Malazan Empire: Star Wars Anthology films next up (Rogue Squadron) - Malazan Empire

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars Anthology films next up (Rogue Squadron) Non Skywalker saga films

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 09 April 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

So... is that the super laser being put into the death star or is that thing genuinely like retractable.

Also @@'s!

It's the dish being installed. In ROTS you can see the supersructure skeleton, but no laser dish yet.

Fun sidebar: That Star Destroyer, is one of the original models from the OT refubished and reused.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Star Destroyers are hands down my fav ships ever! I had a model and you bet I used to be the Capt wreaking havoc with its 64 turbolasers turrets, 6 squadrons of Tie fighters, 6 AT ATs, and a crew 37K strong at imaginary things. I wish I had had a Super SD.

I always thought that the 37k crew size was a bit....over the top. The ship is big, yes, but it's not so big that it would require 37 friggin thousand crewmembers. 3700 sounds a bit more reasonable to me.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 10 April 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

Star Destroyers are hands down my fav ships ever! I had a model and you bet I used to be the Capt wreaking havoc with its 64 turbolasers turrets, 6 squadrons of Tie fighters, 6 AT ATs, and a crew 37K strong at imaginary things. I wish I had had a Super SD.

I always thought that the 37k crew size was a bit....over the top. The ship is big, yes, but it's not so big that it would require 37 friggin thousand crewmembers. 3700 sounds a bit more reasonable to me.

Compare the size and crew to a US Carrier.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

20,000 of that crew could be a sentient rodent sized tube dwelling species.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:09 AM

This is why I continually raise the question of why the capital ships aren't droids. There's no reason for that many people to be on a battle-purposed ship in a tech advanced setting like Star Wars.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:10 AM

Each one does carry a complete army base and it's complement of Imperial Army mechanisms and troops which is sizeable.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 11 April 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

Each one does carry a complete army base and it's complement of Imperial Army mechanisms and troops which is sizeable.

Fort Bragg has that many people. It's ludicrous because soldiers doing nothing in space for what might be years on end is dumb, but hey, Star Wars.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 11 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:26 AM

View Postamphibian, on 11 April 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

This is why I continually raise the question of why the capital ships aren't droids. There's no reason for that many people to be on a battle-purposed ship in a tech advanced setting like Star Wars.

Because AI is a crapshoot?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#29 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:08 AM

The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier has a crew complement of roughly 6000 I believe. And you serve for long periods at a time. There was a this american life episode about life on a carrier actually, it was pretty interesting. One woman's entire job was to refill vending machines.

At any rate, if a ship was to fulfill the role of an entire carrier group, and as an army base at the same time, 37 000 sounds pretty workable.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#30 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostBriar King, on 11 April 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

The SSD has 200+K on the 8 mile long ships. Idk how many for the 16 mile long ones.

The biggest SSD, Vader's Executor, was 19 km long with a crew complement of 280k. It could carry 3 IM-455 modular garrisons, each with personnel count around 3000.

So, if one Star Destroyer carries one of these, that's an extra 3000 people on the already 37085 strong crew complement. Maybe the 3k is a part of the 37k, I'm not sure, the wiki is vague on this area. But aside from the full complement the SD can carry an extra 10k-ish passengers.

It does say that an Imp Deuce Star Destroyer minimum crew complement is 5000.

In comparison, the more recent Nimitz class carriers have a crew complement around 3200. I'm pretty sure it could do with far less than that. The woman who only refilled vending machines doesn't seem all that important in the grand scheme of things.

/nerd

#31 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:26 PM

Someone needs to, and there were a lot of them onboard. It's surprising how many such jobs turn out to be vital. Or maybe it's entierly superflous. I don't know much about military life, or life on a ship.

#32 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 11 April 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

Someone needs to, and there were a lot of them onboard. It's surprising how many such jobs turn out to be vital. Or maybe it's entierly superflous. I don't know much about military life, or life on a ship.

Sure, sometimes certain jobs are more important than they might seem. But I'm talking about the bare essential crew complement neccessary for the actual operation of the ship. I can't imagine vending machines being anything more than a luxury, ie. nice to have, but not really needed.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

I'm just going to leave this here.

Note the coy smile and "I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss that really" moment.

Basically, I really want them to make one of the Anthology films be about Obi-Wan between EpIII and EpIV....and it should be Yojimbo-esque. I'd much rather see this flick happen than the young Han Solo film personally.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#34 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 April 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

I'm just going to leave this here.

Note the coy smile and "I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss that really" moment.

Basically, I really want them to make one of the Anthology films be about Obi-Wan between EpIII and EpIV....and it should be Yojimbo-esque. I'd much rather see this flick happen than the young Han Solo film personally.

Because you know exactly what sort of film a young Han Solo film will be, and it will not be great.

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 May 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Because you know exactly what sort of film a young Han Solo film will be, and it will not be great.

Yup. There's really nothing to mine there that we don't already kind of know.

#36 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

Young Han Solo would be like a cross between Star Trek Academy meets Hogwarts. With the crappiest parts of both.

Plus Space Nazis. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#37 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Welp. Looks like Alden Ehrenreich is in line to play young Solo.

http://www.ign.com/a...as-new-han-solo
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#38 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:26 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 May 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Yea I so don't care about this Solo film one bit that I almost feel guilty of not being a true SW fan.

You've always been a trekkie at heart.

#39 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

Uh-oh ... ? :(

http://www.news.com....baa60d845ecbff6

Disney execs in a panic over next Star Wars film
MAY 31, 20164:16PM

Emily Smith
New York Post
THE first Star Wars spin-off, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, is in crisis, and the movie will have to go into expensive reshoots over the summer.
The much-anticipated Rogue One is due for release on Dec. 16, but sources have confirmed to Page Six that bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.
One Hollywood source told Page Six, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and Rogue One will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July.”

The movie stars Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, Ben Mendelsohn, Forest Whitaker and Diego Luna. The Star Wars franchise’s first spin-off film will take us back in time to a point between Episodes III and IV. The plot reportedly sees resistance fighters embark on a daring mission to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor’s cruel rule.
There has been much speculation that the movie will take a darker turn and Darth Vader will appear as the Emperor’s chief enforcer. It is also believed that a young Han Solo will make a cameo appearance. Page Six exclusively revealed earlier this month that Alden Ehrenreich has landed the coveted part to play the young Solo, a role made famous by Harrison Ford.

It was announced earlier this month that Edwards would not direct Godzilla 2 later this year, and would instead “focus on smaller films.” But the movie insider told Page Six, “Gareth’s work on the first Godzilla [which came out in 2014] shows he can handle a big studio blockbuster. But Rogue One has fallen short of what J.J. Abrams did with Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens. So Disney has ordered reshoots.”
Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.”
Reps for Edwards didn’t get back to Page Six.

A Disney source added, “The filmmaking team and the studio always anticipated additional shooting and second unit work to make the film the absolute best it can be, and the actors were aware there would be additional shooting. Coming off The Force Awakens, there’s an incredibly high bar for this movie and we have a responsibility to the franchise and to the fans to deliver the best possible movie we can.”

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 31 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

Translation: needs more action figure sales, get me some Ewoks and attractive male leads, and a donut!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users