea of an RPG upgrade tree for investigations and conversations, instead of a combat focused system. Looks very different. Biomutant I really wonder about. I seems weirdly ambitious but I have a feeling it will be janky as all hell.

@ Briar - Has there been any rumors about a year one collection of DLC for Destiny 2 like the first game? Seems like Destiny 2 was better received but it also seems like it's just not meaty enough.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 17 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 17 March 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

@ Kazooie - I can't see Rockstar doing anything at E3. They haven't attended the show in recent memory. Then again, they keep delaying Red Dead 3 and it comes out in the fall so they need some publicity. Only way I really see them being there is if they've been working on a smaller project that they think actually needs E3's spotlight.

As for the hardware, I think like last generation, they prefer to stretch the cycles as far as possible. This whole pro and S and X business has sort of thrown the traditional schedule out of the window, but I think now that they both have semi-4K capable consoles and appear to be selling well, they don't need to do anything before say... 2020. That would fit the last generation. On the other hand Microsoft did start an arms race with the XB1X so maybe Sony feels they need to release something to one up Microsoft. Not necessarily the next generation. Just this generation and 3/4ths.

@ Ment - I can see Ubisoft showing something new about Beyond Good and Evil but they had only just started the project last E3 and given the scope of what they showed, I'd imagine BG&E2 is a 2020 game. It's more of a fan pleaser then a priority I think the next two years.

Would be cool to see something about Squenix Marvel Heroes AAA game. I feel like there was some rumors about a Legacy of Kain project last year but they've begun and cancelled that series so many times now.

As for the rest of the middle tier potential I worry about Vampyr but it seems like it could be something like a mix between Dishonored and Sherlock Holmes. Call of Chuthulu looked very interesting. I love the idea of an RPG upgrade tree for investigations and conversations, instead of a combat focused system. Looks very different. Biomutant I really wonder about. I seems weirdly ambitious but I have a feeling it will be janky as all hell.

@ Briar - Has there been any rumors about a year one collection of DLC for Destiny 2 like the first game? Seems like Destiny 2 was better received but it also seems like it's just not meaty enough.

oh, I'm obviously not expecting them to give us a release date or anything. But I'd like to have a better idea of what the game will be like. They are running some kind of social campaign with it, where they are supposed to be "collecting fan feedback" (which I'm not participating in, b/c I don't care t that much), so i'm expecting them to show something

re: LoK. Yeah, so far we've had 2 cancelled games ("Dead Sun" being the last one), and that multiplayer spin-off "Nosgoth". It's really just a beautiful dream at this point in time.
edit: there's actually been TEN cancelled LoK games, apparently. Talk about a troubled series... /edit

Vampyr will be inevitably compared to "Bloodlines", just like every other vampire RPG ever made. I haven't watched the dev diaries, but my perception from what I have seen is that it's less about being an "epic" vampire RPG story, and more about being a small-scope, high replayability, where things will change drastically based on who you decide to kill/help. Which basically sounds like Alpha Protocol with vampires- a fairly small overall story, but with LOADs of possible permutations regarding how you get to the similar endings. As long as they market that correctly, I think it should do fine.

re: investigation mechanics-RPG: that "Disco Elysium" game is focusing its skills on that type of stuff too. If you look @ their trailer, they have 2 skill trees for "Intellect" and "Psyche". That one's a more old-school isometric game though. (Which reminds me: I REALLY need to get back to Numenera....)

Biomutant is made by ex-Avalanche developers (Just Cause, Mad Max), so they should know how to make open worlds. A lot will depend on how well they pull off the style. Also, they are trying to be Bastion-like with that omnipresent narrator, so it'll be interesting if they can pull it off.

EDIT: hmm, yeah, Cyberpunk 2077 would be nice to hear about, but at this point I don't really need to hear about it. I'm pretty sure I'll buy whatever CDPRED sells, as long as there's no microtransactions, and I can play the game in SP without ever needing to interact online. I'll buy it when it's done. Whatever news we hear before that would just be a pleasant surprise.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 17 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

#6 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

Borderlands 3.

That’s it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostBachelorluver, on 17 March 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

I’ve not heard of anything yet and really stopped following news since I started Monster Hunter this past month. Only thing I’m aware of at present is the DLC 2 in May which will leave 4 months remaining in yr 1. No clue if a TTK type update will hit before yr 2. I would assume that they will sell disc or bundles of everything come May for a few $ cheaper just like D1.

They'll be releasing a TTK style major expansion in September, so it's pretty possible that will be revealed at E3. But as you say, Destiny 2 is suffering from major problems, and their player base has fallen off a cliff.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#8 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

CDPRED President in an investor call said they'll be announcing what they bring to E3 right before E3 itself. (Link in the cyberpunk thread)

I'm expecting more Gwent stuff, and not really any info on Cyberpunk 2077.

