• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winter Olympics 2018

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

The short form ice elemental summoning was disappointing as usual, but i'm looking forward to the long form. Something about the increased risk of the elementals breaking free and devouring their summoners really ups the stakes.
Aside from the Jamaican team... i cannot believe they even sent a team after placing last/dead in two successive Winter Olympics. It's like they're not even trying.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 February 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Also the weather is brutal on the slopestyle. I figure if you can finish the course you've got a shot at a medal!

The women's slopestyle was a gong show. They really should have rescheduled.

They were in a way lucky the weather was so bad that women weren't even trying the hardest tricks. A little more borderline and they could have killed someone. Instead they all basically rode to survive and still only about 8 of the people managed to complete 1 run out of 2 without falling.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

View PostNevyn, on 12 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

Also the weather is brutal on the slopestyle. I figure if you can finish the course you've got a shot at a medal!

They were in a way lucky the weather was so bad that women weren't even trying the hardest tricks. A little more borderline and they could have killed someone. Instead they all basically rode to survive and still only about 8 of the people managed to complete 1 run out of 2 without falling.

It was definitely that. I'm like...if the cameras can't see through that wind and snow...how is anyone meant to do that and pull tricks?

I think they are riding the line for rescheduling as this seems to be very much what PyeongChang is LIKE in the winter some years, unavoidably so...so rescheduling may not accomplish anything as it would just shove things out of the Olympics window? Just a guess.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

On the the hand the weather makes the yetiathlon way more fun to watch.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 February 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

On the the hand the weather makes the yetiathlon way more fun to watch.

Nah, The yanks have that ringer Bigfoot...he's always showboating.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 February 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

It was definitely that. I'm like...if the cameras can't see through that wind and snow...how is anyone meant to do that and pull tricks?

I think they are riding the line for rescheduling as this seems to be very much what PyeongChang is LIKE in the winter some years, unavoidably so...so rescheduling may not accomplish anything as it would just shove things out of the Olympics window? Just a guess.

Even though there were delays, they managed to find a window to do the men's event.

They have weeks to get it in during the olympics and aren't using the course for much else. I got the sense they let TV scheduling/tickets/money drive the decision.

The only other real scheduling constraint would be other snowboard events the same athletes have to compete in.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#27 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 February 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

Yeah at first I was thinking "these girls aren't really doing much in the way of flashy trucks compared to the men yesterday..." And then I realised why.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

I’ve enjoyed the Chinese Downhill event but still think something was lost when they imposed armor and weapon standards.

#29 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Bloody hell. Chloe Kim just obliterated the competition. The rest didnt even come close. 98.25 versus the next best score of 89.something.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#30 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

That Luge is insane. I kind of want to try it but at the same time I think I'd be terrified of it!

Finally got to watch some skiing as well which I've not really seen yet. The downhill and shalom and whatnot are my favourites!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 13 February 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Oh more Curling. What utter joy

Curling was awesome!

Morris and Lawes take the Mixed Doubles for Gold, baby!

#32 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 13 February 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Oh more Curling. What utter joy

Curling is awesome.

#33 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Saw the Chloe Kim highlights. She is awesome, but already knew that because I've watched her in the Winter X Games the past few years.

If they gave out medals for the best smile, she'd win the gold, hands down.

#34 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 February 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

That Luge is insane. I kind of want to try it but at the same time I think I'd be terrified of it!

Finally got to watch some skiing as well which I've not really seen yet. The downhill and shalom and whatnot are my favourites!

Oh come one.

The Luge is anything but awesome. They just lie down on a weird thing and go downhill for five seconds and then three of them win a medal. It's hilarious, it's farcical, but awesome it is not.

/s
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#35 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

Youre outnumbered BK, curling is awesome.

Halfpipe tonight!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#36 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

Shaun White is awesome.

#37 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:52 AM

I'm really excited for the Alpine Skiing (I watch the World Cup when it makes in on US tv), but the wind keeps interfering! I hope the weather clears up soon or they'll have to straight up cancel some of the events ^_^

At least the men's combined went off yesterday, Marcel Hirscher is fun to watch, as are the Attacking Vikings (Norway). As is Mikaela Shiffrin, who now (hopefully) gets to race her best events back to back!

#38 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Maybe it's stuck?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#39 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

Watching the Skeleton competition. Damn that looks scary and a whole hell of a lot of fun at the same time. Great expectations for the S. Korean athlete to take it.

#40 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

Yeah. And taking those jumps backwards is just badass

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users