• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Recent Netflix series

#21 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• House Knight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:53 AM

Dark is amazing !

Take lots of notes though. Just went through my second rewatch and prolly one of my fav dystopian types of shows.

Like a really long episode of outer limits
Nico has left building

#22 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

So yeah, Dark:

As someone who has a weakness for plot over characterisation, it hits all the right notes - although the characterisation is pretty good too. I'd say it was impeccably cast too; the older/younger versions of everyone are absolutely spot on, and even the child actors have enough resemblance to the adults playing their parents. And the time travel nuttiness is in full effect as there are at least three or four bootstrap paradoxes in evidence:
Spoiler

After the wtf?ending of season 2, I'm more than intrigued to see what happens next - and I definitely want to know
Spoiler

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#23 User is offline   paran falcon 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 09 July 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

So yeah, Dark:

As someone who has a weakness for plot over characterisation, it hits all the right notes - although the characterisation is pretty good too. I'd say it was impeccably cast too; the older/younger versions of everyone are absolutely spot on, and even the child actors have enough resemblance to the adults playing their parents. And the time travel nuttiness is in full effect as there are at least three or four bootstrap paradoxes in evidence:
Spoiler

Spoiler

After the wtf?ending of season 2, I'm more than intrigued to see what happens next - and I definitely want to know
Spoiler

Spoiler

My daughter actually started a 3 ring binder with notes, theories and questions related to this show. Lists of things that happen in every year visited so far, etc. There's a lot in it already! Posted Image

#24 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

But the single most important question of all remains; what actually happened to Wöller's eye? Will we ever know?
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#25 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

I'm just now on Season 2, Episode 2.

It's been amazingly entertaining. I love how they incorporate the PBS type dialogue about Black Holes in the background at times.

I loved The OA.

I loved Stranger Things, but not as much as the others I mention.

I love Sense8. I want a Riley Blue of my very own.

The Magicians is hands down the greatest series ever. (GoTsis a given and doesn't count.)

Good Omens on Amazon Prime I believe, is terribly entertaining. Michael Sheen and David Tennant are superb and make the show, IMO.

American Gods is good, although I haven't watched Season 2, yet.

The Umbrella Academy was very decent.

Altered Carbon is good.

I haven't watched Counterpart.

But back to the topic at hand. Dark definitely kept my noodle spinning to keep up. I have extremely high hopes that Season 2 will be great, but I'm afraid I'll let myself down if I don't temper my expectations.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#26 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

As far as to Dub or not to Dub, I always refer back to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. You MUST watch it in its original language with English( or your language preference) subtitles.

If you watch it Dubbed in English it's nowhere near the same movie, nor as great as it deserves to be.

Never Dub....for the most part. I can't even think of a counter argument.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#27 User is offline   paran falcon 

• First Sword

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:31 AM

View PostBrujah, on 13 July 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

I'm just now on Season 2, Episode 2

But back to the topic at hand. Dark definitely kept my noodle spinning to keep up. I have extremely high hopes that Season 2 will be great, but I'm afraid I'll let myself down if I don't temper my expectations.

In my honest opinion, you do NOT need to temper at all.

#28 User is online   Not a Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

I ll get back to it in a few days.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#29 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

Was on Season 2, Episode 2 about 9 hours ago.

Just finished Season 2. Binged it all the way.

Spoiler

- Maynard James Keenan

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:59 PM

Few things:

First time Ulrich 3 turns around I let out an audible gasp.

I loved the S2 finale.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:27 PM

Dark is my favorite viewing of the summer. The ending was a bit of deus ex machina, yet it still makes some sense.

#32 User is online   Not a Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

Just finished.

Neat stuff.

#33 User is online   Not a Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

S3 will be the last. Ya know I hate time travel shit. When I see time travel like in this big piece of shit movie I recently watched I just start shutting down because it’s usually just lazy storytelling. This show was beyond a step above with its time travel though. Pretty fucking brilliant actually.

Fuck I hate time travel bullshit.

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

I'm trying to avoid spoilers on thread for the rest of S2, but I blitzed through Season 1 (probably faster than I've binged ANYTHING in my life so far) and I was utterly blown away with how incredible this show is. My gods.

Now I'm on ep 2 of S2 and it's getting even better!