Also, @ Apt: on the topic of investigation/Cthulhu games: Frogwares (the team making all those Sherlock Holmes games) are working on a game called "The Sinking City". Might be worth checking that out.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 23 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

I hadn't actually heard anything about Sinking City before, despite loving their Sherlock Holmes games, but a new development blog/gameplay trailer for The Sinking City popped up on reddit a few days ago:

and there was this trailer that came out a while ago I think:

Like Vampyr and Call of Cthulhu I think the game looks super ambitious for a less prestigeous publisher and development house. But I also think that is what worries me. Paying attention, everything looks state of the art but there's this roughness to it. Like it's faux-AAA. Some of The Sinking City's footage looks like a Fallout 4 mod. Competent art assets but lacking expertise and polish.

#10 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

Focus Home Interactive is quickly becoming a publisher I'm most curious about. They are putting out a lot of interesting-looking stuff, even if it's not usually spectacular AAA quality.

#11 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

Some "top-secret" studio @ 2K is working on a new Bioshock, according to Kotaku.

And PC Gamer collated a few "hints" from Ubisoft's recent social media, suggesting Watch Dogs 3 might be in development.

So that's two more potential announcements.

EA and Bioware are making all kinds of apologetic PR statements... yawn.
I really, really don't care about "Anthem" (anything multiplayer is an insta-"no" for me), so I'm expecting zero interesting things fro EA this time around

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 17 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

#12 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

Bethesda is supposed to have a major announcement that is not Elder Scrolls or Fallout related.

Todd Howard is going to wow the crowd with revelations about a new game built on a brand new engine that will wow the most unfaithful, skeptical and downright unbelieving amoungst the unwashed masses in the crowd. The converted will then rise in unison with the faithful, and clap and cheer until Todd puts a stop to it and continues with his presentation.

Or, I imagine it going to begin something like that.

#13 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

Bethesda is supposed to have a major announcement that is not Elder Scrolls or Fallout related.

Todd Howard is going to wow the crowd with revelations about a new game built on a brand new engine that will wow the most unfaithful, skeptical and downright unbelieving amoungst the unwashed masses in the crowd. The converted will then rise in unison with the faithful, and clap and cheer until Todd puts a stop to it and continues with his presentation.

Bethesda Softworks is supposedly working on a space IP.
New engine? I'll believe it when I see it.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostMentalist, on 17 April 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Some "top-secret" studio @ 2K is working on a new Bioshock, according to Kotaku.

And PC Gamer collated a few "hints" from Ubisoft's recent social media, suggesting Watch Dogs 3 might be in development.

So that's two more potential announcements.

EA and Bioware are making all kinds of apologetic PR statements... yawn.
I really, really don't care about "Anthem" (anything multiplayer is an insta-"no" for me), so I'm expecting zero interesting things fro EA this time around

That Bioshock is in development is no surprise but I was assuming it had been development for a long time before Mafia 3 came out. I guess we might see something at E3. Hopefully we also get some Borderlands info from Gearbox/2K.

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

The cool thing about Bethesda is their new resolution to only reveal or talk about games when they're relatively close to release. I hope we get a Starfield reveal at E3 and a release in October/November. Supposedly it's been described as Elder Scolls in Space but that might just be meaningless marketing spin. The big question is what their other new project is.

#15 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

CroTeam released a teaser for Serious Sam 4. More info to come at E3.

All we know is, it won't be set in Egypt this time.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Saw it. It was a short teaser but pretty much anything from CroTeam makes me excited.

I didn't really like Serious Sam 3 that much. I think I never finished it because the difficulty, mostly a side effect of the health system, became stupid. But I love the spirit of the Serious Sam games. They're just dumb fun. Hopefully the new one is less Call of Duty and more 90s "run backwards and dump".

Here's the trailer by the way_

#17 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

I very much hope for something, anything, by From Software
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#18 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 April 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

Saw it. It was a short teaser but pretty much anything from CroTeam makes me excited.

I didn't really like Serious Sam 3 that much. I think I never finished it because the difficulty, mostly a side effect of the health system, became stupid. But I love the spirit of the Serious Sam games. They're just dumb fun. Hopefully the new one is less Call of Duty and more 90s "run backwards and dump".

Here's the trailer by the way_

I still find it so hard to believe that this is the same developer which made The Talos Principle.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

hmmm> You know what could be a real win for Microsoft?

If they could convince Rockstar to make the Xbox version of RDR remastered and RDR2 "play anywhere" titles.

THAT might actually convince me to upgrade to Win 10.

#20 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Seems there might be more regarding The Last of Us Part II at E3 this year!

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 05 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic