• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 2018 speculation Electronic Entertainment Expo

#41 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

Looks like a Rage teaser went up too early and got taken down.

Here's a mirror.

https://my.mixtape.moe/feslms.mp4

Looks a bit too irreverent for my liking. Feels like they are given Rage 1 the Watchdogs 2 or Sunset Overdrive treatment. Not necissarily a bad idea, apocalyptic wastelands are a dime a dozen but still. It wasn't the setting that was Rage's problem. It was the story and pacing.

What ever, if the combat feels as good as the first one they can do what ever they want.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 14 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

#42 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

Wow, that was really horrible. Maybe there's more to show and this was just the "warm up"?

Or maybe they're just getting this out of the way (make the ad team who worked on it feel good) and hope that everyone forgets about it by the time E3 rolls around. I dunno. I'm really confused by this now.

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

It's a AAA game that cost tens of millions of dollars. They're not pushing the marketing campaign before E3 because they want you to forget about. Rather the push signifies that they actually believe in the product.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 14 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

#44 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Oh, wow. That "teaser" was... yeah, I dunno.

Granted, I haven't played the original (yet), but this feels like it's channeling Borderlands.

Apparently, the original Rage was overlooked, because b/c Borderlands came out earlier. And now both Rage and BL3 are slated for release in 2019, so I'm guessing they are trying to one-up BL's tone.

Could be interesting, I suppose.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

Borderlands was popular but that wasn't the reason why Rage bombed. id before Rage still had a lot of good will. They're the makers of DOOM, Quake and Wolfenstein. They make rock solid shooters.

Rage just wasn't a very good when it ventured outside id's comfort zone of shooting thing and making things go boom. The story was terrible to non-existent. The game doesn't really have an ending. The RPG mechanics were paper thin and mostly just consisted of some crafting mechanics. The driving was pointless. It was a game that should have just been a level based shooter but for some reason became a sort of open world hub based game that made you repeat the same areas over and over.

It also had problems with its mega-textures, they baked in the whole world and it made the game look pretty but also made the game run like ass on a lot of machines.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 14 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

#46 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

Ok. I was right. There is more. According to the Bethesda twitter there will be a game play reveal tomorrow (May 15). That is smart of them, and hopefully planned and not something they are doing in "emergency/damage control mode" to counter that horrible teaser video. That was baaaaaaaaaaad.

Also, doing some more searching on my own, I found out the studio who worked on Mad Max participated in this. Although I never played Mad Max, from what I saw it looked pretty slick. I don't think it was received all that great though, only getting average reviews. I think it was offered free on one of the consoles. I should have grabbed it but it got past me, dammit!

#47 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

The game is now listed on Bethesda's site:

http://bethesda.net/en/game/rage2

A fully-open-world FPS.

Avalanche (the devs behind Just Cause) are listed as "in association" dev- which ideally means they are contributing their expertise on blowing up stuff, and making a packed open world.

I'm still iffy on the punky aesthetic, but could be interesting.

Edit: Gameplay trailer now available

http://youtu.be/0rQMytyBFeA

Not surprisingly, the protagonist has "nanotrite powers"- basically force-push, and force-slam to go alongside the shooting. Looks very Dishonored-like

Sounds like Beth (as a publisher) is trying to corner every aspect of the "shooter with powers" genre- only now we also have Id doing the guns, and Avalanche doing open world, car combat, and keraaaazy punk tone.

It sounds like it could be a good mash worth checking out. I'm intrigued.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 15 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

#48 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

Gameplay trailer is up!

Now this is change you can believe in! This looks phenomenal. id combined with Avalanche might not be such a bad thing.

And given Bethesda's current marketing strategy this should be out before the holidays. This is looking to be another great year for games.

EDIT: Ah you beat me to it ment with that sneaky edit. This video is embedded though so :killingme:

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 15 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

#49 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

I am constantly failing @ embedding stuff with my phone.

But yeah, feels like another year to make my wallet cry, and my backlog won't be getting much smaller.

And another stealth edit:

https://bethesda.net...ameplay-trailer

Beth's press release:

Mankind is in peril. In the decades following an asteroid’s devastation, most of the earth has become an unforgiving wildland where bloodthirsty factions vie for control of precious resources. Pockets of civilization have emerged to claim their space in the world, but the tentative peace they’ve established is being threatened. RAGE 2 follows Walker, the last Ranger of Vineland, as he fights to survive the chaos of the dystopian world into which he was born. With a wide array of weapons, vehicles and strange powers, Walker sets off to take down the tyrannical Authority. Get your first look at the insane action in the worldwide gameplay reveal trailer below and check out the live action teaser released on May 14 here. RAGE 2 will be launching on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC in 2019.
The Open-World Shooterverse
It’s the perfect mix: id Software’s first-person shooter pedigree, Avalanche Studios’ mastery of the open world sandbox, with a healthy dose of pedal-to-the-metal vehicle combat. From the swamplands and jungles where enemies lurk among the dense foliage, to the open deserts where a passing car is more likely to mow you down than offer you a ride, the world of RAGE 2 is not a gentle, nurturing place. The people who have survived in this landscape have had to learn to protect themselves and keep their heads on a swivel, especially with the reemergence of a familiar menace.

As if the gangs and mutants aren’t enough, Walker also has to contend with the Authority, returning antagonists from the first game who threaten anything good remaining in the world. Led by General Cross, the Authority is on a renewed mission to hunt down the few remaining pureblood Arkists left in the world, and Cross is willing to slaughter everyone to achieve his goals. That’s where Walker’s wealth of unique guns and gear comes in – and he’ll need every one of his powerful weapons to defend the wild wasteland he calls home.
Walker, Vineland Ranger
A Ranger’s arsenal isn’t limited to the abundance of upgradeable weapons and toys at their disposal. Fueled by Arkist blood, these elite fighters are the only people in the world who can harness special Nanotrite abilities. However, this blood has also made them a target for the Authority, and after years of fighting, Walker is the only Ranger still standing.

Among the arrows he can choose from his Nanotrite ability quiver are the power to crush enemies into paste from above in a devastating slam attack or send them flying away from him with a lethal energy push. Walker will also learn to channel these Nanotrites into his weapons, pushing them into an awe-inspiring Overdrive, a unique skill that lets him push his guns beyond their limits and unleash absolute hell on his foes. Chain these abilities together to make Walker a powerhouse of destruction, quickly refilling his Overdrive meter. While in Overdrive, Walker’s guns do more damage, they gain new attributes, enemies drop better rewards and Walker’s health starts to regenerate. When timed correctly, Overdrive is more than enough to tip the scales in a tricky fight.

More to come @ E3, obviously, but yeah, this definitely sounds like Beth pulled another Prey. But as long as Avalanche and Id gel well, the end product should still be decent.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 15 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

#50 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

Possibly no. Beth kinda doubled down on making SP-only games (which makes them pretty unique, actually)

#51 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

See, now that game play video reverses the damage of that goofy and horrible teaser.

I wonder if Rage 2 will have anything at all to connect it to Rage (other then the post apocalyptic, mad max type world). I can't remember much about the story from Rage, except I remember John Goodman was a voice actor. I may have to look up a "Let's Play'" on YouTube to jostle my memory about what was going on. Hell, since I never finished it, I may have to try and find it cheap somewhere and play it to completion(probably not though).

#52 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Check out Mentalists quote above, it outlines the games premise and story.

#53 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

People can fly (the Polish devs behind Painkiller and Bulletstorm) are apparently working on a new FPS, to be published by Squeeenix. Maybe we'll hear about it in their conference?

I'm pretty sure some of those ex-Painkiller guys are also working on Witchfire, which is another "shooter with powers" game (which is also smth I'd like to see more of, actually)

#54 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 May 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

SquareEnix is getting in on some Destiny thunder?

Can probably count me in. Love them.

Probably not Destiny-like. PCF are into VERY old-school run and gun shooters.

#55 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 13 May 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

Also saw some speculation on Shadows Die Twice on ResetEra, From Software's new game. Supposedly an insider has stated it's not a new souls/blood-like game but rather a new kind of game that harkens back to some of their older titles. What ever that means.

Going back to this earlier point, somewhere on youtube (I think whatculturegaming), I heard speculation that this quote "shadows die twice" is a direct reference to a line from a Tenchu boss. Suggesting that From's next work will be less of a souls-like and smth more stealth-action oriented.

#56 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

As expected, more Metro Exodus gameplay @ E3.

Also, the game is delayed until Q1 2019.

http://www.pcgamer.c...elayed-to-2019/

While I whole-heartedly approve of the "release the game when it's done" policy, my more cynical side is wondering, "how many more AAA titles will suddenly "slip" their release dates to avoid overlapping with RDR2?"

In any case, assuming Biomutant and Darksiders III might likewise become delayed (THQ Nordic hasn't decided when to release them yet, according to its earning report), that basically leaves Vampyr as the only really interesting 2018 game. Which is good news for my backlog, at least.

#57 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

The fact that Biomutant and Darksiders weren't slated for an E3 appearance "because of the world cup" seemed like a pretty transparent way of saying "games aren't ready yet".

I don't have great expectations for Vampyr but I am interested. I am worried it's going to be more Remember Me and less Life is Strange in terms of quality and fun.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 16 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

#58 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 16 May 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

The fact that Biomutant and Darksiders weren't slated for an E3 appearance "because of the world cup" seemed like a pretty transparent way of saying "games aren't ready yet".

I don't have great expectations for Vampyr but I am interested. I am worried it's going to be more Remember Me and less Life is Strange in terms of quality and fun.

I liked Remember Me, and have no interest in Life is Strange (teenage drama adventure games aren't my thing; I still vividly recall my own awkward teenage years and I don't need games to remind me of that part of my life anymore), so I'm the opposite? Lol.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 16 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

#59 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

I would have agreed with you right up until I tried those two games.

Rememebr Me seemed disjointed and had a terrible overly convuluted combat system, where as Life is Strange charmed me with the dialogue and ridiculous attention to detail. Just the use of music alone was spectacularly utulized to set the mood. I guess there's a 17 year old American highschool girl inside of me that just really grooved with that game.

#60 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

I second Apt. Life is Strange was terrific (I played the entire thing with a friend in one all-day long sitting, we were so hooked). It also showed just far behind the curve Telltale games have fallen.

I'm looking forward to Vampyr quite a bit. I like how Dontnod seem to be trying their hands at something different each time.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users