Man, a part of me feels stupid for not getting on board before now and a part of me is glad I didn't since I was able to go right from S1 into S2 without waiting (And did everyone hear that the 3rd [and final] season, which I heard was always the plan, is shooting right now?!).

Side chatter: I NEED Season 1 Jonas's yellow jacket. My gods. I was on the props reddit for DARK and the costume designer responded that it was custom-made for the show when a ton of other people asked about it, but that there are allegories out there that she based it on...now I just gotta find something similar for a reasonable price. But I want that fucking COAT!

Speaking of his coat, some of the tonal/design allegories on this show are so subtle and fantastic...like Jonas in 2052 wearing the radiation suit with yellow outside and dark inside...that's some next fucking level foreshadowing from Season 1!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#35 User is offline   paran falcon 

• First Sword

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 August 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers on thread for the rest of S2, but I blitzed through Season 1 (probably faster than I've binged ANYTHING in my life so far) and I was utterly blown away with how incredible this show is. My gods.

Now I'm on ep 2 of S2 and it's getting even better!

Man, a part of me feels stupid for not getting on board before now and a part of me is glad I didn't since I was able to go right from S1 into S2 without waiting (And did everyone hear that the 3rd [and final] season, which I heard was always the plan, is shooting right now?!).

Side chatter: I NEED Season 1 Jonas's yellow jacket. My gods. I was on the props reddit for DARK and the costume designer responded that it was custom-made for the show when a ton of other people asked about it, but that there are allegories out there that she based it on...now I just gotta find something similar for a reasonable price. But I want that fucking COAT!

Speaking of his coat, some of the tonal/design allegories on this show are so subtle and fantastic...like Jonas in 2052 wearing the radiation suit with yellow outside and dark inside...that's some next fucking level foreshadowing from Season 1!

Definitely avoid the spoiler tags until you're done with S2. Then join in and discuss your theories! Being able to binge 1 & 2 straight through is a huge bonus. We watched both seasons straight through AFTER we reviewed the last few of S1 and then S2 when it dropped. And even then it was riveting. The writers/showrunners seem to have this plotted out meticulously.

That funny that you mention Jonas' raincoat. My daughter went online hunting for one when we finished S2. I think she did find one somewhere obscure but it was not cheap. (Like somewhere between $80 and $130 if my hazy brain recalls correctly.) I myself would really like to get my hands on one of those lights!

We read that S3 will be the final one. I think that may be perfect. There's nothing worse than a show that runs too long. There is a lot to cover though...

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 26 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

I need to know who did casting on this show. They deserve every award ever. The young, middle, and old versions of everyone are so beyond spot on...like fuck...how do people that look so similar in different age categories exist outside familial groups in the German acting community. If you told me, for example, that like Old Lady Claudia and Young Kid Claudia were a part of the same family, I'd believe you.

Also, can we talk about the soundtrack? Man, I found a sweet ass playlist on Spotify of it and I love it...also, anyone notice that the "non-score song" that seems to play over footage in each and every episode starts at around the 33 minute mark...there is a different song in every episode late in the ep...and I just noticed it starts at around that time interval every ep. I mean....my gods...the forethought that must have gone into that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

Finished Season 2 last night. Man, this show is simply incredible throughout. I can't think of any episodes that had any lacklustre aspects to them. And I loved the S2 ending.

Now, the long wait till Season 3 (likely next summer?).

Goddamn this is one of the best shows of this type I've watched in a long time.

#38 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

I found and bought a close copy of Jonas’ coat! The inside of the hood is a grey (instead of dark blue), but the yellow and blue on the detailing is SO spot on for the rest of the look.

For the curious: https://oldnavy.gapc...1&pid=452613003

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

Finished the last episode of season 2 this morning.

What a frustrating finale! I'll echo the above praise and say this is some of the best television I've seen in ages.

I love timetravel stories when they get stupidly convoluted. I am starting to get a bit frustrated by the "locked in" time loop, things happening because they already happened, people doing what they need to do because they already happened, etc.

Better put this in a spoiler box for Season 1 and 2:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 22 April 2020 - 10:28 AM

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

Season 3 trailer!

Gods, this looks so dope...also, more new characters? My head gone explode.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users